2,445 Reviews
 (1,746)

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETELY blown away!!!
Published on December 19, 2011 by SunFlowers

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was Alright But I Wanted More
While they were On The Island it was a fascinating story. The two of them trying to figure out how to live on the island and then actually creating a life for themselves there, that was great. It was hard to put the book down!

Published on March 20, 2012 by ilovebabyblue

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETELY blown away!!!, December 19, 2011
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
I'm ridiculously hard to please when it comes to romance novels. I make no qualms about my quirks. If I hate a book, I will always say so. I don't sugarcoat. I usually raise eyebrows at books with overwhelmingly 5 star reviews. I figure this is the author paying people to shill and/or friends of the authors. Basically deceptive and fake reviews. There's so much of this going on so it's not uncommon to think of.

But I got the sample and something about it hooked me good so I bought it, read it and FELL IN LOVE with it.

5 stars is a rarity for me. When I 5 star something, trust me that you can take it to the bank. I found this book on the romance forum as a recommendation for older heroine/younger hero. The age gap made me balk for a minute but after reading the sample I couldn't resist the pull of this book.

There wasn't ONE THING I disliked in this book. Not a single thing. It was all around, 100%, grade A PERFECTION.

The hero is perfect. The heroine is perfect. They are human and flawed and make mistakes but when I say they're perfect, I mean that I really LOVED them as characters, as people. It's rare to read a character that's genuinely good. Inherently good with nothing to dislike about them.

I don't even need to give a summary of this book because the written summary already tells exactly what it's about and I don't want to spoil this goodness. It's long but it's so perfect. The characters are fleshed out, their time on the island is fully developed and you truly get to know T.J. and Anna. After a few pages, it almost stops being a book and becomes a movie. The author was meticulous descriptive and it was as if you could literally SEE them on this island. SEE what they were doing and it was wonderful.

There was a small bit of continuity error on the timeline of the island. They were on it technically 3 years but at least twice it was said they were there for 4 years. The land in early June 2001. In June 2002, that's 1 year. In June 2003, that's 2 years. In June 2004, that's 3 years. They get rescued at the end of 2004. So that's 3 years and 6 months. Almost an even 3yrs,6mos. But that's so tiny and considering all they go through it DOES feel like they were there longer.

The reviewer Kate was right, a 5 star book is one you can't stop thinking about and that's completely true. On The Island is a book you will NOT be able to stop thinking about.

RUN, don't walk to that Click 1 Buy button and PICK UP and BUY this book right now. Right now!

5 stars without a doubt!

4.0 out of 5 stars Won over the skeptic in me - 4.5 stars, January 23, 2012
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
I read this book based on a recommendation from an Amazon forum. Lately, I have been in the habit of bypassing self-pubbed books due to the remarkable inconsistency of quality. Thank goodness I didn't pass this one by.

Spoilers may be included in the following:

Anna is a 30 year-old teacher, hired to tutor 16 year-old T.J., who has recently gone into remission after a long battle with cancer. As T.J.'s family has flown ahead, he and Anna make the trip to the Indonesian island together. Unfortunately, on the last leg of their journey, their plane crashes into the sea, and they wash up onto one of many small islands (think Castaway-the movie).

What follows is a wonderful story about two people thrown together and leaning on each other to survive, and eventually, however unlikely seeming, to fall in love. Actually, falling in love isn't that unlikely for these two, not the way the story is told, 1st person, from both POVs. This allows the reader to get inside Anna and T.J., to see their thought processes and how their relationship evolves.

There are not many books that I'm left thinking about for days after I've finished - usually I read several others and just keep going, but in this case, despite the quantity of books I've read since finishing On the Island, I'm still there, in that book, reliving it in my head. This is a good thing.

On a technical note - the book is extremely well-written, despite being a self-pub, and no glaring plots holes, etc. I was, however, disappointed to find that the author has not yet published anything else. I will now be on the lookout for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 18, 2011
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book at random while looking for something to start reading before bed. I wound up staying up into the early morning, finishing it in one sitting. I wish all books were this well thought out and developed. It exceeded my expectations. A 4 star book for me is one that I can't put down. A 5 star is when I put it down and I can't stop thinking about it for days afterward. Worth the time. It is fun, dramatic, serious, and sweet but it will make you think about your own life and relationships.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was Alright But I Wanted More, March 20, 2012
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)

It was when they got off the island that the book started to disintegrate. Either the author was rushed to make a deadline or she switched places with someone else because the parts after the island are pretty bad.

There's a very, very deep story going on here. The couple whose relationship seemed so right on the island are thrown into the "real world" where not everybody agrees with it and they need to, once again, adapt to a new way of life and figure out if they still choose to be together even when they were no longer each others' only option. This part of the book (practically the whole 2nd half) should have been just as captivating as the first part. But the writer doesn't go deep with it. She stays on the surface and has the characters tell instead of show. There's so much wasted space and amateurish writing in the post-island part of the book that I found myself skipping entire pages just to get it over with. There was a lot of useless information on those pages. For example, Anna goes to the grocery store and the author tells us every single item that's in the grocery cart. For what reason? The groceries had nothing to do with the plot.

