Published on July 16, 2010 by Etana

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh.
I read a lot of Young Adult lit. I say that I read it because I teach high school students and it helps me keep in touch with them, but really, I just enjoy the genre.

Published on May 29, 2012 by vox libris

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Adventure Posed to Sweep Away Those That Can Handle it's Partial Reality, July 16, 2010
Etana (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Barnholdt's latest novel is a stylish, fun, quick read that will take you through one night that will change Eliza's life. After Eliza's notebook (a place where she writes lists of her greatest fears) is taken by a fraternity of boy's, she is blackmailed into spending an entire night participating in a series of dares in order to win it back. Meanwhile, Eliza is still struggling with her feelings for her ex-boyfriend, whose motives she is never quite clear on.

At times throughout the novel, I feel as if Barnholdt struggles with the 'Gossip Girl' syndrome of teen books, allowing the characters of her novel to gallivant around the Boston, without substantial consequences for their actions. Teen girls own apartments without parent supervision, can get into night clubs without a problem, and can even get arrested by the police for possession of marijuana but are still able to get bailed out and sneak away from their parent's supervision within an hours time. In this way, "One Night That Changes Everything," is more about a teen girl's fantasy life then the way life actually is these days.

Despite the entire novel taking place in about twelve hours, Barnholdt is able to keep the pace of novel moving, which serves to distract the reader from the more unrealistic elements of the plot. The main character's in the novel are endearing, and the relationships between them feel true to high school's dramatics. Ultimately, Barnholdt's story is much like a dream, for both the characters involved and the reader, who will feel as if they just lived an exciting adventure of a moonlite night, where nightmares can turn into fairy tale endings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh., May 29, 2012
vox libris (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I started this book on the drive to work (my son drove, so let's dispel the panic that I read while driving. I WISH I could!) and finished it that night, after supper, after dishes, after kid stuff. It's a fast, breezy read, but cute. I think I might have gotten a little teary-eyed even, but then again, I am guilty of fully investing myself in just about every book I read.

High school junior Eliza has had her precious journal, in which she writes down all of her fears, and to add to those fears, she is afraid that her ex-boyfriend, Cooper, has it. To get back the journal, she has to perform several of her fears, and Cooper seems to be behind it all. So for one night, she and two of her friends attempt to fulfill the tasks and get back her journal.

Not the most fully-developed characters, and not a story that expects you to ask a lot of deep questions, but One Night that Changes Everything is fun and silly. Silly in a good way, I guess. I found myself wanting more, though. More Cooper, particularly, because he seemed very one-dimensional. Eliza is annoying, but in a very real, teenage girl kind of way. You get to know her, but her friends, Cooper and his friends are too flat.

Published on cupcake's book cupboard. @VivaAmaRisata

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Teen Read, March 18, 2011
What would you do if you lost your notebook that told everything you were too afraid to do? What would you do if someone (or a group of someones) had your book and started making you do the things you fear? I'm not talking things like riding a roller coaster or holding a spider. I'm talking about asking the cutest guy you can find to dance with you or telling your sister something horrible that you did against her.

This was a very quick read. I read it in one night. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The writing style was not one I usually like, as it was written from the main character's perspective. She is a teenager, and she talks like a teenager. I know this should appeal to teenagers, as that is who it was written for, but sometimes I just can't get past that. Thankfully that wasn't the case with this book. I was too interested in finding out what was going to happen to her next, what embarrassing or painful thing she would have to do, what crazy complication was going to come up for her or her friends. Add to that a cute little love story, and you have a fun teen read.

I do have to point out that there is some harsh language thrown in (you know, 4 letter words), there is drug use and lots of underage drinking, and there are some pretty unrealistic situations. Still, many of those unrealistic situations turn out to be very comical. Also, the ending might seem a bit unrealistic or overly cheerful, but it wouldn't have been such a cute story otherwise.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sends a bad message, November 4, 2012
I read a lot of YA novels. I wasn't sure I would like this one but I picked it up at the library and gave it a whirl. I don't need my books to be clean and proper all the time. I like gritty characters, realistic situations, and I understand that people make mistakes. Especially teenagers. But for me this book left a bad taste in my mouth.

(mini-spoilers)

Cooper and Eliza were dating, very seriously, until one day she discovers that he is only dating her as part of an initiation rite into their school's all-male secret club. While I could maybe understand and forgive that on some superficial level, the paper Eliza describes as proof of this set-up has POINTS listed for every sexual activity (it only lists kissing is worth 5 points but you get the idea).

So no part of their relationship was real. It couldn't have been. Because Cooper was constantly reporting back to his friends exactly what he and Eliza were up to sexually. And yeah Eliza's mad about it but SHE STILL WANTS HIM BACK? Say what? You mean the guy who took your personal experiences and told a group of about a dozen or so jerks and you still want to date him?

