5.0 out of 5 stars Like a stripped-down, much-cheaper Fitbit

3.0 out of 5 stars Better but not Best
Published on June 13, 2012 by Adam Rust

3.0 out of 5 stars Better but not Best, June 13, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had four different pedometers in the last five years. I think they are fun and I believe that they do have the effect of making me walk more. Every one of those pedometers has been made by Omron. Omron seems to have the pedometer space locked up. So, in writing this review I want to spell it out that the choice is probably not between Omron and another brand but rather between this Omron and another.

The HJ-321 is a sensitive pedometer that does a great job of differentiating between motion and steps. This is its real strength. Today I went for a "walk" in a museum. While I did move my feet, most of my movement was made up of small shuffles and not of real steps. The HJ-321 ignored by shuffling. Although I spent two hours on my feet in the exhibit, the HJ-321 only counted about 500 steps. If sensitivity is good, then its size is also a plus. This is a very small object. It is not obtrusive at all.

It has the advanced functions that were not available a few years back: aerobic steps, 7 days of memory, and calories burned. It also has regular steps and distance, but of course those have been standard for years. The LED goes blank when you are not using it but the system is still tracking your steps.

My all-time favorite Omron is the HJ 112. That pedometer has the same advanced functionalities but it differs in how you use it. It is easier to check your steps, because unlike the HJ 321, its LED is always on.

The main difference is how you keep it on your body. The 321 has a very small clip. It does not seem trustworthy. Pedometers tend to get lost. Indeed, I lost my previous three pedometers. The 112 had a great clipping system that easily affixed to a belt, a waistband, or a pocket. My 112 remained on my body for over a year. I doubt that the 321 will last that long. For me, keeping the pedometer is the defining difference-maker. A lost pedometer, even one with lots of features, is not useful. I think the 321 does great things, but it doesn't have a good clasp and so I would not recommend it to another stepper. The 321 is better than many other pedometers but for the same price you can get the 112.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a stripped-down, much-cheaper Fitbit, June 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this shortly after I got a Fitbit, so I got to compare the two. They're both very lightweight and work similarly, in that you can put them in a pocket or bag or clip them on anywhere, unlike other pedometers that have to be positioned a certain way. Unlike the Fitbit, the Omron has to be calibrated by measuring your steps and entering the measurements; Fitbit guesses your step length based on your height, or you can enter steps manually. I found that Fitbit counts about 10 more steps on average than the Omron, but the Fitbit is better at tracking when you're fairly active and very active, even for just a few minutes. Omron only counts "aerobic" steps if you take more than 60 steps per minute for 10 minutes.

Both of them require you to push a button to see the display - I'd rather have that than have the battery run down quickly. Fitbit's backlit display is easier to see in a dim room while the Omron's is much easier to see outdoors or in bright light. Both also have distance, calories and time of day.

Of course, the Fitbit has the extensive online tools and graphs, and mobile apps, that the Omron doesn't have, thus the vast price difference. But if you're not going to use all that, then this is a good alternative. I also like how you can see information for the past seven days on the Omron by pushing a button; the Fitbit stores that info but you can only see on the device the steps for the past day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and easy to use, June 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have several pedometers from very good to horrible. The very good pedometer accurately counts my steps while I am walking. However it also counts steps if it is just sitting in my car. I compared the "good" pedometer to this Omron HJ-321 and Omron wins. It accurately counted my steps as I walked around the house and up and down stairs. As it rode in the car for an hour to work, it counted 12 steps while the "good" pedometer counted over 200. I attached a strap to it with a clip so I could have a backup in case the enclosed clip failed. The clip that comes with this pedometer has teeth kind of like velcro so it clings to the clothing and is not to likely to slip off. The pedometer slides into this clip so if you want to carry it in a pocket, you can just slide it out of the clip. It is small and slender so no one has to know you are counting your steps. One day I carried it in a shirt pocket and another clipped to my waste band. When I took a quick two mile walk, it measured my steps and also counted the time as aerobic steps. I was able to set up my stride length so it also calculated the distance I had walked. For the price, this is a great pedometer. I compared the price of this one to some offered in a large chain department store and for the same price I could get a piece of plastic that requires a small earthquake before it counted steps.

