Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Audio CDChange

on July 17, 2012
I have to admit it, I'm a major Citizen Cope fan -- and I honestly cam across him by mistake. His music kept popping up on Alice Smith's Pandora station, I swear it was like a life-long respect was being forged without my knowledge. Now, a mere four years later and I'm purchasing his albums without waiting to give them a quick listen and buying concert tickets before looking at my calendar (I WILL make it work!).

This morning I made sure I was up early to download One Lovely Day before heading to work -- as I knew I would have it playing on repeat....and I'm so not disappointed. It's like this new release picked up right where the Rainwater LP left off -- but it's not the same thing. Cope took Rainwater and pushed himself to the next level. And he knows it -- I saw him, with the full band, earlier this year and they were having a blast playing all the new songs.

I wish I could wax poetic about the and pretend I'm a professional reviewer -- but I can't and I won't. I can say that I'm on full listen number 5 and have yet to become bored. The title track is so pretty and the perfect way to start the album -- it's almost like my electronic boyfriend trying to cheer my up....and actually succeeding. I have to say though, the song that caught my attention is "Something to Believe In" -- this version is like the total opposite of the original with Debi Nova (which I like) and I can't stop listening to it....nope, it gets replayed multiple times.

So....this is just to say that I highly HIGHLY recommend purchasing this album, and also -- if you haven't yet -- go and see Citizen Cope while he's touring. You won't be disappointed.
on December 26, 2012
I bought this album right when it came out. I listened to it several times over the course of a few days and a car trip, and I haven't listened to it since. I am a big Cope fan. I have every one of his albums, and have seen him live about ten times. He is definitely one of those artists that excel live, and seems to do a different show every time.
But I hate to say it, but the albums have just been going steadily downhill. The songs lack the poetry and passion that they used to, and almost seem pop-like. The music just doesn't have the soul that his first few albums had. It's not bad, and it is still good music to chill out too, but I used to be able to listen to his old albums over and over, without getting tired of them. If you are a big fan, then it is worth giving this one a try, but don't expect the depth of his first two albums. Salvation is still one of my favorite all time songs, but there is certainly nothing like that on here.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
I've been a big fan of Citizen Cope for a while now. I pre-ordered this album and waited anxiously. I've gotten away from pre-ordering in most cases because of too many disappointments, but Citizen Cope felt like a safe bet. Sadly, this album has reminded me why I shouldn't pre-order albums. This is Citizen Cope, uninspired. I've spun the album many times, hoping to discover something unique and interesting. Compared with his early work, this album is forgettable. Not bad, but not great.
on February 13, 2013
Citizen Cope is certainly no stranger when it comes to blurring lines between genres. After all, it has become his trademark since he was a member of the early 90's band Basehead. After he parted ways with them for a solo career, he initially signed with Capitol Records. Unfortunately, the album he recorded ended up being shelved by the record label. A few years later, he would sign to the movie studio/functioning label DreamWorks Records. While he finally released his debut, the album went barely noticed. That would soon change when he went to RCA Records, where he would release his sophomore effort "The Clarence Greenwood Recordings". The move would prove to be successful, as he would gain a hit with his signature song "Bullet And A Target". In 2006, he would release his third album "Every Waking Moment"- which would serve as both his final album for RCA as well as his final album for a major label. He laid low for a few years and emerged with "The RainWater LP"- his first independent outing on his own label RainWater Recordings. 2012 saw the return of Citizen Cope with his fifth release within a decade "One Lovely Day"

As always, all of the songs are written and produced by the man himself. However, what's different is how noticeably subdued he is on his new album. He starts off the album with the title track "One Lovely Day", in which he looks forward to spending quality time with his significant other. On "Something To Believe In", he tries to remain optimistic about being in a relationship. On the acoustic ballad "Dancer From Brazil", he tells the story of being infatuated with a woman from a foreign country. He reminisces of a simpler time on "Back Then" and breaks the news to his girlfriend about his out of state trip on "D.F.W.". He tells of wanting to retreat on "Peace River" followed by the barely two minute track "For A Dollar". On the piano driven "Southern Nights", Citizen Cope enthuses about being happy and at peace. He gets into his trademark sound on "A Wonder" and closes the album with the ballad "Summertime". Overall, Citizen Cope's "One Lovely Day" is a decent offering from the multi-talented musician. While it isn't a bad album, one gets the feeling that he was on auto-pilot for most of the recording. It seems as if he's settled into his comfort zone and gotten complacent with his sound. Ironically, stepping out of his comfort zone was the thing that made him who he is. Hopefully, the complacency won't last for long.
on August 7, 2012
I've been listening to this cd almost non-stop in the last 4 days or so, waiting for the genius to leach out but it's just not happening.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, it's just not real good either. Citizen Cope did it to himself I guess, setting the bar high with his other albums, so by comparison this cd just doesn't seem very inspired. It has that laid back Cope groove, but there's just no depth to the songs and the lyrics seem almost phoned-in at times. If you throw it on in the background and aren't really listening you'll bob your head every once in awhile and such, but there just aren't any bright spots on here in my opinion... it has almost a b-side collection vibe. Songs that didn't make the cut on the last few cd's, but were worth getting out, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I normally wouldn't spend time throwing up a review for a 3 star cd, but with the other reviewers so far gushing over it, I just had to add another voice. Sometimes people automatically love a new cd by their favorite artist (radiohead's last cd for example) and don't look at it with perspective. I think if Cope fans step back a bit, they'll realize this isn't anything real special.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2014
...Always a Citizen Cope Album.

Clarence Greenwood's latest effort is pleasant to hear, with good production value and decent writing. But, it's chock-full of by now familiar tropes.

Cope doesn't stray too far from what he does well. If the listener likes the ascending chords, basic circle of fifths progressions, hip-hop tinged beats, and droning (in a good way) vocals of his earlier efforts, this fits right in.

Don't expect groundbreaking departures. Expect a Citizen Cope album.
on August 26, 2013
Clarence is a beacon receiving transmissions from the holy spirit. His words are the balm of Ilead. To see him live rates with a transcendental experience.
on February 10, 2014
If you like his other albums then you will like this one too, but it's not his strongest release. There are some quality tracks on the CD, but nothing that just floored me, but it follows his earlier works in style.
on May 17, 2013
This is great album. I love the heart and sole these guys put into there music. Would like a little more upbeat music that will get you singing though.
on August 5, 2012
I like all Cope's work. This one has a few standouts-- 1. Back Then 2. Southern Nights and 3. Dancer From Brazil
Great listen!