1,679 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Blood Pressure Monitor (Physician Review)
Published on January 30, 2011 by O. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Omron 785 Add ons are hard to use
Omron Series 10 blood pressure monitor. 3 stars

Published on February 2, 2011 by Chris Zee Shutterbug

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Blood Pressure Monitor (Physician Review), January 30, 2011
This review is from: Omron BP785 10 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor, Black/white (Health and Beauty)
*****
I got this blood pressure monitor for my husband's use--he is a physician with high blood pressure. He was not interested in using it to monitor his own blood pressure, but was very interested in using it in his clinic, as he had the manual type (called a sphygmomanometer) and his nurse was showing signs of carpal tunnel syndrome from manually pumping it up for each patient. So I agreed that he could use it there if he would write a review for me. Although this will not give feedback on the use of this monitor for individual use, I think that the review by a physician will be worthwhile and add something to the many reviews already published here. Here is his review:

"We just started using the Omron BP785, Series 10, blood pressure monitor in our medical clinic. We have tried other automatic blood pressure monitors before and were not satisfied as the readings were erratic at times. We have been impressed with the accuracy and ease of use of the Omron device.

The device is small, light, and has an easy-to-read face that measures 4.75 inches by 6 inches. The back of the device is elevated off the flat surface 3.5 inches, the front is elevated only .75 inches so the device is manufactured to rest on a flat surface and the face is tilted forward towards the user for ease of reading. The readings are in large size numbers also for easy reading.

The Omron, Series 10 has many unique features including an automatic calibration check system with dual sensors that automatically check each reading to insure accuracy. Other features include a cuff wrap guide to make sure the cuff is properly applied. The pre-formed cuff provided makes the cuff easy to apply and fits all size upper arms. In the "True Read Mode" the device takes three separate consecutive readings, one minute apart and displays the average of the three readings following the guidelines of the American Heart Association. The device also has an Irregular Heartbeat Detector that alerts the user of any irregular beats which is very helpful in a busy clinic. This allows my nurse to notify me of any patients with a previously unknown irregular heartbeat so I can refer them to a cardiologist ASAP. The device also has a 200 reading memory storage with date and time-stamp for easy research of the last 200 readings.

We have checked the Omron's accuracy against our standard sphygmomanometer and it appears to be very accurate for all three parameters of Systolic BP, Diastolic BP, and Pulse.

I would recommend this monitor for home use and even for medical office use without any reservations."

He said that he absolutely would give this product five stars. He has only been using it for about a week, so I will update this review after several months of his using it to see about a hundred patients a week. This would be useful in assessing its long term durability.

Highly recommended.
*****

UPDATE: Please see latest comments for additional informations and changes since this review was posted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Omron 785 Add ons are hard to use, February 2, 2011
Omron Series 10 blood pressure monitor. 3 stars

