5.0 out of 5 stars #1 SUMMER CD OF 1999 and ON!
Published on May 7, 2000 by jason galli

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, It's not the worst
Published on December 22, 1999 by Kaylea

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 SUMMER CD OF 1999 and ON!, May 7, 2000
jason galli (Kewanee, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
Though it has been nearly a year since Jennifer released On The 6, I am still to this day listening everyday to this CD. Trust, if you like Madonna and Janet, you'll love this CD. There is something for everyone on this CD. There's ballads, latin, dance, R&B, and a little of hip hop to. Jen shines best on the uptempo and R&B cuts, like Waiting For Tonight, Let's Get Loud, If You Had My Love, Feelin So Goos, etc. She can also belt out the ballads, showing true emotion in both Should've Never and Promise Me You'll Try. Believe, this is the type of material that makes an album hot. So, forget what all the others say about this CD, cause just one listen to any of the songs and you'll know you have definately spent your money's worth!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nicely varied selection of songs, October 23, 2001
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
Because Jennifer Lopez is such a media personality, I think it's difficult to put aside the tabloid headlines and simply evaluate her musical output. But you know what? "On the 6" is a pretty good CD. On this disc, Lopez blends Latin, disco, pop, and other elements for a largely satisfying whole.
The CD offers a nice mix of mellow and high energy numbers. "Should've Never" is enhanced by both a sensuous spoken-word bit as well as some erotic moaning. "Waiting for Tonight" is a good disco number that appears in two versions: English and Spanish (the latter titled "Una Noche Mas"). Another song that appears in two versions is "No me Ames," an excellent duet with Marc Anthony. With this song, both versions are in Spanish; the difference is that the first song has a salsa flavor (heavy on horns and percussion), while the second is a more laid-back ballad version. Also enjoyable is the mellow, romantic "Talk about Us."
Lopez proves herself an effective vocalist on the CD, and holds her own in her duet with the amazing Anthony. Yes, as a whole "On the 6" may just sound a bit too "slick" and commercial, but if you suspend whatever prejudices you might have, you just might enjoy it. I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go J Lo, September 28, 2002
Little star (Graz in Österreich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
This is a great Pop-dance-R'n B- album. Jennifer is a lot more than just another actress who tries to sing.
If you had my Love. I didn't like her debutsong so much. There are many better songs
Should've never: This is a wonderful romantic ballad
Too late: A latin flavoured song. Not my favourite
Feelin so good: With Fat Joe and Big Pun. A great Hip Hop song
Let's get loud: Written by GLoria Estefan. The summersong in 2000. A great salsa-song
Could this be love: A romantic ballad
No me ames: Tropical remix: Dance version of a wonderful ballad. I don't like it
Waiting for tonight: A dance song. Sounds like something Madonna or Kylie Minogue would sing.
Open off my love: This song is so sexy. It's a latin-song. and great for dancing
Promise me you'll try: Another ballad
It'S not that serious: Another Latin-sog
Talk about us: This ballad is almost too slow. It's getting boring.
No me ames: The ballad version is a lot better. She sings it wih Marc Anthony. I don't like him because his songs are so schmalzy but in this one he sounds great
Una noche ms: Waiting for tonight in Spanish
I think it's better to buy the European version of this CD because there are two great bonustrcks included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Lopez's "On the 6" -- Great All-Arounder album., March 12, 2000
Kenny (Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
The Latina pride and joy of the Bronx - Jennifer Lopez has stormed in with her debut album entitled "On the 6". This LP was dedicated as an ode to her frequent rides on a New York City subway line leading her to the pinnacle of her success. Judging from the album, the success is well deserved. "On the 6" holds songs of a myriad of musical backgrounds, from the #1 R&B single "If You Had My Love" to the dance hit of "Waiting For Tonight" and the hiphopsy tune of "Feeling So Good" . Other impressive songs include "No Me Ames" the duet with other latin pop superstar Marc Antony and the salsa-ish single "Let's Get Loud" proves that Lopez shows diversity and interest in a variety of musical taste. In spite of Lopez's criticism on her vocals - she has put the meaning to the words musical "artist" and has been quite prosperous with it topping the Billboard and several other top 40 charts.
Jennifer Lopez album "On the 6" receives a Kenny rating of B+.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, It's not the worst, December 22, 1999
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
On the first listen of this cd all I could think of is that this was one of the most boring cds ever. There are a few bright, upbeat moments. I really like "No Ames" with Marc Anthony because I love the spanish language, and "Waiting For Tonight" is okay. The rest is very dull and it doesn't seem that Jennifer's voice has a very large range. It seems that she sings the same five notes over and over except in those two songs. I will give her credit; it is not the worst cd I have ever heard and if I had to, I would listen to it if I was without any other cd rather than listening to nothing.

