4.0 out of 5 stars Almost...
I use this unit mostly for walking, either on pavement or treadmills. I also have an Omron pedometer, both of which promise to upload data to an Omron website for analysis.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* For the most part, the unit works pretty well at reading my pulse rate. It took a little bit of practice to find the "sweet spot" on my wrist, but after a...
Published 19 months ago by Andy in Washington

1.0 out of 5 stars Grossly inaccurate. Strap comes loose.
Unlike many of the reviewers before me, I did not receive this product for free. I paid for it. This device is so much more than just a HRM. It is also a watch among other things. It has an optional backlight.

I have now used this HRM for a few months. I had to remember to wear it at least one middle finger length, if not a bit more, away from the wrist. While...
Published 21 months ago by Steely Blue

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so cool!, April 5, 2013
This review is from: Omron HR-500U Continuous Strapless Heart Rate Monitor with Web Connectivity, Black (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although this is a tiny bit bulky (like an overlarge watch) - it's far better than the models you have to strap across your chest. Setup was pretty simple (though the stride length thing was kind of a pain - but worth it) - and I headed out on my first run. It was so interesting checking my heart rate...all the benefits of running on a treadmil...without having to run inside on a treadmill! I installed the software on my PC and set up an online account - though I am still trying to get them to link up.

I think I am really going to enjoy working out with this information close at hand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heart rate monitor, March 27, 2013
Easy to use but hard to adjust to your wrist. It works really well where fit properly. Love it for all workouts

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Ok, March 26, 2013
It was very annoying because I had to adjust it during my workout. Once you sweat, it becomes an error.

4.0 out of 5 stars works fine for me, I don't have any problems with it, March 29, 2013
monkuboy (Temple City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Several years ago I used to use a chest-strapped heart monitor when I went running. That worked but it was a hassle always having to quickly push the unit up to keep it from going too low on my chest. I figured that sort of annoyance is what women have to put up with who are constantly fiddling with their bra straps, haha. Then the monitor broke and I never replaced it because I don't like wearing anything real tight and you had to have the chest strap on rather tight for it to work (and still it would tend to come down).

I liked the idea of a wrist-held monitor and was glad to get this Omron unit. First thing I did was read the instructions then charged it up via the USB connection. Next I went through the setup process, which was very easy; the instructions explained it very well.

Then I tried it out. The velcro wrist band makes it easy to adjust. Getting it to read my pulse was sort of hit and miss. I strapped it on, pressed the button as directed and watched the display cycle and cycle and finally tell me to adjust the band. Anyway, what I have found (which is not rocket science) is that there are little sensors on the back of the watch that face your wrist and read your pulse. So you have to position these sensors right above the veins (or arteries or whatever the correct name is... you know, the stuff that carries your blood and generates a pulse), otherwise the monitor can't read anything. Once I did that, I had no trouble getting the unit to start up correctly.

I find that the heart rate per this monitor is lower than what I used to get from my old monitors. It has been about 8 or 9 years since I last used them so perhaps my rate has slowed down over that time. It does say that a rule of thumb for your maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age and since it has been 8 or 9 years it makes sense that my heart rate for what I feel is the same level of exertion as I had back then is about 8-10 beats lower. Is the monitor accurate? I haven't measured my heart rate to compare to the monitor as I hate measuring my heart or pulse rate by hand. It makes me feel queasy. I'd make a lousy doctor. I do notice that the rate corresponds to my activity level, though.

As per the instructions, I am able to cycle through a view of the main stats for the most recent activity, such as average heart rate, maximum rate, calories, distance traveled, etc. I just used the default measures for length of my walking and running stride and that seems to be reasonably accurate as the distance reported on the monitor is pretty close to the actual distance I run. It varies somewhat since my stride varies but for getting a general idea of the length I'd say it does a good job.

I signed up for an online account on the Omron web site to upload the data from the watch. That process was also very easy. It uploads all except the most recent activity, which is retained in the monitor to view manually.

Negatives: the monitor is kind of big, but at least that makes it easy to read.

