Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Omron Body Composition Monitor with Scale - 7 Fitness Indicators & 90-Day Memory
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 13, 2011
I've been using this scale for a few months now and according to this scale it showed that my body fat was always fluctuating from 25%-27% body fat. (I've been believing it ever since). Just earlier today, I tried another body fat scale measurement product from Omron which displayed me at 14% body fat, which I'm quite sure is more accurate since I have a build of a decent athlete. I thought the purchase of this product would be quite convenient since it would display my weight + body fat all in one product, but now that I figured that the body fat measurement is off, I'm quite upset about this purchase. In conclusion, DON'T RELY ON THIS FOR BODY PERCENT FAT AT ALL.
66 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2010
Inaccurate reading Im 6'6" and 228lbs athlete ...It gave me 25 % body fat and a body age of 72 I laughed to myself as i returned the item
Oh and in the manual it states it may give inaccurate readings for athletes and bodybuilders ... So aside from people that work hard on their body who else would want this kind of info?
Anyone recommend one that works ?
55 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2010
My Shugah Booger bought me this scale and had it sent to me in Iraq as a gift. I was doing cardio and weight training at the same time and had no way to really gauge my progress. Although I was putting in a lot of work, the reading on that old balance beam scale in the gym never seemed to change. I was hoping that I was trading lean muscle mass for body fat but couldn't be sure. With this scale, there is no guesswork. It's about the size of every other bathroom scale. And it wasn't too hard to figure out. I read through the instruction manual in about 30min, stuck the batteries in (batteries came included, how many products do that...), and fired it up. You can use it as a regular bathroom scale and simply measure body weight. Or you can input your body vitals and get readings on BMI, body weight, visceral fat, skeletal muscle, and body age. This was perfect for me because instead of scope locking on weight, I was able to monitor the reduction in my overall bodyfat which is what I really only cared about. It also keeps an historical record every time you step on it. It does daily, weekly, and monthly highs. Also, it can store data for up to four different people. That's good for family or roommmates. I absolutely love this scale. Hands down, it's the best one I've ever owned. Thanks, Baby! I'm fixin' to be the fittest dude in all of Baghdad. 178 days closer to coming home...GET SOME!
on July 24, 2013
I purchased the Omron HBF-514C on Amazon's sister site, Woot. The LCD failed after less than a month of use. It had little blobs of black all over it, under the surface clear plastic. The surface plastic was without a scratch. Bummed, I mailed the scale back to Omron Warranty repair on my nickel (about $14 USPS) with a description of the problem and my contact information. A month or so later, I received a box back from Omron. Great - there's my repaired scale, right? No! They sent me back the broken scale with a note that the damage was caused by me, the user, not defective manufacturing. Now, first of all, I did not do anything to damage the scale. Second, would it not have been nice for them to call me while they still had the scale to discuss repair options if they felt I'd damaged it? Many companies would also offer to send me a refurbished product for some nominal cost. Still thinking maybe Omron has some semblance of customer service I called their US customer service line. After a long call, 30 minutes at least, the agent told me that what I needed to do was to call another person, a supervisor, and plead my case with them. Or I could spend another $14 and send the scale to them again for reconsideration. Now my time is worth something, and I've simply given up. I am writing this experience off as a $55 (inexpensive right?) lesson in why one should never, ever invest in anything manufactured by Omron. And by this comment, I am hoping to pass along my lesson to others much less expensively.
VINE VOICEon January 25, 2010
I bought this to replace my old Tanita body-fat scale. In my opinion, this scale is fine, but unless you are really into some of its special features, it's not worth the 2-3 times more money you will pay to get this instead of a more basic scale.

Features and comments

- Measures weight to nearest 0.2 lb (or 0.1 kg), estimates body fat to nearest 0.1%. This is good precision for a scale - my old scale measured to the nearest 0.5 lb and 0.5% body fat. Based on a 30 day comparison against my old scale, the weight measurement is very similar to the old scale.
Body fat, however, swings up and down much more heavily on the Omron. The overall average is similar, but any given day's measurement is likely to be farther off the average. (I haven't been able to find a consumer reports or similar comparison of accuracy, but I would love to see one.)

I had thought that the addition of the handles would produce more accuracy in the body fat measurement, but from what I have read, the feet-only scales are just about as accurate. (According to Omron's literature, the handles are good for end-of-day measurement, when gravity may have drawn more water to your legs).

- Also calculates body mass index and estimates visceral fat level, skeletal muscle %, resting metabolism, and body age. Frankly, though, I can take or leave these measurements. BMI is easily calculated from weight and doesn't add much, and all of the rest of the measurements (including body fat %) are estimates based on the electrical conductivity of your body. Based on that, the scale estimates how much of your body is fat and how much is not, giving you body fat %. If the other numbers do anything for you, that's great, but for me, they're (1) basically another way of stating body fat % and (2) too many numbers to keep track of over time.

