Conceived with DVD release in mind, this high-end, live video concert taped in Jamaica lives up to its title with a generous repertoire of Bob Marley songs performed by reverent pop, hip-hop, rock, and reggae veterans. Shot on a rainy night in December 1999, the home video version expands upon an inaugural TNT cable telecast with an additional hour of performances. The DVD edition adds a premium level of special features and exclusive content.
The music's the main thing, of course, and on that front One Love is uniformly respectful, orbiting around Marley's songs and infused with whiffs of his Rastafarian world view and reggae's broader Third World perspectives. Marley's family members serve as hosts and frequent collaborators, with a limber house band further reinforcing a coherent, communal element to the performances, and the titular all-stars immerse themselves in Marley's world. Lauryn Hill opens the concert with what is clearly one of its highest points, a joyful "Turn the Lights Down Low." Chrissie Hynde and Erykah Badu take turns duetting with Jimmy Cliff, and another reggae titan, Toots Hibbert, proves a perfect, ebullient fit with a current lineup of the Wailers. The celebrity choices include a conspicuous subset of American folk-rockers in Tracy Chapman, Ben Harper, and Hootie and the Blowfish's Darius Rucker, with Chapman the most convincing in a glowing version of "Three Little Birds."
Avid reggae fans may be mildly frustrated by the overall crossover thrust of this homage, which favors Yankee rap and hip-hop (via Busta Rhymes and Queen Latifah) instead of homegrown dancehall; it tantalizes us with glimpses of Marley's peers, like Cliff and Hibbert, while being largely occupied with sustaining its parade of non-reggae marquee names. For most viewers, though, the scope of the concert and the first-rate sonic finish will sustain the spell, an effect powerfully expanded on the superb DVD version. --Sam Sutherland
documents the December 1999 tribute concert honoring reggae pioneer Bob Marley produced in Oracabessa Bay, Jamaica, and originally broadcast on the TNT cable network. Featured is a cross-section of major rock, pop, hip hop, and reggae talent including Lauryn Hill, Chrissie Hynde, Jimmy Cliff, Erykah Badu, Queen Latifah, Busta Rhymes, and Tracy Chapman.
For its DVD release, the producers have restored an hour of additional footage not included in the broadcast, including bonus songs performed by the Marley Family and a behind-the-scenes featurette. Exclusive DVD features also include a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound mix and a multi-angle presentation of the concert finale, enabling users to select from five separate angles.
1. Turn the Lights Down Low--Lauryn Hill
2. Waiting in Vain--Chrissie Hynde
3. Jammin'--Chrissie Hynde & Jimmy Cliff
4. No More Trouble--Erykah Badu
5. No Woman No Cry--Erykah Badu & Jimmy Cliff
6. Who the Cap Fit--Queen Latifah
7. War--Darius Rucker
8. Three Little Birds--Tracy Chapman
9. Rasta Man Chant--Busta Rhymes & Julian Marley
10. Kinky Reggae--Chris Robinson & Damian Marley
11. Get Up Stand Up--Ben Harper
12. Lively Up Yourself--Toots Hibbert & the Wailers
13. Trenchtown Rock--Tracy Chapman, Stephen Marley & Ziggy Marley
14. Rat Race--Eve & Stephen Marley
15. Africa Unite--Marley Family Band, the Melody Makers & the Wailers
16. Redemption Song--Lauryn Hill & Ziggy Marley
17. Could You Be Loved--Marley Family
18. Pass It On--The Melody Makers
19. One Love--FINALE (all performers)
Plus five bonus tracks.