5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent & Reliable
I was excited to get this scale. It's my first scale that does more than tell you how much you weigh. I don't really have a way to tell how accurate the weight reading is. But I do know that it's consistent. I've tried all sorts of different tests: Weighing myself multiple times, recalibrating the scale each time, weighing myself with shoes, then without shoes, then...
Published on April 17, 2009 by Jeff Kraus

3.0 out of 5 stars Read if you have medical implants . . . . .
Having lost 136 pounds and still some to go, I was looking for another tool to help me measure my progress. The Omron 514 read like a dream --- so I ordered it! When it arrived, I opened the box and got the manual and commenced to read. On the second page, it stated that persons with a medical implant, such as a pacemaker, shoud NOT use this. It makes sense that an...
Published on December 24, 2010 by Kathleen H. Bentley

‹ Previous | 1 2 372 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate Body Fat Measurement, April 13, 2011
This review is from: Omron HBF-514C Full Body Composition Sensing Monitor and Scale (Health and Beauty)
I've been using this scale for a few months now and according to this scale it showed that my body fat was always fluctuating from 25%-27% body fat. (I've been believing it ever since). Just earlier today, I tried another body fat scale measurement product from Omron which displayed me at 14% body fat, which I'm quite sure is more accurate since I have a build of a decent athlete. I thought the purchase of this product would be quite convenient since it would display my weight + body fat all in one product, but now that I figured that the body fat measurement is off, I'm quite upset about this purchase. In conclusion, DON'T RELY ON THIS FOR BODY PERCENT FAT AT ALL.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for weighing - absolutely useless for everything else!, July 24, 2011
I'd been looking at this for a while as my other digital scale gave very inconsistent weight readings (it could fluctuate up to 2lbs either way depending on which floor tile they were on), but gave extremely high body fat readings which were always over 10% higher than all other calculation methods (calipers, tape measures & hand-held body fat monitors aso made by Omron!).

This scale looked attractive & after reading the reviews on Amazon it seemed that most buyers were happy & felt they were accurate. When I finally received the scale two months ago I was immediately disappointed.

I'm a 35-year-old male, 6' and 202lbs & have always been fairly fit and muscular, but have generally carried around a bit more fat than I'd like (generally 13-14% but currently 16-17%). This fat had gone up a lot when I moved to another country 3 years ago, and I gained 32lbs when work pressures got in the way of looking after myself/eating properly. I approached this in totally the wrong way and tried to eat even less, and started spinning classes 4-5 times a week but only gained weight because my body was in starvation mode. Result: 25% body fat but great cardio fitness level! Eventually I saw a nutritionist & personal trainer for a few weeks & dropped 22lbs in 5 weeks, taking my body fat down to under 20%. Since then I've been visibly building general muscle (instead of just my quads) & have put on another 14lbs without increasing waist size. The hand-held Omron body fat monitor at my gym says I'm 17% body fat & all other calculation methods I've tried put me between 16-17%. But this scale says that I'm 27-28% body fat (higher than I was when I had over 15lbs more fat). That is just ridiculous. Obviously the higher the body fat percentage reading, the lower the skeletal muscle reading, which makes that useless too. There's no information available on the "body age" calculation, which initially read as 56 and has increased to 59 as I've been building muscle (I'd love to know how it estimates that), and the visceral fat calculation results have also been increasing as my body fat gets lower. They started at 9 and has since increased to 11.

I'm extremely disappointed with these scales & they have not been helpful to me at all, other than reliably reading my weight. On the other hand, my girlfriend seems to get more realistic results from them (her "body age" is actually accurate!), and she does very little exercise.

Conclusion: Based on my experience and what I've seen in the other reviews here, if you're in any way serious about exercise/weight loss, have a good fitness level or a reasonable amount of muscle, this scale is a complete waste of money. If none of these apply to you then you're less likely to buy this scale anyway and even if you do buy it and seems accurate initially, once you reach a good fitness level the results will become wildly inaccurate, so whichever way you look at it this scale defeats its own purpose. Buy something else.

This only merits 1 star because the scale function itself is accurate and consistent, but there are many other cheaper digital scales which perform that function equally well and don't claim to do anything else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless for trained athletes and several other categories of people. Can I give zero stars?, March 24, 2013
The online description doesn't say it, but the Operator's Manual does. This scale does not work for trained athletes, older people, and a half dozen other categories of people. It will give everyone an accurate weight, but the body composition measures -- as plentiful as they are -- are wildly inaccurate for anyone fitting those categories. This is NOT a good product. The impressive claims in the amazon posting are false.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR ATHLETES OR BODYBUILDERS!!, September 11, 2010
Inaccurate reading Im 6'6" and 228lbs athlete ...It gave me 25 % body fat and a body age of 72 I laughed to myself as i returned the item
Oh and in the manual it states it may give inaccurate readings for athletes and bodybuilders ... So aside from people that work hard on their body who else would want this kind of info?
Anyone recommend one that works ?

