5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that doesn't drive parents nuts
The thing I like most about this book is it survives the perpetual-reading test, that is, neither my daughter nor I am tired of reading it after two years.
Published on June 22, 2000 by Jim Carson

3.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the book. Three stars for this edition.
The book's content will always be wonderful, but this reprint--the physical book (1988)--is a disappointment. It's smaller than the edition I grew up with; smaller than the ones my kids had.

Published on July 3, 2011 by hako

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that doesn't drive parents nuts, June 22, 2000
This review is from: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself) (Hardcover)
"One Fish..." is really composed of several "short" sections that can be read in any order, so for a toddler, it's perfectly fine to skip around. In fact, this is conducive to a toddler's randomness - one day it's "Hop hop hop, I am a Yop"; another day it's "From there to here."

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter's Favorite Book by Dr. Seuss, August 27, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish was her pick as the best of the books by Dr. Seuss.
One of the appeals of this book is that it is relatively easy to learn to read, yet has much more variety than most other early readers. So your child will feel like she or he has accomplished a lot with reading this book, which is correct.
The title gives the key to why this book works well as an early reader. One word is changed at a time, with a clear illustration next to it. Most children will read the illustrations like a rebus and later associate the words with the sounds of the name for the pictures. At some point, they begin reading from the words. Very nice!
Here's another sequence: "black fish blue fish old fish new fish."
Then, when he moves on, he uses simple rhymes: "This one has a little star. This one has a little car."
Next, he progresses to substituting "some" for "fish" and adding a single verb to make a sentence as in "Some are read . . . . Some are old."
So almost any child can soon begin to read along with few errors in the first 2 or 3 pages. Whenever the child can go no more, you can just keep going. With repetition, more of the book becomes memorized and the process continues.
There is another reward for you and your child: The book also previews many of the wonderful characters and rhyming schemes that appear in other Dr. Seuss books. As a result, it will be easier to get started reading those books. You will feel like you are seeing an old friend again.
You can also use each rhyme to take off on your own speculations. Our daughter used to love to come up with alternative rhymes that fit the pictures.
Books like this one make it great fun to be either a parent or a child. In some cases, this book will be there for you in both roles over 20 to 40 years!
Overcome your mistaken beliefs about how children can start to learn to read by seeing your child start naturally by associating the words with the pictures as you read this wonderful book to him or her!

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest book ever written by anybody ever., September 24, 2000
Allright ya little PUNKS. You go read your Tom Clancys and your sappy Danielle Steel romance novels and your "Bridges of Madison County"s and we can even go back time to your Mark Twains and your "Catcher In The Rye"s, you go read ALL of that. Then read THIS book, and YOU tell me which one is better. Because NONE of that can match the emotional intensity of reading to your kids at bedtime: "Once there was a little Nook. On his hat he had a hook. On his hook he had a book. On his book was "How to Cook". But a Nook can't read and a Nook can't cook, so what good to a Nook is a hook cook book?" AWESOME!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 6 Month Old Loves This Book!, November 9, 1999
By A Customer
After reading this book to my 6 month old, I'm convinced it's never too early to read to a child. She recognizes those wonder rhyming patterns and squeals in delight.

3.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the book. Three stars for this edition., July 3, 2011

