5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
Published on June 5, 2005 by Allyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Free Verse?
Really a quick read. It definitely was a decent good but the whole free verse writing style I don't get. That being said I think there could have been a bit more the story.
Published 10 months ago by Godiva

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, June 5, 2005
This review is from: One Night (Hardcover)
Gabe is a brash teenage guy who steadfastly ignores the pain of his past and seemingly lives only to toy with girls at parties. Helen is a serious, smart girl who wants to be a plastic surgeon and is uncomfortably aware of her previously deformed face. By chance, the two meet at a party that Helen reluctantly went to with a friend. Somehow, Helen and Gabe connect emotionally in an almost magical way and she is pregnant before the night is over. Helen is forced to deal with a life that changes each day in frightening and awe-inspiring ways.

Yes, this book is written in free verse. But as someone who usually shuns poetry, I can say that this style resulted in some of the most mind-blowingly moving images I have ever encountered in a novel. "One Night" is a quick read, composed of many one-or two paged poems that are each meant to chronicle a particular event or feeling in the lives of Helen, Gabe, and those connected to the two main characters. The poems vary in length, yet Wild writes them in such a way as to make every single word count. With surprisingly few words, she captures Gabe's desolation, Helen's powerful spirit, the upheaval the pregnancy causes, and the pain of labor. Wild is able to write in a way that will keep teens reading, but also to express controversial issues and wrenching emotions in ways that would make great authors proud. This is one of those books that you "travel" through with a racing heart, wanting to absorb every word of each poem, yet rushing ahead to find the next stunning line from this author's pen. With its simplicity yet depth and its hopeful ending, "One Night" is a book that will leave an impression.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Night, September 27, 2006
This review is from: One Night (Hardcover)
Gabe is bored with the typical girls he's always with and wants something more. When he meets Helen he finally finds a girl who doesn't just see his pretty looks and wants to know the real him. But after one night together he ignores her and refuses to answer her phone calls.

Helen is pregnant. Her parents kicked her out and Gabe wont answer the phone. She doesn't know what to do, but she will do anything to keep her baby.

One Night is a great story. It's written in poems and it's a pretty quick read. I recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lesson in each character learned, November 4, 2009
This review is from: One Night (Hardcover)
This book doesn't follow the normal style of writing. It is written in free verse as they call it in the big book world. I never read a fiction book that was written this way so this was new to me. For this book, the style worked. We got to see the story unfold from different points of views. This was a powerful read for young adult and adults. Everyone knows at school there are different crowds. You have the stoners, the drinkers, the popular kids, the geeks, and so on. In this book you will find different kids from different perspectives, yet they all fit together. We have the teenage pregnancy story that we hear about around town and the struggle for young parents. I was deeply moved by this book and I am already passing it to my teenage daughters to read. The author did a wonderful job with free verse and I hope that teens everywhere will read this and take it to heart. There is a lesson to be learned in each characters story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and beautiful, March 4, 2009
Christine (Durham, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Night (Mass Market Paperback)
Like some of the other reviewers, I was a bit skeptical about a novel in free verse, but this was one of the most moving, evocative bits of literature I've read. The author does an amazing job of painting fully realized portraits of the characters and their situations using remarkably few brush strokes, so to speak. Each carefully crafted line matters.

In fact, I think this story works better in verse than it would in prose. Many of the characters have really dismal personal situations, which could make for some heavy slogging in prose form. Yet, overall the book is one of hope and change. It's really worth a read.

My only complaint is the cover, which makes one expect a sappy teen romance, when really it's so much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars could be better, July 14, 2014
This review is from: One Night (Kindle Edition)
If this story wasn't written in a poem like way it would have been way more enjoyable. I found it hard to follow in some spots because of this. It also jumps around quite a bit. One minute you're with the boy, then the girl, then a random friend. Could be way better if written in a different way with more story to it. Not a fan,

3.0 out of 5 stars Free Verse?, January 14, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Kept my attention but..., December 26, 2013
This review is from: One Night (Kindle Edition)
the book kept my attention but I found my self wanting more of something..more conflict more tension more details more info on the night it happened.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 21, 2012
This review is from: One Night (Kindle Edition)
The book was not as good as I thought it would be. It was written in poetry form which was fine. The main characters hardly interacted with each other. At the end of the book I was thinking...THAT'S IT?!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, November 20, 2011
This review is from: One Night (Mass Market Paperback)
When I read this book, I was immediately entranced. The topic of discussion in this book tugged at the very bottom of my heart. The girl is this book reminds me of well, me. Everything that happened to her happened to minus the prrgnancy. Awesome book. Definately recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not A good book!, November 26, 2012
This review is from: One Night (Kindle Edition)
This Book was not good! It was just weard. It would have been a great story plot if it was put together right!

One Night
One Night by Margaret Wild (Mass Market Paperback - August 8, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01