Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$12.99

on January 27, 2012
As a fan of the books, I was not expecting very much. You know how it is. Someone in Hollywood reads maybe a chapter and half and then goes to town and puts a ton of their own ideas in, changes names and does a real hack job on the book we all know and loved. This DID NOT happen here at all. The movie exceeded my expectations in every possible way.

The basic plot is that Stephanie Plum of Trenton New Jersey has recently (okay---six months ago) lost her job, has a bunch of bills and rent to pay and needs some fast cash. She blackmails her cousin Vinnie into giving her a job at his bail bonds business as a recovery agent (okay---bounty hunter). He'd prefer to just assign her the easier stuff (naked flasher ftas) but she wants to go after the big money, trenton cop, Joe Morelli, with whom Stephanie has shared some intimate moments (okay---one intimate moment)in the past.

I'm not going to spoil too much with this review, I'm just going to address the things that I would have wanted to know before going to see this film.

First, I was not very happy when Katherine Heigl was cast as Stephanie. I like her, but I don't think she is much of an actress. She was a great Izzie Stevens, but since then she has mostly played Izzie Stevens. But, surprisingly, she was goooood in this! She played Stephanie perfectly, and I will probably have more respect for her as an actress in the future. Stephanie herself grows up a little through the film. She becomes more assertive and she tries so hard and she remains cheerful no matter what sort of bad things happen to her. I don't think we could have recieved a better cinematic treatment of our favorite bounty hunter.

The other characters are great as well. I felt Grandma Mazur was a little too lady-like, I wish she'd been in her track suit, and had seemed a little more Grandma Mazurish, but I hope there will be a sequel or six and we will get to see her develop more. Morelli and Ranger are exactly what I hoped for. Vinnie and Connie and Lula were pretty good as well. You'll see Connie and recognize her instantly---she's entirely faithful to Janet's depiction. And yes, the man who plays Vinnie does sort of look like a weasel.

The only tiny gripe I have was that Ramierz seemed a little too sane in the movie. I understand that having that subplot in there would have probably extended the movie by at least twenty minutes, but I was so looking forward to him whispering about himself in 3rd person...and he seemed smarter in the movie, being more involved in the Jimmy Alpha operation. And of course, I wanted more Lula, but the writers were very faithful to the book and Lula was not in the first book very much. You can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess.

The last thing I have to say is that the people who wrote the script obviously spent a lot of time reading the books and there were plently of details in there that a fan will recognize and appreciate. As Stephanie scrolls through her phone, we see the number for Pino's Pizza, Rex is in her kitchen always running on his wheel, Lula says she'll talk more if Stephanie brings her a snack, Lula tells Jackie it's hot and she's hungry (always), Ranger and Morelli refer to Stephanie as "Babe" and "Cupcake," respectively, and there are a lot of other little details that I can't remember just now, but which helped the movie to have the feel of the books. I love it so much when a movie is adapted this well. I cannot wait to see this again, and I really hope there are is a sequel which remains as true to the series as this one. I cannot say enough good things about this movie! Go and see it soon, it will not dissapoint you.
77 comments|260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
Okay, so the casting doesn't meet your expectations. How can it? We all picture someone different in the roles. I wanted a sexier Ranger, a fatter Lula, a Danny DaVito for Vinny, and an Estelle Getty for Grandma Mazur. But all in all it was very enjoyable. I read a reviewer who said that Rex didn't seem to like Stephanie. Really? That's your review? The movie followed the book, the actors did a great job,and all Janet E fans will love this movie. Not every story has to have a tough modern woman as the lead. Morelli's last scene at Stef's front door put a smile on my face. Enjoy it for what it is.
55 comments|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2012
I really enjoyed the book One for the Money (Movie Tie-in) (Stephanie Plum Novels) when it first came out. I grew up in New Jersey and knew a few blue collar types like those in the book. The only bit I really missed in the movie was Grandma's hanging out at the neighborhood mortuary so she could attend the viewings. As I recall she didn't care if she actually knew the person being viewed.

I think Katherine Heigl got the character of Stephanie Plum just about perfectly.

