5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Chip - One Life Stand
Published on February 9, 2010 by Andrew Vice

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Not their best.
Published on March 20, 2010 by Hammer-Y

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Chip - One Life Stand, February 9, 2010
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
I started listening to Hot Chip shortly after The Warning came out, in 2006, and I fell in love with the band's knack for writing catchy, melodic, and danceable tunes. The album had a brilliant balance of hard and fast dance tracks and slower, smoother ballads and pop songs. When Made in the Dark came out in early 2008, I was disappointed with the direction the band had taken, eschewing their melodic inklings for a more dance-oriented album, filling in the gaps with some meager attempts at '70s R&B and soul. Alas, the dance tunes lacked the punch of brilliant songs like "Over and Over," and I sort of put Hot Chip on the proverbial shelf, somewhat forgetting about them, until of course I read about the impending release of One Life Stand.

Like clockwork, Hot Chip are set to release another album in their two year cycle, and One Life Stand can certainly serve as fitting company to the excellent The Warning. It seems that this time around, Hot Chip have again learned how to love melody, and have worked it in throughout the record, creating captivating hooks and little ear worms that you'll have stuck in your head for weeks, if not months. The chillout bridge and triumphant harmonized chorus of the title track soars well above and beyond Made in the Dark, and it's at this point that it becomes obvious that Hot Chip have done it again. The songs are more tightly composed and the styles more varied on this effort, and I for one am very pleased with the restraint shown by the band on this go. I am once again in the thrall of Hot Chip, and looking forward to their next album in February of 2012. Other album highlight include the brilliant closer, "Take It In" and the beautiful fraternal-love-touting "Brothers." Another great record for 2010. Damn, this is a good year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hypnotic and Captivating, May 3, 2012
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
I had the great fortune of recently discovering this band about four months ago. I heard One Life Stand here in the US and pulled it into Shazam to identify it on my iPhone. I had no idea of the amazing group that I had discovered. I have become bored with much of the music which has come out in the past few years, with only a few bands capturing my interest. I was astonished at the brilliance that this band displays. The music on this album is truly amazing and this group shows more creativity in both its music, and accompanying videos, than I have found in a long time. Every song on this album is not only good, but great!

There is no filler on this album and every song is well thought out and performed with emotion. Hot Chip possess the best of many types of music, incorporating deep electronic soundscapes with catchy rythims and even a little jazz/r&b/Motown in the mix, all with hypnotic lyrics. I have not run into a band like this in a long time.

I am a fan of 80s and 90s music as well and they remind me of a cross between alternative artists such as Devo, New Order, Joy Division, Moby, with R&B music. However, don't take this as limiting the bands scope at all, that's just my perception. There is so much more to their music and they get the mix just right. I have never quite heard anything like it. Its as if they can cross over into anything while retaining their roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Chip -- One Life Stand, April 19, 2010
Jonathon M. Wood (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
Hot Chip is unquestionably one of the most distinctive technosonic music groups to emerge in the last decade. They broke onto the scent in 2005 with their debut album, The Warning, which was an inconsistent album but featured some profound moments where the band's unique fusion of retro, pop, and dance music simply glistened. Over their next two albums, Hot Chip continued to expand their sound, becoming more complex and eccentric. As their songs became busier, Hot Chip's albums were still plagued by inconsistency with two or three tremendous singles, but the albums were unable to maintain the momentum throughout. With their fourth album, Hot Chip appear to have made a conscious effort to dial back their complexities and focus on making a more consistent album and with One Life Stand, they have succeeded in making the best overall album of their career.

One Life Stand kicks off with "Thieves In The Night," which features a simple, driving beat overlaid by some typical Hot Chip keyboard sounds, but as a whole, the song feels much more sparse and is less exuberant than much of Hot Chip's prior music, and this sets a tone for the entire album. Next is "Hand Me Down Your Love," which is a more upbeat, energetic song, but still feels more controlled than what I've come to expect from Hot Chip. On "I Feel Better," Hot Chip find a beautiful medium between the driving beats and synth notes their known for and their new, more controlled sound. Despite clocking in at only 4:40 seconds, the song has an epic feel about it stemming from the lush keyboard work and the vocalist giving a fabulous performance.

The album continues the momentum until track six "Slush." This is the one track on the album where Hot Chip dials back the energy too much. At 6:26, this slow, uneventful song drags on much too long and makes it seem that One Life Stand will suffer from the same inconsistency that has plagued prior Hot Chip albums. However, the album quickly hits a second high point on the infectiously catchy "We Have Love." This is one two songs on One Life Stand that sound very much like past Hot Chip records and is also so catchy that it is near impossible to listen to without physically bobbing your head to the beat. After the rather forgetful "Keep Quiet," the album closes on an extremely high note with one of the best songs Hot Chip's best songs. As is common in their best songs, the rhythm of "Take It In" is incredibly catchy and the vocalist's performance, especially in the chorus, takes the song to another level.

