5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Debut CD
Published on February 1, 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment
I was first introduced to Mindy Smith when a bunch of friends took me to hear her play. AMAZING. I had been working on the idea that we are living in a great time of women singer/songwriters and gladly include Mindy in that group. Her live performance was so powerful and full of true unapologetic emotion and strength that I came right home and ordered this CD...
Published on January 11, 2005 by thatwardgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Debut CD, February 1, 2004
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
I first heard of Mindy Smith when I saw the video "Jolene" on a country music station while flipping through the channels on TV one night. The song hooked me with the smooth vocals and haunting sound. Mindy Smith has a wonderful voice and this, her first album, is much more folksy than country. The lyrics are all straight forward, and her subjects are of a wide enough range that you're likely to find at least a few that you can personally relate to your own life.
An overview of the songs:
Come to Jesus - I'm not a religious person, though I do have a spiritual side. This song still hits me in a personal place even with the religious overtones. Mindy Smith does a good job pulling it off without it sounding preachy at all. A smooth song that will make you feel watched over. It's one of my favorites off of the album.
Falling - This was the second song I ever heard by Mindy Smith, which I heard months ago on her website. A soft, sweet song about how love pulls you in from your troubles.
Raggedy Ann - Another slow melodic song, this one holds more of a sad tone than the others. "I'm just a little girl / I'm Raggedy Ann / making believe I'm happy." A song about feeling unnoticed and lonely.
Fighting For It All - This song picks up the pace. The title tells all - it focuses on fighting for the things you want, and the upbeat tempo of the song mirrors the purpose well.
Train Song - A folksy ballad about a lover waiting for a train to bring her man back. "I'm just wondering / I need to ask / is my sweet man on that train?" You can hear the worry in Mindy's voice at the possibility that her lover might choose not to return.
It's Amazing - A light, happy love song about how love has changed her for the better and set her free. "Can't you see / it's amazing what you do to me / took my heart and made me feel things I've never felt before."
Angel Doves - Another spiritual/religious song about God. This is one of the slower songs on the CD. Some lyrics are, "when it's hard for you to breathe, keep a clear mind," and "keep on believing God is soaring above a world that's running out of love." It's a pretty song, though it didn't hit me as hard as the first song on the CD.
Down in Flames - This one continues the slow, laid back tempo that seems to be prevalent through most of the CD. "I would tell you I was happy, if I wasn't so damn sad." A song about trying to keep your head up when all the little things seem to be out to get you.
Hurricane - This one's about heartache and the difficulty of moving on with your life once a relationship has failed. Mindy heartfully sings lines like, "I need a hurricane to straighten out this place."
Hard to Know - This one finally breaks the slow tempo feeling of the album. Her voice sounds more synthesized here, and it's fastest song on the album. It's a welcome change of pace, and it has a catchy tune. It's another religiously overtoned song about needing to pray to "break through to the light of day."
One Moment More - The last song on the album, and things slow done once more for it. The title of the album got its name from this song, a song about wanting to hold on to the one you love just a little longer before they have to go. Mindy seems to be imploring listeners to stay and listen a little while longer, and if you're in the mood for relaxing, spiritually fulfilling music, you'll probably do just that.
I definitely enjoyed this album, and think it's worth the purchase price. I would have enjoyed one or two more slightly uptempo songs, but this is great for relaxing and unwinding to.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best of 2004, February 24, 2004
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
This is truly a fantastic cd! I picked up this cd after hearing her perform live and it was immediately accesible. But the more I have played it, the more I love each and every song. There is simply not a lame song on the entire disc. Her voice is quite similar to Patty Griffin, and while comparisons are inevitable, she is no tag-along. She has already developed her own unique sound and style as a songwriter.

I have laughed at some of the other reviewers comments about the opening track "Come to Jesus." One said Mindy was "flakking for Jesus." I am not quite sure what that means, other than that the reviewer needs to get over his religious insecurities, but if her struggles through faith and death are flakking for Jesus then okay. Can a songwriter not honestly wrestle through her doubts and beliefs in an artistic way and not be lambasted by mentioning Jesus positively? Undefined spirituality it seems is fine as long as there is no real content to a person's faith, but as soon as any suggestion is made that Jesus might actually mean something definitive to someone then they are written off as some kind of back-door evangelist. This simply doesn't grasp the depth of Mindy Smith's poetry and unfairly creates a small box of lyrical content from which to choose. If you have seen Mindy Smith live, you will learn that she is certainly not attempting to convert anyone, but in my opinion, helping them think and investigate.