1.0 out of 5 stars an example of surface over substance, February 10, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
This record is nothing but packaging over substance. Jennifer Lopez really cannot sing, and the music contained on these tracks is so formulaic, that it will all soon be forgotten, thank goodness.
While some artists have, in the past, played off of a sexy image (such as Mick Jagger, Jim Morrison, Blondie, Madonna, Prince, D'Angelo, Foxy Brown, etc.), or used erotic images on record covers (The Ohio Players, Roxy Music, The Cars), the image, in each case, was a means of getting the public's attention on these performers' musical substance. But in the case of Jennifer Lopez, with her attention grabbing sexy CD cover photo, there is little if any substance beneath the surface; and even the surface is manufactured, with this photo looking as airbrushed as any given month's Playboy Playmate of the Month.
I only wish that everyone who considers buying this lightweight product would instead buy something by Celia Cruz, a true Latin female musical artist, whose records will live on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good CD of J.LO!, November 8, 2003
Ashley (seguin, tx usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
This is a very good CD of J.LO, and one of my favorite
CD's in my CD collection! Below are some reviews of some
of my favorite songs:
1.) If you had my love - You all should know this by now,
they play it on the radio sometimes!
2.) Should've Never - a ballad song, that is very good!
3.) Feelin' so good - a duet with big pun & fat joe, it's sort've a rappish poppish r&b song.
4.) Let's get loud - the title says it all, it is a loud song and a fun song to dance to!
5.) No me ames - A beautiful duet with Marc Anthony! Awesome!!!
6.) Waiting for tonight - everyone should know this one by now also!
7.) Promise me you'll try - Another great ballad!!!
Well, those are my favorite songs on the album. And the other songs are good too but those are the best ones on the CD!! I reccomend that everyone goes out and buy this CD today if not, then buy it another day but be sure you get this in your CD collection soon!!! It's the best CD!!!
To Jennifer Lopez: I love you girl! You're one of my
fave singers and actresses!!! And I love your voice
when you are singing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad... But Could Have Been A Lot Better (2.5 Stars), January 15, 2004
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
1999 seemed to be one of the biggest years for "Pop" music. That year brought us some of the biggest names in music including Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake (then with N SYNC) and of course, actress/dancer/singer Jennifer Lopez. Jennifer, in her 5 years in the spotlight, seems to be everywhere. She dances, she acts, she sings, she is constantly getting remarried. This being the case, there is, of course, a lot of rumours, etc. about Jennifer's work. Her June 1999 debut, On The 6, was a mixture of "Pop", dance and latin music with quite a few ballads. Jennifer has never had a strong voice but she does have a knack for bringing us purely entertaining music.

Like most albums from that time period, Jennifer Lopez's "On the 6" (named for her childhood subway line), begins with her hit single, "If You Had My Love." This was a rather upbeat, danceable track in which Jennifer discusses what she wants in a relationship. ("If I give you me, this is how it's got to be, first of all I won't take you cheating on me"). The lyrics are fairly standard however Jennifer's voice doesn't sound too bad. Following this comes the beautiful ballad "Should've Never". It tells a sweet yet sad story of falling in love with a man while already dating someone. The lyrics are beautiful despite the fact that the message (keeping the relationship with the second man a secret) is not so good. Also, another downside to this song is its length. The song is over six minutes and frankly, only the first three or four minutes are necessary. The last three minutes consist of the background singers singing the chorus repeatedly as well as Jennifer whispering a few lines in Spanish here and there.

