One-Star Reviewers Should be Ashamed of Yourselves

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2010 4:38:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2010 4:57:56 PM PDT
Ashlee says:
People posting a one-star review for this book based on the Kindle cancellation are being ridiculous! That's what this forum is for - complain here! Don't trash an author's work just because the company that publishes/distributes books couldn't/wouldn't release it in e-form. Go complain on the actual Kindle product and leave one-star reviews there. Anyone who has left a review because their order was canceled and not because of the actual quality of the book should be ashamed of yourself. I hope Nora or one of her employees goes through and gets every non-related review deleted - not only does she miss out on sales from the Kindle, but now readers who should be supporting her if they want the book that much, are trashing it because of something out of her control. If I had never heard of this book and glanced at the star rating, I wouldn't have looked twice and this is a wonderful book that didn't deserve such callousness from selfish people. Consider each and every one of you reported for inappropriate reviews.

Please note that this is not directed at anyone who has a legitimate complaint about the cancellation of the product (and wrote about it in the appropriate forums) - this is directed at every single person who left a one-star review on the book for that reason. How very immature and narrow-minded.

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 5:10:00 PM PDT
DC Book Girl says:
Amen! I've already said this in other forums and comments on reviews, but the five-star reviewers who haven't read the book should also be taken to task. Any review that is review masquerading as a Kindle rant and not legitimately about the book should be removed. I registered my disappointment with this book not being available on Kindle with Amazon and Penguin, via the proper channels. I hope that everyone who agrees with Ashlee will click "report this review as inappropriate" and indicate that they did not find the review helpful. Also, be sure to indicate that you found actual reviews helpful; this will push them to the top, where people who just skim reviews will see them.

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 7:13:08 PM PDT
Bronwyn says:
I agree, however I do think that Amazon needs to explain this situation to readers, not just blindly cancel pre orders.

Imagine if all those angry people emailed Penguin, and told them that they would never buy another Penguin book, and they are staying loyal to the Kindle.

Amazon/Kindle is trying to resist Penguin's machinations to price gouge the e reader market.

Let's direct all anger towards THEM.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 7:25:23 PM PDT
Ashlee says:
Oh, I agree 100% - I think the publishers do owe explanations to everyone. My issue was dragging down the rating on a book because it's not in the format they want. I have a Kindle and I've been satisfied with it, but if a book isn't available, I can just as easily read it in book form and I would never punish the author for a situation their boss created.

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 8:14:24 PM PDT
And, if you look at most of the one star reviewers and what they have previously reviewed, they appear to have only reviewed one book -- this one! And of course since they didn't read the book, they aren't really reviewing it.

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 9:42:54 PM PDT
Serendi says:
I was really startled at the rating on this book--I liked it nearly as well as Vision in White and much more than Bed of Roses. Then I get here and discover it's because of Kindle availability issues.

How on earth is that a rating of the BOOK???

It's like if you spent three months designing and making a drop-dead gorgeous dress and lots of people rated the dress really low because they couldn't get a ticket to the dance where you wore it.

Rate the book on the basis of the content--there are better places to address Kindle stuff!

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 9:55:42 PM PDT
Bronwyn says:
On a side note, these book covers are absolutely stunning! There needs to be a RITA category for Best Romance Book Cover!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2010 8:22:32 AM PDT
Ashlee says:
I agree completely! I can't wait to see the cover for Parker and Mal's book!

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 4:59:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2010 7:08:45 PM PDT
DC Book Girl says:
Looks like Amazon has declared war on Penguin: http://www.fastcompany.com/1634875/ebooks-penguin-amazon-e-publishing-pricing-agency-model-apple. Let's hope this means a positive resolution soon.

Posted on May 4, 2010 10:38:22 AM PDT
DC Book Girl says:
I have started a petition to Amazon and Penguin asking them to resolve their issues. Please sign it at: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/penguinkindleresolve/

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2010 6:15:11 PM PDT
> People posting a one-star review for this book based on the Kindle cancellation are being ridiculous! That's what this forum is for - complain here!

I haven't posted a 1-star review, but I think there's a wide-spread and accurate perception that that's the only form of feedback that Amazon will listen to.

I've never seen an Amazon representative acknowledge any issue on a forum.