On One Life Stand, the obvious difference from Hot Chip's prior albums is that, musically, their sound is much more dialed down and precise. However, what also makes this their best, most complete album is the consistent strength of their lyrics. The songs on One Life Stand largely focus on the importance of commitment whether it is a romantic relationship or a friendship. The necessity of human connection is something that we all feel, so these songs about the importance of these relationships make for highly compelling listens.

Upon their arrival five years ago, Hot Chip was one of the most exciting bands on the electronic music scene, but after their first three albums, they were becoming relatively predictable. With One Life Stand, Hot Chip has consciously shifted their sound to become more mature and consistently high quality, so as we move into a new decade, Hot Chip is once again at the forefront of excitement in the electronic music world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Chip Enter Their 'Growing Up' Phase, March 14, 2010
etw3p (Charlottesville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
The British electro-pop band Hot Chip have shown that they have done some growing up on their most recent album, One Life Stand. Hot Chip is a welcome breath of fresh air in the electro-pop genre, deviating from many of the monotonous and repetitive beats of other groups. The album finds the group exploring new grounds in the electronic music genre in highly original ways.

Like their predecessor Karlheinz Stockhausen, who began his work almost 60 years earlier, Hot Chip combine digital sounds and music with acoustic instruments and manipulated samples. There is frequent use of synthesizers, synth pads, and drum beats which create much of the harmony and melody. Yet, almost every track includes an unaltered drum set and in addition several tracks include electric guitar and piano. The most notable manipulation of acoustic samples though comes from voice samples that often provide the refrain or accompany the chorus in many of their songs. Despite their experimentation and originality, most songs will still be heard at chic clubs and house parties due to the fact that most of the songs are driven by a steady bass drum beat (whether from a drum machine, a real drum set, or both) that allows the songs to keep their "danceability". Songs tend to build by slowly adding new sounds and beats that layer the music. The bands style is very reminiscent of the 70s and 80s electronic band Kraftwerk (which is interesting considering Hot Chip has covered and remixed two of their songs). Like their mentors, Hot Chip's beats are somewhat simple and contain strange electronic sounds, only attainable through computers, while being highly innovative.

The sixth track on the album, "Slush", provides a nice respite from the digital origins of the group and showcases their skills in a more traditional sense. This track only includes acoustic instruments that are not manipulated (with the exception of some vocal looping). This is the only track of it's kind on the record and one can assume that the placement of it in the middle of the album was an intentional choice, as it nicely divides the album in half. On tracks like this and others, lead singer Alexis Taylor's falsetto voice balances nicely when joined with his lower octave counterpart, Joe Goddard. The voices blend together seamlessly and complement each other well.

While the band's musical style remains largely unchanged, it is in the subject matter of the lyrics that reflect the most marked change from their earlier work. The themes found on One Life Stand seem to be more subdued and less experimental and reflect sentiments of fidelity, love, and happiness. This marks the groups' progression and suggests that they have entered into their "growing up" phase (lead singer Alexis Taylor is now a father). The lyrics are more insightful, for example on the track "We Have Love" Taylor reflects "we have love/ there is nothing else to be proud of". Or, on the album's title track, Taylor proposes on settling down for the rest of his life with one person.

Yet, Hot Chip has not lost all of their childishness and many lyrics still contain elements of triviality despite the overall more serious subject matter. This is most notable on the song "Alley Cats", which literally traces a story about two cats. On this Taylor sings "Monkey grooms, blossom blooms/ do you dig germs, the Germs". Or on another upbeat song, "Thieves in the Night", Taylor playfully jokes "My friend once told me something so right/ he said to be careful of bugs that don't bite".

The subject matter of the sentimental song "Brothers" bridges the gap between Hot Chip's former silliness and their newfound sincerity. This slower, heartfelt song reminisces about brotherly love and connection, but contains lyrics such as "I can play Xbox with my brothers/ it's not about who won or lost with my brothers/ we play to be free".

One Life Stand is still catchy and contains enough hooks and beats to be considered dance music, yet stays rigidly clear of the house music genre. The album is an excellent addition to the already experienced band's musical repertoire and to British-electronic music in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Chip continues its winning ways (mostly), February 9, 2010
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
After a couple of initial tentative albums, Hot Chip broke out with its delicious 2006 album "The Warning", which contained several irresistible songs like "Over and Over", "Colours" and "I Was A Boy From School". 2008's "Made In the Dark" album was even sharper, even if it didn't contain as many immediately accessible tracks. Now comes the band's highly anticipated new album.

