Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Diary|Change

on October 8, 2014
I've been writing in this little journal for three years now and already bought a second one just to make sure I can continue this wonderful habit into a new volume. Some tips:
- Since this little book will be with you for a LONG time, buy or make a little protective sleeve to slip it into when you're not writing. I whipped one up as a sewing project and it has kept all the gold writing on the outside looking like new. If you're really tricky, you can also attach pen pockets on the outside so you always have a pen with you for journaling.
- Alternate pen color from year to year. Makes the entries really stand out from each other when you're going back down memory lane.
- Tuck a $5 or $20 bill in between pages at your birthday / other special day. When you come back to that date next year, you'll have a nice surprise from your past self! :-)

The quality of this journal is excellent - the creators obviously put some thought into how much use it would be getting. I'm especially pleased with the paper - I tend to press really hard when I'm writing but the ink doesn't show through on the other side at all. Highly recommended! Get a few, as you'll probably want to give some away.
33 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2011
I received this and realized i didnt understand the concept behind it, poor product research on my part, but the fact that it's a five year is really neat to me. I just had a baby girl so being able to recap through out the next few years will be great with milestones and family events. Love the gold pages and bookmark. I want to wait till the new year to start it so I'm stuck waiting :p I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a neat SMALL keepsake for the years to come.
review image review image review image
33 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2015
A normal journal overwhelms me. All that empty space! I need something finite. This journal fits the bill.

This is my second One Line A Day Five Year Memory Book. I started the first one the day I got it...no reason to wait til Jan 1--that's the beauty of it! I just finished five years and purchased a second one. I really do like the journal because I HATE journaling and this is totally manageable. I write small and don't actually do "one line;" I just write about my day. This is a great journal for anyone who either hates journaling but wants to do it to have something to look back on, or someone who enjoys ruminating over their day and choosing one thing to highlight, or for anyone who just wants to keep a brief ongoing journal.... There is an "If found..." page at the front, and three "Dates to Remember" pages at the back. An attached ribbon makes it easy to keep your place.

The best thing about keeping a journal like this is you can easily look back on what you did on a particular day up to 5 years ago, and you can compare each year. Kind of cool. It's kind of interesting to note coincidences over the years, like I happened to be sick at the same time a few years in a row--weird. And my kids saw a particular movie one year, and three years later saw the sequel, to the day, with the same friends, even though they had moved away!!

Ok, so it's just a journal. But it's nice and small and fits nicely in your night stand--or in your suitcase when you travel.

Why did I take a star away? Because the manufacturer affixes a big sticker label directly on the back of the book, which does not peel off without a fight, and leaves all kinds of crud all over the book. Who wants a book with a giant sticker on it?? And who wants a book with sticky crud all over the back? Well, now I'm stuck with the cruddy back. But it's better than a sticker. My first one did not have this problem. I suspect it may have come with a cardboard label around it instead, or wrapped in plastic. I don't remember. But it is crud-less.

And as for any concerns about how it holds up for 5 years...it is fine. All you are doing is opening it, writing in it for a few seconds, closing it and putting it away. I don't see how it could fall apart from that. I'm sure someone could destroy it, but mine held up great.

It's a good little book. Nice to have, and even though I hate journaling, I've missed the routine of mulling over my day and writing about it right before bed. Now I'm all set for another 5 years!

EDIT: I was able to scrape off the sticker (it was a MESS) with my fingernail, as you can see in the photos, and then use a goo-gone type spray on a paper towel to wipe the sticky guck off. It's fine now. I learned afterwards that if you use a straight edge razor (the kind you scrape paint off windows with) very gently and slowly around the edges of a label, you can work around it and eventually get it off pretty cleanly, then clean the residue with the stuff I used. I'll try that next time I have a massive sticker slapped across the cover of a book. (What were they thinking???)
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 1, 2010
Just a short video with some visual as to how big the book is and how easy it is to navigate the book.
88 comments|305 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2013
I honestly never thought I would give a 5-star rating to a journal. I'm the kind of person who buys journals, writes in them for a week or so, and then gets bored.

