Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on October 7, 2007
I picked up this book last night and read it in full, in one sitting, cover to cover. I knew it would be a quality book and hoped it would give me additional insight for families that call the office with questions and concerns about their sons and daughters returning from combat and transitioning out of the Marine Corps.

The book was beyond my expectations. I finally "get it". I finally understand that our sons and daughters will all have a tough time returning to civilian life--they don't have to have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) or COS (Combat Operational Stress) to have concerns about returning home and adjusting back to a civilian lifestyle. And I understand why now. That knowledge and understanding will help me help other families, and most importantly, help me to help my son.

The authors, Dr. Bridget Cantrell and Chuck Dean, (also of the critically acclaimed book on PTSD, Downrange to Iraq), have once again written a self-help guide that will assist the families of Warriors understand "why" the civilian world is tough for anyone who has been in combat (downrange). The book will guide the Warrior through different scenarious, validate the feelings and emotions and difficulties they face at homecoming, and provide them with practical, useful suggestions for living life as a civilian. The authors take this one step further by encouraging our Warriors to make good use of their military skills outside the military--yes, even infantrymen have skills and qualities that will be useful in civilian professions.

Once a Warrior: Wired for Life should be required reading for military personnel from the privates to the commanding officers, for every family member, and for anyone in the healthcare profession treating or talking with military personnel and veterans from current conflicts and past conflicts. Buy the book, read it, pass it on, and encourage others to do the same. Share the knowledge you will learn from it. This is the best way I know to support our troops.
on February 1, 2009
As a psychiatric nurse and an expert in combat PTSD, I can recommend this book without hesitation. I didn't think I could learn that much anymore, but my copy is thoroughly marked up, underlined, and highlighted.
on July 14, 2008
Once a Warrior: Wired for Life, is a must read for any soldier returning from combat, especially Iraq and Afghanistan . As a Military Chaplain I have used this book extensively making it available to both returning service men and women and their spouses. Bridget Cantrell and Chuck Dean have written a helpful book as a follow-up to their Down Range, Iraq and Back. The book is an easy read and is a must for chaplains, ministers, family members and friends of returning service members. It can literally be a life saver. Chaplain David J. Fair, PhD, Military Forces of Texas, TXSG ChaplainOnce a Warrior: Wired For Life
on January 24, 2009
My life partner spent 2 tours in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. Unfortunately our country did not treat any of those soldiers for PTSD at that time. So for 25 years or more my friend has had to deal with his PTSD on his own and as you can imagine; he did not deal very well. He is now in the VA system and receiving 100% disability for what he had to go through. He attends counseling sessions regularly that are provided by the VA and this book was recommended for both of us to read by his counselor. We both find this a very helpful tool to aid in his rehabilitation and for me to understand him better.
on February 8, 2013
I lost my first book, so I bought a second one, and that's how addictive it can be. I have refered to this book in Veterans Groups, who have all kinds of problems recovering from WARS. It is not colosal like War and Peace, instead very useful in identifying and recognizing symtoms of a Warrior. I remember Lex Luthor in Superman said "some people can read Tolstoy's War and Peace, and walk away with nothing and yet some can read the back of a matchbook and unfold the secrets of Universe" This book is one of those matchbook covers. I admit, I suffer many wounds from the Vietnam War, and that was 40 years ago for me, but the scars still remain. I think that "Once a Warrior, Wired for Life" should be on the book shelf of every Veteran, and let us not forget our Warriors, 22 Veteran suicides a day, and ask your CongressPerson or Senator why, then be ready for their NON-response.
on June 16, 2008
Both of these books are very well written. It is direct and to the point; a must for vets. The authors did an excellent job of explaining how a soldier's military duties translates to civilian life. Everything became crystal clear for me, even things I thought I understood. I gave my copies to a recently retired vet and I plan on purchasing additional copies for myself and my cousin, who is currently deployed.
on May 8, 2015
Not what I expected it to be. An OK book, but in my opinion, just that. There are better books out there if you are a veteran. If you are just curious as to some of what vets have gone and still go through, it may be an interesting read for you. Granted books are always subject to the opinions of readers; this is mine.
on May 30, 2009
I found this to be a great book that my senior leadership recommended me to read. I will retire after my third combat tour and I will continue to pass this along to my soldiers. I was wounded during a combat tour and this book has helped me plan for my retirement.
on August 27, 2012
I was pretty skeptical when I began reading (was this just another "lets over analize and stereotype all veterans" kind of book) but as time went on, I began to identify with the book and what the authors were talking about. Much was learned from our Vietnam Veterans, unfortunately, many of them were not given the correct, prompt, or specialized assistance when they needed it most - when they came home. The authors share those lessons with today's Iraq and Afghanistan veterans at a very opportune time - when they are coming home! This book definitely provides some good insight to what combat veterans, or any veteran for that matter, deal with in trying to make the transition from military to civilian life. As I read through the chapters, I found myself applying the book more and more to how I felt or my thought process as a Soldier, or to someone I knew and the hard times they were going through. I would definitely share this book, and it's lessons, with anyone making the transition - whether they think they are struggling or not. It's an easy read, but one that I know I will make a few times. Definitely recommend this for any veteran, from any era, as well as those currently serving.
on February 23, 2015
A very good book that helps you understand what your combat veteran might be going through upon returning home from war. It also gives suggestions in each chapter for the vets to follow in order to help themselves.