Not as useful/cost effective as the older/simpler models despite the wiz bang enhancements. (for my comparative review of a similar product see Panasonic EW-BU35W Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor, White) I have been an Omron user for about 10 years (7 series)from the time that consumer magazines rated their units as tops in accuracy. Arrhythmia or any pulse irregularity will cause problems with many other units, but not the Omron, either the older or the newer models. So what has changed? The display size and the white on black digits are indeed more readable, but the old plain LCD were not much worse. The comfort cuff at first I thought it would be more easy to put on. Its not. The thumb "guide" panel is positioned all wrong, if you put your thumb on the panel, the air tube winds up closer to the outside of the elbow as opposed to the inside where its supposed to be. The air tube length is short, but it is exactly the same length as the old units used to have. The preformed circular shape initially makes you think that putting it on with just one hand would be easier than in the past. Its not. The old style cuff you could leave in a very loose position and slip it on as a sleeve. Don't think about using the old cuff with the new base unit either. Omron has changed the diameter of the fitting. The old cuff tube flops around in the new size base opening. The unit design is very quirky as well. The on/off and the start/stop are now on one button. Unless you utilize the 3 reading averaging function (pain to use as you have to set it up during the turning on period), each time you want to redo the pressure test, you have to turn off the unit. The enhancements overall are very counterintuitive, the buttons have icons only and do not seem to make any sense. Whoever designed the user interface did not run very many real world tests. There are user A and user B functions, but unless you figure out how to use the "memo icon/averaging" and the day/night button and the left/right = up/down combo button, you will not be able to access the 7 weeks worth of averaging data for each person and for each time of day. Granted this is a very useful function, but even with the user manual in hand you will have to scratch your head a bit to figure it out. I recommend that you do not use the poorly implemented statistical functions in the unit itself and chart the daily readings in a spreadsheet or even on a piece of paper. Caution-I lost the built in averaging data when I unplugged and moved the unit without having batteries in it. The power adapter now comes with the units, and it does work in the older models if you want to do a comparison. In actual use I found the unit to be very consistent, obtaining reading in about 30 seconds. The inflation pressure monitors the pulse and only inflates about 20-30 mm Hg above what the highest expected reading will be. This behavior is about exactly the same as on older units. I have gotten a number of E1 errors, about 20% of the time I use the unit. This is a cuff problem error, the new cuff or error checking does not seem to be as fault tolerant as the older units. Placing the cuff over clothes, starting with the cuff overly loose, or the air tube too far away from the artery seems to generate more errors than before.
So in summary the latest and the greatest and more expensive model gets you a lot of gadgets that are not very user friendly. Keep the manual glued to the bottom of the unit, or better yet plot the results on a computer. The display is nice, the cuff is comfortable, but not as easy to adjust, or as fault tolerant as older models.

Update: The E1 error is annoying. I get it up to 33% (1 out of 3 measurements). The unit will not work with rechargable batteries (voltage is lower). Starts to inflate, then at about 20-30mm pressure the battery symbol flashes and the unit stops with a E2 error.
Update#2: I ran down my second set of batteries (good for about 75 measurements). Knowing that I lost data before, this time I plugged the unit into the AC adapter before changing the batteries. However I lost ALL the data, averages and individual readings, but not the clock interestingly enough. So it seems that if you run the batteries down to the point where the cuff only inflates part way, you have already lost data. My suggestion is to change the batteries as soon as the battery symbol starts to flash, which precludes using the rechargable batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full-featured monitor, January 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using an older version of this monitor, the Omron HEM-780 Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor with ComFit Cuff, for four and a half years. The 780 has held up well, but it gives me higher pressures than what I typically get in my physician's office; I took it to his office and several readings confirmed that my machine read about 5 points higher than his. My other issue with the 780 is that it too frequently stops with errors, which requires waiting a few minutes and trying again.

I have only used the BP785 for a couple of days, but it does read about 5 points lower than the 780, which leads me to believe that when I have my physician check it out it will likely be more in line with the readings he gets with the professional blood pressure cuff. It's too soon to tell if this machine will result in an annoying number of errors while reading, but I've used the Tru-Read setting, which is a nice feature that takes 3 consecutive readings and gives the average, and it recovered from an error automatically by doing an additional reading.

I did not find the instruction manual as poor as other reviewers do; perhaps I got a revised version, because mine has a few pages of illustrations that clearly label all the buttons with the terms used in the text. The Quick Start guide does omit a mention of the Tru-Read setting which you must set before you get to the option of setting the date. On the whole the manual is a lot clearer than most manuals I get these days. The 785 has quite a few features that I probably won't use often; the manual covers them in enough detail that I can figure out how to access them quickly when I want to.

