on March 25, 2006
Verified Purchase
This remote has a lot of capability for the price. When building my home theater I was looking for a remote that could handle my TV, A/V receiver, VCR/DVD combo, Cable box/DVR combo. This remote was much cheaper than the Harmony (would have loved one of those) and could handle these devices as well as others. I am still tweaking the macro's but I am off to a good start.

Pros: Works with combo devices, macro and learning capability, price

Cons: Still have to use individual device's remotes to perform certain functions (maybe i just need more practice)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2006
This is a wonderful remote that you can get to function exactly as you want it to. It learns any key you want and if a device isn't in the codes, the company will search for a code or capture the code from the original remote.

I bought a harmony remote and this one shortly after. The harmony had to be tweeked several times and never quite worked all the components right. Also the company monitors and saves all your information. The Harmony's buttons at first were hyper sensitive then they wouldn't respond at all. I had to replace the harmony (under warranty) because the screen went out. The second, although the screen hasn't gone out, has the same problems, it turns off my TV when I try to switch from DVD to TiVo yet it doesn't the other way (makes no sense), to be fair my TV wasn't in the data base so I still had to use the original remote and point it at the harmony to set it up. It constantly got the inputs wrong, I tried several different methods, all but call the company (I hear they have great customer support), but finally I would change the inputs manually. It doesn't give you that choice at first. It was a lot of computer to TV- computer to TV time. This remote, the One for All, is so much better.

The One 4 All remotes are cheaper and the same quality if not better (no screen to go out) than the hamony. All for Ones customer support will search for new codes and capture your code if they can't find it to upgrade immediately.

With the harmony you didn't have the option of picking one of the seldomly used keys and reassigning a function that I use frequently (zoom of the TV or Live TV for Tivo) they decide for you which functions are the frequent and main keys and which you will have to scroll for. On my remote it was the Live TV and the input for SV I used frequently so on the ONE 4 ALL I could assign any key I wanted to do that function.

You can program any key you want to do what you want. You want to control the fan in the room, the space heater or a/c, whatever has a remote as long as it isn't Radio Frequency, most are remotes are IR. If you want RF also you can get the One for All URC 9910 and then you can send signals through the walls and change the channels from other rooms in the house. Want your Tivo to control two different TV in different rooms of your house, its RF to IR converter would do that. Personally I only need the IR remote part so this remote, here at amazon under $20 today, is the best. The One for All Learning Upgradeble Remotes 6 Device, 8 Device and 10 has literally taken the place of all of my old remotes. I use ONE remote for all the devices in my house with remotes. I have bought extra remotes of this brand to have at my couch, my bedroom, my computer. I have bought these remotes as presents for family at this point.

They are great remotes.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 2007
Verified Purchase
I have a Olevia 542i TV and Polaroid DRM-2001G PVR. A few of the buttons refused to accept programming. A couple of button could only be programmed when they were the first ones to get programmed in a session, i.e. if I want to program (memorize) five buttons, I have to do the problem one first. Maybe something's wrong with my sample...but I didn't want to put more time in it than I already did so didn't bother trying to get it replaced.

I chose this model over the 8 Device model (URC8820 ?) because it has a few extra buttons. In hind sight the 8 Device would have been better because it's a more convenient size, and it takes two AA batteries instead of four AAA.