I bought this journal because I wanted to start getting into the habit of reflecting on my day before bed. I also wanted to jot down reminders of events and milestones, because of my horrible long-term memory. Based on the reviews for this book, I thought I would give the whole one-line-a-day thing a shot. It is now 3 months later and I am more than pleasantly surprised.

Writing in this book is not a chore. Writing in this book is easy peasy, rewarding, and (dare I say it?) fun! I don't feel pressured into having to fill entire pages with my questionably existent thoughts. When I stumble home after a long day and just want to roll into bed, I see this book on my night stand and say to myself, "Might as well write something, it will only take a minute!" Even if I forget to fill in a day, going back and filling in a line takes up minimal time.

Aside from the 5-star concept behind this book, the design is also beautiful. The blue color is slightly different from what I expected based on the main product image. It's more of a Tiffany blue, with gorgeous gold embellishments. The gold-edged pages are another great bonus! The book looks amazingly elegant and appealing on my night stand. Even the inside pages are aesthetically pleasing and simple enough that it makes my handwriting look pretty. Each page has 5 or 6 lines per section, and 5 sections per page. The idea behind this is that you can look at your entries from a single day over 5 years all on 1 page. Pretty cool!

I love looking back on my past entries and I love the challenge of narrowing down my busy days into 1 or 2 of the most important events. It has now been about 3 months since I have started writing in the One Line a Day memory book. I don't even think I've ever had a journal for this long before! This book has definitely succeeded in keeping me in the habit of journaling, and I am so glad I bought it. Future me is eternally grateful.
on August 2, 2015
This is a FANTASTIC journal centered on a FANTASTIC concept! I'm a hardcore journaler, keeping a detailed daily diary for many years now. And this journal fits right in. If I don't get to my primary journal for a day or two, this book reminds me of what I did on what day, etc. It's just a great little log. It's also great fun! I just finished my first volume of this book, and it was SO FUN to see what happened on each day from the previous years. Of course, it takes a few years for that aspect of fun to come into play, but if you're diligent and thorough, that payoff will eventually come to fruition.

The journal has held up beautifully to the wear and tear of handling it for five years, overall. The thin, clear film that coated the book has long been peeled away; once it started to break and peel on its own, I just peeled it all off, for the most part. The cover's material below that film is strong. The gold lettering on the cover is long gone, but its imprint remains. I've taped some of the weaker areas of the creases of the cover. The ribbon is in top shape. The gold on the pages has worn significantly. So, cosmetically, it's dirty and worn and fading. But structurally, it's sound. And I looooove the worn look anyway; it means it's seen some days.

I've started volume two now, and am so excited to keep going with these books, hopefully all my life. At this point, I have three more blank ones in storage; I hope they make these for many more years to come so I can keep going with them, and keep gifting them.

The photos I've attached to this review show my five-year-old book and my two-week-old book. Let me know if you have any other questions; I am an unpaid, unsolicited BIG fan of these journals.
review image review image review image review image
on May 6, 2010
This is a lovely, small (but thick) book! I love the limited space. Prevents me from rambling. The trickiest part is getting yourself into the habit of writing in it daily.

It has a faux-leather cover, nice binding, and gold-metallic page edges.
on September 20, 2014
I couldn't bring myself to start the first row of the journal in September, it would mean that the top row for Jan-Sept would stay empty, which would irritate me no end.8-) So at the very top of the page I add a 2014: and then add whatever interesting happened that day. That way, I can start the official top row on Jan 1 2015 to fill up the journal as much as possible.. This journal gives you just enough room for a phrase or two, just the highlights of the day. I like the concept and it will become more and more interesting as the years go by. I have now found some pretty glitter tape to decorate parts of the journal.
review image review image review image review image
on November 6, 2009
This is a great little journal. It's very nicely made and a good size to take anywhere. I'm looking forward to tracking five years of my life in this lovely little book.
on April 9, 2014
I absolutely love this Book. Great for keeping track of your life with only minutes a day. You can go back to look on each day what you wrote the following year. The book is beautiful too. I love the blue color and the gold lining. Definitely worth this price on Amazon I saw it for way more at the store. This particular one stands out from the other ones I researched. 5 Stars.
review image