2,331
Price:$74.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 1,418 reviews (5 star)show all reviews
1,044 of 1,080 people found the following review helpful
*****
I got this blood pressure monitor for my husband's use--he is a physician with high blood pressure. He was not interested in using it to monitor his own blood pressure, but was very interested in using it in his clinic, as he had the manual type (called a sphygmomanometer) and his nurse was showing signs of carpal tunnel syndrome from manually pumping it up for each patient. So I agreed that he could use it there if he would write a review for me. Although this will not give feedback on the use of this monitor for individual use, I think that the review by a physician will be worthwhile and add something to the many reviews already published here. Here is his review:

"We just started using the Omron BP785, Series 10, blood pressure monitor in our medical clinic. We have tried other automatic blood pressure monitors before and were not satisfied as the readings were erratic at times. We have been impressed with the accuracy and ease of use of the Omron device.

The device is small, light, and has an easy-to-read face that measures 4.75 inches by 6 inches. The back of the device is elevated off the flat surface 3.5 inches, the front is elevated only .75 inches so the device is manufactured to rest on a flat surface and the face is tilted forward towards the user for ease of reading. The readings are in large size numbers also for easy reading.

The Omron, Series 10 has many unique features including an automatic calibration check system with dual sensors that automatically check each reading to insure accuracy. Other features include a cuff wrap guide to make sure the cuff is properly applied. The pre-formed cuff provided makes the cuff easy to apply and fits all size upper arms. In the "True Read Mode" the device takes three separate consecutive readings, one minute apart and displays the average of the three readings following the guidelines of the American Heart Association. The device also has an Irregular Heartbeat Detector that alerts the user of any irregular beats which is very helpful in a busy clinic. This allows my nurse to notify me of any patients with a previously unknown irregular heartbeat so I can refer them to a cardiologist ASAP. The device also has a 200 reading memory storage with date and time-stamp for easy research of the last 200 readings.

We have checked the Omron's accuracy against our standard sphygmomanometer and it appears to be very accurate for all three parameters of Systolic BP, Diastolic BP, and Pulse.

I would recommend this monitor for home use and even for medical office use without any reservations."

He said that he absolutely would give this product five stars. He has only been using it for about a week, so I will update this review after several months of his using it to see about a hundred patients a week. This would be useful in assessing its long term durability.

Highly recommended.
*****

UPDATE: Please see latest comments for additional informations and changes since this review was posted.
3434 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: LargeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
How fancy can a sphygmomanometer really get? Like the word itself, this blood pressure monitor has all the bells and whistles and is all it says it is. I've owned manual BP monitors created by Omron and they have always been good quality and priced fairly. This unit steps far beyond the basics and gives precision and usability in one very durable package.

The cuff feels comfortable and adds durability through stiffness that makes fitting it to different sized arms easy. There is a thumb guide on the cuff for placement and the cuff is molded to fit the upper arm (arms of all sizes). It is easy to use and there is a memory in the unit that accommodates two users and keeps track of both measurements. So my partner and I can measure our BP's and keep them in memory. User A and User B are accessed through a slider switch. The readout is large and bright and easy to read. The unit can be powered via 4 "AA" batteries or with the included AC adapter. It comes with it's own handy zip-case to carry it and stow it away.

I'll admit, this is not the most compact unit and it definitely is not the cheapest. There are extra features that provide precision and assurance. Features that include self-calibration and an indicator on the readout that let's the user know that they have the cuff fitted correctly before measurement (there is an indicator for that). It also looks at heartbeat and shows any irregularities.

If you need precision and have the space for the unit, it is worth the money. Of course nothing beats a trained health professional using a sphygmomanometer and stethoscope, but when that option is unrealistic this is the second best. I've used several different automatic and semi-automatic BP monitors and this is by far the best I've owned and used. In this case, you do get what you pay for.

5 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 15, 2011
Size Name: LargeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ranging from bathroom scales to pedometers, we've been a regular user of several of the Omron products. Most we like. There are a couple that we still wonder about. Our older Omron BP710 Blood Pressure unit is not one them. Even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer models, it still keeps on performing. We welcomed the opportunity to take the Omron BP785 for a test run. After about six weeks use, these are my thoughts.

