Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on June 5, 2005
I must say I enjoyed this book, which is essentially a fairy tale. It doesn't match up to the writing in the earlier Dragon books but it's still a good read and is in Anne McCaffrey's usual well written style. There is of course a happy ending with a cleverly thought out and very suitable end to the villainness! There is the feeling too that there could be more stories to come about the characters in it.

I have nearly all of Anne McCaffrey's books and was well pleased with this addition to the library.
on June 29, 1999
The story "Nobody Noticed The Cat" by Anne McCaffrey is about a Prince whose father dies leaving him a large kingdom, a lot of dangerous neighbors, and a cat. However, the cat proves to be his most helpful friend, protecting him from the scheming plans of a hateful woman and other evil people and generally, being his ears and eyes. I felt that this story was cute and interesting. It is not Anne McCaffrey's best writing( In fact I would rate it quite low againest her other work) It is not something to go goggilie-eyed over. 1, it is unbelievably short!!!! 2, It gets a little boring and predictable at certain parts of the book 3, It is very exspensive for the reasons above. (I don't know about you people but I could by 2 good books for that same price almost!!) So my recommendation is to get it out of the library or if you have time, go to the book shop and read it off the rack!!! It is really not worth buying(I read it in an hour and I will probably not read it again).
VINE VOICEon July 1, 1999
When the regent, Mangan Tighe died, he had already provided for the future peace and prosperity of Esplania. Young Prince Jamas had a smooth ascension to the throne and he was seldom seen without his cat, Niffy. Unknown to all, Niffy had been Mangan's last safety touch for the young prince. She was not an ordinary cat.
When Jamas takes Willow as his bride, caution becomes almost second nature. A treacherous and greedy Queen had plans of killing Jamas, and a few others, to gain their kingdoms. As always, no one notices Niffy, so she is able to do as Mangan intended. Niffy would save the kingdom and the new royal family.
***Ahhh, if only there were more cats like Niffy! This book is only available in hard back, but it is worth it! A KEEPER!***
on April 15, 2002
Prince Jamas is left to rule his kingdom without his regent, Mangan. He finds solance in Mangan's cat, Niffy, who is more than just a housecat. Amongst the trails and tribulations of ruling, Jamas realizes that there is more than meets the eye with this cat.
Anne McCaffrey has done a wonderful job! This story is short, but it is soo well told. Within 124 pages we know and feel for Jamas and have such a sense of Niffy. I know all about the Kingdom, the history and neighoboors that I didn't feel lost. This wasn't hurried story, all the details that were needed, were in there. Anne left out all those stupid fillers that most authors use.
A very sweet and fast moving story. I recommend to all of Anne's readers. (Even to those who don't like Anne's stories!)
on February 13, 2000
It was a cute story, but a short story, not the full length novel I had anticipated. The author demonstrates that she is equally adept at both short stories and novels. Unfortunately there was nothing in the listing to indicate that this was not a novel.
on December 5, 2004
The basic premise of this short little novella is that the very wise old regent of Esphania leaves behind a very special cat to help guide the young prince, Jamas, through the trials that he'll face as ruler of his country. The big trial that Jamas must face in this story is the danger presented by a sinister and ambitious queen who is willing to dispose of anyone who happens to be in her way. The cat is, of course, integral to the downfall of queen. The title is a bit of a misnomer, as Prince Jamas and some of his closest friends are well aware of the important part played by Niffy (the cat).

Without delving into magic and wizards, it still maintains that essence of make-believe that all fairytales have. An excellent little book to read to children or a quick shot of feel-good reading for adults. There was no content that I would object to as a mother of a young child, but the writing has enough complexity to not bore a more mature reader.
on August 3, 1998
For those readers who've expressed disappointment with more recent publications from Ms. McCaffrey I'd just like to say that the variety she has been able to provide has been refreshing. Readers wanting nothing but the same ol' stories, written just like everything else the author cranks out, strikes much like tunnel vision for literature.
Bookes like this and "Coelura" have been given to us as quick trips. A little bit of escape without packing a suitcase. If all a person eats is pasta, eventually there would be no joy from eating. She provides new meals, a different offering now and then. I found the book utterly delightful and came away with a pleasant feeling. Her other sagas are where I go for the emotional rollercoasters and complete adventure.
I can't say I've ever been disappointed by an Anne McCaffrey penned story, with and without contributions of other authors.
on July 18, 2014
This is a fun fantasy book, I know it's written for kids, but I have enjoyed reading it several times as an adult. I recently bought it as a gift for a young lady who had her tonsils out. She has been enjoying reading it with her family and I have had reports that all are enjoying it.
on July 14, 2013
Am a lover of her PERN series & have gradually gotten all of her other series too. Since she passed away Nov 2011 I've been filling in with those items I was missing from her complete SF collection. Very much enjoyed living in her SF world again with a new-for-me story. She was such a great writer!
on September 1, 2007
This is a long fairy tale or a fantasy novella. I've always enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's style and find most of her books easy to read and hard to put down, so short can be good (gets me back to the things I should be doing faster). Young adults are probably the intended audience, the innuendo may exclude children and possibly tweens (parent's call really). I suspect kids who like the warrior cat series might like this book. I enjoyed reading it, which is the point when I buy fiction novels, after all. The child in me just can't resist good versus evil fairy tales with happily-ever-after endings. And a cat as one of the good guys makes the animal lover in me smile.

There were a couple unresolved issues--namely the baby and Fanina--but then life can't always be neat with all the loose ends tied up, even in a fantasy world. More information on what a magnificat is would be nice, but working it in would probably have been too contrived. Salinah's behavior at the end seemed out of character, but maybe not. The point may be that outwardly strong, self-sufficient folks who seem least likely to ever need help/emotional support may actually be the most likely to need it when traumatized because they don't have the confidantes and other support in place to help them deal with it.