- File Size: 812 KB
- Print Length: 265 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0980245397
- Publisher: Bell Bridge Books (January 15, 2009)
- Publication Date: January 15, 2009
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0072NM3PI
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #109,115 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$14.95|
Save $8.96 (60%)
Once Bitten: Volume 1 (The Haven Series) Kindle Edition
|Length: 265 pages||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled||
Audible NarrationAudible Narration: Ready
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $3.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
- Book 1 of 2 in The Haven Series (2 Book Series)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
Kita is a shifter who turns into a calico house cat and as her father's heir, she doesn't think she is up to the task of leading her clan, full of such shifters as lions and tigers. So she escapes to earth through a gate that opens on the full moon. Constantly hiding from the hunters sent to find her she is just scraping by, surviving hand to mouth, day to day. She is not really living, nor does she actually hope for more out of life. Truly a lost little kitten in a big bad world. I loved that the author let us know just how lost Kita was, how foreign she found earth by the little keepsakes she keeps in her coat pockets...like a couple of marbles. When Kita first found the marbles she thought they were very pretty rocks. The story is fast pased and for Kita it quickly goes to heck in a hand basket only to find herself a newly made vampire. She has no idea what that means for her. She's not even sure she's still a shifter. Talk about a fish out of water...a lost little kitten. Through her struggles she finds more strength within herself then she ever could have imagined. (She is woman hear her meow.) After being such a loner and so alone for the last 5 years, she finds true friends. People she can count on when things get rough...and they definitely get rough. I'm really looking forward to more in the haven series with book two, 'Twice Dead' coming out February 2010.
While the book has some romantic elements in it, it is primarily an urban fantasy novel. Unlike most urban fantasy novels, the different supernatural species are not that familiar with one another. This is an interesting spin on the normal urban fantasy formula, and I can't wait to see how she develops the relationship between the two main characters.
If the publisher offered the book for $0.00 to get people hooked on a new series, they succeeded. I'll definitely pay to read Twice Dead.
Here's what the other reviews aren't telling you.
1. The protagonist (Kita) has more of the 'woe is me' permanent passiveness of Twilight's Bella (not a character I enjoyed) than, say, the resourcefulness of Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson, even though both Kita and Mercy are relatively powerless shapeshifters. The constant victimhood was annoying to me. Take some responsibility. I hope she grows a pair in the next book.
2. The Kindle edition has one or more spaces after the starting J of most works that start with J. Very annoying. Some other annoying editing errors also, but that one is so consistent and bizarre that it must be a failed approach to identifying if anyone makes copies. It's especially annotying when the j is stranded on the line above the rest of the word.
Other than those issues, it is an interesting and easy-to-read story with a decent amount going on. It does suffer a bit from the cast-of-misfits problem of throwing a bunch of characters together - mages, vampires, shifters, etc. - but it's still a new take and good story.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great characters, twists galore, fun read.
Not just the average read, were, the girl falls immediately for the guy who saves her. Read more
3rd star for complex paranormal world and interesting characters who are neither too dark nor too light. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Linda
Two things attracted me to this book. First the author Price. Her 'Alex Craft' series is very good. The second thing was the summary of the book. Read morePublished 3 months ago by E.P. McLean
Great world building and terrific characters. Loved it. Loved Kitten, Nathaniel and the whole kit and caboodle.Published 3 months ago by Kim E. Power
so it has an interesting storyline which flowed from one point into th e next with ease, the characters were well fleshed out, and the details were extraordinary when they were... Read morePublished 13 months ago by Kindle Customer
I really like this author's Alex Craft novels, and finally caved and ordered these 2 older books (Once Bitten and Twice Dead). Read morePublished 14 months ago by Mary S.
Been a while since I got to read a good book that made me blurry eyed because I was determined to read until I reached the end.Published 15 months ago by AlishaWilkins888
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Romance > Fantasy
- Books > Romance > Paranormal
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban