Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 11, 1999
I knew of Michael Crawford from his role in "Phantom of the Opera," and I love watching Brian Boitano skate to his performance of "Music of the Night." But "On Eagle's Wings" was the very first complete CD of his music I'd ever heard, and it was a gift from a dear friend. This CD has become one of my most treasured possessions. I never get tired of listening to it, and I can never choose one or two of the songs over the rest. Whenever I listen to it, I always listen from beginning to end. I didn't expect to hear an operatic voice, and in fact I'm glad I don't! One thing that impresses me *very* much is Michael's diction. He enunciates every word so clearly, on every song, that if it weren't for the fact that five of the songs had been new to me, I wouldn't have needed to follow the lyrics at all! I first heard this CD at a rather rough time in my life. After I heard the entire album, my heart felt literally filled to overflowing with such a sense of peace, healing, and reassurance that yes, God IS in his heaven, and even when everything isn't right with my world, it can and will be, if I ask God to help me work hard enough. No other music has ever done that for me. Four or five of my friends have bought the CD on my opinion of it, and I intend to give it to my entire family for Christmas. I want them to have it for whenever they need the message of peace and comfort it brings. I cannot recommend "On Eagle's Wings" highly enough.
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 1999
The first time I heard Michael Crawford sing, I thought, "Wow! His voice is like that of an angel's!" I love this CD, too. "The percussion on "Amazing Grace" is SO beautiful. "The Holy City " and "Joseph's Lullaby" are pretty. "Not too Far from Here" will warm even the coldest heart and twist it. This CD is perfect for the Christian heart. God bless you, Michael, my angel of music. I thank you for giving me your beautiful music, and I thank God, too. He gave you the most beautiful gift in the world: your voice.
on March 10, 2003
No words can express the beauty I found in this CD! Michael's God given talent is evident and his use of it to praise the Lord is magnificent! I bought this based on reviews found here and learned of the title tract used in celebration at a recent funeral. I have many Christian CD's, but this is special! I was blown away by this CD and will purchase several more next week for friends and family as gifts. In an uncertain world, a CD like this renews hope and reassures us that with faith, all things are possible.
VINE VOICEon September 3, 2001
I first heard this CD while on retreat, and I knew I had to have a copy. Michael Crawford's voice is absolutely magnificant. His rendition of the hymns on this CD take me away from the troubles of this world and I can hear God speaking to me.
There is an old Irish saying "To live above with the saints we love, that would be pure glory, to live below with the saints we know, that is another story." Listening to this CD takes you all the way to heaven with the saints and angels praising God.
I love the old classics Amazing Grace and On Eagle's Wings, and was delighted with a couple of songs that were new to me - I'll Walk with God and Not Too Far From Here. This CD will make you smile, and maybe make you cry, as you realize how much God loves you.
on June 6, 1998
Michael's voice is the perfect vehicle for this genre of music. His own spirituality comes through in each track, from the traditional Latin of "Panis Angelicus", to the standard "The Holy City" to the contemporary "Not Too Far From Here". The emotion and conviction with which Micheal has always infused his show tunes and love songs has done new and marvelous things for this collection of religious songs. I challenge any soul who believes in the Living God to listen to "Joseph's Lullaby" and not shed a tear when the image of St. Joseph praying over our Savior's bed is so clearly and lovingly portrayed by this artist's vocal palate. Thank you Michael, once again, for an hour of listening pleasure. What your rendition of "Love Changes Everything" has done for my heart, this collection has done for my soul.
on September 18, 2001
I know that Michael puts a great deal of thought into each album that he does, as he did with this one. It is a wonderful inspirational album. These type albums are sometimes hard to sell, but in this day and time of such horror, I find the words expressed with his marvelous voice to be very comforting. Everyone should own this album. The words in On Eagle's Wings are so beautiful, I had the song sung at my husband's funeral this year.
on December 12, 1999
I love everything Michael Crawford does whether it is a play, a movie, comedy or music. This is my favorite. It nourishes my soul. I had to laugh at one of the reviews where the guy panned it. I wonder how much talent HE has. Michael is the most multi-talented performer I've ever heard. He can do EVERYTHING.
on January 18, 2016
Singer-actor Michael Crawford, with his eerily pure tenor voice, needs little introduction (I'll mention only that he is most famous as the title character of a certain blockbuster Andrew Lloyd Webber musical set inside the Paris Opera House). Here he puts that voice to apt use in a collection of inspirational songs, ON EAGLE'S WINGS. When this CD was recorded, Crawford was 55 or 56 years years old; yet aside from a certain thin or worn sound occasionally audible in his upper register, he sounds essentially the same as he did in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ten years earlier. Certainly his tone is as pure as ever.

Although my all-time favorite religious song is "I'll Walk with God," written in the 1950's (and present on this album, thankfully), I am not generally a big fan of "Christian pop," which means that one or two of the songs/arrangements Crawford picked I would have replaced with others (I would have loved to hear him sing the classic Parry "Jerusalem," for example). That said, Crawford does a wonderful job with each song he includes, and if his interpretation of "Not Too Far from Here" does not melt your heart, then you should probably check to make sure that you have one.
on April 22, 2000
This collection of gospel songs would be perfect for any spiritul person even without Michael Crawford as the artist singing. Having him perform these uplifting musical pieces is a definate bonus. I would encourage anyone who likes Michael's performance as The Phantom to try this album out. It is pure pleasure.
on February 24, 2006
If anyone is not a Michael Crawford fan when they purchase this item, when the last note of the last song is done.. I guarantee you will be. The man can carry a note and his voice is that of an angel! Michael includes Christian songs in his concerts, so be sure to get the IN CONCERT DVD only because it can just give more of the experience of the CD of the same name. You can listen to him all day if you choose to, you will not tire of his singing. It is melodic, soft, dramatic, electic and just heavenly.