5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Heart
Published on February 16, 2005 by David S. Jenkins

3.0 out of 5 stars "ROD STEWART" ON ICE
Published on December 26, 2004 by Shaun Tatarka

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Heart, February 16, 2005
This review is from: One Night Only - Rod Stewart Live at Royal Albert Hall (DVD)
Others have described the details of the show so I won't bore you except to say that if you're a Rod fan, especially one like me who's loved his work for (groan) over 35 years, I'll just say that... THIS ONE'S GONNA FLOOR YA. Just a fabulous performance (and for once, consistently great camerawork and great editing.) But I do want to tell you about one song, one very special moment. As we know, late one night a thousand years ago Long John Baldry discovered Rod as he was singing in a lonely train station, and took him under his wing. Rod's returned the favour big time. Imagine if you will being a very young woman busking on the streets of Glasgow... and one week later descending a beautifully lit grand staircase to the stage of the Royal Albert Hall to sing "I Don't Wanna Talk About It" on live national TV with Rod Stewart. God, how this girl keeps it together is beyond me, but she does, she in fact KILLS. It's an exquisitely beautiful, deeply moving, very human moment. A great moment of artistic generosity on Rod's part, and a lump-in-the-throat moment for the viewer as Amy Belle experiences what must have been the peak moment of her life. It's unforgettable, and there wasn't a dry eye in this house I can promise you. Oh, and any Rod fan who's hesitant about this American Songbook stuff, not to worry, his performance of these old chestnuts is fabulous, as though they'd been written for him or by him. And the final number, "Sailing," is a knockout. I think this DVD simply backs up what I've always maintained, which is that Rod is the greatest solo act of our generation. Rod, if you're reading this, a million thanks for all the pleasure over five decades, all the unforgettable shows, from a little kid from the Boston Tea Party...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rod Stewart DVD ever!!, December 7, 2004
Tom Melnyk (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This is absolutely the best Rod Stewart DVD so far.The mix of his classic material and material from his "American Songbook" series is great; 12 classic Rod songs & 5 "American Songbook" songs.

The video is stunning and the audio is crystal clear. You have a choice of 2.0 stereo or 5.1 surround. Both are great.

Special guests on this extravaganza are Ronnie Wood, Chrissie Hynde, and a Scottish busker named Amy Belle (a future star?).Rod's girlfriend also appears in a stunning role on one of the songs.

Overall, a fantastic show with rousing audience participation to boot.

I highly recommend this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Performance, April 2, 2005
Anthony Nasti "Tony" (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Rod Stewart has been a consistently amazing live performer since the 1970s', but this concert at the Royal Albert Hall may be the single greatest performance of his career. Never have I seen such a consistently entertaining live dvd, with great sound and camera work to boot.

Featuring 17 breathtaking Rod classics, this dvd never fails to deliver. Whether he's wailing his way through to "Stay With Me", pouring his heart into "You're In My Heart", crooning out the timeless "American Songbook" tracks or showing his tender side on "I Don't Wanna Talk About It" (sung with a brand new singing talent discocvered by Rod, Amy Belle).

The whole dvd is a highlight as a whole, but forced to pick one performance as the dvd's high point, I would have to go for "Hot Legs". Rod just rocks the hell out of this one, proving that even at 60 he still hasn't lost his youthful energy. My only wish is that he performed "Some Guys Have All The Luck" and "Addicted To Love" separately. They're great as a medley, but I feel they'd work even better on their own.

Overall, a stunning live performance that only a performer like Rod can provide. My advice is to go out and buy this amazing dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rod and Amy Belle Blew Us Away!, May 7, 2005
Track 15 (I Don't Want to Talk About It) on this DVD is fantastic.

Everyone (Friends and Family) who has seen this DVD has simply raved about the fresh new talent of Amy Belle and the way that Rod has plucked her from obscurity and put her into the spotlight of this performance.

Say what you will about Rod's gravelly voice, but the overall presentation on this DVD is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAbulous and uplifting, December 21, 2004
Vincent Urbanic (Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
An absolute must for any Rod Stewart fan. It is one of the best concerts I've seen. Sound is great. Camera work is great.
The venue is absolutely perfect. The crowd is in to this concert 100 percent. I've never written a revue before, but I noticed there were no customer reviews and I just have to tell everyone that they won't be sorry for purchasing this concert. It's worth every penny. Even people who aren't Rod Stewart fans will love this.