I lived with it for a while until a good deal came up for a Harmony 659 at $50. The Harmony is not for everyone, and it did take hours to tweak it just right, but it's what I needed for my setup.
on September 7, 2009
Verified Purchase
I tried 4 remotes (Sony, Philips, and others) from local department stores ranging from $10 to $40 before buying this one. I returned all the others; I am not going to return the URC. It is the only remote that was able to control a Yamaha DSP-E300 almost 100% (it controls all the important functions but cannot change the preset values of room size delays). Of course in order to do this I had to use 2 device-buttons on the remote and assign some devices to other buttons but that's OK. I would have to buy a fancy remote at $90 or above to control my 15-year old Yamaha DSP or buy a new amplifier. For the low price I paid for the URC10820 I am 100% satisfied. This one controls the HD box, the TV, the DVD players, the Yamaha tuner preset frequencies and maybe I can make it operate the LCD projector. The manual is simple and easy to follow if you have decent brain power. It contains way more device codes than all the other remotes I tried. Past expereince with ALL-FOR-ONE remotes (like the AV Producer) shows that they work fine for a long time and this is what I expect from this one. It features no fancy screens and no USB connectivity but does offer a JP1 connector for those that know how to use it. It can control a lot of newer and very old devices for less than $20 and it's neither heavy, nor huge. It's a "learning" remote as well but I have no plans to use this function. Can you do that with the fancy modern remotes for less than 20?
on September 30, 2009
Verified Purchase
I purchased a URC-10820 OneForAll remote control from Amazon. It came as model 10820B00, does everything it is supposed to do. However, it misses a few latest devices such as Vizio LCD TV and Lite-On DVD Recorder. I got an RMA from OneForAll allowing me to send the device back for upgrade. In the meantime, because of the nice quality and the superb learning cability of this device, I ordered another one from Amazon to use it in our second home. It came today and the model is 10820N. Upon examining closely this new unit is capable of controlling many new devices missing on the B00 model, including the ones that I am interested but missing on model B00. What a pleasant surprise!

This brings me to the point that our merchant, Amazon.com, apparently does not always show or know which model might be actually delivered after one ordered it. My advice is that you may sometimes want to try to clarify these fine details with your merchants. Electronic devices today are rapidly upgraded through new models. It is good; but it takes some effort to take advantage of it. This time, I learnt strictly by chance.
on January 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
I recently purchased this universal remote to try to avoid the seemingly endless pile of remotes I have with my current set up. Nearly every electronic component comes with it's own remote and frankly, most of the keys on them are useless but there they sit on your coffee table taking up space. As always, Amazon shipped the item well packaged and it arrived earlier than expected.

The instruction manual is well written with a few examples of common set ups. The list of codes is quite large so most will be able to find their components without too much of an issue. I programmed my dish network remote, TV remote, DVD remote and DVR remote without incident and within about fifteen minutes. The guide and info buttons for the satellite work fine as do the basic TV functions. I also programmed the learning keys to operate certain items for the TV and DVD features. Programming the learning keys was almost as easy as programming the initial set up, you just have to press a few more buttons and of course, your original remote has to be in functioning order. I have not tried the macro buttons as of yet.

The remote works flawlessly though I wish some of the buttons were laid out a little differently...most noticeably the "input" button should be larger and located at the top of the remote but that is just my personal preference. Instead, it's kind of tucked away at the bottom so you have to look for it and it's used constantly. Also, this thing is huge and bordering on bulky...you'll definitely notice if it's stuck in the couch cushions. So that could be a plus or minus, depending on how you look at it. The remote itself is not exactly state of the art though it's decent to look at and once you pop in the batteries (4 AA: not included so make sure you have them on hand), it feels a bit more solid. The buttons are small so I wouldn't recommend for anyone that can't see small writing well. There is no subtitle button on the remote however you can program this as a learning key function if need be. There is no back light or lighted keys so if you like to watch movies in the dark, you'll need to learn the layout, though the basic DVD keys are arranged well and located at the top.

For the price, you can't go wrong. Yes, there are higher end and much higher priced remotes out there that will operate your home theater and make you coffee at the same time (or at least they should for the price) but I really don't need a glowing screen and some battery gobbling toy that probably costs more than my DVD player did. For ease of use, functionality and of course the low price, I am quite pleased with this remote and would recommend it to anyone looking to simplify things and clear off their coffee table.
on July 8, 2009
Verified Purchase
This remote has proven itself to have been worth the investment, and has surpassed the other remotes I've owned in the past. Rather than write a lengthy multi-paragraph review, let me just say this: If you need a new remote, and you've got lots of somewhat esoteric devices to control, get this one. It will probably do the job well enough.