Another thing that bugged me throughout the entire book was the way the characters kept calling each other by name. People don't do that in real life. I'm surprised that none of the beta-readers picked up on it.

The story is also very long. All of the reviewers who are saying they read it in one sitting should probably get checked for blood clots!

I got this book when it was on special for 99 cents so, for the price, I believe I got a good value. Even the listing price is fair. I just hope the author takes her time on her next novel. I know she's got it in her to be great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed!, May 26, 2012
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
When this book popped up on my suggestions, I was honestly extremely wary of it as I am with any novel that is this far-fetched conceptually. The idea of a tutor and student falling hopelessly in love while stranded on a deserted island seemed ridiculous to me. I hesitantly clicked "one-click buy" on Amazon and there was no turning back. I have to say, I'm so glad that I made that decision. There is the perfect amount of tragedy and complications to balance out the blissful love that the two main characters share, which is why the unrealistic nature of the book did not phase me. As the plot unfolded and I read unceasingly, I fell in love with the characters as they fell in love with each other. Anna Emerson and T.J. Callahan are two of the most likeable characters I have ever had the pleasure of meeting within the covers of a novel. I wanted so badly for their unconventional romance to work that I read this book in a matter of hours. The fact that this book was a one-dayer for me says a lot about it. Graves writes so cleanly and fluidly, which is perhaps what impressed me the most about the book. All in all, I was extremely impressed by my first summer read!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, October 11, 2011
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
i was very reluctant to read this story, didnt know if i was going to like the premise of the old trapped on a deserted island relationship, especially with the age difference between the characters. i am soooo very glad took the chance though because this story was so much more. i never once thought about the age difference, just the characters. i believed this to happened due to the great amount of detail that went into this book. i found myself feeling as though i was right there with t.j. and anna and felt every triumph defeat and love that they went through during their ordeal on the island. i really loved that it was not all romanticized and perfect especially during the 2nd half of the story. i would highly recommend this story to anyone looking for a great love conquers all story!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Like...SO GOOD!!, March 25, 2012
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
When I first read the synopsis, I said to myself, "A sixteen year old and a woman in her thirties. No way." But then after giving the book a chance it was one of the best things I have ever read. Everything about this story is so fantastic. The story is original, the characters are so real and believeable. This is truly a great read and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND people to read this book and hear both characters story. The viewpoint is told from both characters and Tracey did an awesome job. It was almost as if I was experiencing everything that T.J. and Anna were experiencing. I felt as if I was on the island with them taking on taking on their trials and embracing in their triumphs. Both characters formed an amazing bond through SO MANY different problems such as natural disasters, food shortage, malnutrition, shelter, sickness, everything you name it. If you are on the fence about reading this story, be like me and GIVE IT A CHANCE. Lately, I've been feeling like the books I have been reading seemed mediocre, but this blew me away. (T.J. is awesome) Anyways, give this book a chance! Thumbs up to the Tracey!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 23 yr old, male, hopeless romantic, and completely awestruck, April 5, 2012
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
Wow, i don't know where to start. I guess it would come to this considering there is so much emotion involved in romantic situations; and this is probably the first genuine romance novel I've read. I felt like the author set-up everything perfectly. Everything was rather subtle. This is a story about two people who have to lean on each other to survive both physically and emotionally. I feel like love was bound to happen. Oh god! When will I find my princess?!!
By the way, none of my friends know I'm now all of a sudden into romance novels, thanks a lot Tracey!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, April 6, 2012
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
The plot sounded intriguing and the reviews were enthusiastic so I expected a 5 star story. Not so. Overall it was average. I kept waiting for something that would make it special but the great plot was predictable and the dialogue was disturbing because it was unbelievable. The most annoying thing was how often the author needlessly threw in TJ's and Anna's names within the dialogue. Every other line was "Thanks, TJ." "Your welcome, Anna." Which I thought would be incredible if the author worked in a sense that just saying & hearing their names felt important because they were lost, ripped away from humanity and their identities. But no such thing, just a repetitive quirk.

By the end, I was no more attached to the characters and what would happen to them than I was in the beginning. In fact, I wished they didn't end up together because though happy endings are nice, the story would have been much more emotive had it ended with them separating and telling the story as a collection of bitter sweet memories.

Overall the execution was fairly amateur and I wasn't surprised to read this was the author's first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Story, November 5, 2011
This review is from: On the Island (Kindle Edition)
First off....can not believe this is the author's debut novel! Great writing, character development, and an epic tale. I LOVED this book. Set aside some time when you pick it up because you will not be able to put it down. It's a lost at sea, fight for your survival, emotional roller coaster kind of story. I cried for the characters and my heart melted at the love that develops between the main characters. A must read! Add to your library today!!

On the Island: A Novel (Plume Book)
On the Island: A Novel (Plume Book) by Tracey Garvis Graves