Anyway, purchase this disc (ven though it does mention Jesus!) And then see her perform live!

5.0 out of 5 stars A FEAST FOR THE EARS, February 4, 2004
David T. Steere, Jr. (Annapolis, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Wow!
"One Moment More" is a cd of songs about feelings--in the best sense of that word--as opposed to plots or stories (Dolly's "Jolene," of course, being the exception). Mindy's young and sounds young--again in the best sense of that word. She makes these feelings hit home strongly due to her absolutely amazing voice. It just carries one away.

It's also a quiet album. Lots of silence against which her voice soars. Listen to how often things get very quiet--this makes you listen to her even when she's singing softly. Beautiful arrangements--lovely acoustic guitar and mandolin work. Even the songs with prominent electric guitar have very interesting instrumentation.

Much of the emotional power of her voice comes from the way she sings certain phrases at certain times. Quite amazing. "we're falling" and "you went straight for my heart" from "Falling." The repeated "hey" in "Raggedy Ann." The way her voice goes sinkingly down in the verses of "Fighting for it All" and then soars back up in the choruses. The way she phrases the questions ("is my sweet man on that train?") at the end of each verse of "Train Song." The lovely sound of "over us" and ""running out of love" in the chorus of "Angel Doves." The conversational but heart-wrenching delivery of "little things that seem to be getting to me today" and "I'm doing what I can not to be getting down while I'm going down in flames" from "Down in Flames." The way she sings the words "only way" in the choruses of "Hurricane" and, especially, the very emotional final line, "no there's no sign of you anywhere." The way she pleads--without being mawkish--the entire, amazing chorus of the beautiful title song, "One Moment More."

The muffled, "I'm on the radio," synthesized sound of "Hard to Know" is the only weakness. Not at all necessary and this song does kinda break the spell.
Very interesting that the bonus cut of "Jolene" here is different than the one on the Dolly tribute album. Here, Dolly sings harmony. In the tribute cut, Dolly is not present. Her harmony work must have been added later. It is quite ironic, I suppose, that I much prefer the version without Dolly. She just doesn't add anything. Mindy has the vocal talent to keep one glued.
Mindy uses religious themes in a couple of songs in a way which doesn't cast any aspersions on non-believers--unlike the recent new cd by Rosie Thomas. These references are warm and sweet.

