5.0 out of 5 stars A creative leap
Published on October 5, 2011 by S. J. Bockett

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but not as inspiring as I had hoped.
This book has some nice ideas, but I sort of feel like they took a basic curriculum from a high school art class and slapped it together here. The ideas here are nothing I haven't done or thought of on my own before, and I don't really like most of the art displayed throughout the book. I can see how someone less experienced might enjoy this book, but it wasn't for me.
Published 11 months ago by a.brunelle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A creative leap, October 5, 2011
S. J. Bockett (Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Drawing A Day: A 6-Week Course Exploring Creativity with Illustration and Mixed Media (One A Day) (Paperback)
This is an exciting and inspirational book - for people with a significant amount of drawing experience, and/or a great deal of creative daring. If you have already done gestural drawing, it should help a lot as this is largely the book's style. Even then, you might like to approach the book inventively by not rigidly following the lesson sequence and by spending more time on each lesson - for example, doing more than one drawing for each exercise using different viewpoints, even different mediums. Six weeks does seem rather accelerated, even if you have all the time in the world to create art. I for one am taking a more leisurely pace, spending several weeks on lesson one, which is to draw a still life of found objects from around the house. I am even sketching single items as exploratory exercises.

For a complete newcomer to drawing, the book's pace and minimal instructions could be rather daunting. For example, by the eighth day, you are expected to start drawing portraits of family members, a diplomatic exercise in itself. Could it include the family cat or dog? Human faces, of course, require considerable skill to draw, and the examples given obviously come from a highly experienced artist. The author could have let the beginner in more gently here - perhaps, like Da Vinci, to begin by drawing a series of noses, or ears or eyes? A successful artist in my country sketches men in slouch hats that cover the face, and riding on horses, only the equine rear end and tail! Artistic liscence if you like the idea.

I found it helpful to flip over to the gallery at the back of the book where selected artists (who belong to Studio 4182 as does Lawlor) use considerable latitude in interpreting their subject matter - from realistic to abstract to flamboyant. Ah, so I could approach a portrait in an abstract way? It would have helped to be given this option earlier in the book. The Studio 1482 website shows even more options.

The author, Veronica Lawlor is a reportage artist - an occupation that developed out of the more formal photographic reportage, which focused largely on social issues. Reportage artists take an informal and even light-hearted approach to their subject matter, something that could be delightfully infective for those of us who have taken a more prosaic approach to drawing. I expect to have a livelier and more fluid style at the end of six weeks. (Okay, so it will probably take me six months.)

A delightful book - but one that requires a creative leap.

5.0 out of 5 stars A creative and fun mixed media drawing course, November 10, 2011
Length:: 1:02 Mins

This is a book that grew out of the One Drawing a Day blog.

There are 42 interesting daily exercises aimed at giving you ideas on what to draw, and encourages encourage exploration and experimentation. Some involves drawing simple subjects around the house, some encourages you to draw outdoors, drawing the nature or people at a cafe.

The instructions are minimal but give you a good starting point to generate more ideas on things you can draw. The exercises require you to find a subject to draw, something you can see and use a reference, and not on conjuring ideas from imagination. The drawing style you can use are suggested by the exercises. We're not talking about realistic representational drawings but more on the loose and expressive.

It's important to note that this is a mixed media book. There are lessons that require different materials, like charcoal, watercolour, crayon, bamboo pen, etc. If you don't already have them, it might be difficult to follow along. A lesson that requires using watercolour can't really be substituted with other materials without losing the point of the lesson.

This is not a book for beginners with absolutely no idea on how to draw. You can be asked to draw portraits, and that requires observation skills that are taught not in the book. However, it's a fine book to pair with beginner drawing books.

The ending gallery features the work of artists from Studio 1482, which author Veronica Lawlor is part of. Other artists includes Despina Georgiadis, Eddie Peña, Dominick Santise, Kati Nawrocki, Greg Betza, Michele Bedigian and Margaret Hurst.