I did not experience the problems mentioned by other reviewers, such as the unit ceasing to work, or giving wild swings in heart rate or working intermittently. I haven't had it that long, however, so if anything changes I will update this review. Meanwhile, so far I find this to be a useful unit that functions like it is supposed to. I would actually rate it 4.5 stars if I could, with deductions for the large size and also the buttons are somewhat difficult to press.

[edit: from looking at the "helpful" votes reviews for this product have received, it seems like if you have something good to say about it, then you are not considered "helpful." ]

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating!, April 7, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have tried to set this thing up and I've failed miserably! The first day I thought I had just misread the instructions, so I tried charging it overnight. That didn't work, nothing happened. I set it aside and came back to it a few days later to try again, and still no luck, I can't get it to even register a heart rate, and it simply doesn't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful watch style heart rate and exercise monitor..., March 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Omron HR-500U is a reasonable size for men, although it is rather bulky and it might be a bit too large on a woman's wrist. The functionality and accuracy have been OK. But you have to have reasonable expectations of a device that measures your stats through surface contact with sweaty skin while you are on the move. It's not an implant. It's a strap on monitor. I am enjoying using it and I think it provides acceptable real world results at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Going Strapless for Workout Success, February 20, 2013
One thing I'd always wanted as part of my weight loss and fitness journey was a heart rate monitor. But everything I found involved wearing a strap that I just couldn't get to work quite right. While it was probably user error, when I learned about Omron's Strapless Heart Rate monitor, I was ready to try it.

This heart rate monitor straps right into your wrist and you're ready to go. I did have a few challenges getting the positioning right so it would read my heart rate consistently. But after using it a few times, I learned more about how to position it on my arm for best performance.

My favorite feature is the display that features colored lights so know exactly what heart rate range I'm in with a quick glance down at my wrist. It's extremely convenient. And it has a clock display as well so I can time my workouts at the same time.

It's fairly comfortable and I have gotten used to the feel of it as I've worn it more. Every so often I do have trouble getting it to read my heart rate but I just loosen the strap and tighten it again and it works.

This definitely beats strapping something around my chest which I have never found comfortable at all. Omron has comfort pegged with this monitor.

Disclosure: I received a sample of this product to facilitate my review. However my opinions are 100% my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the flexibility!, February 20, 2013
I love how easy it is to set up the heart rate monitor! You'll wear it like a watch and it's easy to move and do whatever exercise you want to because it's strapless! I love that you charge the battery (rather than replacing it every time it dies).

I haven't many issues with this device. Once in awhile it doesn't want to find my heart rate, but if I took it off and put it back on, it worked.

You'll have to take it off to wash your hands and such because you don't want to get it wet.

I do wish it would display your heart rate all the time (not just when you push start).

**Full Disclosure: I received the heart rate monitor at no cost to me for review purposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Heart Rate Monitor without the Strap, February 21, 2013
I'm a lazy exerciser but one of the things I've really wanted to do to push myself is make sure I'm getting my heart rate up and keeping it there. I've never been a huge fan of wearing a chest strap so I haven't messed with using a heart rate monitor in the past. The Omron HR-500U feels just like a watch but it does a great job of reading your heart rate during a workout. It's easy to use -- you just tell it when you are starting and stopping a workout. I've had great luck with getting it to register my heart rate and it's been able to keep registering it no matter how much I move.

The display screen is nice and big so you can see your heart rate even while you are moving. It is a larger watch on me but still very do-able. I can still get a nice tight and comfortable fit. On my husband the size works as a normal watch for him.

This is a great option if you want to work out more effectively but don't want to mess with the extra strap.

Disclosure: I received this product for free for the purpose of my review but all opinions are 100% my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great not to be strapped anymore, February 20, 2013
M. Zapata (california, usa) - See all my reviews
There is a reason we have cell phones, we love to be on the move and without wires that attach us to things.
That is why having an strapless HRM is the best thing. You wear it on your wrist like a watch and that is it. The appearance is also like the one of a watch, so no one has to know that it is a HRM.
The only thing is that sometimes it loses the HR, so you have to check it while working out, but that is easier that checking the strap anyways.
I would recommend it!

Disclosure: I received this product for review on my blog. All opinions are my own.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›