The features that I like a lot are:
* The Tru-Read function, which takes 3 consecutive readings (you choose the time between readings, 15-120 secs.) and gives an average
* An indicator that shows if the cuff is attached properly (which should decrease the number of errors)
* An indicator that detects irregularities in the heart beat

Features that I won't use on a regular basis include:
* Tracking and averaging readings for 2 people
* A guest mode that will cause the reading to be omitted from tracked averages
* A history of weekly averages, including separate morning and evening averages

The monitor is quiet and fast. It appears to be accurate (that is, in line with my physician's readings). It has a lot of features, more than I need, but which I might someday want to use. On the other hand, it is large; it comes with a carrying bag, but it would probably not be a first choice for someone who wants to travel with it a lot. It is expensive; so if you don't want all the extra features, you can look save about $30 with a basic model.

4.0 out of 5 stars OVERCOMING "CUFF NOT OK" PROBLEMS, June 26, 2011
MikeCG "MikeCG" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Received my Omron BP785 10 Series from Amazon about a week ago, on a Saturday, and after digesting the instructions, experimenting with the various modes, and deciding how I wanted to use it, I find it simple to use and seemingly accurate, so I won't duplicate the other detailed reviews posted here.

However, I initially encountered one problem involving the cuff that came close to causing me to send it back: I frequently got the "CUFF NOT OK" error, and frequent but sporadic E2 and E5 errors. After a day of frustration (and having to wait until Monday because Customer Service is closed on weekends), I called Customer Service and was put through the usual routine of doing things I had already done by following the written instructions, somewhat frustrating because they assume you can't read or follow the instructions, but I guess they have to confirm the caller can read read English (or Spanish) and has actually done so. Finally the agent gave me information that seems to have solved the problem(s), and that she said IS NOT COVERED IN THE INSTRUCTIONS AND THAT THEY (Customer Support) DISCOVERED ON THEIR OWN, which is why I am writing this review and passing the information on.

First, she said, be sure to wrap the cuff VERY tightly, especially at the lower edge near the elbow. Second, and this seems to be the "secret ingredient" that made the difference for me, she said to WRAP THE CUFF IN A SLIGHT CONE SHAPE, SO IT IS A LITTLE LARGER AT THE TOP, TOWARD THE SHOULDER. It is possible the errors in my case were related to the size and shape of my bicep, which seems to me to be average/normal for a male, but that is something I will probably never know. Obviously, if you don't encounter the cuff problems, this review won't help, but the "tight cone shape cuff" solution has been working in my case. (If it stops working, I'll update this review.)

I use the "three averaged measurements" mode, with 30 seconds in between inflations, and also find that keeping my cuff (left) arm pressed gently against my side and taking care to hold still during the process seems to minimize the likelihood of cuff errors. All of this assumes compliance with the other instructions, e.g., correct orientation of the cuff, correct placement and orientation of the arm and hand, correct positioning of the feet and body, rest and relaxation before starting the test cycle, etc.

I hope this is of assistance to any users who encounter cuff errors, as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood pressure Monitor on Steroids! Great Features!, January 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
How fancy can a sphygmomanometer really get? Like the word itself, this blood pressure monitor has all the bells and whistles and is all it says it is. I've owned manual BP monitors created by Omron and they have always been good quality and priced fairly. This unit steps far beyond the basics and gives precision and usability in one very durable package.

The cuff feels comfortable and adds durability through stiffness that makes fitting it to different sized arms easy. There is a thumb guide on the cuff for placement and the cuff is molded to fit the upper arm (arms of all sizes). It is easy to use and there is a memory in the unit that accommodates two users and keeps track of both measurements. So my partner and I can measure our BP's and keep them in memory. User A and User B are accessed through a slider switch. The readout is large and bright and easy to read. The unit can be powered via 4 "AA" batteries or with the included AC adapter. It comes with it's own handy zip-case to carry it and stow it away.

I'll admit, this is not the most compact unit and it definitely is not the cheapest. There are extra features that provide precision and assurance. Features that include self-calibration and an indicator on the readout that let's the user know that they have the cuff fitted correctly before measurement (there is an indicator for that). It also looks at heartbeat and shows any irregularities.