- Can store profiles for up to 4 people. This is a pretty nice feature if 3 or 4 people will be using the scale. If not, look into the scales that only store profiles for 1 or 2 people, as needed - you will save some money.

- Remembers weigh-in data for each person at 1, 7, 30, and 90 days. For some reason, although the scale stores the most recent 97 days, it will only display the 4 dates listed, plus the longest date within the 97 day memory.

Basically, this scale does what it advertises, but most people probably won't get much out of the hand grips, or out of the additional calculations. Unless you're sure you want it, I would recommend a simpler, feet only scale that sticks to weight and body fat %.
on October 2, 2015
So I have not purchased this product, but here are some tips on how to properly use this and any similar product.

When it comes to body fat %, your hydration level matters A LOT! Trying to take a measurement after exercising or after drinking a bottle of water will make your results very inaccurate. Taking a shower will also skew the results. Best thing to do is to take measurements first thing in the morning before eating food, drinking any liquids, and doing any kind of physical activity. Doing this every time will give you the most accurate and consistent results.

Know that there is no method of measuring body fat % that will be 100% accurate. However, your results can still be pretty close, as long as they are taken properly.

Next, the resting metabolism is also pretty accurate. The scale should be programmed with an equation that uses your height, weight/mass, age, and sex to determine how many calories you burn at rest. At rest means that you are laying down, relaxed, and doing absolutely nothing. So in reality, you will burn more calories throughout the day. You can look this equation up online and calculate how many calories you burn yourself (with the help of a calculator).

A quick note on BMI, this is NOT a good indicator of your body composition. This is why body fat % is becoming more used. There are a lot of ranges of body fat % that are recommended by different organizations. The one number i have found most important to know is the minimum %. What I have learned from classes, the more recent research tells us that minimum body fat % for males is 8% and for females is 18%. This means that a body fat % any lower will most likely cause severe damage to the body and will disrupt normal function of the body. Once again, those %'s are a MINIMUM to maintain regular body function and should NOT be used as a goal. Talk to your physician or a qualified fitness professional about what an ideal body fat % is for you, because this varies greatly based on the individual.

Just so you know why to believe me, I am a student about to graduate with a degree in Kinesiology with an option in exercise science. I've spent a great amount of time learning exactly how things like this work and why they work that way and how to use them.
Hope this information has helped.
on March 24, 2013
The online description doesn't say it, but the Operator's Manual does. This scale does not work for trained athletes, older people, and a half dozen other categories of people. It will give everyone an accurate weight, but the body composition measures -- as plentiful as they are -- are wildly inaccurate for anyone fitting those categories. This is NOT a good product. The impressive claims in the amazon posting are false.
on February 18, 2016
I have had this for 3 days and I am returning it because it doesn't accurately nor precisely measure body fat, body muscle and by inference visceral fat, or your "fitness" age. The scale works great and since you must input correct height for each profile the BMI calculation for each will be correct. HOWEVER the body fat percentage is way off, it doesn't just lack accuracy (meaning the number it will give you is not close to reality) it also lacks precision meaning that it will give you very different readings depending on what time of day (due to hydration and water retention) you weigh and measure yourself. At first I weighed and measured myself the night it arrived and thought this was going to be great as it seemed reliable meaning I weighed myself 5 times in a row and the numbers were almost identical (although I later found not accurate). I was super excited, but then I weighed myself the next morning... The fat had somehow raised 3.5% and the muscle dropped by 2% points (again, and in the vein of honesty, reliably so). I weigh almost 200 pounds and what I had to eat that night was a salad... It might not seem like much but that would mean I gained more than 6 pounds of fat overnight! I would have to have eaten 10 sticks of butter and absorbed them all 100% to gain such fat percentage. This was very telling of the machine. I tested this several times during these past three days and now it is a confirmed trend, the fat percentage will hover around 3-4% points depending on the time of day. As to the accuracy it is hard to tell because I haven't had any expensive studies done and so I don't have a gold standard to measure but just for perspective. I am 28 y/o male, I workout 3-4 times a week, I can run 5 miles no problem and often do (on cardio day), I do squats w/ 250 pounds on leg days and I do bench reps with 205 pounds. Despite my fitness habits this machine calculated my body age to be 51... my fat percentage is 27-30% (quite high I think I am at most 22-23% or lower) and my muscle % is about 36.2 (normal- which seems strange since, modesty aside, I am quite muscular). Visceral fat was super high and BMI was correct. In summary, I would think twice about buying this machine for tracking fat percentage, it is a good although fragile scale, and will do BMI correctly (BTW basal metabolic rate tends to be correct as well as it as standard algorithm based on body measurements) but do not buy if are seriously thinking of tracking your fitness. Would not recommend.
on May 29, 2011
Not so good and not so bad,this is a good entry level scale for those who want to experiment their ups and downs.

