5.0 out of 5 stars Again and Again!
Ms. Hughey-- you've done it again. Thanks for brightening my day with your tales of every day life that we can all relate to. I can't wait for your next book and hope there are many more to come. I know I'll be buying them.
Published 23 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Keep Reading, It Doesn't Get Better
Published 26 days ago by Lauren Bigelow

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great read!!, January 21, 2013
I just finished reading One Menu at a Time and loved it! I'm a
big fan of series romance because I get to find out from one story to
the next about what happened to the characters in the previous book.
It's like being part of one big happy family.

I had lots of laugh-out-loud moments throughout the book, especially
over Bailey's funny moments. Those scenes were so reminiscent of my own
children's growing years. Although tense at times, I liked the
continuing development of Chase and Jamie's relationship and the way he
managed to hook her. I liked that Jamie stood her ground, and then
ultimately realized she could no longer fight it, and it melted my
heart.

The scenes in Carlucci's Bistro with the Italian mama were hilarious.

Finally, I'm no cook by any stretch of the imagination, but these
recipes were easy to follow. My family was thrilled to have something
other than Missolli's Pizza for dinner. I loved this book--you will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Again and Again!, January 9, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, January 6, 2013
This review is from: One Menu at a Time (Paperback)
I love this series!! This is the second book in the Chef's Toque series and it's a wonderful story about Jamie, the woman Cassie befriended in Dishing Up Romance. Jamie is working for Cassie in the Kitchen Widget and Cooking Club. That is until Jamie suddenly becomes guardian to her three year-old niece, Bailey, when her sister dies unexpectedly. Bailey is a wonderful addition to the story. Anyone who has children can really relate to the funny things this child does. She's hilarious and creates all sorts of havoc in Jamie's no longer orderly life.

But now that Bailey is around, Jamie doesn't think working the long hours in the Kitchen Widget is going to work out for Bailey or Cassie. Trying to emulate her sister's parenting desires of no babysitters, Jamie decides to open her own personal chef service so she can take Bailey to work with her. When that business doesn't go over and Jamie's checkbook is choking, she does what she has to do after being forced to touch Bailey's inheritance money. And that's where Renee comes in. She's Jamie's other sister and a bit of a know-it-all. She thinks Jamie needs to give Bailey a father--no single mother can take care of a child properly. Ha! A lame attempt to get Jamie married because Bailey never knew her father--he died right after she was born.

When Renee introduces Jamie to Chase Walker, a NASCAR driver who's been injured and laid up at his sister's house, Jamie is resistant. Especially when he says he doesn't want any bratty kids around. That sends Jamie off the deep end and she walks out. Realizing the error of his ways, Chase has a change of heart and makes nice. Jamie reluctantly agrees, but it's not what she wants to do. Taking care of a spoiled celebrity is not her idea of fun. But her overdraft account is spitting out other words.

Chase doesn't like being laid up and gives Jamie a run for her money, but does the burning desire between them ignite a flame, or does it send Jamie packing? Hmm, you'll have to read the book to find out. Recipes are yummy with more cute titles, like: Stupid Cupid Exotic Moroccan Chicken, Mission Impossible Poached Pear and Gorgonzola on a Cristini, just to name a few, and reading them in a different point of view is refreshing. Simply Scrumptious!

All I can say is this story is delightful and I can't wait for the next book in the series. Ms. Hughey, you've done it again. I'm one of your biggest fans! Looking forward to the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM! Decisions! Decisions!, January 21, 2014
Okay Carolyn...you did it too me again! Even though the main character isn't Italian like most of the rest of them, she is still a chef and has multiple mama hens trying to help her sort her life out and find a man. Between her niece that she's raising, a race car driver who's recovering and she's cooking for, add in meddling pseudo moms, a nagging sister and assorted well meaning friends and you have a GUARANTEED recipe for hilarity, chaos and great food! The path taken is not a straight and open one. It's more like a goat path that changes with every storm. I'm still trying to figure out which recipe to try first. Should it be "How Will I Know Tiramisu", " Mama Carlucci's Giving The Malocchio Penne all'Arrabiata" or "Just Breathe French Onion Soup"? OR... too many to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and flirty read!, April 9, 2013
This review is from: One Menu at a Time (Paperback)
Hughey's latest addition to the Chef's Toque series is fast-moving and a entertaining read, I really liked heroine Jamie from the start - she's honest and refreshing in her attitudes to life, families, work, and men. Chase is every inch the hero (his NASCAR career alone would excite this reader! and like little kid Bailey, I still refer to him as 'Zoom Zoom'). What I like most about this book is the honest portrayal of families. The complexities, the larger-than-life characters, and the way each member has a role to play has always been a fascination for me. Jamie's got her hands full as she tries to get through life and love, bringing us with her as she goes.

Try the recipes too (at the end of each chapter), they're awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Confident heroine, February 14, 2013
A heroine with attitude, a hero who doesn't give up once he has found the woman of his dreams, and great recipes! There is more going on than the romance, and it takes awhile for these two to get together, but what do you expect with strong-minded characters? If you like your romance sweet and subtle, this is a good pick.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Keep Reading, It Doesn't Get Better, November 30, 2014
Lauren Bigelow (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I forced myself to read the whole thing, because I kept hoping it would get better, as I enjoyed another one of her books. What a mistake. Infusing several different characters emotional turmoil into the recipes that break up the chapters is a terrible idea, as it's difficult to follow because the voice isn't always the same person even though only one person does the cooking. And how the two leads fell in love was so difficult to read, even for a person who has no trouble suspending their disbelief.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasted Time, December 19, 2012
I do not like to give negative reviews as some people seem to enjoy doing, but I had no connection to the characters in this book at all.
There is absolutely no chemistry between the characters at all. The main character Jamie is a Chef and she changes careers 4 times in a two week period. She is raising her 3 year old niece since her sister's death ( we never know what happened to the sister)and quits her first job to spend more time with her. Then within a week or two she is putting her in preschool.
She goes to work for this injured NASCAR driver and after two or three short and casual conversations he is "in Love" with her. No Chemistry!
Through the book there are passages of cooking instruction. So this is not bad although I kind of skip through most of it. I cook and I know when you are doing tasks like cooking it is a time for your mind to wander with thoughts, so this is okay. But then in one such passage I am having difficulty following and then I realize it is not the Chef Jamie's thoughts, but another character who has nothing to do with cooking. HUH??? There are even several of these passages with the man (Chase) having these thoughts mixed in with the cooking instruction. What??

I am sorry to have to give a negative review, because I know authors put their heart, soul and sweat into their works, but this one needs to go back in the oven and cook some more because it is not ready for consumption.

2.0 out of 5 stars pretty plain :/, May 1, 2014
Well this book consisted of three things. 1. Everyone telling Jamie to get married 2. Chase trying to get her to let him love her 3. Her complaining that everyone wants her married and denying the fact that she should be with Chase even though she loves him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun/entertaining read!, April 19, 2014
Really enjoyed this book and the others in this series. Lots of fun to read and I enjoy the recipes! Can't wait to try some!

One Menu at a Time
One Menu at a Time by Carolyn Hughey (Paperback - December 11, 2012)
$12.95 $9.99