3.0 out of 5 stars "ROD STEWART" ON ICE, December 26, 2004
There is a moment in this DVD, during "Reason to Believe" when Rod Stewart takes the mic and growls "Knowing that you lied--straight faced while I cried!" What make it special is that the singer uses that great death howl that you can feel right in your very soul. It is what has made Rod Stewart a huge star and one of many things that has made him a tremendously exciting live performer. The problem is, that after his throat surgery four years ago, that growl is rarely heard in concert anymore. Ever since the surgery, Rod sings all uptempo numbers from Maggie to Hot Legs as if he's afraid to cut loose, like he may do further damage to the pipes. He still has it --you can hear it on certain numbers but more often than not, Stewart has adopted a "wimpy" style of singing that disappoints those of us who remember the pre-surgery live Rod. One does not notice it on the ballads as much (though some of them sound weak as well when he wimps out.) so he can still get away with the Great American Songbook.

However, that major complaint aside, those of us who have made ROD STEWART a second religon, are willing to forgive the old boy almost anything--after all, he's entertained us so long and so well, how could we not?-- and the Stewart charm is so prevelant throughout this concert, that it's STILL enjoyable. It's almost like ROD STEWART ON ICE--A CELEBRATION of a career, not quite a rock concert in the sense of what Rod could do just five or six years ago, but still a rock-like spectacle produced by a lovable rogue who has survived so much that I would imagine anyone willing to give Rod the benefit of the doubt, will give into the irrepressible wit and charisma and enjoy this show. ALSO--Rod has once again, as he has for the past 20 years or so, surrounded himself with fantastic musicians--and all of them are showcased here. They are not the Faces of course, but they aren't meant to be. (Plus you get to see his current way-too-young-for-him blonde--Penny Lancaster--prance around in a Scottish plaid mini skirt, threatening to play the bagpipes. At 6'1 and drop dead gorgeous, it's worth the price of the DVD alone. wink wink.)

SO--Rod fans will love it, it is currently the best Rod live DVD available (much better than the bloodless, joyless Songbook DVD and more complete than the great Storytellers show) but this will not gain Rod any new converts. For that we will need a multi-disc set that chronicles Rod Stewart at his peak as a live performer, from his days with the Faces in the early 70s to 1998's great "New Boys" tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars All time bestDVD concert, September 1, 2005
N. Bonura (San Francisco, Ca.) - See all my reviews
Rod Stewart at his all time best. Fantastic back up solo musicians. One of the most poignant moments in the concert was when he announced the appearance of Amy Bell: a young lady he found "busking" on the streets of Glasgow. This was her first professional appearance, decending a grand staircase to the stage of The Old Albert stage to screaming fans to do a duet with the greatest rock and roller of all time! It brought tears to my eyes. I hope as a result we will be able to buy a DVD of Amy in the near future. Fabuluous.

Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars A must!, May 31, 2006
Youri (Moscow, Russia) - See all my reviews
This show was shot at Royal Albert Hall in the end of 2004 and edited to about 90 minutes of DVD time, leaving 17 songs out of 25 from the original show (plus biography and countdown to the show documentary. There are 12 classics (including "Stay with me" with Ronnie Wood) and 5 standards from "American songbook" trilogy ("As Times Goes by" performed with Chrissie Hynde of Pretenders). All in all, it's a wonderful DVD - great show and excellent quality of audio and video. At 59 Rod is still a great entertainer, and his backing musicians are very good. The audience is just fantastic and is ready to sing along with Rod all the time (sometimes he even has to tell that they can not start to sing before him).

One of the best live DVDs I've ever seen. Highly recommended to all music lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rod Does it Again !!, August 17, 2005
As a long time Rod fan, I was extremely impressed with this DVD. I had seen the Great American Songbook Concert last year & wasn't expecting what I saw...but I LOVED IT!! And this DVD takes me back there. The audio & video are superb. Even after his throat surgery, Rod sounds great to me, still the "whiskey & crushed glass" voice I remember from way back. I'd also purchased the "Stay with me Ronnie" DVD, which isn't even in the same class as this DVD. Whether you are a fan of "old Rockin' Rod" or love the old classic tunes, this one's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars An iconic force in the realm of popular music!, June 7, 2008
With an undeniable bullet proof charisma, Rod Stewart made an overwhelming recital, blending appropriately his well known hits along these three decades and his new tendency "Great American Songbook", classics at the legendry Albert Hall in London.

The final overcome could not be better. You will really feel the impressive energy displayed in the stage and believe me, there is not a minor piece, the musical supports and the special guests Ron Wood in the guitar in two tracks - "Stay with me" and "Maggie May/ Gasoline alley" - and the presence of Chrissie Hynde in "As time goes by" and then Amy Belle in "I don't want to talk about it."

And finally you will realize how the audience loves and admires him, spelling with and joining him in several themes of undisputed level.

He has earned a special status in the temple of the great ones among the musical legends.

You really should not miss it. Absolutely recommended.

One Night Only - Rod Stewart Live at Royal Albert Hall