5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Barry's best yet!
Published on August 22, 2002 by QTeacher

3.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Approach
I bought this based on another reviewer who said it was her favorite book. I can see why, but I thought its appeal is for a narrow market because of its artwork....I felt it was more artwork than writing message. It is a different approach to memoir, and for this alone it is to be commended. But unlike that reviewer, it is not my favorite but deserves a look because of...
Published 8 months ago by C.A.Lutes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Barry's best yet!, August 22, 2002
QTeacher "qteacher" (Pleasant Hill, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This "autobifictionalography" collects Barry's brilliant salon.com sketches of the demons we all face in our lives. It is exactly that universality that makes for magical reading. The intense specificity of childhood's horrors made me feel like I was reading my own life, not Barry's. Barry's artistry is in telling and illustrating these stories with incredible humor as well as unlimited heart. Particularly haunting of the eighteen stories are the lost friendship in "Magic" and "Resilience" which gives the lie to adult fantsies of childhood innocence. It's increasingly clear that Lynda Barry is our finest writer of the emotional lives of damaged children. She gives voice to kids that few people ever listened to. Having been one of those kids, it's an amazing feeling to realize that you are understood and you were not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Lynda Barry's usually awesome, trippy stuff, July 24, 2003
Catherine S. Vodrey (East Liverpool, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Lynda Barry's "One! Hundred! Demons!" is just another astonishingly wonderful book in a long line of astonishingly wonderful books. Using Japanese inks and brushes, she categorizes the demons of her childhood. We see everything from resilience to hate to common scents, from magic to "girlness" to dogs to cicadas.
Among the many pleasures of the book--Barry's extremely simple yet enormously evocative illustrations, the awesome ear she has for the way children speak to each other, the cheerful colors belying much of the sadness inherent in her work--is the section entitled "Magic." This regards Barry's rejection, at age thirteen, of her two-years-younger best friend. It's easy to tell that even more than thirty years later, Barry feels shame over this episode. She so deftly sketches the psyche of her thirteen-year old self that we are left alternating between complete understanding of her actions and rueful sorrow that she couldn't ignore the age difference.
This is a funky, trippy book that's simultaneously a quick read and something you want to linger over the second (and third, and fourth) time you read it. Long may Lynda Barry rule!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, March 5, 2003
By A Customer
I stayed up late into the night to read this book, frequently crying. Lynda Barry has clearly made an effort to be as honest as possible, and as a result, these stories just really ring true. This book is a rare combination of funny and sad and smart. She handles some pretty lofty themes--memory, abuse of power, family--with an insistence on staying in reality. It's a provocative book, and a pleasure to read. I'm buying copies for several of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars All in color with an Aswang too!!, September 16, 2002
By A Customer
It's Lynda Barry's first all-color book and it's beautiful, collecting the fantastic water-colored 100 Demons stories that originally appeared on ... but that's not all!
The book also contains awesome collages by Lynda between the strips as well as a foreword explaining the origin of the 100 Demons idea and an afterword describing some of the materials and methods Lynda used in creating the strips.
The strips (as you would expect in a work by Ms. Barry) evoke a wide range of emotions, and cover a lot of territory. Who could read "Common Scents" and NOT remember the smells of their grandmother's house or shuffle uncomfortably at the memory of failed attempts to disguise the smell of cat pee with incense?
OK, maybe you never owned a cat, but you still need the book to read about the Aswang! It could save your life!

4.0 out of 5 stars I cried over almost every story, September 7, 2004
Lynda Barry is so amazing with her honesty. Every story resonated with me: she didn't try to paint herself in a great light, but showed the truth -- which blew me away.

Thank you, Lynda, for being so honest. I cried, cried, cried cuz I saw myself in your stories. So many regrets I have after years and years, myself. So many people who I was cruel to; so many things I screwed up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahh...pure genious!, December 27, 2002
Ryan "r_e_w" (Lake Oswego, Oregon) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Lynda Barry for years and was thrilled to get her One Hundred Deamons as a gift this Christmas. Her humour reminds me of watching Steel Magnolias. You have never laughed so hard while reading something so touching. This book makes me think I understand her character a bit more - and the fact that I am drawn into wanting to understand a cartoon character says something in and of itself. I still think of some of her comics from previous books and laugh out loud, and this book has given me more memories that put a smile on my face and an embarassing outburst of laughter when it is not especially convenient....
I have been reading Lynda's books since I was 15 and now 30 something....I enjoy them as much now as I did then!
Lynda - your the greatest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife: "Best book I've read in, like, years!", January 5, 2005
I bought "One Hundred Demons" as kind of a shot-in-the-dark gift for my wife. She ended up reading it all in one sitting and gave me her opinion. "This book is, like, one of the best books I've read in years! You have to read it! She even, like, gives you instructions in the back on how to paint your own demons!" Buying a good gift without being given specific instructions is something I do once every 10 years maybe. I did it TWICE this year (I also did good by buying her some thermal "dog" pajamas from Target on a whim).

I ended up reading it myself -- and I thought it was an awesome book. I couldn't (and still can't) put it down either! There are a lot of nuances that are very funny. Lynda Barry does a great job conveying personality and humanism. Very colorful and fun to read. Will likely buy more of her books -- I (we) need more than just one fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous artwork, heartbreaking stories., August 26, 2002
By A Customer
Beautiful collages and artwork bookend each of the 20 color featured stories (most of which appear currently on [...] and are recently written) that detail a semi-maybe-autobiographical Lynda's life, memories and emotions in ways that can make you recall, if you were a misfit growing up, exact memories of that experience, and the subtle ways it follows you into adulthood. The honesty and intelligence of her art and writing is, as usual, spot on, and always evolving-- she's not afraid to try a new voice, character, or medium, and this new collection shows that clearly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book so much, September 12, 2010
This review is from: One Hundred Demons (Paperback)
This is Kate Moon here.There is something so liberating about what Barry does with her personal history,it becomes a service to others...we think we could never describe the particulars of a life and she does it in a totally natural way. I shared it with my stepdaughter who is around the age of the author at the time of many the stories,very cool. My girl reflects on her own life through the stories.It helps with awareness about things she will be facing without adults being right there,the experience of my own generation in adolescence,and what makes this all work so well is-it's WAY funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book broke my heart open, September 4, 2011
This review is from: One Hundred Demons (Paperback)
I just finished reading this book, and I know it will forever be a favorite of mine. The stories are stunning in their economy and their ability to sum up a certain type of girl coming of age experience that I believe many will identify with--I certainly did. I laughed out loud quite a bit, and two stories made me cry. The book is magical and deceptive. At first, it may seem like it will be light--maybe just surface demons--but the stories take on some really tough stuff in a very honest way without being too relentless. It's funny: in one story the Barry character talks about finishing a book and wanting to just hold it in your hands to retain its magic, and that's just how I felt. Thank you, Ms. Barry. I'm a fan.

Theo Pauline Nestor
author, blogger, teacher

[...]

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

One Hundred Demons
One Hundred Demons by Lynda Barry (Paperback - August 30, 2005)
$17.95 $12.12