This could be a great HBO or FX series with the right cast and writers! I'm looking forward to something just as inventive!
on December 29, 2012
Really this is a 2.5 for me. But Katherine Heigl is mis-cast as Stephanie Plum. She's just not brazen enough. I saw no chemistry between her and Jason O'Mara(Joe Morelli)& even less with the correctly cast & enjoyable Daniel Sunjata (Ranger). Where's the FUN??!! This was slow, boring & oddly disjointed. Yeah it's watchable ....if you don;t have anything better to do like read the book. I had read the reviews so I was ready to be disappointed & sometimes casting that I think will be horrible turns out to work or not matter to the movie but in this case Heigl -who I have enjoyed in other roles and movies- is just wrong for this part. The supporting actors from her family members to her cousin/employer are good and almost carry the movie in spite of Heigl's lackluster performance. Too bad they didn;t take a chance on a newer more unknown actress who could then carry the series forward in future movies. If they do make a second Plum movie they should really re-cast her part. I don;'t regret watching this movie -- it has some good moments -- more towards the end when Heigl seems to get a handle on her character-but I do regret that it could have been SO much better.
on May 20, 2012
I read lots of reviews, and hesitated to watch it, based on most of what I read. I did, however, adjust my expectations, and went into it without hoping for much. I can say, I wasn't disappointed. I like Katherine Heigl. She's quirky and fun, and I think she did right by this role. Ranger and Joe were perfectly cast, as well. And I LOVE the grandma - yes, she's a little crazier in the books, but I love that lady, nonetheless. All in all, don't listen to the critics. They're biased, and they always say the same thing: "formulaic romance...yada, yada, yada." They just don't know how to enjoy some fluff and some filler here and there. I enjoyed this movie. It was cute. And the chemistry between Heigl and O'Mara was spot-on. I rented it, as I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, and while I might not buy it, I WILL watch it again if it is released for streaming on Netflix, AND if they make sequels, like I hope they will.
on February 9, 2012
I was given the first two books to read in March of 2011. I proceeded to read the other 14 books in 11 days. Then of course I had to wait until June and November to get books 17 & 18. But as soon as I got thru the books I was in love with them. I describe them as comedy crime. When I found out they were making a movie I couldn't have been more pleased. The cast was perfect for the movie. I saw it 4 times in theaters and can't wait for the DVD to come out. I hope that all the other PLUM Fans out there loved the movie. IT really did justice to the book, only modifiying a few things here and there. I hope that more movies are in the furture!
on May 23, 2012
I thought it was a great movie. Katherine Heigl does a great job, cute & fun, yet plenty of mystery and intensity! I wanted to write this review as coming from someone unfamiliar with the books. All the reviews I read before watching this were from people that had read the books and were basing there reviews off of there comparison of the book and the movie. Having nothing to compare it against, I have no complaints about the male actors they chose, which some reviewers seemed disappointed with. I thought they were great!

However, I do disagree with the Amazon's statement describing the movie that it's a film "great for the whole family". Katherine's character at one point is completely naked trying to cover her breasts with her arm similar to how Sandra Bullock does in "The Proposal". Except Katherine has a lot more breast to cover, or not be covered. A little too much skin and breast showing to be comfortable having my kids watch it:(
on July 9, 2012
As someone who loves the books, I was excited to see the movie. The trailer was funny. But the movie itself just kind of limps with editing that misses the comedy and music that's just a bit on the nose. Katherine Heigl is actually well cast as Stephanie Plum. She does her bit well, but she doesn't have much to work with. The rest of the characters are two-dimensional, and played that way. I don't necessarily blame the actors, they've all done good work in other movies. It's just that the film never catches its rhythm. Still, if you enjoyed the books or are a Heigl fan, this movie might be worth ordering.
on May 20, 2012
I've only read a few of the books, so I'm maybe not the best judge of how well this was pulled off. That said, Katherine Heigl surprised me by playing someone a lot more like Stephanie Plum than like the other characters Heigl has played. I enjoyed watching her character (Stephanie) grow and become steadily more competent (if still unsure) in her new role as a recovery agent. For those who haven't read the books, the main culprit may be a surprise because of the way things were played.

All in all, I enjoyed it enough that, if there were a sequel, I'd watch it.
on April 11, 2012
I've been a Stephanie Plum fan for years and DREAM of having a Ranger in my life, but not the Ranger of this movie. He lacks sex appeal and the Hispanic Scare of the books. Ranger is described with a tight ass and a pony tail. The movie has no pony tail. "Babe" is a paragraph that leaves the reader panting for a bedroom with satin sheets. This Babe is an address for a man who cannot remember her name.
Will buy the movie for Janet not for the Stephanie/Ranger/Morelli triangle.