5.0 out of 5 stars Fine lock, but don't use WD-40 on it!
I've been using this lock for about two years now, with no problems. When I am not riding my bike, I actually use this to lock the steering wheel on an old GM truck I own that is notoriously easy to steal.

Published 21 months ago by James F

1.0 out of 5 stars Fully Functional - Frame Mount Is Dangerous
Published 20 months ago by Joel

1.0 out of 5 stars Fully Functional - Frame Mount Is Dangerous, June 16, 2013
This review is from: OnGuard Bulldog DT U-Lock with 4-Inch Cinch Loop Cable (Black, 4.53 x 9.06-Inch) (Sports)
I've had this lock for about a year. I have not had any problems with its primary function. Sometimes the key is sticky, but it has never been stuck completely. I am compelled to leave a review because I believe that the frame attachment harness is unsafe. It is designed to rotate based on the position on the bike, so it consists of two plastic pieces held together by a metal screw. My ongoing suspicion of the durability of this equipment was validated today when it separated from the bike, fell between the petal cranks, and caused me to experience my first over-the-handle-bars wipe out due to the locked up pedals. One bent back tire, broken spoke, road rash, and sprained wrist later and I will be purchasing a larger cargo bag in which to carry this lock. I feel lucky that this did not happen in traffic, as it could have been much more serious. If you purchase this lock and choose to use the harness, PLEASE make sure to check the screw every time you use it. It had obviously been too long since I had checked mine.

UPDATE - 4/15/2014
Was reminded to update this review. After several messages with OnGuard customer services, all communication abruptly went dark and I have not heard from them in the past year. I do hope that this occurrence made it back to the design team to prevent future injury.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine lock, but don't use WD-40 on it!, May 31, 2013
James F (Sterling, VA) - See all my reviews

However, I would suggest you NOT use WD-40, as WD-40 is not technically a lubricant - it is a SOLVENT which is more of a water repellant and rust/dirt cleaner, designed to clean metal parts but NOT provide long term lubrication. In fact, after time, it will ATTRACT more dirt, causing problems for your lock.

Instead, use a spray can of white-lithium grease. White lithium grease IS a lubricant AND is water repellant AND is long lasting, and will work much better in your lock mechanism.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to Kryptonite, May 18, 2013
This lock is just as good as Kryptonite u-locks. The lower price makes it a better value.

Positives:
-The U is made of thick steel, which I'm confident can not be broken without power tools.
-The keyhole is bump-proof, and very difficult to pick.
-Comes with five keys, one of which has a flashlight on it.
-Comes with a bike frame mount, which can be adjusted to any angle.

Negatives:
-Because of the way it is designed to be bump-proof, the lock comes with instructions to occasionally lubricate the keyhole with WD-40. Not receiving the lock properly lubricated straight out of the packaging is probably why some people have reported their locks freezing up soon after they buy them. I suggest that everyone who buys one of these squirt some WD-40 into the keyhole before they attempt using their lock for the first time.
-The anti-theft warranty must be paid for with a yearly subscription, and it will not cover any theft during which the thief uses power tools to break the lock. I'm quite confident from the feel of this lock that it could ONLY be broken using power tools, which makes the warranty just about useless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it at that price point, April 29, 2013
Great quality lock for the price. After doing A LOT of research I basically decided that at the end of the day, all locks are deterrents. Any lock will be cut if a thief has power tools. The reason I decided to not get something equivalent like the Kryptonite 2 series lock is the whole shared key issue. Everyone has kryptonite locks so if there is a key issue, chances are, you are going to run into someone with the same lock key at some point.

Even with that said, I decided to pair this lock with a kryptonite integrated chain lock and I am very happy with this decision. The Onguard bulldog is A LOT beefier than it looks like in pics and feels very good. The mount works very well and the cable is quite thick. So thick in fact that i have trouble fishing the cable into my saddle. The reason i gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is because you do have to be careful when locking the barrel as it doesn't latch on one side so theres nothing holding it in place until you actually lock it.

