5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good
This is my first time reading this author. I was in the mood for a thriller and happened to notice this for free. I got it and I read it in two days. I would have finished it sooner, but work comes first.

Published on February 24, 2012 by Touchofmocha

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Substance
I seriously don't understand how this book has a 5 star review from 12 reviewers.

The reason I gave it 2 stars was because of the premise. I really did like the beginning of the book. However, the further you got into the book the less sense things were beginning to make.

I'd compare this book to the way a kid writes a term paper/book report. They...
Published on March 13, 2012 by DevilishlynAngel

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, February 24, 2012
Touchofmocha (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)

I really like the story. It was suspenseful at times, and I grew to love the main character, Rene. I liked how the author based the story around Domestic Violence, which is so prevelant in our society, but people are not proscecuted as often due to the fear of the spouse and children. I will be downloading other books by this author. I look forward to where else she can take me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping with the Enemy, February 22, 2012
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Rene Desmond is on the run! Deathly scared of her abusive husband Mark, Rene and her sister Maddy concocted an elaborate escape plan from Houston, TX to Sad Horse, Alaska. The temperature might be cold inside the Arctic Circle, but Rene and her two children Seth and Sara found warmth from the very caring townspeople of Sad Horse. And Rene also found herself very attracted to Brett, the town's patriarch and Rene's boss. The attraction was mutual.

Unknown to Rene, Mark was hell bent on finding her, following Rene's false trail to Europe. Finding only Maddy, Mark walked a destructive path of lies and deceit plus assault and battery. To Mark, Rene had to be punished for leaving him and he would not stop until his wife got what she deserved.

Alternating scenes between Houston and Sad Horse and the story being told in several points of view, the readers are treated to a romantic suspense that is worthy of Tom Clancy and John LeCarre. All the characters, including teh supporting ones are fleshed out and thus readers can find themselves living Rene's nightmare while wondering what is going on with Mark's convoluted mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Substance, March 13, 2012
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)

I'd compare this book to the way a kid writes a term paper/book report. They start out with a great idea and great designs on where they want to go but as time goes on and it takes longer than they anticipated and they're starting to lose focus they rush to just get it done and over with.

I don't understand how Rene's boss fell in love with her so quickly when there really seemed to be little, if any, contact/interaction with them besides him picking her up at the airport and making sure she got set up in the school. Then people start falling in love all around them all willy-nilly. You never really get a feel for the characters because there's no development of them.

The thing that completely did me in and just annoyed me was when her sister Maddy 'sensed something was wrong' and had to immediately 'get her mink and fly to Alaska. Husband, kids and plausibility be damned!' Seriously? If it was a paperback and not my Kindle I would've thrown it across the room.

I really can't be too upset since I got this book for free but the reviews completely threw me. I know they're subjective but seriously a full 5 stars and I disliked it THAT much? Something isn't right there...

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Read, February 28, 2012
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Running from an abusive husband in Texas, Rene and her two children make it to a small town in Alaska where she hopes the combination of small town and remote location will keep them safe. She hangs on to that belief until she learns her ultra-possessive husband has her sister, Maddie, in his sights, and is using her as bait for Rene's compliance. How Rene keeps all the balls in the air while trying to keep everyone she loves safe, makes for edge of your seat reading. This was an absolutely fascinating read with enough plot twists to keep you guessing until the end. If you're looking for a can't-put-it-down thriller, pick On Ice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 12, 2012
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Saying good-bye to Mrs. Mark Edward Desmond and hello to the rest of her life took all the strength Rene could muster. A convoluted escape plan set up with the help of her brave sister got her out of the house and on the road with her two children, seven year-old Seth and his little sister Sara. Changing her life and getting away from the monster who terrified them all was her main goal. It took all her courage to ignore his whispered words of killing everyone she loved if she ever left him. She had no choice if she didn't want him to ruin her children's futures like he would. Hugged by her frightened little boy as he choked out the words...I hope he never finds us gave her the spirit necessary to move them all to Anchorage Alaska and start a new life as a schoolteacher for a small mining community. Her new boss, a brute of a man, fierce like a gorgeous blue-eyed 'teddy bear' picked her up and brought her to her new home, a cabin in the wilds where she met warm kind-hearted people, wildlife in their natural setting and a way of life she grew to love. But...her husband's hate never lessened...he wanted revenge, and not just for her but for her sister also. This was a brilliant story and I got so involved in the characters, I couldn't put it down. Loved the rich descriptions and the story telling was excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, April 18, 2012
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I normally do not read romance but this was free and sounded interesting.