In addition to counting steps here are a couple of other pluses. The display turns off and it continues counting steps so you don't wast battery power. Did I mention it uses a battery? The buttons on the front are almost flush with the ped so you don't accidentally clear your steps during the day. It stores several days of steps so you can monitor how you're doing over time. The only thing missing that I wish it had was the ability to upload my steps to my computer. For that I would expect to pay a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great step counter at a reasonable price, May 1, 2013
I have purchased and thrown out about three pedometers due to accuracy issues or problems staying attached to my pants. Finally, I wised up and looked for reviews of pedometers and selected the Omron. It was recommended and had one of the lowest prices. I have been using it for a week and love it. It is not difficult to program, an issue for me, can be carried in your pocket and is accurate. The clip attaches securely to your pants!!! Last, it automatically resets at midnight. It has other functionality which I do not use. I like it because it is easy to use, stays on and is accurate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, Convenient and Largely Accurate Pedometer, May 31, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In the past I've used several pedometers, and have overall liked the concept of an easy and (relatively) accurate way of gauging your daily physical activity. The biggest issue that I had with them was in fact a virtue - they can be incredibly addictive. They tap into my competitive and scientific instincts, and push me to keep up a consistent level of physical activity, even at the cost of annoying those around me. (Hey, I need to pace back and forth across the living room in order to get my exercise!) In recent years I've started to rely on my iPhone's GPS capabilities to keep track of my runs, walks, and other outdoorsy activities. However, GPS is quite limited when you are indoors or are doing a lot of walking within a relatively small area. For such situations pedometers are still the best option.

As I've said, it's been a while since I had used a pedometer, and when I started using Omron I was quite surprised with how small, lightweight and quiet it was. Instead of mechanical lever measuring your steps (and making the familiar clicking sound), this pedometer uses the 3D technology that works irrespective of its orientation and provides much more accurate count of your steps.

The setup for this unit was relatively straightforward, and in most cases it needs to be done only once. The only exception might be the recording of the length of your strides. If you decide to go running, or if someone else uses this pedometer, then you'll need to adjust this measurement.

Fro the past few days of trials I've been very happy with this pedometer. It seems fairly accurate, and a definite improvement over the more mechanical pedometers that I had used. No pedometer can really be 100% accurate, and each time I counted my steps by myself the pedometer was off by one or two step (out of hundred that I'd take). I did not test it more extensively and systematically, so I'd be unable to vouch for its exact accuracy.

One of the problems that I have noticed thus far has to do with the fastening clip. The clip is designed so that you can quickly remove the pedometer from your waist. However, it may also cause it to fall out if you rub against something inadvertently. This has happened to me once so far, but fortunately only at home so I was able to find it afterwards. My suggestion would be to put the pedometer in your pocket as much as possible. It will not affect the accuracy, and it will help you with keeping it safe.

Other than the problem with the clip, I am very happy with this pedometer and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easy and accurate way of keeping track of their physical activities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Omron Tri-Axis Pedometer helped me maximize my daily workouts!, June 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a former track athlete, many pedometers have passed through my hands over the years. The Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Pedometer is the most accurate step counter that I have ever used. In this review, we will examine its features and see how a tiny electronic device can make a big difference in your overall health.

The Omron HJ-321 Pedometer has many features that can help encourage you to move around more daily. First this pedometer uses special 3D Smart Sensor technology to register your movements. Older pedometers like the Nintendo Pokewalker could only register a swinging movement along a single vertical axis. As a result, your side to side movements would not get calculated as a step. With this Omron pedometer you have the freedom to more sideways or lift your legs and know that those steps will get counted. My daily movements can be quite erratic as I often have to climb steps while working daily. The Pokewalker could not count these as steps so I often felt cheated from my real step counts.

Second, the Omron HJ-321 pedometer has a seven day memory feature which not only counts your daily steps in a virtual log but also shows your distance, calories burned, aerobic steps and pitch. The 3D sensor is key in generating these additional statistics about your daily exercise routine. The sensor seems to be so accurate that you can wear this pedometer around a chain on your neck and it will continue to register steps!

