One For The Money Movie Casting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 125 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2010 10:40:58 AM PST
Urs says:
Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014889.html?categoryid=13&cs=1) is reporting that Katherine Heigl will play Stephanie Plum. I am devastated. Fans of the series have been waiting for the One For The Money film adaptation. And now we get Katherine Heigl. Personally, I can't stand her. Additionally, she looks nothing like Stephanie is supposed to.

I must say, I'm not sure whom I would chose to play the part. I don't see Sandra Bullock, the popular choice, for Stephanie. I think I might like Jennifer Garner better.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 3:28:32 PM PST
Actually, Ms. Evanovich, herself, would have liked Sandra for the role. However, she sold the rights more than 15 years ago and Sandra has gotten older in the interim.
Sanda would have been great. The role calls for a woman who is self deprecating. I can't see Heigl pulling that off.
I couldn't see Jennifer Garner doing so, either.
It would be better to have an unknown in the role.

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 9:38:52 PM PST
Sarah says:
I have to disagree. Katherine Heigl is annoying at times, but i can see her as stephanie. She is the right age and she is kinda funny. She just needs to be a brunette. I hope to hear more about this soon and it will be out next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 8:17:35 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 3, 2010 8:18:03 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 8:21:45 AM PST
My wife is posting this: I like Katherine H. too, but not as Steph Plum. Not only is she not brunette , she doesn't have blue eyes; and she's too 'Hollywood'. I think Jenna Fischer, from The Office, would be so much better! She fits Steph's description- brown hair, blue eyes (maybe green, but better than brown), curly hair. Plus she seems a little clumsy too. I wish there was a way to get in touch with the producers of the movie so the book's fans could write them and state our 'concerns'. Even Janet's FaceBook page has a bunch of comments about how most of us don't think Katherine is right for the part. God only knows who would play Joe or Ranger...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 9:54:13 AM PDT
GWILCOX says:
I didn't like Katherine for the part either at first. I just watched The Ugly Truth, and she was pretty funny and quirky. I think with darker hair, and hair extentions/poofy-ness, she might pull it off.

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 8:03:58 PM PDT
B. Sego says:
I agree as well, Katherine doesn't need to play Stephanie Plum!!!! She doesnt look anything like her, even if she had brown hair. Sandra would be much better. I personally think Kimberly Williams Paisley (father of the bride) would be much better looks wise. Even Marisa Tomei, Zooey Deschanel, Jenna Fischer, Reese Witherspoon would have been better!!!!!!! Join the page on facebook, perhaps we can stop this!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AGAINST-KATHERINE-HEIGL-PLAYING-STEPHANIE-PLUM/366196738386

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 12:13:43 PM PDT
V. Morrell says:
Not a fan of Katherine either. But I think Daniel Sunjata is a good choice for Ranger. The Rock just isn't right

Posted on May 1, 2010 8:53:35 AM PDT
R. Wiggins says:
Here's my take
Ranger - Mark Consuelos
Joe - Bradley Cooper
Vinny - Steve Buscemi
Grandma Mazur- Ellen Albertini Dow (rapping grandma from The Wedding Singer)
Joyce Barnhardt - If Mark plays Ranger, Kelly Ripa could be Joyce

Posted on May 5, 2010 6:33:29 AM PDT
K. Conner says:
Daniel Sunjata - HOT, but I can see The Rock as Ranger and this guy as Joe.

Not sure why I'm so far behind on this, but definitely not feeling K. Heigl. Don't have a problem with her, just doesn't seem like a good fit. Plus, Steph's a little older, more like 36/7 than early thirties. She's just too white bread even with extensions and what not. Even Reese would be too white bread. I think Sandra could still pull it off.

Kelly Ripa should play Joyce just on principle! What about Lula? Queen Latifah? Mo'Nique?

Posted on May 21, 2010 11:14:57 AM PDT
Linda G says:
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heigl is not a good Stephanie Plum!!!!!!!
And the Guy picked for Morrelli?? WTF!! Are these people stupid? This movie is ruined already!!!