There's this thing called a BACKBONE, Eliza. Get one for yourself. And at the end, she forgives him, of course. And gets back together with him.

This is not a book that I would want my daughter to read. At no point does Cooper ever confess, stand up to Tyler to protect Eliza, or really apologize for anything he's done. He thinks that by standing on a stage singing Justin Timberlake that'll make up for the pain he's caused.

So on that level I think the book just isn't balanced properly. Because Eliza's "dares" throughout the novel are really just kind of piddly stuff (Kiss a guy, dance with a guy, sing in public) all against the background that she was a sexual object for her boyfriend and, vicariously, his friends. There's something jarring about the juxtaposition of that. The calculated predatory nature of the points system versus the attempt at romantic comedy dares.

And at one point in the book Cooper flat out LIES to Eliza and tells her exactly what she wants to hear. "After a while, I forgot the reason I started dating you because I really, really liked you."

Really? He forgot? WHILE HE WAS REPORTING BACK HOW MANY POINTS HE EARNED AFTER EVERY DATE?!!!!

I'm not much of a feminist. I swear I'm not. But I think relationships can't really be healthy without a modicum of respect and honesty between both people. The fact that Cooper continued to lie throughout their relationship is just wrong. And that he KEEPS lying after he's caught so he won't seem like such a bad guy.

Look I know people make mistakes. But to KEEP MAKING them the way Cooper did, that's not a mistake anymore, hon. That's calculated. Eliza was just a way to get into the 318 secret society and not much was made of the reasons WHY Cooper wanted to get involved, agreed to hurt a girl to secure his membership, and remain involved even after he's busted.

I mean what was he getting out of being in the 318's? Cooper didn't want to go to Brown, he was relieved when they rescinded his admission. So it's not like he joined, found out they were a-holes and Tyler said, "Look buddy, you're one of us now and if you back out we'll make sure you don't go to Brown."

It's not like Cooper is poor. He's not a scholarship kid who needs the connections of wealthy families later in life to succeed. He drives a freaking BMW.

So Cooper basically joined a band of bastards, knew they were hurting and humiliating girls for fun, and never did anything to quit or stop them. Great catch, Eliza. Really. Actually, I was wrong. They're perfect for each other. Neither one of them has a backbone. I would not want my daughter reading this book, that's for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Good..., December 30, 2010
I read this book in Pulse It, because I don't really like to buy romance books that are just romance (unless they are Nicholas Sparks or classics). I read it in one day, but the ending was cliche. I know that I wouldn't have liked the book if it hadn't ended that way, but still. I liked it, but I wouldn't read it again like other books I've bought.
I liked that it was creative, and that Eliza finally does everyhing (well not everything) that she had always wanted to do, but I give it three stars. I recommend it to anyone who likes teenage adventures and teenage romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Night That Changes Everything - 4 Stars, November 1, 2010
One Night That Changes Everything was a cute and entertaining story about overcoming your fears and second chances.

Our main character Eliza is faced with a huge problem. She's misplaced her notebook and can't seem to find it. That wouldn't be a big deal, except the contents tell of every fear she has ever had - emotional, physical, the whole gambit of fears since she was younger. In comes a call from the one person she never wants to speak to again - her ex-boyfriend Cooper who tells her he's got the notebook and just where to meet him to get it back.

Set over the course of a single night, it takes on a slight hint of Nick and Norah's Infinite Play list as Eliza and her best friends travel all through the city to try to complete task after task in order to not only get Eliza's notebook back, but to keep some of the secrets.. well, secret.

With flighty friends, Eliza finds herself stuck with the one person she didn't want to be near and over the course of the night she has to fight through some scary and embarrassing challenges. Some I don't think I'd ever want to face. Yet in the end it was nice to see that not only did Eliza learn a lot about herself and her fears, but she changed because of them.

All in all One Night was a quick and entertaining read with characters that could easily be real people. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Being that we all have fears of some sort I think that most would find this story easy to relate to and the lightness, humor and entertaining characters would make this a great summer read that many will be able to enjoy. I'm looking forward to reading more from Barnholdt in the future.

For more info and reviews please visit my Book Review Blog here - [...].

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, May 26, 2014
Great book. The girls in the book really remind me of myself and my friends. Very real book. I recommend for girls ages 13+.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 23, 2014
Great fast-paced read. I laughed out loud many times. I rooted for Copper & Eliza throughout the whole book and I loved the whole plot .

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, January 11, 2014
This review is from: One Night That Changes Everything (Kindle Edition)
It is a very good book that I recommend reading. I would even read it again, that's how good it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars, January 2, 2014
This review is from: One Night That Changes Everything (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was very good and definitely unique. I would recommend it to teenage girls or girls 35 and below. It had some very good twists.

One Night That Changes Everything