If you need precision and have the space for the unit, it is worth the money. Of course nothing beats a trained health professional using a sphygmomanometer and stethoscope, but when that option is unrealistic this is the second best. I've used several different automatic and semi-automatic BP monitors and this is by far the best I've owned and used. In this case, you do get what you pay for.

5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice BP monitor for the right user, but a poor manual, January 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This monitor appears to be a high quality device. The device's memory capabilities allow it to store 100 sets of measurement values for each of two users, plus 8 weeks worth of weekly averages for morning and evening readings for each of two users.

As one might expect of a device with fairly elaborate options like those, it has a somewhat complex and non-intuitive user interface. This monitor would be overkill for someone who's only interested in making an occasional spot-check of his or her blood pressure, and will likely be a source of frustration for anyone who's not comfortable with high-tech gadgets.

Beyond that, my only complaint with the unit is its user manual. This is a 50-page booklet, and you'll want to keep it on hand if you intend to use any of the monitor's options beyond the most basic. Unfortunately, it's quite badly written. In no particular order, here are some of my peeves with the manual:

The user is instructed to press the SET button for various functions. Unfortunately, there is no button on the device marked "SET", and at no point is it explained what this button looks like. (By reference to one of the illustrations, I deduced that it's the button with a clock face on it.)

There are separate instructions for taking a reading in "single mode" and in "Truread(TM) mode". As far as steps the user takes, these "modes" are identical, so the duplicate instructions are confusing and a waste of space. To find out what the heck the differences are between these modes and how you choose one or the other, you have to refer to another part of the manual, "Setting the date/time and TruRead".

Throughout the manual, the button with a right-facing arrow is called the "up" button, and the button with a left-facing arrow is the "down" button. Matching the name to the actual direction of the arrows--or vice-versa--would have been nice.

Some sentences that are simply bad English appear: "The first measurement is complete, waiting to start the second measurement." and "While holding the Memory button and the Start/Stop button simultaneously for more than two seconds all values will be deleted."

Aside from those complaints, this appears to be a device of respectable quality, as I noted. One can hope that the manual will be updated and improved, just as one hopes that its currently-useless and error-riddled Amazon page will be fixed and fleshed out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Monitoring Tool, April 15, 2011
JDP (Margaritaville) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ranging from bathroom scales to pedometers, we've been a regular user of several of the Omron products. Most we like. There are a couple that we still wonder about. Our older Omron BP710 Blood Pressure unit is not one them. Even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer models, it still keeps on performing. We welcomed the opportunity to take the Omron BP785 for a test run. After about six weeks use, these are my thoughts.

After opening the box, I completed a brief inventory and read over the instructions. This unit operates on (4) AA batteries which are not included. The Omron BP785 Monitor Kit comes with (1) monitor, (1) cuff, AC adapter, instructions, quick start guide, and a storage case. Like most companies nowadays, the manufacturer obviously went on the cheap when it came to supplying a quality storage case. The zippered storage case is not padded and offers limited protection at best. I know first hand how accidental drops effect electronic gear. The manufacturer does tag a 5 year limited warranty on this product.

With a family member who suffers from high blood pressure, having a reliable monitoring tool in place is paramount. I've found taking morning and evening blood pressure readings to be quite helpful. What I like most about the BP710 is that its compact, light weight and has an easy on the eyes LCD monitor. My first concern was true calibration. That worry went out the window with this model. I compared the readings with that of our family doctor's gear on a recent visit and found them to be accurate. With its auto calibration in play it delivers a true reading each and every time.

I like the one size fits all cuff. The guide for proper cuffing of the arm is very handy for first time users too. The Omron BP785 also alerts me when the cuff has been wrapped correctly. Another big plus for me is that this unit performs three separate readings. It displays the average. For folks that are not aware of any current heart problems, the Irregular Heartbeat Detector is a vital tool for alerting the user of a potential problem.

I found the the Two User Mode quite handy. It stores about up to 100 readings for both users. It didn't take me long to utilize this function. The date and time stamp came in very helpful when back tracking for data. I know I'll be using this feature quite often.

