Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on June 9, 2012
My brother in law saw an article about this book in our local news paper. It was on his Christmas wish list so I bought it for him. When it came in the mail, I couldn't put it down. I ended up ordering another to keep for myself. A wonderful coffee table book, for sure.
on October 24, 2011
The photos collected in this book are awe inspiring, informative, but sadly morose. To know and see that these houses once stood in the Twin Cities, but only to be demolished is a travesty. These houses went by the way of the wrecking ball, but to have that monstrosity of stainless steel to remain standing at the U of M on Washington Ave. puts into perspective of what is wrong in this world. Share this book with all like-minded-people (i.e. taste for beauty). Only a brilliant mind could draw-up such incredible lavishing mansions and highly skilled hands could build that very same mansion. It's hard to believe that these houses once stood. I'm glad to have purchased this book.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2012
Mr. Millet does it again, highlighting the fantastic history of the Twin Cities, this time by way of its historic mansions. It is fascinating to read this and se the photos of what existed, yet sad to read about the short life of so many of these places.
on October 29, 2011
As a reader of Lost Twin Cities I knew this would be good. It's better! The writing is clear and concise, the photos are beautiful. Thanks for a GREAT book!
on February 1, 2013
Larry Millet did an excellent job of researching the 19th century homes that have been torn down in Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN. The photographs are wonderful and the descriptions clear and entertaining.

If you have any interest in the history of the Twin Cities, Historic Architecture, Victorian Homes, or the 19th century, this book is definitely a worthwhile purchase! This is a book you can use for references, historic trivia games, or just a way to spend a few hours entertaining yourself.
on February 6, 2012
I was amazed at the size of single family homes that were standing in Minneapolis in the 1800's. We really were the cities of Castles. I never imagined we had such wealth in the early years of the Twin cities. Larry Millet has created a awesome wealth of cultural history in his book. I feel this book has given me an appreciation of how Minneapolis and St.Paul were the heart of abundance and style during their formative years. After reading Larry's book I felt a bit sad that most of these works of art are no longer standing for us to enjoy.
Wes Hamilton
Broker Minnesota Lakes Realty
[...]
on November 29, 2014
This one of the saddest books ever written. You will agree when you realize each structure highlighted within these pages is now merely a photographic memory. As a preservationist I feel this book should be sitting on the desk of city planners nationwide as an example of how we haphazardly destroy the very elements of our cities that make them unique. It should also be on a reading list for any course dealing with the growth and demise of American cities. This is an exceptional work in a field which is full of volumes like this. You need not be a native of, or even interested in the twin cities to enjoy this book. This is a work detailing the worst of our American architectural heritage, in that we destroy practically everything around us.
on December 24, 2013
I got this book for a family christmas party...where you randomly get a wrapped gift. We open the gifts one by one so everyone can see who got what...this book was the hit of the party...everyone was jealous of the person who received the book. Also, we do live in the twin cities, which I'm sure added to the appeal of the book. It's nice to get some local history.
on April 1, 2014
A teaching tool which is too beautiful to put down. Wonderful photos great bits of days gone by.

Books such as these remind us of what we have lost by foolish decisions. This is a beautiful book with many memories for my parents and a few for me, too. I love Larry Millett's novels, too. :)
on December 27, 2011
I received the book as a gift. It is amazing and I found it hard to put down. The desstruction of these beautiful homes makes me sick. This is a recommended book for anyone interested in local history, architecture, and beautiful homes of yesterday.