4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but a few problems...
I bought this journal a little less than a year ago, and have been writing in it daily.

Published on March 11, 2011 by Goldom

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed
I was really excited about the concept of this journal - being able to look at any given date and see how my son changed in five years. As I started writing in it, though, I found that there wasn't enough room to write things that were really important because you couldn't give any details without running out of space. Some days, there really wasn't much happening, so...
Published 11 months ago by DuckyShelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but a few problems..., March 11, 2011
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)

It's a small (but thick) journal, with a nice blue cover and gold details. The first page is a place to put your name, address, phone number and email (in case the book is lost). That is followed by a page that tells you how to use the journal. The bulk of the journal is, of course, made up by the daily pages. Each page has the date listed on top, and five sections for each year. Each section provides a place to write the year (20___), and then gives six small lines to write on. At the end of the journal you are given three sections for 'dates to remember' - basically blank lined pages for any use.

I have small, neat handwriting so I am able to put a fair bit of information in each day - folks with larger handwriting may have some trouble, but there should be enough room to write the highlight of the day (which is the point, after all). I travel a lot so I also appreciate it's smaller size.

Overall, I am happy with this journal, but there are some flaws. First, the gold lettering has worn off the front and spine. Some of the gold on the edges of the pages is starting to scratch off as well. The lining on the cover is starting to warp a bit, causing little bubbles and larger creases - although the cover below is still fine. As I said, I travel a lot so my journals see a lot of wear and a bit of rough use - so if you're like me, this is something to consider. However, these issues are mostly cosmetic - the spine and binding have held up very well, as good as when I bought it, I have no worries about it falling apart any time soon. The ribbon page marker is also holding up just fine.

A nice little journal, I've enjoyed writing in it daily, and look forward to using it for the next few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT idea for us non-journal-writers who want to be journal-writers, November 1, 2010
Length:: 1:20 Mins

Just a short video with some visual as to how big the book is and how easy it is to navigate the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Little Book, May 6, 2010
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
This is a lovely, small (but thick) book! I love the limited space. Prevents me from rambling. The trickiest part is getting yourself into the habit of writing in it daily.

It has a faux-leather cover, nice binding, and gold-metallic page edges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, November 6, 2009
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
This is a great little journal. It's very nicely made and a good size to take anywhere. I'm looking forward to tracking five years of my life in this lovely little book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed & a brilliant concept, August 23, 2013
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
I honestly never thought I would give a 5-star rating to a journal. I'm the kind of person who buys journals, writes in them for a week or so, and then gets bored.

I bought this journal because I wanted to start getting into the habit of reflecting on my day before bed. I also wanted to jot down reminders of events and milestones, because of my horrible long-term memory. Based on the reviews for this book, I thought I would give the whole one-line-a-day thing a shot. It is now 3 months later and I am more than pleasantly surprised.

Writing in this book is not a chore. Writing in this book is easy peasy, rewarding, and (dare I say it?) fun! I don't feel pressured into having to fill entire pages with my questionably existent thoughts. When I stumble home after a long day and just want to roll into bed, I see this book on my night stand and say to myself, "Might as well write something, it will only take a minute!" Even if I forget to fill in a day, going back and filling in a line takes up minimal time.

Aside from the 5-star concept behind this book, the design is also beautiful. The blue color is slightly different from what I expected based on the main product image. It's more of a Tiffany blue, with gorgeous gold embellishments. The gold-edged pages are another great bonus! The book looks amazingly elegant and appealing on my night stand. Even the inside pages are aesthetically pleasing and simple enough that it makes my handwriting look pretty. Each page has 5 or 6 lines per section, and 5 sections per page. The idea behind this is that you can look at your entries from a single day over 5 years all on 1 page. Pretty cool!

I love looking back on my past entries and I love the challenge of narrowing down my busy days into 1 or 2 of the most important events. It has now been about 3 months since I have started writing in the One Line a Day memory book. I don't even think I've ever had a journal for this long before! This book has definitely succeeded in keeping me in the habit of journaling, and I am so glad I bought it. Future me is eternally grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat little book, November 11, 2011
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
I received this and realized i didnt understand the concept behind it, poor product research on my part, but the fact that it's a five year is really neat to me. I just had a baby girl so being able to recap through out the next few years will be great with milestones and family events. Love the gold pages and bookmark. I want to wait till the new year to start it so I'm stuck waiting :p I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a neat SMALL keepsake for the years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and Cute!, March 10, 2011
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
Got my journal today, was in perfect condition! It's so cute and fancy, I love it, I'm excited to start writing my one line a day for the next 5 years. It should be a great experience! The size is easy to carry around in your purse or bag, the color is soft and cool, and the little book marker is a peach color that is just perfect to save your spot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best kept secret, December 21, 2010
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
I bought this book to replace the system I had for journaling my life (used to have a card catalogue with index cards -had an index card for every day and was going to do the same thing -track for a few years on each card). It was too cumbersome and not very attractive. I saw this advertised in a magazine and bought it instantly. I LOVE it...every night before I go to bed, I jot down the things I did for the day, including anything cute my 2 year old has done or said

I later bought about 10 more and have been giving them to teachers, babysitters, family and friends (makes a great gift for a teacher....as well as a bridal shower or newlywed or new parent). It is the most thoughtful gift out there...

You have to get this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips for using the five-year journal, October 8, 2014
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
I've been writing in this little journal for three years now and already bought a second one just to make sure I can continue this wonderful habit into a new volume. Some tips:
- Since this little book will be with you for a LONG time, buy or make a little protective sleeve to slip it into when you're not writing. I whipped one up as a sewing project and it has kept all the gold writing on the outside looking like new. If you're really tricky, you can also attach pen pockets on the outside so you always have a pen with you for journaling.
- Alternate pen color from year to year. Makes the entries really stand out from each other when you're going back down memory lane.
- Tuck a $5 or $20 bill in between pages at your birthday / other special day. When you come back to that date next year, you'll have a nice surprise from your past self! :-)

The quality of this journal is excellent - the creators obviously put some thought into how much use it would be getting. I'm especially pleased with the paper - I tend to press really hard when I'm writing but the ink doesn't show through on the other side at all. Highly recommended! Get a few, as you'll probably want to give some away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory keeper, September 29, 2010
This review is from: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book (Diary)
With a 16-year-old and 13-year-old, I'm faced every day with the thought of how fleeting their time is left at home. I bought this book as a way to record the little things...short conversations, quotes, observations, and other memories that might otherwise be forgotten. I hope it will remind me these last five years, with children at home, were really lived, and didn't just fly by with our busy schedule. I'm not much of a journaler, but the format is so simple (you get about five lines a day), and requires just a minute or two of my time. It's prompted me to be more observant of my children...to stop and savor this sweet time while my kids are still with me. I highly recommend it.

One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book
One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book by Chronicle Books Staff (Diary - September 16, 2009)
$16.95 $12.12
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.