The picture shown is deceiving This edition has a big red jagged permanent thing just under the "blue fish" of the title, nearly as long as the title words "red fish" and as wide as the space between "red fish" and "blue fish". In the red splotch it says, in white, "Look inside if you wish for a FREE gift!" Boo! Yuck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for babies, July 28, 2001
By A Customer
I grew up with this book and now my nine month old loves it too. the text is very rhythmic, as you would expect from Dr. Seuss. The illustrations are composed of heavy black lines and bright solid colors, making it easy for an infant to see. The text is arranged creatively around the page, adding to the visual interest and also helping the beginning reader to relate the pictures to the words. As a biologist, I interpret the central theme of the book as playing off biological diversity (Some have two feet and some have four. Some have six feet and some have more . . .), and expanding the idea to include the diversity of people and human pursuits. The fitness craze, furniture design, and silly kitchen gadgets are all covered in the brief and funny vignettes. The one limitation of the book is that there are some stereotypical differences between the interests of the boy and girl, and it is somewhat lacking in ethnic diversity. But hey, it was written in 1960. It also would be great if it had a board book edition, since it is hard to keep the little guy from crinkling the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, October 8, 2004
Don't skip this one, please. You just have to have these tongue-twister books to read to your child. It's a blast to read fast too. My little one keeps saying, "faster, faster mommy!" Good thing I can speed read! It's a fabulous book and one that every child should own. It inspires tons of imagination and fun and really makes reading exciting for little ones. It's weird to run into someone as an adult who hasn't read these classic Seuss books. It makes you feel sorry for them and wonder what other great things of childhood they've missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU WISH TO WISH A WISH, February 2, 2001
At least two generations of parents and their children have now been immersed in the wonderful world of Dr Suess. The fun filled fantasy world of Dr Suess has lost none of its charm. "One Fish Two Fish" is one of his best.
The theme of this book is "funny things are everywhere". Dr Suess goes on to prove this by introducing a long list of fantastic but friendly characters. The creatures are at times outrageous looking but they are never frightening. There is no chance of monster-phobia developing in children after reading these books.
Anything is possible in this book. You have to love the seven hump Wump with its eight legs. It bears an uncanny resemblance to a camel.
Children will get to love the rhyme and rhythms of the words in this book. Children will be encouraged to make their own word play. It is possible new skills in creative thinking and even musical aptitude may emerge in children after having fun in the Suess world. On thing is for sure, a love of reading will certainly be encouraged.
Spatial thinking is encouraged with humorous signposts to Near and Far, and Here and There. Young minds will adore taking the advice "if you wish to wish a wish".
"One fish two fish" makes a great bedtime book. It is long enough and exhausting enough to pacify the most agile young mind. They can go off to dream land pondering "did you ever fly a kite in bed" and then "curl up with your Pet Zeep".

4.0 out of 5 stars A review of the Vinyl Bath Book edition only!, July 7, 2006
Since my 7-month-old still thinks books are for putting in your mouth, I've been buying him bath books. I bought this one sight unseen from Amazon, and as much as I love the classic "One Fish, Two Fish," I was a little disappointed. First, the book is small, even for a bath book (about 4x6 inches -- the "8.3 x 4.8" dimensions in the Amazon description are just plain WRONG). Second, the book was shorter than I expected. It consists only of the first 8 pages of the original "One Fish." Of course, the baby doesn't know how abridged the book is, so he enjoys it. And the colors are bright, the printing is sharp, and the overall package is high-quality and holds up to lots of handling. But there's not much there to read to him.

Overall, if you're looking for a durable "One Fish" edition that's good for mealtimes, or bath time, or for taking in the stroller, this is an excellent buy. Just be aware that it's no substitute for the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought if for the nephew but I might keep it, May 26, 2003
Colonel Jenna (Overland Park, Kansas USA) - See all my reviews
The copy I had as a child wore out when I was in college (A friend borrowed it to memorize and perform as an acting class assignment.) I have part of the book memorized myself just from having my Mom read it to me 37 years ago. Having just aquired a 5-year old nephew I had of course to buy him several of my favorite Dr. Seuss books and this was one of them. I may have to buy my own copy though. In fact, I may buy two because I am extremely tempted to frame my favorite piece, "Look what we found in the dark in the park. We will take it home. We will name it Clark."
I have no clue whatsoever how young a child can safely be shown the wonderful but really wierd illustrations of Dr. Seuss. I'm still scared of Flying Monkeys but never had a problem with Dr. Seuss at all.

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (I Can Read It All by Myself)
$8.99 $6.00