Published on March 27, 2012 by Bitter Bierce

3.0 out of 5 stars For fans of the genre
Published on March 20, 2012 by JR

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing! One of the top ten albums of the 21st century, March 27, 2012
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
I've been around the scene (punk and hardcore and everything in between) since 1989, and I probably own about 2000 records/cds. Every year (nowadays) I'm lucky if I come across more than a small handful of bands that make me feel as connected to, and as excited about, the music as I was 'back in the day'. About three years ago I came across the Menzingers - a band that fit that 'small handful' accolade...and then some. This album is, in a very good way, a bit more controlled than previous albums (notably the recording quality and the two singers' maturity with their voice capabilities; really good harmony does take a good amount of talent, especially if it's to convey a modicum of soulfulness that's too often lacking in anthemic tunes). Part of me misses the more raw style of aggression of, say, the song 'Sunday Morning', but another part of me would give $100 just to hear that song re-recorded and put on this album.
In short, this is sincerely one of the best albums I've picked up in the last decade. 'The Obituaries', 'Gates', and 'Ava House' may very well be the best three back-to-back-to-back songs that I've heard on an album since I don't even know when. If I had to be a critical jerk, then I'd say that the lyrics, though rich and polished for a band that's still in their 20s, could cling a bit less to the 'spoiled livers and smokes' motif, but I suppose it's fitting if one is, indeed, enamored upon drinking too much and smoking sticks of tobacco. This is the one area where I'm on the outside looking in, but to each their own.

Anyway, do yourself a favor and pick up this album. The band deserves your support, and if you're worthy then you deserve this music.

And if you're the band and you're reading this, then, to quote the Descendents, "thank you for playing the way you play."

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginning to End, February 26, 2012
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
What an amazing CD. This has to be hands down one of the best punk albums I have heard in a long time. From beginning to end you can listen to this over and over. The passion and emotion is so intense on this album. A little bit mellow from previous ones but amazing none the less.

3.0 out of 5 stars For fans of the genre, March 20, 2012
JR (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
I have seen this album lauded all over the internet, with some going so far as to proclaim it the album of the year already, but having finally heard it, I have to admit I'm puzzled by what all the fuss is about. It's definitely a good album, well made, an enjoyable enough listen. But it isn't original, transcendent or even particularly memorable. It is apparently a pop-punk album, but it actually consists of quite safe, mid-tempo rock songs for the most part, complete with an emo-style frontman, making the whole thing sound like some whiny mall-punk band, admittedly a very polished and studio-savvy one. Perhaps these guys are more than that, but this really lacks the kind of power or forward momentum I would expect from a 'punk' album, even a 'pop-punk' album. It doesn't really take any chances.

No doubt fans will say that my expectations are the problem or there are subtleties I'm not getting, or I'm not appreciating the depth of the lyrics, and that may be true. All I'm saying is that when an album receives so much praise, I expect something a bit more compelling. For me, this was merely okay and certainly nothing special. Perhaps if you are a fan of the genre or the band's other work, it might be the best thing you hear this year, but others should be a bit more wary before purchasing based solely on hype.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect it to live up to Chamberlain Waits, November 16, 2013
KxLx (daly city, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
This was a bit of a let-down from their previous release, Chamberlain Waits, but I guess it's hard to live up to that one if you loved it so much. This was still a decent album. But I admit, I still pop back on Chamberlain Waits instead of this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, September 3, 2013
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
I wish I hadn't waited so long to check this album out. Chamberlain Waits was good, but this blows it away.

5.0 out of 5 stars best album i have purchased in years, August 27, 2013
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
had heard a couple of tracks live and wanted to hear more. fell in love with the album in the first 10 seconds of track one and was impressed the entire way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of 2012, July 10, 2013
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
As a huge fan of The Menzingers I was thrilled to see this album was going to be released on my birthday. After one listen I stopped my iPod and declared it the album of 2012. 11 months later when the year ended my statement heldf true. I have listend to this CD over 100 times, and still find myself coming back to it. Fantastic Album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Cd, May 14, 2013
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
My first Menzingers cd and love this band I am going to see them in June can not wait, very excited, seller was very quick to deliver and it was like new!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent song writing, May 2, 2013
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
A great album. The song writing is excellent. The songs may be relatively simple on their face but the craftsmanship of the lyrics and the emotion of the delivery is fantastic. I don't think there is a bad song on this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of 2012, April 14, 2013
This review is from: On the Impossible Past (Audio CD)
This album rates as the best of 2012 for me. Any album that I can play over and over with out getting sick and tired of it deserves this rating.

ARRAY(0x9b744ce4)

On the Impossible Past
On the Impossible Past by The Menzingers (Audio CD - 2012)