5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent & Reliable
Published on April 17, 2009 by Jeff Kraus

3.0 out of 5 stars Read if you have medical implants . . . . .
Published on December 24, 2010 by Kathleen H. Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent & Reliable, April 17, 2009
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was excited to get this scale. It's my first scale that does more than tell you how much you weigh. I don't really have a way to tell how accurate the weight reading is. But I do know that it's consistent. I've tried all sorts of different tests: Weighing myself multiple times, recalibrating the scale each time, weighing myself with shoes, then without shoes, then weighing the shoes to see if me + shoes = me wearing shoes, etc. etc. The numbers always seem to come out the way they should.

The same goes for the other readings - I have no way of knowing how accurate they are. But across a few days, resting metabolism varies by no more than 10-15 calories, skeletal muscle and body fat stay within 1%, visceral fat is always the same number, and BMI only varies slightly with day-to-day weight changes.

It's been a little under three weeks so far with the scale, so I haven't really had it long enough to see a significant trend forming based on my recent exercise regimen. But being able to see all of those values really keeps your behavior in check. Every time you see one of the values change for the better, it helps to renew your resolve. I've got a lot of room to improve, and I think this scale is really going to help me maintain my focus.

In my opinion, it's worth more than what I paid for it. I only wish (manufacturers, take note!) that there was more you could do with the memory function. It keeps 90 days worth of data for each user profile, but you can only view today, yesterday, last week, last month, and 90 days ago. I'd like to see a little USB port in there where you could put a memory stick and it would download a CSV or other delimited text file containing your history. It would be a simple matter to import the file into a spreadsheet application to view charts and graphs of your progress.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent scale, June 12, 2010
This review is from: Omron HBF-514C Full Body Composition Sensing Monitor and Scale (Health and Beauty)
Omron Full Body Sensor Body Fat and Body Composition Monitor
This is a terrific scale. It works by using the bioelectrical impedance method which is as accurate as similar medical grade products. Basically it just sends a weak electrical signal through your body to determine the amount of water in each tissue. Tissues such as muscles, blood and bone have a high water content but fat has a low water content so the scale can "see" the amount and give an accurate reading. It measures BMI, % of fat, visceral fat which is the fat that surrounds your internal organs and is, in my opinion, the best measurement this scale takes. It also measures resting metabolism rate giving you the amount of calories you need just to sustain everyday functions. The more you exercise the more calories you need, so when you see that value go up it's telling you that you are doing a good job exercising. This number fluctuates morning to night. It also measures the skeletal muscle which is the muscle that we can see and feel. As that number increases you can see that your exercising program is working. This measurement is closely related to your resting metabolism rate ie as that increases so does your RMR. Oh yeah it also measures your body age which is, duh, the age of your body not your real age. That is fun to see how young your body is. I am 62 and my body age is 48 - 51. Yea!.
You need to measure the same time every day to keep an accurate record. It will store 4 permanent records but bunches of people can use it as a "guest" and find out how good or bad they are doing. I plan to take it to my gym to see if anyone is interested in finding out. Just read something I didn't know. It can also measure by using your hands on the plates on the scale. This comes in handy if for some reason, you have lower extremity edema or an increase in water content in your legs. Will try that way tomorrow.
I researched a bunch of scales but this one came out on top. I read somewhere that the Omron tested the best when compared to medical grade equipment which tells me that it is the most accurate.
For a unit like this I expected to pay well over $100. I was pleasantly surprised at the
$79 price tag. If you can afford it this is the monitor to buy. You can keep track of your weight loss and how well you are exercising and because of the method Omron uses you your values are really accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product saved my life, August 28, 2011
James L. Rader (Antelope, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Great product saved my life
When I purchased this body monitor I thought it was a bathroom scale. It quickly taught me otherwise. It told me that my body was 8 years older than the calendar indicated! Further it convinced me that I was not fat! No I was Obese! and to add insult to that it informed me that I had less muscle than fat!
With that information I went on a portion control diet of 1600 calories a day and lost 50 pounds in the following 6 months.
I still use this monitor regularly as I try to build muscle and gain stamina. I am now old 4 years older than I should be. Today I weighted myself and first notices that I had gained 1.5 pounds, but wait it further told me that I had lost more fat and all of the gain was muscle!
If you want to enjoy the years you have left you need this tool and you need to learn how to interpret it's readings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Body Composition testing -Reliable and easy, November 2, 2010
I purchased this for my to use with patients in my wellness clinic. It arrived promptly 2 days after ordering it. After reading the instructions, it was pretty easy to use. Now I have to teach my staff how to use it on my patients. It is a very powerful wellness assessment tool to give people a more comprehensive picture of their health profile (before they develop disease and need to get a series of expensive medical tests). The Basal Metabolic Rate, The Visceral Fat , and the "Real Age" readings are invaluable. It helps map the direction person needs to make when being proactive in managing their health, not disease.

