4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Souvenir of the Formation of the Mystic Valley Band, October 30, 2012
This review is from: One Of My Kind (CD + DVD) (DVD)
This is a terrific souvenir of the genesis of what became the Mystic Valley Band. In 2008 Conor Oberst went to Mexico and eventually he and Taylor Hollingsworth (guitar), Macey Taylor (bass), Jason Boesel (drums), Nik Freitas (guitar), and Nate Walcott (organ) recorded the album that was released simply as CONOR OBERST in 2008. (The band later released OUTER SOUTH in 2009.)

What ONE OF A KIND does is collect a variety of B-sides and outtakes that were recorded in Mexico during January/February and November December. Of the ten originals, half were written by Oberst. Oberst's highlights are the uptempo title track and the reflective "Gentleman's Pact." Favorite line:

All that you keep is the journey
All you keep are the spaces in between.
It's not the fresh start or the ending,
All that you keep is the journey.

Oberst also shares the spotlight with his bandmates. Hollingsworth wrote and sings lead vocals on "Central City," Boesel wrote and sings lead vocals on "I Got the Reason #1," and Freitas wrote and sings lead vocals on "Normal." There are also a couple of covers, both sung by Oberst. The first is a blues shuffle rendition of "Corina, Corina." The other is a faithful cover of the Paul Simon hit "Kodachrome." The album closes with a 2:19 rendition of "White Shoes," which was expanded to 5:50 on OUTER SOUTH.

In addition to the music CD, you also get a DVD documentary of the evolution of the Mystic Valley Band and the creation of the music that is on the CD and the music that eventually became 2008's CONOR OBERST. Some of the video is black-and-white, some is in color. Some is a bit grainy. Occasionally, still photos are used. Lots of on-camera interviews with band members. Lots of music--rehearsals, concert footage from shows in Mexico--but no full songs are included. Overall, if you're a fan, this is a must-have purchase. And at this price, it's a bargain considering you're getting more than 40 minutes of music on the CD and the running time on the DVD is nearly an hour.

My daughter and I caught them live at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in 2009. It was an amazing show. I earned some serious "Dad" points when I drove her 800 miles to see the band at that show in Colorado. I should earn a few more when I pass this on to her. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED [CD running time - 42:01; DVD running time - 55:26]

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Conor, January 23, 2013
This review is from: One Of My Kind (CD + DVD) (DVD)
Love the dvd in this set. It gave me more insight into my favorite artist. Would recommend this to any Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst fanatics like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bromance, December 10, 2013
This review is from: One of My Kind (Vinyl)
I'm so pleased that this rare and somewhat obscure item was available on amazon. That price was just right and I get to add to my boys friends collects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good cd., October 14, 2013
This review is from: One Of My Kind (CD + DVD) (DVD)
I love the cd, Haven't watched dvd yet. Going to see him on the 30th of this month. I can't wait.

One Of My Kind (CD + DVD)
One Of My Kind (CD + DVD) by Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band (DVD - 2012)
$14.99 $14.18