And my limited experience of posting complaints to their kindle feedback email address is that you get a form letter reply and then they ignore you some more.

So while a 1-star review is a bad choice, it's the only choice on offer. Other than not complaining at all and buying the book somewhere else, which is what I've done.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2010 7:04:35 PM PDT
Ashlee says:
I don't mean send them an email in the Kindle feedback - I mean go and actually rate the Kindle one-star instead of the book. Better to drop the rating on the device (since that's what everyone is mad about) than the book/author who doesn't deserve it since I'm sure they would like to have their books available on Kindle too. I feel bad for all authors affected by this - not only do they lose additional profits on their books, but they have to deal with lower ratings on their books through no fault of their own.

Posted on May 13, 2010 5:55:16 PM PDT
if they won't sell it to me in the format I want then the book stinks! Thats my evaluation of the book--greedy greedy greedy and stinky

Posted on May 16, 2010 4:11:02 PM PDT
Kori says:
I don't have a problem with people giving it a one-star rating. I just signed on to purchase it for my Kindle and I am annoyed that it's not available. If people are like me (and, I presume most Amazon users), they are going to click on the 1-star and see that almost all the poor ratings are because it's not available in a format many readers prefer. So, if that gets the author's attention, or the publisher's, more power to them. It makes more sense to me than rating the Kindle low. But, that's just my opinion. And, like everyone else I am entitled to have one.

Posted on May 16, 2010 7:15:52 PM PDT
Ashlee says:
Absolutely, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but informed opinions are even better. Authors have NO say in what format their publishers put their books out in so it makes no sense to penalize them for something that is Amazon/Kindle's fault. So my point is to go to the actual KINDLE REVIEWS and complain there, bringing down the rating on the device until Amazon decides to resolve this issue they have with Penguin. Dragging down the rating on the book because people are pouting that they can't purchase it in the format they want is ridiculous. And yes, I have a Kindle and when I saw it wasn't available in that form, I bought the actual book. It's not like these people were told they had no access to buy the product, it's just not in their preferred form and dragging down the rating tells Amazon nothing except one of their books is scoring lower. Dragging down the rating on their precious e-device (that is currently getting more and more competition) is something they might actually pay attention to because they want Kindle users to be very happy so they don't switch to Sony or Nook or whatever new product is coming out this week.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 1:41:56 PM PDT
Kori says:
First, I haven't given the book a rating because I don't feel that passionately about the topic. I am just not going to buy it. I bought a Kindle to try and be more "green." So, either I won't read it, or one of these days I'll get it from the library, or buy a used copy. For now, I will just read something else--there's plenty to chose from that is on Kindle.

As far as ratings, I can easily take Amazon's side and say Penguin's demands are ridiculous, so I am going to rate their books lower and hopefully decrease their sales so they will negotiate with Amazon. People aren't pouting, they are making a legitimate point, you just disagree and seem to think your opinion is the only valid/logical one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 6:05:31 PM PDT
Ashlee says:
I don't think my opinion is the only valid/logical one and I find your condescending statement to be hypocritical since you obviously feel "passionately" enough about this to go out of your way to insult, not only me, but the vast majority of the people who have commented on this topic. I have stated on many different Amazon forums that Penguin is being ridiculous in their demands, but Amazon isn't exactly a saint in all this either - there are always two sides to every story and I don't think for one moment that the public is getting anything but the most remote information about it. While I may side with Amazon, my ultimate hope is that the issue be resolved as quickly as possible so that I can buy even more products through Kindle.