"One Life Stand" (10 tracks; 51 min.) starts off with a blast, "Thieves In the Night" and "Hand Me Down Your Love", the latter being an obvious choice for a radio single. The band takes a short breather with "I Feel Better", only to then continue the dance party with the title track and a nicely bouncing "Brothers". What a fabulous and pretty much perfect first half of the album, which I rate 4.5 stars. Things sound very differently on the second half of the album, though, with pensive tracks "Slush" and "Alley Cats". In fact there is only one up-tempo track on the second half of the album, namely "We Have Love", which actually might be my favorite track of the album. The album finishes with again 2 more pensive tracks, "Keep Quiet" and "Take It In". For me the second half of the album doesn't resonate as well as the first one, and I rate it 3.5 stars. In all, I wouldn't rate this album nearly as good as "The Warning", but still there are plenty of good tracks to keep me interested.

I've had the good fortune of seeing the band in concert a number of times, including on their "Warning" and "Made in the Dark" tours, and it was fantastic each time. I will be seeing them again at Coachella in a few months, and I fully expect they will play mostly their faster, dance-along songs from this album, along with the old nuggets from previous albums. Can't wait for that. Finally, if you wonder where you can hear these guys, check out WOXY (BAM! The Future of Rock and Roll), the internet-only station that brings the best indie-music in the country, bar none.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tied as their best album!!, February 19, 2010
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
Like most here I first got into Hot Chip after listening to "The Boy From School" on Pitchfork and instantly became obsessed with it. I then went and got The Warning and was blown away. There is a good reason why to this day I would still recommend that album above all others to get someone into Hot Chip. It is still probably overall their strongest front-to-back album, but this one almost takes the cake. I would put it right between "The Warning" and "Made in the Dark". I didn't think they'd be able to top those last 2 albums, but again these guys continue to amaze. I don't know how the hell Alexis Taylor & Joe Goddard do it. Every damn song these guys write is amazing. The melodies are original and catchy, the production is fantastic. Even the weakest song on the whole album "Slush", at least has some interesting things going on and the boys were trying something different. I can respect that. Even Hot Chip at their worst is still not that bad. I just don't know if these guys are even capable of writing a bad song. If you enjoyed the more slower moments from the last albums, you will really love OLS. There is realy only one "Over and Over"-type banger on here, but this is still groovy electropop regardless, but the melodies are stronger than ever (seems like they get better and better) and the LYRICS especially are the biggest improvement. Trust me give it a few listens. I am just so happy these guys are around making music and please please please if you like this band go see them live! They put on a brilliant concert.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Not their best., March 20, 2010
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
Their previous works were so good, so funny, so catchy, so cheeky, I think they probably found it hard to top that. This one is not as poppy, not as catchy, not as bright. There's definitely still some funny stuff in here, they're a bunch of very cheeky lads, excellent sense of humor, but this one sort of fades into the background for me, it just doesn't stand out like their other discs. I'll just say that it's not bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 1, 2014
I listen in Jools Holland program and I like

5.0 out of 5 stars the chips starts here, April 15, 2013
Joshua J. Hanson "J-Jazzle" (15425 Sherman Way #256 Van Nuys, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
here a chip, there a chip, everywhere a chip, chip. todas bueno!! GRANDIOSO REVIUE!! Mas o menos solomente, todas fantastico groupa!!

3.0 out of 5 stars beholden eye, March 12, 2013
This review is from: One Life Stand (Audio CD)
I loved Hot Chip since the day I saw the Playboy video (still one of my favorite songs ever by any band), however, I have to pen One Life Stand as largely a transition album, to get them from the playful humor of their early lyrical content to the more serious themes they touch-on now. Although I tend to remove a few songs from each of their albums, I would not miss any of the songs on this album if they left them out of a live concert. That is not to say there isn't a gem or two, but I was not ready for them to remove the humorous lyrics completely, although the album after this is 100% essential to me without hardly a single tongue-in-cheek joke.

Side note: It's sort of like watching Beck mature, because Sea Change is clearly musically more advanced and mature than Odelay, but it's a downer of an album and largely Beck's least distinct work. One Life Stand is not a total downer, but it seems less like a deliberate choice towards maturity, and more like the result of running out of jokes.

Regardless, this album does have some distinction in their catalog, and for that reason alone, I have no doubts that it is someone's favorite Hot Chip album. However, it is my least favorite, because the sentimental ideas seem corny to me here, and not in the way that I first fell in love with from them. Make of it what you will.

One Life Stand
One Life Stand by Hot Chip (Audio CD - 2010)