I'll recommend this book to those who want to keep their mind creative, and those who just want to have fun drawing.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you REALLY want to learn to draw!, September 8, 2011
S. Light (Manhattan USA) - See all my reviews
If you REALLY want to learn to draw get this book. It is no nonsense and straight to the point. The point being if you want to learn to draw...........DRAW!! Do a drawing every day, experiment, let the mistakes happen and have fun! The drawing in this book are so inspirational as are the artists that are featured. A must have for anyone wanting to learn to draw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Drawing Exercises for Beginners & Advanced, January 20, 2012
Sharilyn Miller (Idyllwild, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this book!
If you're just beginning to draw and sketch, the author's gentle approach will appeal to you. Her own drawings are loose and sketchy, fully of energy and personality -- no tight, perfect renderings here. She starts you out with some valuable instruction on setting up a basic home studio and assembling a kit for working on location, and her first exercise is a very easy still-life setup. The author also suggests trying different drawing tools such as a dip pen, bamboo pen, charcoal, watercolor brush, as well as graphite pencils and pens. Her "try this" approach to teaching is engaging for beginners as well as refreshing and inspiring for more advanced sketch artists and illustrators.
I also enjoy the fact that this book is full of eye-candy: lots and lots of colorful drawings and paintings by the author and other contributing artists, with a gallery of artists' drawings and paintings in the back.
Whether you're a novice or a more advanced artist seeking new creative exercises to inspire you, I think you'll get a lot out of this book. The lessons are fun, practical and inspiring, the artwork is top-notch, and the accompanying text is not only instructional but provides fascinating insight into the background behind the art. After reading this book, I felt a kinship with the author and the seven artists who contributed their drawings and ideas.
Each exercise challenges us to try something new, and to see our surroundings in new ways. For example, on page 59 you'll find exercise 20, drawing crowds of people. "The main thing is to look for the body language of the people and at how the crowd has a shape of its own. Don't find yourself drawing each person separately: Notice how one shape of a person connects to the other." What a fantastic way to approach drawing on location! I never thought of drawing "shapes of crowds" before, but I'm sure that I will do so from now on. And this is just one of the many tips the author shares throughout One Drawing a Day.
As I said before, I really love this book, and I think you will too. It's definitely a keeper!
Sharilyn Miller, author of Bead on a Wire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!, December 12, 2011
This book is awesome. Just what I needed to get my creative juices flowing. From the day I received it by mail, I have not been without it. I carry it daily to work along with my sketchbooks. This book is a great addition to any library.

4.0 out of 5 stars 6-week course, November 27, 2012
I wanted a book that would take me back to my drawing again and this book does it by presenting a 6-week course designed to hone your skills with daily practice. It sells itself as 'exploring creativity with illustration and mixed media' and I suppose I expected more of a collage approach. The mixed media instead refers (correctly) to drawing with different materials. It was what I wanted and what I got and contains lots of useful hints along the way. I've just got to be more disciplined and actually do it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough!!, November 5, 2013
This is a nice book if you take it seriously. However, I would not go running to the art supply store to buy all the things they tell you to buy to start. I would suggest you begin with what you have at home and see if you get connected to the book and the explanation. it has really nice prompts and allows you to be free with no judgement on what you draw - although my kids were pretty judgemental "mom, that really does not look like a glass!!". Like all these books, it only works if you are committed to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but not as inspiring as I had hoped., August 16, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Creativity Jump-Starter, January 24, 2012
TooBad41 (Georgetown, Texas) - See all my reviews
I really liked this book because of it's sketch a day format. I have done a number of drawings, paintings and sketches through the years and this book has jump-started my desire to continue my art work. Even those of us who have put in years in our art work, we sometimes need motivation. This small book does that and more. Thank you Veronica for getting your artist friends together to have a book like this published. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Creative Art Source, April 9, 2013
I am a beginning and I do mean beginning artist. I was so intimidated until I read and looked at this book. I discovered art is all about what makes me feel good and motivated. My work does not look like the Mona Lisa and this book taught me that it does not matter. It has introduced me to some great new mediums to work in and I have followed the examples and gotten great ideas. This is one of my favorite art books. I love it...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›