5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, except for the mounting bracket
Published on June 24, 2008 by J. Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, February 8, 2008
WYong (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
The feature I love about this lock is that it comes with an LED flashlight on one of it's key for those times when you're cycling home at night, and it's dark, and when you fumble to unlock your bike (cos it's cold), you just .... can't... seem to... get.... the key.... in.... arrrghhhh!! but now at least you can see where the hole is and you can insert the key with ease.

The lock is also very well designed in that you can't turn the key unless you've got the key all the way in properly. this helps prevent damage to the lock (and to the key) when you try and force the key to turn without inserting it fully. (although on the first day i got it i thought the lock was jammed. turns out i inserted the key at a wrong angle) it also comes with a lock holder for your bike so that you can attach your lock to it when you're riding too.

it's only rated 2 stars for security, but no one's ever tried to steal my bike but i think having this lock around makes them not want to try. or maybe because my bike is a cheap piece of junk. definitely much more effective than a cable lock. plus onguard has some kinda insurance thing if your bike gets stolen while it's locked with this lock, which provides some additional peace of mind i suppose.

finally, you get free shipping because it's a shade over $25. all in all a satisfactory product. 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome durability, even through foul weather., September 2, 2008
After reading a blog entry reviewing several bike locks, I was convinced that this OnGuard Bulldog u-lock was the one for me during my college days in the Midwest. Through several seasons now, the lock has proved its durability and the extra keys have been really handy. (Just don't rely on that keylight!) My only concern would be about the lock's performance in freezing wet weather. A few times, water snuck into the locking mechanism and froze into an annoying problem. Granted, I didn't keep my bike in covered storage, and the ice wasn't anything my grip and twisting strength couldn't overcome with a minute of diligence. I like this lock and I think it got the job done well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, except for the mounting bracket, June 24, 2008
J. Haynes (Southern California) - See all my reviews
The lock seems fine and functions well, but the mounting bracket isn't working right. It has a yellow latch that you slide a groove on the lock into to mount it to the bracket, and it is supposed to keep the lock from sliding out again. The yellow latch also has a thumb piece that you can push on to release the lock. But I can pull the lock straight out without even pushing the thumb piece, this would probably be a major pain if you're riding over bumpy roads and the lock decides to slide out and onto the ground. I'm hoping that this is a just a problem with my lock and not every lock of this model.

1.0 out of 5 stars used for three months before the lock mechanism jammed, key wouldn't turn anymore..., November 28, 2008
The lock worked fine for about three months, but one day as I attempted to lock up my bike before a class I found the key wouldn't turn. I reinserted the key several times, but it wouldn't turn, not halfway, not even a quarter of the way. I had an extra cable lock with me, and figured I could fix the lock when I got home. I tried oiling it, and reinserting each of my five keys several different ways, but the lock wouldn't budge. I contacted the company, and was told that I could get a replacement lock by sending in my key tag along with the five keys that accompanied the lock. I sent these in, along with a printed copy of the email I got from the company representative, about three weeks ago. I still haven't heard anything. I'm shopping around for a new lock now, as I'm tired of only relying on my cable locks. I think I will buy a Kryptonite u-lock...

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lock, But Key has jammed, July 6, 2008
Robert Cannon "Cybertelecom" (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
It's a nice lock. I bought it to replace my Krypto, after the viral video of how to hack the Kryptos. It worked good for about 2 years and has been a solid U lock -- but now the key will only turn half way - jams in the middle. I have oiled it and cleaned it - cant fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Lock, May 4, 2010
SMA (Providence,RI) - See all my reviews
I bought this lock for a couple of reasons. First, it a very strong, durable lock. I saw video's on a major web site showing U locks of lesser build being destroyed by either hand tools or a tire jack. Sure, maybe the same tools could do the same, however I feel comfortable that it would take a longer time to do the same. Also this is just the right size. Onguard has an even smaller lock, but it is just to small for me. After reading reviews of it, it seems as if you may have some difficulty fully securing your bike. Also it is not as bulky as some of the bigger locks and therefore weighs less, though not much less. It comes with a mechanism to hold the lock to the bike, but I do not like it and have no need to use it since I simply put the lock around the seat with U loop projected forward. I have no problem with scratches. You do receive 5 keys, one is led lighted. They do not seem as durable as I would like them to be, but they should suffice. This review applies to the 3.5 X 7 lock.

4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy and reliable, December 24, 2008
David (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have bought this lock twice. First of all I live in LA so bikes don't last very long even with a good lock. The last bike I had got stolen 1 hr after I had left it locked. I locked it with this lock but didn't lock it to my apt fence (i put the bike inside) because I thought "cmon I'm only going in for an hour and coming out right away so why bother with the hassle, its not like I'm not locking it" and surprise surprise, little did I know that bike thieves would just lift my bike (it was a pretty light road bike >=[) and walk out the apt gate. I don't really blame the lock but it is something to consider.

Ok. sorry back to the review. The lenght of the lock is ok. And it is a definite plus that it comes with 5 keys!!! one of them having a led light. the lock barrel turns so that you can cover the keyhole from dust and water. However, the locking mechanism is sometimes a bit heavy and doesn't turn that smoothly but it is definitely not a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy lock and easy attaching, April 2, 2012
This review is from: On Guard Bulldog Series U-Locks
I noticed that many reviewers have poor things to say about the mounting device that comes with this lock. Therefore, I was apprehensive to give this lock a chance; but I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived and I had no trouble attaching the mounting bracket, taking the bracket back off to readjust position, and then taking the lock itself in and out of the bracket. The keys to lock seem a little fragile, but they do give you 5 of them with your order, I haven't had problem with them yet. Overall I think the quality of this product is great and it's easy to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough to install., August 31, 2011
Because the lock is so long, it's tough to find a good place to install it (for when it's not in use and you're riding). That's a bummer because I have to put it in my bag and it's HEAVY. Also, when you unlock it, a small piece always falls off around the "U" (that little tab you see on the left in the picture). I wouldn't buy this again, but at least it wasn't too expensive. These things are really just deterrents anyway. Any serious bicycle thief has no problem getting through these. I live in the City and that's life.

2.0 out of 5 stars good news and bad news, March 21, 2010
Adam Trachtenberg (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
First the good news: it seems like a rugged lock and I don't worry about it being defeated except by a determined pro with serious tools.

Now the bad news: there appears to be no way to remove the mounting bracket without destroying it. You mount it by tightening down a nylon strap across the bike tube with a ratheting mechanism, but, at least in my case, once you've tightened it down you cannot reverse the ratchet to loosen the strap. WTF? Perhaps that's why almost all of the two-page instruction sheet is dedicated to finding the right position for the bracket and almost none of it is devoted to actually installing it? Because once you install it you will have to CUT THE *#$% THING OFF to remove it and it's useless from that point forward?

Could it be that the ratchet is designed to reverse and mine was just defective? I don't know, because the tech support people on their website never responded to the service ticket I submitted, and there is no mention of removing the bracket in the instructions.

The other bad news: you see the black area between the two yellow caps on the bottom of the lock? That is annodized metal -- not rubber or nylon coating. It will scratch your bike if it rubs against it.