Overall, I have to say that the Omron BP785 Monitor has done a great job of providing accurate readings. I found absolutely no hiccups in the process. Its convenient, portable and easy to use. I believe the folks at Omron got this one right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made product & accurate, fits larger arms, February 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Omron BP785 monitor is well made, has an extremely easy to read display, and is very simple to setup and use immediately. This version comes with an AC adapter and carrying case, although the carrying case is the cheapest made part overall. However, the case is sufficient to hold the monitor and the booklets that come with it.

In another review, someone stated the manual was very lacking and gave an example that the SET button was not identified. However, on page 9 of the manual, titled "Know your unit", it identifies all of the buttons and parts of the machine and clearly notates which button is the SET button. Additionally, the unit came with a "Getting Started" quick guide and on Step 2 (Date & Time Setting Option), it tells you to press the SET button by indicating it with an icon that matches the unit and provides a picture of the unit itself with a finger about to touch the button. While I have seen many poorly written instruction manuals, this is certainly not one of them.

That being said, I tried to use the unit immediately without reading the manual at all since that is the tendency for most people. I simply put the cuff on where I thought it should go, placed the plug in the unit's body, and hit the start button. It immediately took a measurement without any problems, although I did find the display was not indicating "OK" for the cuff adjustment and I did not have the cuff aligned quite the way it is supposed to be to ensure a more accurate reading but the only changed very minimally after I made adjustments.

I really like the ability of this unit to track the history of readings for two people. It makes sharing the unit with someone easy and there is no need to record the readings separately since it keeps up to 200 in memory. The cuff is sized to fit smaller arms as well as larger arms without any difficulty and does not require you to switch to a different cuff like they sometimes do at the doctor's office.

In order to use the TruRead feature, you do have to go through some simple settings to enable it and to change the default settings, if you so desire. By default, it will take 3 readings 60 seconds apart and then provide you an average. You can change these settings, including how long to wait between each reading. I found 60 seconds to be a bit long and changed it to 30 and liked the fact that the unit counts down the remaining time while you wait.

Overall, I think this blood pressure monitor is well worth the money for anyone concerned about their blood pressure or who needs to monitor theirs regularly at home. I have an older unit from a different manufacturer which never provided very accurate results; I am quite pleased to have been offered to try this unit out and ultimately replace what I had with a reliable, easy to use one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, March 21, 2011
I purchased the unit of 2.11.11 and it worked fine until 3.21.11 at which time the unit failed to measure the blood pressure when set to person A. I called Omron customer service and it took over 10 minutes to finally reach a live person. That person reviewed how to use the unit and I advised her of the problem. She stated I should send it back to Omron with a description of the problem together with a check for $8.00 to cover handling and shipping. Hence, for a unit a little more than a month old, I have to pay to ship the unit to Omron and to ship the unit back to me. I will be without the use of the unit until it is repaired a returned.Omron BP785 10 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor, Black/white, Large

1.0 out of 5 stars inaccurate, July 23, 2011
B. Fleming (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Because it was going to be important to take my husbands blood pressure after surgery, I bought a unit for upstairs (the Omron 10), a cheaper Omron for downstairs and a manual cuff (I am a physician so know how to use it). The manual cuffs are just harder to inflate- it is relatively easy to use them though other than the inflation (which is only hard if you are doing repeated readings or have arthritis/tendinitis in your hands). That is why I purchased the automatic ones.

I find that the Omron 10 is inaccurate 50% of the time (based on the manual check and in comparison to the other automatic unit). Done enough checks to confirm this myself along with a blood pressure reading at my physician's office. I have a larger arm so perhaps that is part of the problem. AT any rate, I would definitely NOT recommend this unit. It is also variable (less variable though) when my husband uses it.

Unless you have a reason that you do not or can not learn to use the manual cuff, that is your cheapest, most accurate, and least frustrating way to take blood pressure (your own or someone else's). Do not purchase this unit.

Rate and Discover Movies