One in a Million
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
In the summer/fall of 1996 (when this album was released), R&B and Hip Hop music was becoming very exciting. Dr. Dre had just left Death Row records, and Puffy's Bad Boy records was really heating up. Notable acts and their songs included: Blackstreet's "No Diggity", Keith Sweat's "Twisted", the New Edition "Home Again" reunion, 112's "Only You", and LL Cool J's "Loungin (Who do you luv?)" remix featuring Total.
That summer/fall, we also experienced a major tragedy - the passing of the late, great Tupac Shakur. Now in the summer/fall of 2001, we are dealing with the passing of Aaliyah, and the news hit this reviewer hard. I can remember dancing with friends at house parties back in 1994 to "Back & Forth". I also remember later that summer just loving both versions of "At Your Best", her second single - particularly the mysterious sound and video of the remix...
Flash back to 1996: I was a sophomore at the University Of California at Santa Barbara, and I'm listening to "One In A Million" in my friend's car - and we love it. Aaliyah's new sound was undeniable, and I'll try to describe it...
"Beats 4 Da Streets" is a Missy/Timbaland intro that flows right into "Hot Like Fire" - a delicate and mysterious street cut (later remixed into the fifth U.S. single).Read more ›
"If Your Girl Only Knew" was the first single (#11 on the Top 100) and features Timbaland rapping. It still sounds really contemporary, even though the sound has been copied by innumerable producers and artists. "One in a Million" is perhaps the best song on the CD, with Missy Elliot on background vocals and a great "chirping cricket" sound effect. Although it wasn't released as a single, it went to #25 on the Top 100 Airplay chart. The biggest song off the CD was the ballad, "The One I Gave My Heart To," which went to #9 and was certified for gold sales.
However, nearly every song on the CD is great - several more songs should have been released, particularly "Hot Like Fire" and the remake of Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" (with a rap by Slick Rick). "Choosy Lover" is another one of my favorites; a remake of an old Isley Brothers' song that has a great, laid-back groove that flips part-way through to become more urgent. Even though "One in a Million" was released back in 1996, I still really love listening to this CD. A real breakthrough that still sounds great: a real reminder of Aalyiah's tremendous talent.
1)Beats 4 da streets intro-THis is the best intro i've heard
2)Hot like fire-good song but they should have put the timbaland remix here.
3.One in a million-Excellent song!Highlight of the album.
4.A girl like you-Great song it grows on you.
5)If your girl only knew-Tight song.Really good beats.
6)Choosey lover(old school/new school)-A bit long and slow But the new school is tight!
7)Got to give it up- One word...WACK!The rest of the songs are good especially No.8-4 page letter,13.heartbroken,16.the one I gave my heart to,17-the outro is really tight! rip Aaliyah!
SONGS FROM THE ALBUM
2. Hot Like Fire (featuring Missy Elliott and Timbaland)- A single off the Album. *Okay Song*
3. One In A Million (featuring Missy Elliott)- Album's Title Track. *Great Song*
4. A Girl Like You (featuring Treach of Naughty by Nature)- *Great Song*
5. If Your Girl Only Knew (featuring Missy Elliott and Timbaland)- A single off the album. *Great Song*
6. Choosey Lover (Old School/New School)- A little too long! It should have been separated into two tracks. The old school part is boring, but the new school part's beats are great.
7. Got to Give Up (featuring Slick Rick)- *Annoying Song*
8. 4 Page Letter (featuring Missy Elliott and Timbaland)- A single off the album. *One of my favorite songs off the album!*
9. Everything's Gonna Be Alright (featuring Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins)- *Okay Song*
10. Giving You More- *Good Song*
11. I Gotcha Back- *Good Song*
12. Never Givin' Up (featuring Tavarius Polk)- *Great Song*
13. Heartbroken (featuring Missy Elliott)- My favorite song off the album! She should have released this.
14. Never Comin' Back- *Great Song*
15. Ladies in Da House (featuring Missy Elliott and Timbaland)- *Good Song*
16. The One I Gave My Heart To- A single off the album. *Great Song*
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love this album from my babygirl Aaliyah . I miss her so much tho !!Published 18 days ago by Amazon Customer
So happy I was able to purchase this album! I've been looking for it for a very long time!Published 29 days ago by Jessica Y. Macklin
Great CD, looked brand new, cd sounded brand new, happy with my purchase.Published 1 month ago by Pegs
Took a while but it's perfect.. Case is in good condition and the album is a masterpiecePublished 2 months ago by StudentOfMusic92