Pros: *.-It is a well finished product.
*.-Very nice screen size,
*.-Very easy to set up,
*.-Very easy to use,very friendly!,
*.-It has memory used to store your record ,and showed on the second small screen.
(It is a very nice fitness scale)

Cons: *.-Not focused for bodybuilders or fitness people( results are very tricky and not reliable)
*.-this product is made in china.(Maybe not a con,but it's up to you to judge it.The product is well finished and made afterall)

Last Comment:I was looking for a scale like this,just to check some results,but I don't want to spend $300 bucks or more,just want to try one,and I found this to be very good over some others. When I started to read the manual,it say the product is not focused for athletes. Well,I'm an an avid sport guy,I love Mountain bike and I go to the gym at least 4 or 5 days a week,so if this is your case you'll find this scale results not accurate and maybe you'll be disappointed.

THE TRUE : for a scale that cost around $60- $70 bucks,I think is a well investment for entry,but if you want totally reliable results you have to look for a Medical Grade Scale,and it cost around $2,000 & up. I have tried the Tanita Ironman,that is priced over $350,and results are not reliable too!,so it is up to you.

This omron scale is very accurate as a scale ONLY,but I have found something interesting.This scale,with all and it's inaccurate results,it can show you if you are having a progress or not.For example,It shows that my Fat level is 25% (I know is totally false,I'm around 9% on previous medical test),but during the days showed me a 24.5% (That is a progress,and I can live with it's inaccuracy). It is a great scale afterall,and it can track your progress up to three months. As I say it before,it is up to you!,Just remember,this scales are not medical grade,so results are inaccurate for all of its kinds.
on July 24, 2011
I'd been looking at this for a while as my other digital scale gave very inconsistent weight readings (it could fluctuate up to 2lbs either way depending on which floor tile they were on), but gave extremely high body fat readings which were always over 10% higher than all other calculation methods (calipers, tape measures & hand-held body fat monitors aso made by Omron!).

This scale looked attractive & after reading the reviews on Amazon it seemed that most buyers were happy & felt they were accurate. When I finally received the scale two months ago I was immediately disappointed.

I'm a 35-year-old male, 6' and 202lbs & have always been fairly fit and muscular, but have generally carried around a bit more fat than I'd like (generally 13-14% but currently 16-17%). This fat had gone up a lot when I moved to another country 3 years ago, and I gained 32lbs when work pressures got in the way of looking after myself/eating properly. I approached this in totally the wrong way and tried to eat even less, and started spinning classes 4-5 times a week but only gained weight because my body was in starvation mode. Result: 25% body fat but great cardio fitness level! Eventually I saw a nutritionist & personal trainer for a few weeks & dropped 22lbs in 5 weeks, taking my body fat down to under 20%. Since then I've been visibly building general muscle (instead of just my quads) & have put on another 14lbs without increasing waist size. The hand-held Omron body fat monitor at my gym says I'm 17% body fat & all other calculation methods I've tried put me between 16-17%. But this scale says that I'm 27-28% body fat (higher than I was when I had over 15lbs more fat). That is just ridiculous. Obviously the higher the body fat percentage reading, the lower the skeletal muscle reading, which makes that useless too. There's no information available on the "body age" calculation, which initially read as 56 and has increased to 59 as I've been building muscle (I'd love to know how it estimates that), and the visceral fat calculation results have also been increasing as my body fat gets lower. They started at 9 and has since increased to 11.

I'm extremely disappointed with these scales & they have not been helpful to me at all, other than reliably reading my weight. On the other hand, my girlfriend seems to get more realistic results from them (her "body age" is actually accurate!), and she does very little exercise.

Conclusion: Based on my experience and what I've seen in the other reviews here, if you're in any way serious about exercise/weight loss, have a good fitness level or a reasonable amount of muscle, this scale is a complete waste of money. If none of these apply to you then you're less likely to buy this scale anyway and even if you do buy it and seems accurate initially, once you reach a good fitness level the results will become wildly inaccurate, so whichever way you look at it this scale defeats its own purpose. Buy something else.

This only merits 1 star because the scale function itself is accurate and consistent, but there are many other cheaper digital scales which perform that function equally well and don't claim to do anything else.
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse