1,047 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing will ever be quite the same...
"Once Upon a Time" keeps finding new and fun ways to mix traditional fairy tales with a modern zest, coming up with one of the most entertaining programs on television. In season three, the producers deliver a whole new version of Peter Pan, then, just to keep it interesting, rethink the Wizard of Oz.

As the Season begins, the heroes of Storybrooke are...
Published 8 months ago by D.S.Thurlow

Forgive some of my awkward phraseology. This is my third attempt to submit this review so I've tried to remove as much "obscenity" as possible while still keeping the offensiveness intact. I only mean to offend the writers of the series because I found this third season very insulting to my intelligence. Anyhoo..

My favorite genre is science fiction...
Published 5 months ago by gamer

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing will ever be quite the same..., June 25, 2014
This review is from: Once Upon A Time: Season 3 (DVD)

As the Season begins, the heroes of Storybrooke are off to Neverland to rescue young Henry from the clutches of a chillingly evil Peter Pan. Half the season will be spent trying to outsmart Pan. Somehow, Snow, Charming, Emma, Regina, Captain Hook and Mr. Gold will get Henry to Storybrooke, only to find they have been followed by a surprising curse. Emma and Henry end up in New York, unaware of Storybrooke, and the other characters end up back in the Enchanted Forest.

The terrific second half of the season begins with Hook trying to lure Emma and Henry back to Storybrooke, where things have gone even more badly wrong. Emma will find a new spell and a new villain in town. The Wicked Witch of the West comes with her own backstory and a grievance against the present. Another exciting season finale leave our favorite characters facing new dangers for Season Four, already promised.

Innovative writing should keep the viewer guessing from episode to episode, while none of the characters are ever allowed to stand pat. There is plenty of drama, mystery, humor and romance, and the possibilities are still endless. "Once Upon a Time: Season Three" is very highly recommended to its many fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 3 is off to a very good start... (spoiler free), October 1, 2013
I'm going to start by admitting that I thought that season 2 was ... ok. Season 1 had real direction and season 2 found seemed more interested in cameo characters than having a specific goal in mind. I say this because it helps you understand my point of view better when you hear what I have to say about season 3's first episode:

I loved it. The first episode of this new season is off to a great start by, first and foremost, throwing us right into the action where season 2 left off. The enviroment was new and exciting; no more locations that we've seen a million times already. The cast was just as great as they've always been. The writing found a way to make enemies into allies without falling into the realm of the unbelievable. They created several factions that could provide conflict for the whole season if they desired it; some new and some familiar. As usual, the special effects are above expectations. This episode provides you with a few shocking moments and a lot of things to look forward to. With half of the cast members representing new characters, I don't think this show is going to run out of things to throw at us. I highly recommend watching this season.

***Note*** - If you haven't watched season 1 or 2, you're likely to be a little lost as to why everyone is where they are ... and who they are ... and what they're doing. This is not really the best of jumping on points. I would recommend at least starting with season 2 to understand who most of the players are and what everyone's motivation is.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOST in ONCE, March 2, 2014
This season was way more exciting than the first 2. I love every episode but this season, in true LOST fashion, delivers new twists. Now when is StoryBook hoping to have a wild polar bear wandering around. Lo.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this TV Show., March 9, 2014
I absolutely love this show. I don't watch much TV by choice. When I watch something it really has to hold my attention and be worth spending an hour of my life to watch.

My 9 year old son has become an addict of the show as well, he started watching later than I did, so he is catching up on Netflix. I bought the Season 3 on Amazon so I could be caught up for Season 4 which starts today.

Highly recommend this show.

4.0 out of 5 stars love it!, March 5, 2014
Well I just started watching once upon a time a few weeks ago and I couldn't stop watching it, it was so intense and so interesting he same time, left me on the edge off seat the whole time. I love this season. It has the same amount of intensity and still being romantic and exciting at the same time. My only complaint about the series is that it's a little weird in some episodes just kinda of creepy but nothing to much where I didn't want to watch it anymore. So yes if you're wondering if you should purchase this or not it is well worth the 1.99$ but that's just my opinion. Hope this helps:)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, November 25, 2013
OMG who ever came up with this story is a genius .....Love IT I would watch it over and over again

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, March 17, 2014
The writing and cast in this series continues to be extremely entertaining, simply wonderful twist on the childhood stories we grew up with and continue to pass on to generations to come

5.0 out of 5 stars Will become a quick favorite!, November 29, 2013
You cannot go wrong with Once Upon a Time. This season is full of adventure just like the last 2 seasons, and the series is a favorite of mine!

2.0 out of 5 stars The show is not nearly as good as I personally would like it to be, September 29, 2014

My favorite genre is science fiction and fantasy. I love the creativity possible with fantasy. The many cute twists in season one, such as Charming being the one in a coma and not Snow White, really made the show fun. I also liked figuring out who was who. But it was Robert Carlyle's interpretation of Rumplestiltskin that made me absolutely love the first season. Even the amateurish acting by Snow and Charming was almost endearing considering this was a show where true love is the most powerful force in the universe.

In season two, the show started coming off its rails. By season three it had become not nearly as good as I personally would like it to be. I realize a two star rating may seem antagonistic when the series has an overall rating of 4.7, but my two star rating does reflect my honest opinion of season three.

After season one, the show lost its magic. I almost get the sense that after the first season, the writers didn't know what to do with the show. We got three storylines occuring at the same time, which made the series disjointed. Early on, I remember getting a very bad feeling when Mulan was introduced. Her acting was as bad as Snow and Charming's and it seemed like the show was going out of its way to find people who can't act. The amateurish quality of the acting was no longer endearing. I started to really dislike the cast, particularly the heroes. I hated Charming's bright red lips and that stupid sword he carried was unnecessary and made him look not nearly as good as I personally would like him to look. Ditto with Snow White's overacting and incessant smug expression.

But Cora kept me invested in the story. Barbara Hershey was excellent and she was a worthy nemesis to Carlyle's Rumpelstiltskin. I particularly liked her back story and Rumple's assessment of why she was more dangerous than Regina. But then her plotline ended abruptly after only a half dozen or so episodes, and then we are thrown right away into the Neverland/ Peter Pan storyline.

After the cleverness of season one, I personally expected more out of Neverland and felt personally let down in my oh so humble opinion. There were some mildly clever twists, like Rumple being "the crocodile", but for the most part Neverland was silly and tedius. When the identify of Pan was revealed, I actually got angry at the show! I also didn't like how quickly Hook's lust for vengenance disappeared and instead he became infatuated with Emma and followed her around like a lovesick puppy. He should just wash off his guyliner and put on a pair of khakis and a sweater because he's as much a pirate as Jim from The Office.

But the worst part of season 3 is Zelena. The green makeup was silly and she came off more 'cheesy' than 'wicked'. Her laugh was just annoying. Plus, she's not wicked, she's simply a textbook borderline personality. I don't feel like I change the wording here, because I honestly think she would fit the DSMIV or DSM5 criteria; in particular her wavering feelings of pure love vs pure hate for Rumple, her constant feelings of persecution, etc. I'm in no way impugning mental illness and I have tremendous sympathy for people dealing with mental illness, particularly BPD which is untreatable with medications.

And no more time travel!!!! Getting her parents to hook up is creepy and it not nearly as smart as I personally would like it to be.

And the writing has tanked. At one point Snow says something like, 'Next to true love, footware is the most powerful thing in the world." What!?! Okay, it's two in the morning and a writer pitches that line and everyone nods because they want to get home. BUT THE NEXT DAY... How could they allow a line like that to actually happen!

And the constant Star Wars Vadar/ Luke/ Leia thing they're pulling is also not up the standard that I would personally like the show to be at. I'm afraid my revisions may have obfuscated my opinions of the show. In my unpostable review, I called the third season a joke and ended my review with a crude pun by comparing the Star Wars thing to a sandwich. You'll have to use your imagination.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only one major flaw with this purchase, September 25, 2014
This review is from: Once Upon A Time: Season 3 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I don't normally complain about stupid, petty things, but the OCD part of me is upset enough by this to mention it. This Blu Ray arrived without the usual outer box. All it came with was the bare case. I ordered both seasons 1 and 2 from Amazon and they both came with the really nice cover with the special graphic effects. And, well, this one's plain (and I know that there are versions out there with the box). So, if you care about the pretty casing don't bother purchasing it here. Aside from that, the discs are all there and whatnot. But now I'm considering returning this and picking up the nicer one at Wal-Mart, because I'm just picky like that.

Once Upon A Time: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
Once Upon A Time: Season 3 [Blu-ray] by Jennifer Morrison (Blu-ray - 2014)
$79.99 $44.00