Posted on May 25, 2010 7:41:10 PM PDT
Shoe La La says:
I think the Sherry gal from The View would be the perfect Lula, or Monique. And what about Betty White as Grandma Mazur? She'd be perfect! Don't you think the rapping woman from The Wedding Singer might be a bit TOO old for that part? I'm trying to keep an open mind about Heigl as Plum, but it's not easy! She has her work cut out for her - pleasing all these die-hard fans! I'm liking the Ranger and Morelli guys though. Not who I had in mind, but I think they can pull off those parts. Can't wait to see this movie!!!!!!

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 5:48:29 PM PDT
I can see the guy they picked for Morelli... He at least seems to fit the physicality of Morelli. The guy they picked for Ranger is scrawny... I cannot imagine him bulking up enough to play Ranger right. I REALLY hope that this casting changes a little before shooting begins. It's Hollywood, and people drop out of casts all the time. We shall see...

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 9:02:00 PM PDT
How much worse can this get- it is absolutely a disaster of epic porportion.Worse than setting fire to Stiva's Funeral home.
Heigl as Steph? No way. No way.
She looks wrong. She's got zip talent. Why didn't they just get Pam Anderson- she'd be just as bad a fit.
They couldn't find a single Italian/American actor to play Morelli? No way is this man hot enough to be the ban of all females in the 'burg. He's a lump.
Daniel Sunjata? Sure. He's definately Cuban American and built like a former Special Ops.
Does he even have a muscle on him somewhere? Ranger is supposed to be handsome. This guy, no way.
Did anyone involved with this film even READ one of the books?
I've loved this series from page one of One For The Money. This travesty of a film is why some books are better left as books and the readers should use their imagination.

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 10:47:48 AM PDT
FLFictionFan says:
Queen Latifah would be a GREAT Lula. She is who I always picture when I read the books. I don't know his name, but I always pictured the African-American guy from Criminal Minds as Ranger. Ranger is supposed to be darker skinned and I think he could pull it off. He's got that dangerous look and the bulked up body to pull it off for sure. I've never even heard of the guy they've got cast as Ranger now. I've looked at his pictures online and he's cute enough, but doesn't look like he's got the bulk to carry it off. Actors change their bodies for roles all the time, and hopefully that's what this guy is doing. The books are just so popular and there are so many of them, as fans we are so invested in these characters. It is going to be a really tough job for any actors to pull off.

I think it's a little harsh to call it a travesty of a film when a single frame hasn't even been shot yet. If it's awful, I'll just re-read the books for the umpteenth time, but I'm going to keep an open mind and I'll be there in line the day the movie opens for sure!

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 11:04:29 PM PDT
K. Shattuck says:
I have been a fan of these books for years and all three of these people are definitely not who I would have picked. Sandra Bullock would have been great for this role a few years back, Rachel Bilson would be adorable also, if a little young. Katherine Heigl? Ugghh, no. And neither of these guys appeal to me either. I always pictured someone like David Boreanaz as Morelli. Very few guys can pull off calling a girl "Cupcake" with a straight face. And Daniel Sunjata just does not look mysterious or dangerous enough to be Ranger. I am bummed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 9:20:57 PM PDT
Heather H. says:
OMG...The guy from Criminal Minds would be AWESOME as Ranger. I am so disappointed in their choice. This guy looks like Ranger's scrawny little brother. Not the smokin' hot guy that I've always pictured.

I think Jason O'Mara could possibly make a good Morelli, they just need to make him more "Italian Stallion" looking. He's a good actor.

Katherine Heigl...just...no comment...

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 11:37:24 AM PDT
S. Tobin says:
Zooey Deschanel would be perfect as Stephanie. There are so many choices for Morelli and Ranger...I don't think they looked hard enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 9:32:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2010 9:37:12 PM PDT
Chelly D says:
How about MoNique from push as Lula. I think she would be even BETTER!!! Let get Eva Mendez or Nia Vardalos as Connie;.... is Sally Fields wrong as Stephanies' Mom??