As far as categorizing Mindy, I'd say "singer/songwriter." The comparisons others have made to both Patty Griffin and Julie Miller are apt, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, ORIGINAL Singer/Songwriter., May 24, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
In a world of today, full of musical bubble-gum pop garbage such as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, or rap such as 50 Cent or Eminem, Mindy Smith is in a world all her own.
She renews our faith that original singer and songwriters who write heartfelt lyrics still exist. And she makes her presence known. When she sings a song on this album, her lyrics are so filled with emotion, you can FEEL the song. And that's what good music to me is. A song that you can relate to, or even if you can't, you understand what the song is about, and you can feel it in the music. All of the songs on this CD are great, and I can easily listen to them all, but with any CD there are favorites. Stand-out songs for me are:
Angel Doves - A very great moving song. I am not a very religious person (at all, really) myself, but you can't help but feel this song. It really hits you. - "Spreading hope out over us, like angel doves."
Down In Flames - A slow, depressing, melancholy type of song. You can translate it several ways...but either way you do, you'll get a great meaning from this song. It's great. "I need some direction, I need someone to listen, someone to tell me that they know, that life's so hard, it's the little things that seem to be getting me today, yeah...and I'm going down in flames, going down in flames"
Hurricane - Another slow, melancholy type of song. The echo in her voice after she says she heard the faint trace of thunder is lovely. The lyrics are great, a really well put together song.
Jolene - Although a Dolly Parton cover, for anyone who may have never heard Dolly's version, you'd think Mindy Smith wrote it herself. I prefer this to Dolly (or anyone else's) version. Mindy Smith's voice is great on this song, especially on the "Jolene's"
One Moment More - I like the acoustic version better, without all the background music, it's more sad and sentimental, but this version is great too. Probably my 2nd favorite on the CD. A great love song. "You've got to hold me, yeah, and show me now...give me, just one part of you to cling to...and keep me, everywhere you are."
Raggedy Ann - My favorite song on this album. The level of emotion Mindy is able to write through these lyrics and through her voice in this song is unlike any I've ever heard. There's no way to describe it unless you hear it for yourself. The way she says "hey" a lot, is also wonderful. "I'm just a little girl, I'm Raggedy Ann, making believe I'm happy, hey, Raggedy Ann, falling apart at the seams."
To sum it up, this album is one of the best EVER. Amazing for a debut CD. The hype is real for this CD. Mindy Smith is not like any other artist out there today, she's unique. And that alone is warrant to at least give this CD a listen, add to that the songs are well-written, real, touching songs is a nice little bonus. I can't wait for a follow up album to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Hope This CD Gets Airplay So Everyone Can Hear It!, January 28, 2004
Lisa Cacioppo (Metairie, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
I had high hopes for this cd before it's release, was worried about the hype, But whatever pre-release hype you've read about this artist is absolutely TRUE. I am blown away by these beautiful pieces of music. Mindy's voice, her songwriting, is so moving, so original. I am touched by all of her material, her presentation is awesome. This is one talented girl. If you were even thinking of buying this cd, do it - do it now. Do not wait. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor. If you love discovering new artists and new music, you will be so overwhelmingly surprised at the depth of this cd. I love every cut so much that it is hard to choose any one favorite. I only hope that Mindy gets some airplay so that people have a chance to hear this terrific music. Thanks, Mindy, for giving me a favorite new artist and cd. Now get on with the live shows - can't wait to see you perform these songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice, lovely songs, February 4, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
I was very impressed when I heard Mindy for the first time when she sang on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien". I got the CD right away and I love it. Her voice reminds me of Patty Griffin's and but she's very much her own person, with a soulful yet sweet sound. The songs are very hearfelt and lovely. I would recommend this to anyone, particularly to those who love un-slick, un-pretentious alt-country or folk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just an Alison Krauss Wannabe..., March 10, 2004
S. Bowling (Loogootee, Indiana USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
I first heard Mindy on a segment on National Public Radio. I was very impressed, so I bought the CD, and read a little online about Mindy.
OK, so you can't read about Mindy without seeing the name Alison Krauss. I absolutely adore Alison, but it's not fair to Mindy to apply the label. I focus very much on voices when I listen to music, and here's what I heard:
Alison Krauss - Well, OK, listening to "Train Song", you could easily be listening to Alison Krauss. Nobody does Alison better than Alison, but Mindy can sound pretty close on occasion!
Edie Brickell - Some of Mindy's pronunciation and styling reminds me A LOT of Edie Brickell's work. I don't think "Raggedy Ann" would be a song Edie would perform, but Mindy's singing in that song does sound very much like an Edie Brickell vocal performance.
Sheryl Crow - I'm not totally sure why I think this, but I hear a little of Sheryl in some of Mindy's performances. It seems especially noticeable in "Fighting for It All", which is a very strong, powerful song. Some of this might just be a result of the ever-present guitar, which gives some of Mindy's work the same flavor as Sheryl's better work.
Joan Osborne - Yes, Joan Osborne. I REALLY can't explain why I hear traces of Joan in Mindy's performances, but I do. There's just something hidden in Mindy's voice that reminds me of the power behind Joan's singing. Not many people should try to sing Joan Osborne songs, but I would like to hear Mindy try it.
In general, I am blown away by well-executed music that is kind of sparse and naked. Even the most layered songs on this CD have that feel to them, for some reason. There is clearly nowhere for Mindy to hide on this CD - anything she botches will be immediately evident. Mindy was clearly up to the task, as her voice covers a lot of ground and never misses anything.
I find it unfortunate that this CD will get categorized, probably as "Country". I don't mean that as a slam against country music, much of which I like. Rather, I'm just saying this CD really doesn't fit categories very well. People who bought the CD because of "Jolene" will consider it to be a CD of country music. People who listen closely to "Come to Jesus" will decide it fits in the Gospel Section. Both categorizations would be "correct", but neither one would be "complete".
Artists like Mindy don't come along every day. Her talent and hard work are evident, and history will be kind to her and to this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Confident Debut, October 25, 2004
B. Niedt (Cherry Hill, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
One can't help approaching this recording with skepticism, after hearing such superlatives as "she's this year's Norah Jones". But I must say, the accolades seem deserved. Mindy Smith has a sweet, clear (if a little nasal) voice that rings like a bell all through this recording, which is full of strongly-written songs about loss, faith and redemption. Several of the songs have a rather strong Christian message, but the quality of the music keeps it from being off-putting. "Come to Jesus" is particularly moving, in the way an Appalachian ballad would be. "Train Song", another highlight, has an anthemic quality, and the "hidden track", Dolly Parton's "Jolene" (with Parton on backing vocals) is also excellent. "Hard to Know" verifies that she can rock, too, though it's a little jarring after all those "softer" songs. Nevertheless, the comparisons to Norah Jones are not exaggerated: this is every bit as strong a debut from a female singer-songwriter who, like Jones, defies strict genre classification.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to more from Smith, June 14, 2004
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
From the moment I heard the song "Come To Jesus" I knew I was going to need to have Mindy Smith's CD in my collection.
Even if you're not a religious person (which I'm not) or even a spiritual person (I am, but it's buried deep), "Come To Jesus" will tug at you. The most evocative song on the album, it is both lush and melancholy, uplifting and somber. A perfect blend of glorious days filled with sunlit clouds and stormy ones with rough winds ripping at the trees. For this song alone it is worth the price of the CD. But Smith has more to offer, of course. "It's Amazing", with its gentle upbeat tempo, is another stand-out, and "Hurricane" has a reserve of emotion that is just lovely.
As I listened to the whole of the CD I kept thinking of Alison Krauss. Smith has a similar purity to her voice and has the same tendency to stay in an upper register, but she lacks the inherent sweetness that marks Krauss's voice, which sets her apart nicely from her peer. I'm sure there are other singers in the country/folk field to whom comparisons can be drawn, but for me, especially on the slower songs, Krauss was the one that stayed in my head. Comparisons aside, Smith's voice has a certain sound, a tone really, that lays across your skin like the softest, most comforting blanket.
It certainly seems to me that `One Moment More' is one of those albums that will distinguish a certain time and place, maybe even a person, in your life. In other words, it will become part of a memory. You'll listen to it years later and remember so strongly that a particular song was playing when you were driving down a solitary road in the middle of an autumn month and everything just seemed so right.
Listen to "Come To Jesus" and you'll see.

5.0 out of 5 stars See Her in Person!, October 21, 2004
Alane M. Downes "downfall4" (Harpswell, ME United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
If you listen to this CD, you may find some of it kind of ho-hum in the middle. It starts out strong in the beginning with "Come to Jesus" which stands out not because it's a song about Jesus, but because the melody is incredibly mesmerizing. It has timeless beauty and intensity. "Jolene" rivals "Come to Jesus" for its haunting simplicity. Mindy Smith doesn't just sing about a girl who wants to Jolene to stay away from her man. She becomes the girl. Most of the other songs meld together and need to be appreciated not as background music, but song by song when the listener has time to focus on the lyrics. Her voice does sound small and childish at times. Song #10 is my least favorite because her attempt at rock doesn'f fit into the flow of the CD. "One Moment More" is memorable on the CD, but if you have the opportunity to see her in person, you most likely will experience what I and many of the concertgoers at the State Theatre in Portland, Maine experienced - sheer perfection. She started out hiding behind her hair, almost waif-like in appearance, and did not appear very comfortable conversing with the audience. Several bluesy/jazzy numbers were passable and fun, but once she started into "Come to Jesus" and then "one Moment More" she truly captivated the audience. She told the audience how she had written "One Moment More" in 1991 when her mother was dying from cancer. (That makes me wonder how old she was when she wrote the song?) How do you describe a performance that is other-worldly? Her album can't even begin to do justice to the intensity of her concert persona. She deserves a live album.

One Moment More