I do think it's ridiculous to punish the authors - who are contracted to Penguin and decrease their sales when they have done nothing but work for months to give their fans a book that they hope people will love - just to make a point, when a letter to Penguin would be just as effective and not harm the livelihood of the authors who have no say in what their bosses are doing.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with the word pouting, but when I read the number of people lamenting of why they bought a Kindle/wondering if they should not have bought one because THIS particular book wasn't released and the number of people who created accounts just to leave one review on here, I personally couldn't think of a better word for it. More PC words, perhaps, and most definitely crueler words, which I would never consider (especially not on a public forum) so pouting seemed to be very apt, considering.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2010 6:54:45 AM PDT
Ashlee, punish authors is a very effective way to get people to understand that this is a serious issue to alot of people. While you may not agree with this method--the bottomline is that it affects their bottomline. Money speaks and ratings count. You may not have/own a kindle preferring to continue the ecological deforestation that occurs with this industry. That is your right. I purchased my kindle for two reasons--I no longer want to continue to read on paper printed with toxic chemicals and because I live in a very isolated place. Even if I was not concerned about the earths environment--I would not be able to get the books in a timely manner--and as people are compelled to spout out spoilers--I wish to be able to read my favorite authors before that happens..don't believe me read the evaluations of this book. I do not believe that I am pouting--far from it--I am expressing my right to affect an authors bottomline. You say that it is ridiculous to punish the authors--I disagree. If my product was not being offered to loyal customers--and my rating and my bottomline was being hurt--I would do something about it. Far more than the lipservice of "oh my I understand that you are upset", that we are getting from cash cow authors. You can't tell me that they don't read the boards and watch the rating--along with the rest of the industry. So I will continue to let people know my feelings about this by clicking one. One person might be a pouter--but the total number of people who are displeased by this stupid action no longer can be called pouters--rather consumers who are angry with two major companies--companies who I might add have not acknowledged emails sent to them by consumers other then canned messages. So yes I will continue to "hurt" the rating of favored authors--if enough of us do so--the rating for the books WILL go down. Money speaks and this is one way to get heard.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 10:09:27 PM PDT
J. Blair says:
Sadly, If you honestly believe that Nora Roberts has no say in this, you are delusional. This is bigger than Amazon, Kindle and Penguin. People are writing negative reviews on authors who are big enough ( because of their fan base) to take a stand for their fans. Would anyone write a one star review for a new author who has no choice but to accept what their publisher says simply because they are happy to be published? No! The fact that Nora Roberts, Best Seller for years and big enough to take a hit for the sake of her fans, has not taken a stand with her own publisher is what Kindle users are giving her 1 star for. The fact that Amazon is listing print books from publishers who refuse to offer an e book format is a whole other issue. If Amazon simply said to publishers "if you refuse to allow a Kindle version of your book, we refuse to sell any version of this book" the issue would be done by now. I realize this is over simplifying the issue but who is taking a stand for the kindle users who have bought an e reader from Amazon only to watch Amazon accept this garbage from publishers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 10:21:56 PM PDT
J. Blair says:
Are you not understanding the issue here???? The problem isn't with the device, the Kindle works fine. Why would anyone rate it lower to prove a point. That's what Penguin wants you to do, punish Amazon for standing up for their users. The problem is with the publishers and oh yeah, the authors who believe that they should get more for the e book version for the convenience factor not because it costs them anything to create the book. Publishers and authors believe that they have a captive audience who have put a chunk of money into an e reader so they will pay whatever you want to charge them to get the book in an e version. Basic concept of supply and demand. These books are not available to Kindle users because Amazon has chosen to stand up for their users and refuse to pay rediculous prices for an e version of any book. Although it is an inconvenience to me, I applaud Amazon and refuse to by or read this book in any version other than Kindle. I will not reward the Publisher or Nora Roberts for that matter for gauging their customers. Before ridiculing others and creating multiple posts on the issue, you might want to educate yourslef about the actual issue involved.

Posted on May 20, 2010 7:37:18 PM PDT
DC Book Girl says:
From today's Financial Times:

"Tom Weldon, deputy chief executive of Penguin (part of Pearson, which owns the Financial Times), said: 'The only way to fight piracy is to publish digital content across as many formats as possible, through as many channels, at a fair price. If we go for exclusive or proprietary formats, we're completely screwed.'"

Hmmm....

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 11:30:49 AM PDT
CAL says:
I report every single worthless Kindle complaint. Can't say I ever check back to see if they're removed, but I certainly hope they are. I don't care where you complain as I don't own a Kindle and don't care about any issues involving them, but having to wade through tons of useless "reviews" to find legit ones is a pain in the ass.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 14, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Savor the Moment: Book Three in the Bride Quartet (The Bride Quartet, Book 3)
Savor the Moment: Book Three in the Bride Quartet (The Bride Quartet, Book 3) by Nora Roberts (Paperback - April 27, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (419)