It started out very detailed and I was really getting into the story. Then everything just started flying by and details were skimped. Everyone loved everyone else all this time? I find it hard to buy.

*SPOILER*

I also wish the characters were not such idiots with Mark. I mean who hits their abuse
husband just a few times with a shovel after they toss their dog in the fire and nearly kill their son? I would make sure that bastard was dead before I even thought of walking away. Not to mention you own two guns and did not think to shoot him while he was unconcious?

2.0 out of 5 stars What Happened to the ending?, April 27, 2012
Leslie (Maryland Heights, Macau) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
**SPOILER ALERT** Like other reviewers, I thought this book started out pretty good. I really liked the premise and thought some of the characters in the little Alaska town were funny and intriguing. However, this book really went downhill fast. The author could use a little work on descriptive writing. Instead of describing the characters actions to convey their feelings we are just constantly told "Seth felt sad" or "Rene was scared". I also found it odd that she had maybe 3 or 4 brief encounters with her boss and then all of sudden they are in love!? Rene also is very quick to get past any trust issues she has with men. She easily allows people into her and her childrens lives. I would have thought she would be a little more cautious if she was truly on the run and fearful of being found out. Her actions and what we are told are her feelings don't always seem to match up. There were also so many other things that threw me off. Almost of the characters are extremely straight forward and honest. The fact that she never taught before but, was suddenly this fantastic teacher that everyone loved. That she had absolutely NO experience with a computer and was still a fantastic teacher. The mechanic's accent suddenly drops and reappears. The fact that Mark was able to slip away from the P.I. and bodyguard because they were making out while they were waiting for the police. There were just too many implausible scenarios thrown into the book that distracted from the plot. Like I said earlier the premise is great and the story started out really good, it was almost like there was a different author who finished the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to move to Sad Horse, August 11, 2012
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I loved the story, the sister helping get the abused wife out of a rotten relationship and the great town of Sad Horse. Rene is able to get free with a trip she didn't go on but her sister did. If it weren't for their stupidity she may have gotten away with out her husband finding her for a long time but that would have ruined the suspense.

I have to agree with other reviewers who questioned how fast that Rene fell in love with Brett with very little interaction between them, How she was this perfect person at everything she did even if she had never ever done it before and why didn't Brett check her teaching credentials prior to actually hiring her?

The town of Sad Horse seems to be a conglomeration of outcasts with self esteem issues and because of the issues they have they are more than happy to welcome anyone who appears in town. I have decided that I want to move to Sad Horse so I can find my place in this world. Also I would love the long winters being stuck in the house as long as I have my kindle.

2.0 out of 5 stars ENDING > BAD, April 27, 2012
Cherwin (Montana,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the first half of book, very suspenseful and I really liked Rene. She had the strenght to run! But if you have been abused and are running for your LIFE, you would not fall right in love again, with a man who is aloft and doesn't even talk to her much. She talks to Ben next door more than Brett, who she falls in love with??? And everybody in the town just loves everybody. Not even possible.I kept reading just to see how everything would turn out with Mark. And it was a TERRIBLE ending. Spoiler alert > Why would a women who went to the trouble of getting a gun and learning how to SHOOT IT. Fall apart at the end and forget she has it? And why would she stop and cover everybody up with blankets, when your husband is going to kill your daughter?? Didn't make any sense. Use the gun it was what she bought it for and it was right in her purse, why didn't she finish him off with the gun, he almost killed her son. Very poor ending. Could of been great with different ending. Sorry didn't like.

5.0 out of 5 stars ON ICE is full of suspense, February 25, 2014
brenda (LADERA RANCH, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Ice (Contemporary Romantic Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
On Ice is an intriguing story full of interesting twists and turns that made my mind race. This gritty story keeps you glued to the pages wondering where this all would lead. Would this plan work or were these people doomed. The writing and storyline were so sharp that this adventure became very personal for me. I wanted good to prevail. I loved the natural dialog and the realness of the inviting (well some of them were inviting) characters. This was an easy story to get lost into and escape to another place with on going suspense that was never ending.

Excerpt~

"Why Mr. Desmond, the children aren't here. Mrs. Desmond picked them up earlier."
He'd felt like a fool. Rene made him a fool.
"She said there was a death in the family." Mrs. Sloan stood with her hands clasped together looking at him over her bifocals.
"Yes. Yes, of course." Mark felt totally inane saying it but he didn't know how else to respond. Mark Desmond always knew what to say. He turned to leave.

Rate and Discover Movies