I would recommend this to anyone but be patient with the locking mechanism and you should be fine!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good out of the box, except for one small glitch..., August 7, 2014
Eduardo Neecha (AI-EEEEEEEEEE!!!) - See all my reviews
Seems to be much better than the Kryptonite lock that I had many years ago. Bought this after reading several professional comparative reviews which rated this brand better than the Kryptonite brand, so I figured it was worth a try---I like to give the less well-known brands a chance since the biggest dominant names are often based more on inertia and marketing than actual qualitative superiority.

This lock is just the right size and heft, is a reasonable weight not too heavy and reassuringly not too light. The lock opens and shuts smoothly, the key turns easily and consistently. I kind of wish the cable were about two feet longer in order to secure both my front wheel and my seat to the U-lock that secures my frame.

Love that it comes with five keys, one of which is oversized and has a built-in LED light. Unfortunately, the key-light is a great idea but poorly executed---I put mine on my keychain with the rest of my other keys, put them in my pants pocket and went out for a ride. When I got to my destination 20 minutes later and took out the key to open the lock and secure my bike, I noticed that the light was on, and no matter what I did it refused to turn off.

I will try to see if I can get the key-light replaced by the manufacturer. This is kind of annoying, that they came up with such a flimsy and unreliable design for such a nice bonus feature, though of course it doesn't really affect the actual function of the lock at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lock, two small issues., July 9, 2014
I really like this lock. It feels really beefy and is big enough to get around my bike frame and the bike rack. Also, like the cable so I can loop through my wheel. When I first got the lock, it seemed to big to mount anywhere on my bike, so I was kind of bummed, but then I read the instructions, and saw that it could be mounted on the seat stem. I was skeptical at first, thinking it would interfere with my pedaling, but after I installed it, I didn't even notice it. So that's a plus!
I've only had two issues.

(1) Sometimes it's difficult to get the base locked onto the 'U'. I did lube the lock with white lithium lube so I know its not jamming as the key turns easily. So I'll live with it.

(2) The lock clip that attached to the my bike came unscrewed when I was mountain biking. I know it was tightened when I installed, but I guess all the bouncing down the mountain caused the screw to back out and the lock to fall off. I have since reattached and put some loc-tite on the threads. Hopefully this will hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, July 11, 2013
I like this lock a lot. I had an old model that had some issues with the cylinder and while I was waiting for the company to send me a replacement, I ordered this one and have been really pleased with it. I especially like that the cable is fairly long and that the loops in the cable are big enough where one loop can pass through the other, making it easier to use the lock in varied situations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading anti-theft protection, October 6, 2014
The lock itself works fine, but the the anti-theft warranty on the lock is extremely difficult to activate and is very limited. They make you print out a PDF, fill it out, and mail it in with your original receipt. On that form, you need to report the lock dealer's address, name, and the date of purchase of the lock. Then, you have to report all the details of your bike's registration. You also need to report the dealer address name, address, and additionally report all the details of your bike and where it's registered. Then, you need to actually enclose the receipt from when you actually purchased your bike. After all that, you need to enclose a check for $1 for 1 year's coverage, $10 for 2 years coverage, or $15 for 3 years coverage. So basically you need to have receipts for EVERYTHING and also pay to activate the warranty.

The box cover doesn't mention that the anti theft protection is paid, so I feel misled about that. Additionally, who still has the receipt for their original bike purchase? And do I really have to print out a PDF and mail it to them to register for the protection that they offer on the front of the box? The scheme seems intentionally difficult and the advertisement on the front of the box misleading, so that's why I'm giving it a single star in spite of the lock itself being fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars which makes locking tedious. Additionally, July 28, 2014
The yellow plastic hole covers move when you are trying to install the lock, which makes locking tedious. Additionally, since both sides of the lock have a locking notch (as opposed to one side being bent), locking is made even more difficult, as you must hold the key open, and make sure both sides are sliding evenly down the u-lock, and make sure the yellow plastic covers do not travel.

Otherwise, this lock appears to be secure, for a relatively good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy construction., April 28, 2014
This is one of those times that online doesn't really give you a good idea of the size and weight of the product. These locks are both bigger and heavier than I expected. Not that the description is not accurate it's just that I was surprised when I opened the package. The lock works fine, seems very well made and I will feel secure using it. If my bike gets stolen with this lock on it the thief will have to be very determined or professional. There is not much more I can do in either case.