Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

Animals have escaped from The Franklin Zoo, and this new book gives your child the perfect opportunity to find them.

What a terrific book Sage Stossel has written, and he is the illustrator to boot. This book takes the child to almost every neighborhood in Boston. My granddaughter recognized some of the scenes. What fun we had finding the animals, and there were so many to find, in such strange places. This book came alive for both of us as we traveled from one neighborhood to another. The illustrations are fabulous! The colors, the figures, the buildings all seemed so real. My granddaughter fell in love with this book, and she sits and makes up her own stories to fit the pictures.

The only recommendation I would make is to cut down on the amount of animals in each neighborhood. The pages are so full of exquisite things to look at, that less is better. A minor point, however. The book is entrancing in its own right.

I would recommend this book to anyone, and, in particular, those who live in or near Boston, or Massachusetts.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 05-13-12

The Girl With the Cullender on Her Head

We're Off to Harvard Square
on December 9, 2009
Another great book from Sage Stossel! Both my kids love this - it can be read as a short story or the kids can pour over each page finding the animals, so it fits a good range of ages and is fun to go back to again and again. Being from Boston, I love how it evokes the neighborhoods and sites so well and the kids enjoy seeing places they've visited. The kids love the fun detailed drawings and the challenging searches, and the silly things they notice while they're searching for the animals. The kids enjoy Where's Waldo and I Spy Books, but On the Loose is more fun and I really enjoy reading it with them too. This is my go-to gift for all the kids on our Christmas list this year!
on April 11, 2015
Ahhh Boston is so historical. Sure it is old but it is also lovely. The best schools and hospitals in the world are here. The sporting fans are unlike any others I have met around the country. These people mean business. Great educational book for the small fry too.
on June 17, 2014
We've had this book for 2 years and our daughter (now 4) still enjoys hunting through its pages. The illustrations are fun and very cartoonish, which sometimes adds to the challenge since we can't always recognize all the animals. We live near Boston, and this is our go-to present when we have kids visiting with us. It's fun to have them read the book then go out to the actual places. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time we've bought this book.
on October 25, 2013
I bought this for for a couple who lives in Boston, loves animals, and are expecting their first child soon. I have to say, this book was a complete hit at the baby shower. The story is cute and the pictures -- which depict Boston landmarks like the Common, Faneuil Hall, the Public Garden, among many others -- are interesting and beautiful. Wonderful book!
on August 15, 2015
This is a great book for kids - entertaining, keeps them engaged, and they learn to identify different types of animals (lemurs etc) along the way. Great as gifts too, esp. if you or your recipient has Boston connections.
on September 1, 2011
On the Loose in Boston This was a birthday present for my grandson's third birthday. I watched him open it from my computer and saw him look for the animals hidden in the picture. I remember my children having books that had hidden objects. This book goes a step farther and shows sites of Boston, where he lives, and animals, which he loves.
on January 27, 2013
This is a great "hidden object" book along the lines of "Where's Waldo" or "I Spy". My 4-year-old son got this book as a gift, and both he and my 7-year-old daughter have been enjoying it immensely.

Like "Make Way for Ducklings" by Robert McCloskey, this book pays homage to the city of Boston. Each two-page spread features detailed, colorful watercolor paintings of iconic Boston locations that are full of bustling people.

Here is a list of the places included:
- The Franklin Park Zoo
- The Boston Common
- Fenway Park
- Newbury Street
- The Museum of Fine Arts

I like this book even better than other "hidden object" books because there is a rhyming story that goes with it - the animals of the Franklin Park Zoo are loose all over the city! For each painting, there is a rhyming couplet and a list of animals to look for.

The very last page is almost like a "bonus" - there is a maze through which you need to lead various animals back to the zoo.

This book is perfect for children - like mine! - who live in or around Boston and who will find joy in recognizing familiar scenes. Now that I know about this book, I also think it would make a great gift FROM a Boston native to a child in another part of the country / world. (I am already thinking of giving a copy of this book to my nephew living in France, since he associates me with Boston.) Additionally, if you're planning a trip to Boston with your children, this book can be given in advance to help get them excited about upcoming sites they will see, or you can break it out later and it would make a great souvenir.
on November 22, 2015
The book is very cute and just right for my grandson. But when I opened it there was a written inscription and torn cover page as well as other tears. I was very disappointed because it was described " Used, Very Good". It was not.
on March 20, 2014
I bought this to have something to read to my 5 year old granddaughter when she visits. She loves this book and it's always the first one she grabs for me to read to her. She has so much fun trying to find all the animals and sometimes she finds them faster than I do.