After opening the box, I completed a brief inventory and read over the instructions. This unit operates on (4) AA batteries which are not included. The Omron BP785 Monitor Kit comes with (1) monitor, (1) cuff, AC adapter, instructions, quick start guide, and a storage case. Like most companies nowadays, the manufacturer obviously went on the cheap when it came to supplying a quality storage case. The zippered storage case is not padded and offers limited protection at best. I know first hand how accidental drops effect electronic gear. The manufacturer does tag a 5 year limited warranty on this product.

With a family member who suffers from high blood pressure, having a reliable monitoring tool in place is paramount. I've found taking morning and evening blood pressure readings to be quite helpful. What I like most about the BP710 is that its compact, light weight and has an easy on the eyes LCD monitor. My first concern was true calibration. That worry went out the window with this model. I compared the readings with that of our family doctor's gear on a recent visit and found them to be accurate. With its auto calibration in play it delivers a true reading each and every time.

I like the one size fits all cuff. The guide for proper cuffing of the arm is very handy for first time users too. The Omron BP785 also alerts me when the cuff has been wrapped correctly. Another big plus for me is that this unit performs three separate readings. It displays the average. For folks that are not aware of any current heart problems, the Irregular Heartbeat Detector is a vital tool for alerting the user of a potential problem.

I found the the Two User Mode quite handy. It stores about up to 100 readings for both users. It didn't take me long to utilize this function. The date and time stamp came in very helpful when back tracking for data. I know I'll be using this feature quite often.

Overall, I have to say that the Omron BP785 Monitor has done a great job of providing accurate readings. I found absolutely no hiccups in the process. Its convenient, portable and easy to use. I believe the folks at Omron got this one right.
VINE VOICEon February 2, 2011
Size Name: LargeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Omron BP785 monitor is well made, has an extremely easy to read display, and is very simple to setup and use immediately. This version comes with an AC adapter and carrying case, although the carrying case is the cheapest made part overall. However, the case is sufficient to hold the monitor and the booklets that come with it.

In another review, someone stated the manual was very lacking and gave an example that the SET button was not identified. However, on page 9 of the manual, titled "Know your unit", it identifies all of the buttons and parts of the machine and clearly notates which button is the SET button. Additionally, the unit came with a "Getting Started" quick guide and on Step 2 (Date & Time Setting Option), it tells you to press the SET button by indicating it with an icon that matches the unit and provides a picture of the unit itself with a finger about to touch the button. While I have seen many poorly written instruction manuals, this is certainly not one of them.

That being said, I tried to use the unit immediately without reading the manual at all since that is the tendency for most people. I simply put the cuff on where I thought it should go, placed the plug in the unit's body, and hit the start button. It immediately took a measurement without any problems, although I did find the display was not indicating "OK" for the cuff adjustment and I did not have the cuff aligned quite the way it is supposed to be to ensure a more accurate reading but the only changed very minimally after I made adjustments.

I really like the ability of this unit to track the history of readings for two people. It makes sharing the unit with someone easy and there is no need to record the readings separately since it keeps up to 200 in memory. The cuff is sized to fit smaller arms as well as larger arms without any difficulty and does not require you to switch to a different cuff like they sometimes do at the doctor's office.

In order to use the TruRead feature, you do have to go through some simple settings to enable it and to change the default settings, if you so desire. By default, it will take 3 readings 60 seconds apart and then provide you an average. You can change these settings, including how long to wait between each reading. I found 60 seconds to be a bit long and changed it to 30 and liked the fact that the unit counts down the remaining time while you wait.

Overall, I think this blood pressure monitor is well worth the money for anyone concerned about their blood pressure or who needs to monitor theirs regularly at home. I have an older unit from a different manufacturer which never provided very accurate results; I am quite pleased to have been offered to try this unit out and ultimately replace what I had with a reliable, easy to use one.
on July 6, 2011
Yes, some users of the Omron BP785 found the manual
hard to understand and the unit hard to use. I didn't
find it all that difficult and had it up and running in
a little over half an hour after carefully reading the
manual first. Omron also supplies a shortened "Getting
Started" manual as well.

Actually the manual is quite well-written and gives
good step-by-step instructions. The only improvement I
can recommend is in the instructions for changing between
the single-read mode and the Truread (average of three
readings) mode. I called their tech support line at
1-800-634-4350 and received prompt and courteous help
with that issue.

This unit is highly recommended but, please, read
the manual carefully. Don't just wing it.
Size Name: Large
First, the bad. The cuff is just terrible. It never feels as if you have it on. It flops around. And, when you are taking your pressure, you hear it coming loose. I've no idea why a good company with an otherwise good product would make a cuff like this. Perhaps they had a reason. But I can't imagine what it would be.

Moreover, when you take more than one reading by using the three-time reads, it will almost always give you the signal that the cuff is not on right. This happens after the first reading. Therefore, are you getting the right numbers? I don't know. So, I usually take one reading two or three times.

Now, the good. It's accurate. I've tested it and found it an accurate unit that you can depend on. Also, it has lots of valuable features. But, I'm considering buying a new monitor because I'm so annoyed with the cuff of this one. And, I think I want one that I can hook directly to my ipod as I now keep my records on the ipod and ipad.

Now, one reviewer said you'll need someone to put the cuff on for you. Not so. You can put it on. But you likely won't like it and it's a bear to deal with. As someone else said, getting it on will give you high blood pressure. (said that in jest)

UPDATE: I re-read the manual and got the cuff problem solved. The answer is in the manual but you sort of have to dig it out and look at the graphic. What you do is put your right thumb on the plastic piece. The air tube should go down your arm on the underside and the cuff should be about 1/2 inch from the line dividing the upper arm and forearm. Wrap the cuff and then (this is the key) fold the extra material under. It will sort of snap closed with a small piece of velco or something.

After I did this, I let it do the three readings and had no trouble. No more noises like it was going to come off. It really worked great after that. Try it and I think you'll find it a good unit. You might want to re-read your manual or download one of the free ones online and print it out.

== Susanna K. Hutcheson
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: LargeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have three blood pressure meters - one wrist type and two that use arm cuffs. This unit is the best of the three. The display is bright and, with white backlit letters on a black background, very easy to read. (Most other units have much lower contrast black letters on a white background) The tubing feels like a silicone rubber and is very flexible. The cuff seems well constructed and will likely last for years of normal use...I'll update this if/when it fails.

Other important features:
- You can have two users, selected by a slide switch on the front. A "guest mode" allows you to measure a friend's blood pressure without having it influence your average readings...it allows you to play around with it a bit.
- The memory can store 100 readings
- Irregular heartbeats are detected and flagged on the screen
- After setting the internal clock, morning hypertension can be detected
- There is a feature called "Truread" (TM), that takes three successive readings and averages them together. You can select the delay between readings from 15 seconds up to 2 minutes
- The system does a self-check when you turn it on. A diagnostic code is displayed if errors are detected.
- It can run from 4 AA batteries and/or a small wall power block.

The readings seem to closely track my other cuff meter, which I've checked against the mercury column BP meter in my doctors office...that's not the same as calibrating against a primary standard, but it's certainly close enough for most purposes.

Highly recommended.
on January 11, 2012
Size Name: LargeVerified Purchase
Some reviewers complained that they had trouble getting the OK sign. I called customer service and found out the reason I was having trouble was that it was too close to my computer. I moved it and it works perfectly every time.

It is accurate and easy to use.
on August 2, 2011
Size Name: LargeVerified Purchase
I am not a techno savvy person.
One of the reviews I read before purchasing stated that the instruction manual was too complicated.
I used the "getting Started" booklet that is also included, and had the unit programmed and taking my blood pressure in less than five minutes.
It's easy, accurate and quick.
on December 30, 2011
Size Name: LargeVerified Purchase
When I got home from the doctors I told my wife that I had hypertension and my GP wanted to put me on a "pill". He also told me to take blood pressure readings several times a week and return with the numbers in 3-months. Luckily (I thought) I had an older blood pressure monitor at home (Omron from 2007). So I started taking my blood pressure every morning. I was very dissappointed. Even with the daily pill my numbers were still really high. I did some research on the web and Consumer Reports. The latest model (Omron BP785) was highly recommended. So of course I bought it on Amazon (at a great price). When it came I immediately started using it and low and behold the numbers were both lower and more consistent. I did start drinking more water every day (my wifes doing) and 30 minutes of cardio every day.

My blood pressure is now down in the "normal" range and I am considering to stop taking the "pill". It is a 25mg dieuretic. I return to my doctor in a few weeks and will discuss.

Bottom line, the Omron Model BP785 is a winner.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations