5.0 out of 5 stars New Favorite Holiday Album
Published 22 months ago by Bruce E. Behnke

3.0 out of 5 stars Silver Bells
This album was silver... not gold. It was fun to muse their mystic carols from Britain. There were lots of reminders of English traditions, like plum pudding, webster pudding, and mincemeat pie. It helps if your grandparents were English!!!
Published 8 months ago by Elizabeth Thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars New Favorite Holiday Album, November 19, 2012
After seeing a youtube clip from this album, I had to own it. It is my new favorite holiday album. The musical arrangements by Nikolaus Newerkla are very interesting and well done. The playlist is a good balance of familiar and new material. The singing and playing are absolutely first rate. Quadriga Consort lies somewhere between New-Age Celtic and Renaissance Consort and provides a new and refreshing sound alternative to the trite and commercial sound of many holiday offerings. Buy two and give one to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful holiday music you will never tire of hearing, November 19, 2012
Music performed excellently by the musicians, and words sung by an achingly beautiful voice. As someone who has become bored hearing the 'same old christmas music' every year, this cd is a refreshing arrival. I will play this for my friends and family, and I know some of them will fall in love with it as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, and Beautiful! ...you will never tire of this music..., January 13, 2013
First, just a few personal words... I initially was drawn to this album because of the cover photograph, so very reminiscent of photos of my father and his early times, just after the turn of the century (the last one, of course) of him and his horses and sleds, etc., that he used in earning his livelihood (he was a woodsman). I never tire of looking at old beautiful, meaningful photos like these, and have a quick eye for discovering them!

That said, I looked at the content of the album, and read the reviews and promptly ordered it. For those who may have looked at my reviews, etc., and my postings in some of the Amazon Community Blogs, you probably realize that my taste in music runs the entire gamut from ancient music through every genre until one reaches Rap, which to me simply is not music at all, but drivel, and frequently drivel of a decidedly ugly, off-colored nature....street language is just that, street language. OK, done with the "rant" on rap!

Being of Celtic and Normand heritage, I seem, always, to be drawn to ancient, or "old" at the very least, music from the British Isles, over to France and up across Germany, etc., right up into Finland, Sweden and Norway, also including, of course, Belgium, Holland and Denmark. Of course, a great portion of this album is of content that many will be familiar with, from "a little" to "quite a bit" from years of listening to other, modern-music, albums...these songs, some of them are traceable back into timelessness...fascinating and wonderful to behold and think about today.

The Quadriga Consort consists of harpsichord, percussion, baroque cello, 1st viola da gamba, 1st recorder(s), 2nd viola da gamba, 2nd recorder(s), and voice. The "voice" I will single out as I find it quite notable for a prospective buyer and future listener to this lovely holiday album. Elisabeth Kaplan possesses a lovely voice, not unlike that of a boy soprano, which I find especially fitting for this old music. It gives it a sort of "universal" type feel to me, that just seems to speak "authenticity" and also adds a sort of "timeless blank-slate", if you will, that sets this music off or apart, clearly identifying it's long and great age, handed down through the centuries, time-honored and beloved by generation after generation, even into today. This is like listening to "our historical past" if you will. Strange yet familiar in many ways. Some of these melodies you will recognize as songs we know today, some will be unfamiliar, yet one cannot resist being drawn in by them and coming to delight in their beauty and simplicity.

This is the kind of album that never tires one to listen to, and becomes beloved and more beautiful and meaningful with each listen. As I said in my title above, this music quite simply is Timeless, proven by its long long history and its continual "passing down" generation by generation from elders to children for hundreds and hundreds of years in many cases. There is much to hear here, whether for the first time, or whether you are long-familiar with some of it; and surely much to enjoy every time you listen. I rest my case for this album as a consideration for addition to your musical library.

As a last note here, I would like to draw your attention to the wonderful production of this package. While I am not personally a fan of digipack type cases, today one cannot avoid them. However, this one is very well made, of although paper card, it is a rather stable and sturdy material, housing the disc in a slit in the cover-liner (which will prove more dustless for your disc than the usual plastic holder glued there), and the booklet is very thoughtfully considered, providing much information that you will certainly find enjoyable to read about the group, etc. Further, the words to the songs are also printed there for you to follow along with, to perhaps learn and then in the future perhaps go out caroling with them...to me this is such a pleasurable pass-time during the holiday season.

A strongly recommended 5-Star release...don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're tired of the same old Christmas songs played November to January on the radio then get this., November 16, 2013
Listen to the samples then buy it. Very cool old world Christmas music. I can listen to this over and over and not get sick of it like most holiday music. One suggestion though is buy the disc and transfer it that way to your MP3 player. I did the digital download and had to install Amazon's cloud player just to download the music to my computer. No direct download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas music with .... recorders !, December 17, 2013
This review is from: On a Cold Winter's Day: Early Christmas Music & Carols From The British Isles (Audio CD)
I showed no interest in music at school, perhaps because I was forced to sing, and later, for a while, forced to play a recorder. I did both very badly. Only after setting up on my own did I start showing any interest in music, and then only as a radio listener. A lot has changed since then, but I never actually thought much of recorders anyway as it always seemed to me that clarinets (for example) had more to offer. I bought this album knowing that it was an old-timey albuim of folk music, but not realizing at the time that the main musical instruments are two recorders. There is a female singer up front, but there are some instrumental tracks too. While there are other instruments in the background, the recorders are the primary instruments. No hiding place, then, for these very mundane instruments that have so little to offer .... or so I thought. I have to concede that the results are impressive to say the least.

I ccould quibble about Huron being in Canada, therefore not part of the British Isles, therefore track 2 doesn't qualify for inclusion unless its ancestry can be traced further back, and I could quiblle about one or two other things if I set my mind to it, but those recorders have blown all that way. Even if, like I was, you have doubts about what recorders can do, then give this album a chance, just as long as you have some interest in great music presented in a simple, melodic form.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Collection of Early Christmas Music, December 1, 2013
Ted Detjen (Poughkeepsie, NY) - See all my reviews
This is a most unusual collection of early Christmas music. It is delightful to listen to as it is so different from conventional Christmas music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, December 19, 2013
I think I was expecting something more. This is nice and the music is good. Just doesn't feel as good as some of the other cd's I have. You will just have to decide for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., December 18, 2013
Great Album. It's Christmas and puts you in the Christmas spirit.. There is no better time of the year. Great Buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites., December 16, 2013
I love this album! I am a Christmas music freak and this album has songs I had never heard before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, February 20, 2014
So happy that I purchased this CD for the holidays. it was musically beautiful and really tapped into the beauty of the season!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›