WARNING: Suited for the average population. It will NOT give accurate reading for bodybuilders, wrestlers, or athletes with a high BMI.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - just know what you are getting, February 10, 2012
RobS (Harleysville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I've been using this product for about 9 weeks now. It is very good for what it is. If you want an extremely accurate body fat measurement then this device is NOT for you. Instead you should make an appointment with a dietician and get a four-point caliper or buoyancy test done.
When used properly this product will give you consistent weight and body fat measurements so that you can gauge progress. The instructions are clear and they do state that you should take readings at the same time of day without recent intake of food or water and at least two to three hours after excercise.
I use the scale once or twice a week as soon as I wake up and do my business. The results are consistent and give me the feedback I need to adjust my diet / training if necessary. If I take 4 measurements in one day the results are inconsistent and inaccurate because of food and water intake and hydration levels.
A few recommendations for this product (or any other fat monitor / scale):
-take measurements at the same time of day
-place on a hard floor, not a carpet
-follow directions exactly. This product has specific instructions on placement of hands and feet for accurate measurement
-do not store in a humid environment. Mine is stored in a linen closet and taken out when I want to use it.

Products like this are designed for convenience. They are not perfect and they do not give 100% accurate results. The best you can hope for is consistent results to see if what you are doing is working or needs adjustment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read if you have medical implants . . . . ., December 24, 2010
Having lost 136 pounds and still some to go, I was looking for another tool to help me measure my progress. The Omron 514 read like a dream --- so I ordered it! When it arrived, I opened the box and got the manual and commenced to read. On the second page, it stated that persons with a medical implant, such as a pacemaker, shoud NOT use this. It makes sense that an electrical impulse could upset a pacemaker, but what about artificial knees like I have. I went to the Omron website, nothing, not even the warning. I sent Omron an email asking about artificial knees; of course, emails are slow to be answered and I wanted an answer. So I called Omron, anything metal will disrupt the electrical impulse and cause the readings to be inaccurate. I am returning this machine; I have no idea how well it might work for others, but those of us who are mechanically enhanced cannot use this item.

Since this warning could have an impact on one's buy/not buy decision, the warning should be on Amazon's and Omron's websites. The Omron 514 is completely worthless to me and others like me. However, Amazon has issued my return slip and shipping label with no questions - definitely a plus!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMRON BODY FAT MONITOR, February 19, 2010
I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my wife. We both use this item since it can track our individual results. At first, it was confusing to understand the history that was being recorded, but once we had used it for a few weeks, we found that scrolling through history revealed our past recordings. Would recommend weighing around the same time when you desire to record all the areas measured. We noticed that if we took a second recording shortly after the first, there was slight variation in some of the measurements. When multiple people are using this, recommend turning on the scale (a button on the rear of the scale), wait for the display to register, and then select the number corresponding to the person weighing before you step on the scale. We have found that holding the reader at the 90 degree position in measuring BMI, etc. will provide more consistent readings. We avoid keeping this scale in the bathroom to minimize the potential for damage due to high humidity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a scale?, August 6, 2009
This scale is AWESOME. Usually I have to work with a personal trainer to get an accurate body fat% or visceral fat number, so it's nice to find a product I can use at home. My trainer used a hand-held version by Omron(like the part that comes off of the scale that you hold in your hand) and it was as accurate as using a regular caliper(sp?). This scale can handle keeping track of multiple people and also keeps a 90-day history for each person. Pretty great. Compared to the old scale that I had, this one is miles ahead of it and more accurate (for those interested, I had a Tanita body fat bathroom scale). Get it!! It's comparable in price to other scales and is fantastic!! Of course, Amazon shipping was great as usual as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not worth the extra $$, January 25, 2010
I bought this to replace my old Tanita body-fat scale. In my opinion, this scale is fine, but unless you are really into some of its special features, it's not worth the 2-3 times more money you will pay to get this instead of a more basic scale.