1.0 out of 5 stars Crapshoot with body fat measurement, April 23, 2011
I haven't been able to make any sense out of the body fat number, other than the fact that they are wrong.

I have been losing weight while still building muscle. The meter showed that I put on 3 lbs of fat.

Also, the number change very erratically, even though nothing else has changed beyond a glass of water.

You will be better off buying a $20 weight scale.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for any sort of athletes, August 18, 2010
Unfortunately after spending a couple hours trying to find the right body fat monitor I came away very disappointed with this one. It measured me at 22% body fat percent and a body age of 55 (whatever that means) which blew me away and even bummed me out. So I decided to step it up and get the professional hydrostatic test done at a local gym. These are far more accurate and I came away with a 7.7% body fat. That's a huge difference! Now I like to stay active and all but I had no idea there would be this much of a gap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information tracking, September 20, 2009
This scale is good because it gives you a way to track your weight over time of up to 90 days back that is the best thing.
1. You must only use the scale as basis to measure your progress of weight lose, fat percentage, muscle mass, and your resting metabolism over time. You need to know that it can be up 5% off but it will give you consistent results so what every the error rate is if you are going up or down it will show the progression.

2, I do like that this scale unlike some other scales doesn't let you pick out your exercise level and only judges you by weight, height and sex. When other scales ask for the exercise level the assume you fat or muscle is higher or lower for your category and gives you even more inaccurate info.

3. A lot of people complain about the scale is wrong because their fat and muscle mass is incorrect but clearly other people are not looking at their BMI which the scale shows if you are obese or over weight based on the bmi chart you can't be dramatically below those numbers because they are based on averages you may be in better shape but you still are carrying excess weight. My muscle mass is on the high normal side and my fat % is less percentage than bmi chart but not by much because I'm still in the obese category because I still have excess fat and weight to lose.

4. Other ways to determine may be more accurate like water volume testing and oxygen dispersement but the calipers method isn't any more accurate because it depends on the scale of the person doing it and when they do the test because the same person can have different results if they do the same test an hour later.

5. Scale accurate I did the weight test and my dumbbells weighted my dumbbells all 6 of them and they all came up exactly 0.20 off from the indicated dumbbell weight extremely accurate. 6. Resting Metabolism helps you get a better idea of what you need to eat to survive and work out without eating all your muscle mass.

6. You don't need the chart in the book to see how in shape or out of shape your muscle or fat is because it has black indicator line showing you or are either above average or below average. Helps you quickly see if you are going over into above average muscle mass and below normal fat content. 7. You don't need the chart in the book to see how in shape or out of shape your muscle or fat is because it has black indicator line showing you or are either above average or below average for your height, age, sex category. Helps you quickly see if you are going over into above average muscle mass and below normal fat content.

1.0 out of 5 stars Body Fat % is Waaaay Off, July 9, 2010
Hello Folks,

I did precisely what the instructions had stated (the when and the how) to take measurements.

The body fat percentage measurements were very far off. It kept showing body fat percentages of 20%+, when I am very lean, and you can easily see my eight pack abs. You cannot see a person's six pack, let alone eight pack, unless the person is below 10-12%. I have done Accu-Measure, and have the hand-grip Omron Digital Fat Meter, and they both say I at at 9 - 11%.

Regards,

Marc

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, September 23, 2013
Bought this scale in June, used it a few times and it worked fine. Tried it again recently and every time I turn it on, it will ask to set the year, date and time and afterwards, shut off so it cannot calculate weight. At first I thought it was the batteries, but I've tried 2 new sets of batteries and the screen still does the same thing. For $70, I expected this scale to last longer than 4 months and only using it two dozen times. And of course, it malfunctions after the return window of Amazon expires so that I cannot get my money back.

Anyways, this scale is a waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Customer Support - Broke in 1 Month, July 24, 2013
I purchased the Omron HBF-514C on Amazon's sister site, Woot. The LCD failed after less than a month of use. It had little blobs of black all over it, under the surface clear plastic. The surface plastic was without a scratch. Bummed, I mailed the scale back to Omron Warranty repair on my nickel (about $14 USPS) with a description of the problem and my contact information. A month or so later, I received a box back from Omron. Great - there's my repaired scale, right? No! They sent me back the broken scale with a note that the damage was caused by me, the user, not defective manufacturing. Now, first of all, I did not do anything to damage the scale. Second, would it not have been nice for them to call me while they still had the scale to discuss repair options if they felt I'd damaged it? Many companies would also offer to send me a refurbished product for some nominal cost. Still thinking maybe Omron has some semblance of customer service I called their US customer service line. After a long call, 30 minutes at least, the agent told me that what I needed to do was to call another person, a supervisor, and plead my case with them. Or I could spend another $14 and send the scale to them again for reconsideration. Now my time is worth something, and I've simply given up. I am writing this experience off as a $55 (inexpensive right?) lesson in why one should never, ever invest in anything manufactured by Omron. And by this comment, I am hoping to pass along my lesson to others much less expensively.

‹ Previous | 1 2 372 | Next ›