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:01:21 PM PDT
V. Irwin says:
I have to say I'm EXTREMELY upset with casting for this movie so far. Sandra Bullock would be a perfect Stephanie, Queen Latifah/Lula, Betty White/Grandma Mazur, Steve Buscemi/Vinnie and either Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds or Dwayne Johnson for Ranger. I think Keanu Reeves could have a shot at Morelli, he works well with Sandra and I think he could pass for Italian with the dark hair/dark eyes combo. I probably won't waste the money to see this movie in a theater with it's current cast............I might rent it once it comes out on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010 5:30:51 PM PDT
A. Parssinen says:
I don't think Katherine Heigl will be as bad as everybody is saying. All I'm really hoping for is to see Betty White as Grandma, Lynda Carter as Mrs Plum and Harrison Ford as Mr. Plum. Wonder Woman and Indiana Jones, two of Steph's favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2010 4:18:56 AM PDT
C. Scamby says:
what about patrizio buanne?

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 3:39:50 PM PDT
i think the casting will work. ever hear of make-up???? looking forward to the movie!

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 11:09:48 AM PDT
I think that Sandra Bullock could still pull it off and I really like Jason O'Mara but I always pictured Johnny Messner as Morelli and Dwayne Johnson as Ranger. I can see Joe Pesci as Vinnie but in my mind it was always Saverio Guerra. With the cast they have right now it seems more like a made for TV movie not something you would see on the big screen and as much as I love the books I REALLY wanted to see a big screen worthy movie. I might not pay to see it at the theater but I will rent it...

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 10:35:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2010 10:47:36 PM PDT
why does everyone think that Sandra bullock would be "perfect" as stephanie?? I mean, you gotta feel sorry for her with her recent marriage troubles and what she has been through but come on people...seriously, that's not a reason to cast someone in a movie. She may be America's sweetheart for her tragic public life but she is way too old to pull off Stephanie Plum. Maybe if she was still in her prime like when she did the movie speed but she is like mid-late 40s now. She couldn't pull it off at all.

They originally cast Reese Witherspoon as Stephanie's character. ICK!! She has blond hair, a country accent and and doesn't even come close to matching the physical descriptions of stephanie...the only thing she had that was promising was the blue eyes. When Katherine Heigl took the lead as Stephanie I thought it was an odd choice and she wasn't really right for the role. But she is quirky, she's been in some comedy so she knows how to work with the humor aspects, and she dyed/cut her hair to fit the part. I think she could be promising, don't judge how the movie will turn out when you haven't seen it yet.

Now, Jason O' Mara for Morelli? Not a good fit. This guy is Irish, light hair and is definitely not handsome. It would take A LOT of work to make him look like a hot buff Italian cop. I think someone like Mario Lopez would have been a better choice because when I picture Morelli, it's similar to him. I think the guy they cast as ranger is great. He is cute and he is the right nationality. The only criticism is that he needs to bulk up the muscle because when I compare Morelli and Ranger, Ranger is a lot bigger and has a lot more bulk. The Rock would have been a good choice for ranger and Daniel Sunjata as Morelli, but it is what it is now.

Sheri Shepherd is a good fit for Lula although I would have never thought of her at all over the obvious Mo'nique or Queen Latifah divas. I haven't been able to really pick out a good Joyce so I'm anxious to see who they cast. Grandma Mazur should definitely be Cloris Leechman or Betty White...they are funny old ladies and crazy (which is basically grandma mazur in a nutshell).

When I think of Vinnie, I always pictured Gary sinise (Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump) for some reason, although he is way too old now. He just has the weasel type face to me i guess. They have already cast Vinnie and Connie...I've seen pictures of them online but I don't remember their names. I know the guy who is playing Vinnie hasn't been in much but in my opinion he will probably pull off a good Vinnie. He's got the tall skinny physique and a long skinny weasel face. Connie is basically an unknown actress so I don't know much about how she will pan out.

It's usually very difficult to make a movie adaptation as good or better than the books and since Janet Evanovich sold all the rights to One for Money in the 90s to a movie production company, she has no say so in any part of the casting, screen adaptation, producing or directing. She will be a bystander just like the rest of us. The bar has been set extremely high for this movie due to the dedicated fans who have been dreaming about this film to come to reality...hopefully it won't disappoint and actors do their homework. I am very excited and will definitely be going to see this movie regardless!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  94
Total posts:  125
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) (Stephanie Plum Novels)
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1) (Stephanie Plum Novels) by Janet Evanovich (Mass Market Paperback - June 2002)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,406)