Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: One Good Deed: 365 Days of Trying to Be Just a Little Bit Better
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 4, 2012
I totally agree with the prior reviewer, F. Barry. Without being preachy, this book inspired me, as I expect it will other readers. Can the actions of one person make the world a better place? For sure, you'll say, after reading this book. Thank you, Erin McHugh, for writing this special book.
If you want to get a great start and change your life for the better, then you will have to read, One Good Dead by Erin McHugh! After reading this book, it left me inspired to just get out there and help. Just like Erin, I myself have done a lot of community service both where I live and also online volunteer. The way she writes makes everyday special and wants you to get up and do good things everyday! I love reading books like these because they can teach others how to just go with their instincts. There are many out there that feel that they don't have the time to help and do good for the common man. I think that every year is a opportunity to show people what the human race is truly capable of, love and compassion. We can be kind and gentle. Erin's book, One Good Deed is inspirational, courageous, and beautiful. Follow each day with her and you too will be on the path of good deeds with a better person inside of you.
on July 31, 2013
I love this little book. It's lighthearted, written in a free and easy manner, and is very down-to-earth. You have to get passed the dates at the top of each entry, because she started her book on July 29 and most people(?) start reading a 365-day book on January 1. Don't they?? This book hasn't necessarily helped me be a better person, but the daily smile is worth something.
on January 9, 2013
I purchased this book thinking that it would give me ideas/guide of good deeds to do each day. I was pleasantly surprised that it was about the author's journey of 365 days of good deeds. It was refreshingly real. Some days the good deeds were little, some days huge, and some days non existant. This is a real person just trying to be better. Loved it!!!
on January 27, 2014
I love the idea behind this book, and was so excited to read it. I really wanted to like it, but her idea of "good deeds" are completely preposterous. Smiling at someone is a good deed? Come on. I had expected this book to be so inspiring, but really, I kept thinking about how self-centered the author was and how much I disliked her. Don't waste your money.
VINE VOICEon November 5, 2012
The devastation of Hurricane Sandy makes One Good Deed a most timely book. I live in NYC, and for the last week have seen not only the worst that Mother Nature can do, but also the best that human nature can be; and being a better human being is what this book is all about.

Erin McHugh chronicles her 365 day journey to be "a little kinder, a little more helpful, a little more thoughtful" by doing one good deed a day. The deeds don't have to be big, they can be as simple as bringing a friend flowers to cheer her up, buying a co-worker a soda, or purchasing the ugliest cupcake at the church holiday fair. McHugh relates a story about one good deed multiplying: she purchased several boxes of Girl Scout cookies from a persistent young lady, and then donated a few boxes back to the Girl Scouts who arranged for them to be donated to a feeding program. She received a note from the troop leader describing a homeless veteran who was so happy to receive Girl Scout cookies because it reminded him of being a kid again, and he said that "it was the first time in a long time I felt like a person again." It brought tears to my eyes.

McHugh writes with such humanity about her journey, but this book is never preachy. I found it funny, moving, inspiring and thought-provoking. Her tone is conversational, and you feel like you are reading a friend's journal. And as someone who worked in retail for many years, I related to one of her good deeds, when she didn't lose her cool with a rude customer. Been there, done that, and I applauded her self-control.

As I watch people dropping their own lives and volunteering to help feed and clothe hurricane victims and clean up the mess left behind by Hurricane Sandy, I can't help but feel that One Good Deed came around at the perfect time. After reading this, you feel that doing something small and simple can help someone else have a better day, and with many people gathering together to do good deeds together, we can make a huge difference.

One Good Deed is a book that I will be giving many people this year for Christmas because it inspired me to look at the people around me a little more closely with a little more care, and I think it will inspire others to do the same. Wouldn't it be great if all the people who read Fifty Shades of Grey read One Good Deed next? Just think how we could change the world.
on March 29, 2013
One Good Deed is a book that inspires one to do better. Any book that makes me want to do a little better each day, to be a little kinder, a little more thoughtful and considerate of others is a great book in my way of thinking. I think to many of us fail to realize that it is truly the little things that make a difference.
on September 17, 2013
I like the idea of this book but I sure wouldn't count not getting mad and spouting off as a good deed! Many of her good deeds are just what most people would do normally and not consider they'd done "a good deed." After a while it just becomes boring. Sorry, this is my first negative review, but I'm sure glad I borrowed this book instead of buying it.
on January 8, 2013
I was so excited to read this book. I'd seen many reviews online and in magazines and actually waited for the book to be released . . . I wish I could say that I love it, because I love the idea. But something, for me, was missing in the execution. The quality of writing didn't impress me and there was no thread to carry me throughout the book. I also found many of the entries to have a negative quality to them.
Obviously others found this book to be excellent, but it just didn't do it for me.
on November 8, 2012
We all need to do this more often!It is often the little things that make such a difference when you are having a bad day or a rough time. You take away much more than you could ever give. It take just as much effort to be mean or indifferent as it does to be nice, so why not?