Pros:

* It has enough built-in codes to handle *everything* in my house than can take a normal remote control. For the benefit of those who run across this while searching, it even handled most functions in my Toshiba TLP-T500 projector, without the need for programming.
* From the standpoint of specific types of devices, if you can name it, this thing can probably control it out-of-the-box, even if there isn't a dedicated button on the remote for it.
* Like other OfA Universal remotes, just about all of the buttons on this one can be re-programmed, re-assigned, or overridden entirely (using the learning function).
* In that vein, it has plenty of working code/program/learning memory - this one gracefully handled everything I've thrown at it, and I suspect it still has memory to spare. My previous remote, a URC8810, couldn't come close - it ran out of memory after only a couple dozen programmed functions.
* It is confortable to use - it is not too big to become unwieldy, and not so small that the buttons become difficult to press.
* Inexpensive. Mine cost about $22 including shipping.
* It has a handful of "special function" buttons that every other remote always seemed to leave out, like Subtitles/Closed-Caption control, Input Select, Picture Format, etc., and they work properly out of the box.

Cons:

* No backlighted keys, just regular, solid buttons as found on less capable remotes.
* No visible indication of what mode it is in (TV, DVD, Aux1...)
* This remote lacks dedicated "frame advance/reverse" and "Open/Close" buttons. Not a dealbreaker, as these features can be programmed into other buttins (e.g. L1-L3).
* Like other remotes, the selection of dedicated device buttons is a mixed blessing. My setup would have been better served, for example, with two each of the existing "TV" and "DVD" buttons, along with about 6 to 8 "AUX" buttons, placed to allow one to mentally divide them into two groups (i.e. for two rooms).
on August 18, 2010
Verified Purchase
I've been using this remote for 2-3 months and so far am satisfied. It works well with my Tivo, Toshiba LCD TV, Toshiba DVD player, and FIOS cable box. It does not work with my Samsung Blu Ray player. I also tried to use this with a Dish Network box and it would not work.

Overall, it's great to have a reliable, functional universal remote and this does the job well. It's not as full-featured as many other choices, but it works as advertised and sometimes that's enough. I do have a few complaints, but they are minor:
- It's huge - almost comically large. Not very comfortable to hold and operate with one hand.
- No backlight at all - this would be such a huge improvement.

Solid choice if you need one remote to control many devices. I use it for 4 and still have the option of adding 4 or 5 more devices. Just keep in mind that if you have Dish or Blu Ray, this may not work for those boxes.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2010
We bought this remote when we got a DVR service from the cable company and ended up with 3 remotes. It works for our Onyko Receiver (difficult to find a remote that accepts the right code), Samsung TV, and Charter DVR Cable. I like the learning feature since our DVR/cable needs "A", "B", and "C" to work. So, I programmed Vol Up to be "A", Vol Down to be "B" and Mute to be "C" when you're in Cable mode. (Aux is our audio receiver so Vol and Mute work as intended in Aux mode.) I also programmed two buttons meant for Picture in Picture to be "Page up" and "Page down" in Cable mode because PIP didn't work at all with this remote even in Cable mode. So, that's my only complaint. I got everything to work but PIP, and that might be due to not having the correct code for our cable box. I looked high and low for other codes, but gave up. I don't want to blame the remote for that, though.

Overall, easy to program. If you use the learning feature so you can program buttons to mimic features of your old remote, be SURE to do it essentially in the dark with just enough light to see what you're doing. Ambient light keeps it from "taking.

Oh, one other thing it doesn't do is our audio receiver feature of "Zone 2" because that's more of a power button on our current remote (turning zone 2 on and off), and it can't learn a feature like that.

But, overall, I recommend it. We occasionally use the old one to turn Zone 2 on and off, but other than that, only one remote is floating around the living room. :)
on December 31, 2010
Verified Purchase
I found the directions to be very simple. And the remote is easy to use. Had it up and running in less than 5 minutes. It worked with my old TV/VCR combo and the DTV box.