Now, let's discuss the one feature that I enjoy the most about the Omron HJ-321 Pedometer, the aerobic step counter! For the past seven days of use, my pedometer showed 0 for aerobic steps even though I had at least 6,000 steps counted each day. The reason was that my walking behavior is in bursts that last for less than 10 minutes at a time. Today, I walked at a brisk pace for 20 minutes and was rewarded with a count of 3,235 aerobic steps. The aerobic step statistic changed my behavior and encouraged me to workout regularly every day!

Make no mistake, having a high quality pedometer in my pocket always seems to improve my sense of well being and vitality. Everyday for the past week, you will find me checking the display of this pedometer at lunch to see if I have reached my halfway step count goal for the day. My tiny workout coach now has me walking at least 10 minutes everyday as well which already has me feeling revitalized with energy. I highly recommend the Omron HJ-321 Tri Axis pedometer to anyone who wants to workout and keep track of their activities without using a pen and paper.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOt as advertised, April 7, 2014
This review is from: Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Pedometer, Black (Health and Beauty)
This product was advertised to get all of your steps. It didn't advertise that those steps has to be fast and long and continued. I bought this product because I am 79 years old an wanted to keep count of the steps I take every day and try to increase them in order that I could improve my health by walking. But I have to walk very slowly and the machine does not pick up my steps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is This For Your Lifestyle? Not Mine, April 7, 2014
This review is from: Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Pedometer, Black (Health and Beauty)
I don't want to rip this pedometer because it counts very accurately when it counts. This pedometer doesn't work for what I need it to do. If you want a pedometer that counts accurately when you go for a long walk then this pedometer will work great. I want to keep track of every step I take throughout the day as I am pretty active and I've tracked my steps everyday for 8 years. This model will not do that. I figure I lose a few thousand steps at least everyday I use this. It won't start counting until you've walked for 4 seconds so if you walk say 15 steps in 3 seconds and pause, it won't count those steps.

Lets say you pace on the phone like I do. If you pace to one side of the room and turn around, it stops counting and the 4 second rule starts over. If you pace in a bedroom, you'll be lucky to get any steps counted even if you do this for 15 minutes. I want a pedometer that counts steps. I don't want a pedometer to decide for me whether they are active steps or not. A step is a step.

Buy this pedometer if you will only wear it when you go for a walk outside or around a track. It is very accurate whether you wear it in on your waste or just carry it in your pocket. DO NOT BUY this pedometer if you want to count all of the steps you take throughout the day. You will be severely disappointed.

If this model would count immediately and not have the delay this would be one of the best pedometers out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want to track your steps while you drive, this is the right product for you!, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Pedometer, Black (Health and Beauty)
This was so not what I was looking for. It basically counts your every move (even car motion) all day and resets every night at midnight. There's no stop button, no reset option. It was so frustrating when it add 1000 extra steps because I was driving! I had to return it. As a Step instructor, I wanted to see how many steps we took per class in an hour, this definitely did not help me calculate it.

4.0 out of 5 stars GET IN SHAPE and HIKE with Omron!, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Omron HJ-321 Tri-Axis Pedometer, Black (Health and Beauty)
I did not trust my treadmill monitor so I wanted a pedometer that was accurate. Turns out my treadmill monitor was actually pretty close, happy about that. Planning this new love to travel with me on the Appalachian Trail Hike-Thru 2014.

I'm not positive the calorie count is correct however different calculations reap varied results. I believe it is reasonably accurate for my current needs of monitoring.

My Mom uses the old style Pedometer which she wears daily (from sunrise to sunset). Guess what? She's getting one of this babies for her birthday. I know it will be far more accurate than her present one.

I highly recommend Omron HJ-321 Tri Axis Pedometer it is light weight, sturdy clip, easy to use, ease of setup, and very reasonable price point.

DIGITAL SIGNATURE

I like to close my reviews with a THANK YOU because I do appreciate you investing your precious time in reading my material. We live in a complex complicated world where time is at a premium. I do pray you found this review like my others informative and helpful in aiding your next purchasing decision. Your comments are always welcome and I make every attempt to reply to comments as time permits. Again THANK YOU for the opportunity to aid you in spending your hard earned money wisely.

I am not employed or receive any compensation by the manufacture or any organization promoting this product or additional hardware. I purchased or received as a gift my product like anyone else and just sharing my myriad thoughts and experience with you.

I hereby extend to you a plethora of blessing of good health and welling being. Bless you all.

2013 Copyrighted by Dr. Gary Drury