Features and comments

- Measures weight to nearest 0.2 lb (or 0.1 kg), estimates body fat to nearest 0.1%. This is good precision for a scale - my old scale measured to the nearest 0.5 lb and 0.5% body fat. Based on a 30 day comparison against my old scale, the weight measurement is very similar to the old scale.
Body fat, however, swings up and down much more heavily on the Omron. The overall average is similar, but any given day's measurement is likely to be farther off the average. (I haven't been able to find a consumer reports or similar comparison of accuracy, but I would love to see one.)

I had thought that the addition of the handles would produce more accuracy in the body fat measurement, but from what I have read, the feet-only scales are just about as accurate. (According to Omron's literature, the handles are good for end-of-day measurement, when gravity may have drawn more water to your legs).

- Also calculates body mass index and estimates visceral fat level, skeletal muscle %, resting metabolism, and body age. Frankly, though, I can take or leave these measurements. BMI is easily calculated from weight and doesn't add much, and all of the rest of the measurements (including body fat %) are estimates based on the electrical conductivity of your body. Based on that, the scale estimates how much of your body is fat and how much is not, giving you body fat %. If the other numbers do anything for you, that's great, but for me, they're (1) basically another way of stating body fat % and (2) too many numbers to keep track of over time.

- Can store profiles for up to 4 people. This is a pretty nice feature if 3 or 4 people will be using the scale. If not, look into the scales that only store profiles for 1 or 2 people, as needed - you will save some money.

- Remembers weigh-in data for each person at 1, 7, 30, and 90 days. For some reason, although the scale stores the most recent 97 days, it will only display the 4 dates listed, plus the longest date within the 97 day memory.

Basically, this scale does what it advertises, but most people probably won't get much out of the hand grips, or out of the additional calculations. Unless you're sure you want it, I would recommend a simpler, feet only scale that sticks to weight and body fat %.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS SCALE IS BAZONKADOODLES!, March 2, 2010
K. Major (Baghdad, Iraq) - See all my reviews
My Shugah Booger bought me this scale and had it sent to me in Iraq as a gift. I was doing cardio and weight training at the same time and had no way to really gauge my progress. Although I was putting in a lot of work, the reading on that old balance beam scale in the gym never seemed to change. I was hoping that I was trading lean muscle mass for body fat but couldn't be sure. With this scale, there is no guesswork. It's about the size of every other bathroom scale. And it wasn't too hard to figure out. I read through the instruction manual in about 30min, stuck the batteries in (batteries came included, how many products do that...), and fired it up. You can use it as a regular bathroom scale and simply measure body weight. Or you can input your body vitals and get readings on BMI, body weight, visceral fat, skeletal muscle, and body age. This was perfect for me because instead of scope locking on weight, I was able to monitor the reduction in my overall bodyfat which is what I really only cared about. It also keeps an historical record every time you step on it. It does daily, weekly, and monthly highs. Also, it can store data for up to four different people. That's good for family or roommmates. I absolutely love this scale. Hands down, it's the best one I've ever owned. Thanks, Baby! I'm fixin' to be the fittest dude in all of Baghdad. 178 days closer to coming home...GET SOME!