5.0 out of 5 stars "REFRESHING, INSPIRING, UPLIFTING!"
Published on November 20, 2012 by Geraldine Ahearn

2.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Read that Requires Total Focus
Published 8 months ago by northwings

5.0 out of 5 stars "REFRESHING, INSPIRING, UPLIFTING!", November 20, 2012
Bestselling author, Ann Voskamp delivers another inspirational journal that is not only a page-turner, but a helpful compassionate guide on how to once again smell the roses that we so often don't have time for as we become so wrapped-up in our daily lives, that become filled with everyday stress of life's commands and demands. She gently walks us through our own hectic lives, reminding us of drama, debt, and irritating issues that seem to control every moment as we are reminded to re-evaluate and what to focus on to give us rewarding peace and tranquility. The author paints a colorful portrait of several reflections, while we focus on how to be thankful in helping not only ourselves, but others as well. Ann Voskamp conveys the importance of not changing your life entirely, but teaches us the key elements to happiness and peace of mind as we think in a more positive frame of mind. This spiritual guide enlightens the world in which we live, and teaches us how to dwell more on the simple things that continue to bring joy and pleasure. There are interesting topics for reflection on this delightful leap of faith in a more enjoyable atmosphere. I have read the work of this author before, and she does not disappoint on a mission of healing and pure inspiration that makes you feel good as you see the light in her perspective of happiness, not only for yourself, but for others as we begin to appreciate the beauty of so many things that exist that we haven't seen before. A heartwarming, comforting, enjoyable read. This is a book that I'd read again-and-again, especially on those occasions that I may need an uplifting spirit to guide the way. Highly recommended, and a great gift idea to family and friends, who enjoy inspiration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Draw Closer to His Grace, August 23, 2013
I read Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Life Fully Right Where You Are, about a year and a half ago. This best seller introduces readers to a word, Eucharisteo and a philosophy of living in light of the grace of God, as it says, right where you are. This idea of giving thanks always and living in the awareness of the brevity and fragility of life with joy is the theme of One Thousand Gifts. It inspired me to start counting along with a whole community of others who were counting their gifts to 1000 and more. When I was contacted about receiving the devotional One Thousand Gifts: Reflections On Finding Every Day Graces, which is based on the book, I was thrilled to have the daily refresher from this humble, much loved author. If you are not familiar with Ann Voskamp's writing, she shares her child filled, Canadian farmer's wife life at her blog called A Holy Experience. Considered one of the most influential Christian women of our day, Ann writes about giving thanks in the sometimes harsh realities of daily life.

What I love most about this book is that the length of the 60 individual devotional readings are not to short or long but just the right amount. Ann has a writing style that takes a bit of grasping. Tender and beautiful, it can be like catching glimpses of deep truths while gasping for air. She does not always follow straightforward sentence structure, which can leave you feeling, at times inspired and deeply moved, but at other times slightly exasperated! Her heart is poured out on paper and her courage shared is powerful. She shares with a gentle graciousness, and honesty that is hard to describe unless you read her for yourself.

Each devotion begins with a scripture, continues in Ann's unique, in the moment, voice which brings you up close to the grace of God: "Gratitude is not only the memories of our heart; gratitude is a memory of God's heart and to thank is to remember God."
"This is the crux of Christianity: to remember and give thanks, eucharisteo."
These are very much like her blog posts (possibly some portions are from posts?) but edited down to a very manageable daily portion. Each devotion is titled for a different grace: Humble Grace, Dark Grace, Small Grace, Wedded Grace, Standing Grace. As she herself believes, ALL is grace. Each devotional thought ends with a brief, heartfelt prayer, and a few lines for you to add your own thoughts, prayers of graces.
The first part of the book is reserved for these devotions but the second half (pages 205-245) are for you to personalize and begin counting "1000 Ways He Loves You..." Included are some quotes and the numbering of 1 to 1000. This makes this devotional/journal a great launching pad for you if you have not started listing your "gifts", but also makes for a great gift. The book itself is beautifully covered with a bird in hand pictured and includes a pretty blue ribbon to keep your place.

A gift for you or a friend. For those who enjoy Ann's Blog and book already, you won' be disappointed, but thoroughly blessed with this treasure. This is a lovely devotional.

I received a copy of this book through Shelton Interactive in return for a review.
All opinions are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh perspectives., July 22, 2013
I read the "1,000 Gifts" book three times, so thought the devotional might be too familiar. I was wrong ~ each day that I read, I am again moved to a place of gratitude and grace, changing my perspective on whatever challenges I might be facing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You for this great devotional!, December 4, 2012
I was introduced to Ann Voskamp's full edition book a year ago. Her poetic style grew on me quickly--her message even more so as she weaves Biblical truth with the the discipline of giving thanks---thanks for the mundane, the ordinary, the hard, the scary, and even the unimaginable. I have since found wisdom and encouragement in her blog and a second reading of her book as well as keeping my own gratitude journal counting to my 1000 gifts. Now, I have a GREAT way to share all of this in a fantastic GIFT to others in this DEVOTIONAL book. I bought a copy to check it out and plan to purchase at least 5 more as Christmas gifts for sisters and friends.
Thank you Ann.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Voskamp, January 3, 2014
If you liked the original book, this will only help you like it more. I have chosen to read one of the little devotions before I go to work in the morning. It gives me lots to think about and gets me on the right track to being thankful for things throughout the day. Highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, May 12, 2013
This review is from: One Thousand Gifts Devotional: Reflections on Finding Everyday Graces (Kindle Edition)
This book is packed full of things that make you think. It makes you stop and be in the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fan of Ann, December 16, 2013
I am a big fan of Ann Voscamp, and this devotional did not disappoint. Her "stream of consciousness" style of writing is unique, and her thoughts on grace are honest and uplifting.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Read that Requires Total Focus, March 31, 2014
This is a difficult book to read in any kind of sizable chunk. The stream of thought writing takes total focus to comprehend. I find myself having to go back over the same passages several times if there is any kind of distraction. It's a compilation of thoughts, so there are no story lines to hold anyone's attention. To really get something from this book, you need to be able to "lock yourself away" with it where there are no distractions of any kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Changer!, July 31, 2014
This book has become a life changer to me in that it has shown me how to truly open my eyes to the blessings that God has given me all around me each and every day in the little things and the big things, the good times and the difficult times, in my friends and in those I find difficult at times, and in all things.... to find God in such a personal way that I never would've found before! Thank you for the blessing! #54... In the beginning.... And every day.... I'm only sorry to have completed the book and plan to reread it starting tomorrow until eucharisteo and giving thanks becomes second nature to me. A Grateful and Changed Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars uplifting and renewing, June 8, 2013
Excellent for pondering and renewing the breath of the Spirit daily. This reflective inspiration is worth a re-read when we begin to forget God's work in our lives and how truly present He is every moment and in every concern.