Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on March 15, 2000
Though the production quality is somewhat cut-rate (all of it is shot on video, not film) and the graphic effects are at times amateurish (what's with those horrible backgrounds during the interviews?), this DVD remains a steal for Dokken fans. With a running time of a little over an hour, it costs less than either the VHS or even the CD version of "One Live Night"!
A quasi-unplugged show (George Lynch weilds a Strat through most of it), this stripped-down concert reveals how much musical talent these guys have. Drummer Mick Brown sings "Tooth and Nail," bassist Jeff Pilson sings "Just Got Lucky" (with Don Dokken on bass!) and Lynch turns in a spectacular performance on the instrumental "I Will Remember." A cover of "Nowhere Man" showcases some of the best harmonies in rock n' roll! (I do hope Don Dokken has quit smoking, though--it can't do his voice any good.) One question: why didn't any songs from "Back For the Attack" get the stripped-down treatment? "Heaven Sent" could have been great!
This is an opportunity to look in on the classic Dokken during the "honeymoon period" soon after their 1995 reunion. (The are a lot of laughs in the frequent non-performance clips.) Too bad it didn't last.
A good combination of music and behind-the-scenes fun, "One Live Night" is nice companion to Dokken's 1986 "Unchain the Night" home video!
on September 23, 2000
This album was released after bands like Alice In Chains and Nirvana had earned great success with thie unplugged efforts. Dokken's stab at unplugged success is no less impressive. It's interesting to hear some of their 80's releases in a new light. Songs from the 80's like "Into The Fire", "Unchain The Night", "Tooth and Nail" and "In My Dreams" are masterfully arranged and translate well acoustically. Dokken also includes several songs from their Dysfunctional album such as "The Maze" and "Nothing Left to Say". These songs are not only show off Dokken's naturally rich vocal harmonies but also show off their song writing talents. Their cover of the Beatle song "Nowhere Man" is a perfect demonstration of Dokken's talent and underrated versatility. One Live Night also inlcudes a version of the early Dokken classic "Alone Again" with piano. This is a masterful piece of music and in itself might be worth the price of the album. In fact,moat of the songs on this album are a far cry better than the original versions. Those who were Dokken fans in the 80's may be a little put off by the lack of power chords and patented 80's screams. Yes, the 80's gloss is missing from these songs but what is left in place of it is pure creativity and talent. This is one of the best "unplugged" albums that I've had the honor of experiencing. This is one of their best albums.
on April 6, 2003
I bought the dvd first and was curious about it. I thought it was great-for the dvd of the songs giving new life to them and the interviews in between of goofying off and showing their real side. Then I bought the cd and loved it. They had little saying in between songs on the cd that I thought was neat. Like before it's not love someone was yellilng breaking the chains and Mick saying," What did you say?" and Don saying something like "we take requests". I recommend this to Dokken fans and 80's fans!
on April 5, 2001
I accidentally found this DVD while in a video store for a mere fifteen bucks! I've been a Dokken fan from the beginning and I thought this unplugged version was well worth it. Video quality was poor,(audio was ok) but hearing (and seeing) these songs hold their own acoustically was a pleasant surprise. The "Unchain the Night" version was different but highly enjoyable. What can I say, this dvd took me back to my "who gives a s..t, lets have fun" years. You won't be cranking it up and knocking the pictures off the walls with this one. Just kick back with a cold one and enjoy.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2002
Awesome footage of the re-united, original members of DOKKEN doin their hits acousticly....the tracks on this DVD sounds good..only compliant is, I feel it was too short. Highlight of the disk is they cover the Beatles Nowhere Man, and show us, even more with this track, how awesome the ORIGINAL BAND can harmonize vocally... The interview footage isn't that good in qualty and feel we could do without some of the footage; like seeing George Lynch at the beach..Who cares? I want the music!! This was Dokken at their Best..Recently seen Dokken at a club minus original guitarist and bass player and was not impressed..With Dokken, Only the original line up will do...So, if you wanna see the best of Dokken in rare acoustic format, pick this one up...It gets a 4 because it was too short, the interview footage wasn't that great and no real exciting extras were included..other than that, it's very good and kool to watch
on November 25, 1998
Well, my name is Joao Alberto Alves Couceiro. I live in Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. People knows here as "Joao Dokken". Let's talk about the video. This video is about Dokken's come back. It's about their "acoustic tour". Everybody plays acoustic instruments, except George Lynch! This video show to us, some individual segments with interviews with each member and songs from this tour.If you are a Dokken fan like me, I think that tears would fall from your eyes. The songs are great! George Lynch is better than ever! There's a new "Alone Again" acoustic version, with Jeff Pilson on the piano. Excellent!!! Another great moment is "Just Got Lucky", with Jeff Pilson singing and Don Dokken playing the bass and on the backing vocals! All the songs had new excellent arrangements. You'll be very surprised with Wild Mick singing "Tooth And Nail"! I could put five stars, BUT, the only problem about this video is that is clear that there are overdubs!!! But, buy this video even if it has overdubs! Dokken fans, e-mail me!
on July 12, 2013
I first bought the DVD of One Live Night. Simply put, I was so blown away that I bought the CD version too! I've always been a big fan of Dokken from back in the day and I can't believe I never listened to this before. An amazing band with amazing musicians and this CD really showcases their talents. They can all sing and they harmonize great together. The new live and unplugged arrangements of the classic Dokken songs are awesome with an added bonus of electric guitar solos that allow Lynch to do what he does best! The sound isn't spectacular but is pretty good...not enough to downgrade my five start rating. Rediscover Dokken and buy this! A must have for any Dokken fan!! And I highly recommend the DVD too!
on October 31, 2005
I, too, grew up in the 80's, and have never grown tired of some of the great music that was created then. I am also an avid collector of 80's rock done acoustically.

I have to say, that even though it is not entirely acoustic, this is definitely one of the better acoustic recordings I've ever heard. The songs have been tweaked, some interesting acoustic intro's... And the vocals are intense. There is no doubt as to the talent of these four gentlemen known as Dokken.

The only thing that comes close is some acoustic performances I've heard of Def Leppard...
on July 4, 1998
Being an 80's music fan, Dokken was naturally one of my staples. This disc is a recording of a live show they did a few years ago in a small Redondo Beach, CA club. It is a slowed down sometime acoustic rendition of some of their hits. They do also play a few cuts from their newer albums. Don and the boys really give us a treat. The hits are played with even more feeling and dedication to the music than the originals. "Unchain the Night" starts the album off with a bang. I just love this album. If you are a Dokken fan this is a must have. Forget their last studio album.
on December 16, 2001
Sit down acoustic set with only George Lynch playing an electric (strat-body ESP, I believe). The good: the songs sound great acoustic, the vocal harmonies are rich and the 5.1 mix is decent. The bad: the picture is VHS quality. Overall, well worth the price and a chance to see and hear the original lineup live.