The third track on the album is the Spanish-tinged "Too Late". Despite Jennifer Lopez's limited vocal ability, she handles this song quite well even though it has a few lyrical missteps. ("Gave me time and diamond rings but something else was missing."). Its not that the lyrics don't make sense, it is just that they do not fit quite right into the song. Also, the bridge of the song completely brings down the quality of the song both vocally and lyrically. Next, we come to three of the weakest tracks, "Feelin' So Good", "Let's Get Loud" and "Could This Be Love". "Feelin' So Good" was produced by P Diddy (then known as Puff Daddy) and Mario Winans but it suffers from an irritating rap verse, poor lyrics and a highly overused topic. As I've probably mentioned before, I generally dislike the "I'm feeling great" songs and the "I'm the same as I always was despite my fame" songs" and this one is no exception. "Let's Get Loud", which was written by Gloria Estefan, could have been great but it seems to be lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. Jennifer's voice is not suited to this kind of song and the lyrics lead absolutely nowhere. "Could This Be Love" could have been a very beautiful, heartfelt ballad but Jennifer relies far too much on background singers, which takes away from the quality of the song.

Next we come to a Spanish duet with Marc Anthony, entitled "No Me Ames" which, as far as I know, means "you don't love me". I can't comment too much on this song since I don't even speak Spanish. For the average non-Spanish-speaking listener, it is nothing more then an average track though I'm sure if I understood the lyrics it would be better. Afterwards comes my personal favourite, "Waiting For Tonight". This song has probably the best lyrics on the album and Jennifer's vocals work extremely well with this seductive track (though it is not a slow song). "Open Off My Love", which comes next, has too many of the same problems found throughout the album. There is too much reliance on background singers, the lyrics are subpar and the bridge of the song is exceptionally weak. Fortunately, after this we have a sweet ballad, "Promise Me You'll Try" in which Jennifer tells her man basically not to make promises he can't keep ("Don't promise me forever, don't promise me the sun and the sky") but just to promise her he'll try (although it is never established what she wants him to try). Jennifer's voice is slightly weak in this song but the lyrics make up for it.

The last four tracks do not stand out very much at all. "It's Not That Serious", written and produced by Rodney "Darkchild Jerkins, is sung in a somewhat choppy manner (you'll understand when you hear it) make it seem a lot longer then it really is. After is "Talk About Us" which could have been beautiful but seems too similar to "Promise Me You'll Try". "Talk About Us" tells the tale of wanting to know what comes next after what sounds like a one-night stand. By this point, little about this song stands out since the lyrics and even the music seem to have been done before. The final two tracks are a slower version of "No Me Ames" and a Spanish version of "Waiting For Tonight" which, seeing as this is Jennifer's debut, probably should have been replaced with something original or left off completely.

Overall Mark: 2.5/5

Jennifer Lopez's debut brought some decent tracks but in the long run, it is not a very memorable album. Despite some excellent writers/producers (including P Diddy, Gloria and Emilio Estefan and Mario Winans), Jennifer's debut album fails to bring anything truly memorable other then a couple of decent singles. There was far too much emphasis on the background singers, which just calls more attention to Jennifer's limited vocal abilities. Also, she had a hand in writing quite a few songs on the album though unfortunately, many songs had subpar lyrics. Overall, I would only recommend this if you are a diehard Jennifer Lopez fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont listen to other reviewers, June 5, 2000
angelo (california) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
Obviously nobody knows what the hell they are talking about. I believe that jennifer lopez is a true entertainer and that anyone who tries to bring her down doesnt know anything about the entertainment business,and is just plain jelous. The album is great, many of the songs including sould of never have a deep meaning and soul to it, there songs that many people can relate to in life, plus there's also the songs like, Lets get loud, and open to my love, wich have a latin sound to it wich makes you want to dance. Jennifer is a great model/actres/singer ENTERTAINER!, and others need to stop talking down on her because obviously they dont have the talent that she has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, March 14, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: On the 6 (Audio CD)
This is definitely the CD I didn't expect to hear after that avalanche of unfavourable reviews.- What I heard was a great attempt from this hot, latin diva to make us dance and then, relax. I like her appeal and if marketing musical products are going to be inevitably forced into our daily lives, well, at least this one is enjoyable to our senses (especially our sight). And those Spanish songs she included? Surely a HIT! I wish our own pop latin singers from Mexico would have every once in a while songs like "Una Noche Más", I mean, forget about it! Girl, you're definitely worth that big ol' insurance policy! U GO!

On the 6
On the 6 by Jennifer Lopez (Audio CD - 1999)
Rate and Discover Movies