5.0 out of 5 stars ADORABLE
Published on January 9, 2011 by Brenda

3.0 out of 5 stars A great springboard
Max Lucado's One Hand, Two Hands engages tiny children, say, up to age 4 or 5. The children will be counting their fingers, clapping their hands, squeezing, flopping, waving, and all sorts of fun activities for those youngsters. We read this to our kids and they like to actively follow along.

But the kicker for this book is toward the end where the kids are...
Published on September 8, 2010 by Eddie Gonzalez

3.0 out of 5 stars A great springboard, September 8, 2010
This review is from: One Hand, Two Hands (Hardcover)

But the kicker for this book is toward the end where the kids are encouraged to help others with their hands, to use them for doing things around the house, and to encourage them to be creative and think about other ways they can use their hands to be helpful.

It's a good, simple book with fun illustrations. There is a very helpful focus that any parent could use. We think this book would server better as a board book as opposed to the 10' x 9' nice hardcover it is now. It will last longer. My kids kept wanting to flip through the pages, using their hands of course as encourage. That tends to shorten the life of books, if you know what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADORABLE, January 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My three-year-old grandson ate this book up... (not literally). He discovered it in my bag, pulled it out, looked at the cover and ran for the couch to explore.... He took it in bit by bit... He looked at each page and picture. He smiled all the way through... I think he really enjoyed the gentle colors and fun characters - especially the rabbits in the baseball outfits. Then I read the rhyming story outloud. He loves rhyming... We also explored our hands and what they can do. One Hand, Two Hands is a delightful book that doubles as a simple learning tool. Your children will look at their hands a new light after reading One Hand, Two Hands.

3.0 out of 5 stars "One Hand, Two Hands" How can you use your hands?, September 3, 2010
This review is from: One Hand, Two Hands (Hardcover)
"One Hand, Two Hands" is written by well known author Max Lucado for children. The book describes ways little ones use their hands every day, and ways those hands can help others too.
This is a large book, which is nice as the book's best feature is its illustrations. Gaby Hansen's illustrations are gorgeous! They are cheery and colorful, sweet and very detailed. My son and I just sat and looked at the pictures on each page for several minutes. It was more fun to make up a little story with the pictures. Each time you read the book, you will find something new in the illustrations you didn't notice before.

"One Hand, Two Hands" is written in rhyming pattern. I thought some of the lines were odd and threw off the rhythm, like "Pick flowers, they smell sweet. Squish cheese, they smell stinky. Ooey. Pooey. Right down to your pinky." The writing is average, you won't find anything outstanding here.

There is a section at the end of the book listing ways children can use their hands to show kindness, love and to help others. We enjoyed that section better than the story in the book. "My helping hands can... feed my pets. My hands are gentle and kind when I... draw a get-well card for a sick person. My hands show love when I... clap for someone else." Several examples are listed for each section and again there are sweet illustrations.

There is a book plate page where you can fill in information if you were giving this as a gift.

Overall, I just didn't feel the story was as impressive as the illustrations.

(Thank you to Thomas Nelson for providing me a copy of this book to read and review. I'm a member of Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze program.)

5.0 out of 5 stars With cute illustrations and rhyming text this is a great read aloud book for small children ages 2+., June 23, 2014
One Hand, Two Hands by Max Lucado is about all the wonderful things our hands can do. With cute illustrations and rhyming text this is a great read aloud book for small children ages 2+. From making messes to helping others, digging in the dirt to petting a puppy our hands can do many things.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Source: Won in a giveaway

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant book for kids, October 19, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is very pleasant to read with the kids (ages 4-5). It is a great tool to open up more discussion about how kids can be more helpful.

1. The book's main theme is teaching our children to be helpful by using their two hands. Instead of just using their hands for play and fun (1st part of the book), they could be used to help and encourage others (2nd half of the book).
2. The illustration is beautiful, charming, and appeals to the kids! It has drawings of bear, birds, dogs, cats, and other cute animals.
3. The hardcover is strong and tight. And the binding is stitched instead of glued, and the pages are strong and not too thick.

All in all, it is a charming book for kids. Recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a 2 to 3 year old but not 4 to 8, February 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I believe the only reason that may list as 4 to 8 is because a beginning reader could read the book. Is it really entertaining for younger because you can interact with you kids as you read the book. The book uses rhyming but not well at times. The illustrations are good and younger kids will enjoy looking at them,which somewhat saves the book. If I saw this book on the shelf and flipped through the pages, I would buy it. However; if I sat down and read it I would have put it back the shelf. The book is just average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book with wonderful illustrations!, December 13, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 5 year old cannot get enough of this story. She loves to recite it as I read it. The illustrations are beautiful.

The religious aspect is a nice touch, but is not "in your face" or overpowering for a young child. After we read it before bed, my daughter wants to pray.

This is a nice book for young children and children learning to read. The print is large, and it has a nice rhyme to it.

I will be purchasing this as part of baby shower gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet book and not overly religious, December 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was a bit concerned about getting this book after reading the description, worried that it would be overly religious. However, I think the message is an important one, so took the chance. My two year old sure can use a reminder of what his hands are for--we are constantly reinforcing gentle, helpful touch, and it is nice to have a book that does the same.
The only mention of religion is on the last page, which says your hands can be used to pray to god. No other mention or references. This was generic enough for us and I'm glad we got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give A Hand, December 6, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Max Lucado is a minister and may be best known for his religious works for adults. However, he has also written many books for children which manage to blend a high interest story with the basic tenets of faith. "One Hand, Two Hands" is a perfect example of that combination, using a story to teach children who they can help others.

The story follows a little girl who imagines that her stuffed animals have become real, through a series of activities that demonstrate exactly what we can do with our hands. In short, rhyming stanzas, Lucado shows children that their hands can do simple things like comb hair, clap, and hold cups, but also wipe tears, write letters, and give hugs. The accompanying illustrations by Gaby Hansen are sweet and funny, as the main character learns how hands can get stinky and dirty and clean. The book concludes with a prayer of thanks for all that hands can do and lists of ways that hands can be helping, kind, and loving.

"One Hand, Two Hands" is a fun and engaging children's book. Its message is simple and joyfully told. Children are sure to be delighted by the illustrations and catchy rhymes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Simple, Children's Book, December 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One Hand, Two Hands is a quality children's book that engages young ones to use their hands to help others. Its a basic book designed to have children listen and play along with their hands. Most readers will recognize a fun Dr. Seuss sort of rhyme to the book. Although its by popular Christian author Max Lucado, the Christian message is very subtle and it would be appropriate for non-religious folks.

One Hand, Two Hands
One Hand, Two Hands by Max Lucado (Hardcover - September 14, 2010)
Used & New from: $3.34