Customer Discussions > Java Web Services in a Nutshell forum

Once my passion - now worthless Masters.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2007 3:39:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2007 3:50:02 PM PST
This is about "globilization" and ageism for the faint of heart. I made a career move in 1988 after a music career. I went back to school and fell in love with programming. Even in my fifties I got my masters degree and had done very well as a consultant. When US companies turned their back on Americans and made us compete with people making 11 an hour, things collapsed. Programming was officially declared a mundane task and everyone started searching for Managerial work. I had a great 15 year career and it ended suddenly after being proclaimed the best possible career for so long. I'm selling my books and will turn to something else but I will never forget US corporations refusing to hire Americans at the time we were at war. Talk about patrotism - a corporation owes no allegiance to any government. The CEO glutton pay scale is all that counts - that and stock prices. Not quality, not the future, certainly no community good will, nothing but a 9 hour prison with demands for more and more time, less esteem and pay, and good old boy garbage. I saw people laid off - one wonderfull person died as she was an older lady. She was sharp but with the prejudice against Americans, she also had to deal with ageism. When I first felt the sting of ageism I was at the height of my career. It is so insidious and hard to prove, but you know it when it bites you. I could go on - and probably should write a book. Sorry to offend, but if you had walked in my shoes you would see that all of this was glaringly true. The workers morale was at an all time low when I simply said enough 3 months ago.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Java Web Services in a Nutshell
Java Web Services in a Nutshell by Kim Topley (Paperback - June 2003)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (5)