Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: One Thousand Gifts Devotional: Reflections on Finding Everyday Graces
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

I read Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Life Fully Right Where You Are, about a year and a half ago. This best seller introduces readers to a word, Eucharisteo and a philosophy of living in light of the grace of God, as it says, right where you are. This idea of giving thanks always and living in the awareness of the brevity and fragility of life with joy is the theme of One Thousand Gifts. It inspired me to start counting along with a whole community of others who were counting their gifts to 1000 and more. When I was contacted about receiving the devotional One Thousand Gifts: Reflections On Finding Every Day Graces, which is based on the book, I was thrilled to have the daily refresher from this humble, much loved author. If you are not familiar with Ann Voskamp's writing, she shares her child filled, Canadian farmer's wife life at her blog called A Holy Experience. Considered one of the most influential Christian women of our day, Ann writes about giving thanks in the sometimes harsh realities of daily life.

What I love most about this book is that the length of the 60 individual devotional readings are not to short or long but just the right amount. Ann has a writing style that takes a bit of grasping. Tender and beautiful, it can be like catching glimpses of deep truths while gasping for air. She does not always follow straightforward sentence structure, which can leave you feeling, at times inspired and deeply moved, but at other times slightly exasperated! Her heart is poured out on paper and her courage shared is powerful. She shares with a gentle graciousness, and honesty that is hard to describe unless you read her for yourself.

Each devotion begins with a scripture, continues in Ann's unique, in the moment, voice which brings you up close to the grace of God: "Gratitude is not only the memories of our heart; gratitude is a memory of God's heart and to thank is to remember God."
"This is the crux of Christianity: to remember and give thanks, eucharisteo."
These are very much like her blog posts (possibly some portions are from posts?) but edited down to a very manageable daily portion. Each devotion is titled for a different grace: Humble Grace, Dark Grace, Small Grace, Wedded Grace, Standing Grace. As she herself believes, ALL is grace. Each devotional thought ends with a brief, heartfelt prayer, and a few lines for you to add your own thoughts, prayers of graces.
The first part of the book is reserved for these devotions but the second half (pages 205-245) are for you to personalize and begin counting "1000 Ways He Loves You..." Included are some quotes and the numbering of 1 to 1000. This makes this devotional/journal a great launching pad for you if you have not started listing your "gifts", but also makes for a great gift. The book itself is beautifully covered with a bird in hand pictured and includes a pretty blue ribbon to keep your place.

A gift for you or a friend. For those who enjoy Ann's Blog and book already, you won' be disappointed, but thoroughly blessed with this treasure. This is a lovely devotional.

I received a copy of this book through Shelton Interactive in return for a review.
All opinions are my own.
55 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Bestselling author, Ann Voskamp delivers another inspirational journal that is not only a page-turner, but a helpful compassionate guide on how to once again smell the roses that we so often don't have time for as we become so wrapped-up in our daily lives, that become filled with everyday stress of life's commands and demands. She gently walks us through our own hectic lives, reminding us of drama, debt, and irritating issues that seem to control every moment as we are reminded to re-evaluate and what to focus on to give us rewarding peace and tranquility. The author paints a colorful portrait of several reflections, while we focus on how to be thankful in helping not only ourselves, but others as well. Ann Voskamp conveys the importance of not changing your life entirely, but teaches us the key elements to happiness and peace of mind as we think in a more positive frame of mind. This spiritual guide enlightens the world in which we live, and teaches us how to dwell more on the simple things that continue to bring joy and pleasure. There are interesting topics for reflection on this delightful leap of faith in a more enjoyable atmosphere. I have read the work of this author before, and she does not disappoint on a mission of healing and pure inspiration that makes you feel good as you see the light in her perspective of happiness, not only for yourself, but for others as we begin to appreciate the beauty of so many things that exist that we haven't seen before. A heartwarming, comforting, enjoyable read. This is a book that I'd read again-and-again, especially on those occasions that I may need an uplifting spirit to guide the way. Highly recommended, and a great gift idea to family and friends, who enjoy inspiration!
on July 22, 2013
I read the "1,000 Gifts" book three times, so thought the devotional might be too familiar. I was wrong ~ each day that I read, I am again moved to a place of gratitude and grace, changing my perspective on whatever challenges I might be facing.
on January 3, 2014
If you liked the original book, this will only help you like it more. I have chosen to read one of the little devotions before I go to work in the morning. It gives me lots to think about and gets me on the right track to being thankful for things throughout the day. Highly recommend it.
on December 4, 2012
I was introduced to Ann Voskamp's full edition book a year ago. Her poetic style grew on me quickly--her message even more so as she weaves Biblical truth with the the discipline of giving thanks---thanks for the mundane, the ordinary, the hard, the scary, and even the unimaginable. I have since found wisdom and encouragement in her blog and a second reading of her book as well as keeping my own gratitude journal counting to my 1000 gifts. Now, I have a GREAT way to share all of this in a fantastic GIFT to others in this DEVOTIONAL book. I bought a copy to check it out and plan to purchase at least 5 more as Christmas gifts for sisters and friends.
Thank you Ann.....
on April 28, 2014
This has to be a method that would work for anyone and everyone: write down what you are thankful for every day. It will gradually change how you perceive everything that happens in your life, and you end up with a lighter heart, smiling more often, worrying less and less... I highly recommend this book!
on May 12, 2013
This book is packed full of things that make you think. It makes you stop and be in the moment.
on June 4, 2014
Ann Voskamp's unique style of writing may not be for the average reader. If you want to THINK, PONDER and PARTICIPATE in seeking a life with Jesus that focuses on God's grace and love, and you already HAVE made that choice-- go for it!
on June 8, 2014
The idea of the devotional is great (and I didn't read the book that was written ahead of it) and I love the theme, but her writing is REALLY hard to follow. We picked this for a bible study with 5 of us ladies, and everyone of us struggled with the cadence of the language.
on November 5, 2014
About the Book:

Following the success of One Thousand Gifts, her guide to giving thanks and finding joy in all aspects of life, Ann Voskamp returns with this One Thousand Gifts Devotional. Follow in her footsteps, and find 'joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama and daily duties.' The sixty devotions in the One Thousand Gifts Devotional explore the simple graces and the hard graces we all experience every day of our lives. Each devotion provides a daily Scripture and prayer and invites you to go deeper into the concept of grace explored in her book and on her blog, www.aholyexperience.com. One Thousand Gifts has provided inspiration to many Christians swept up in the chaos of everyday life, and now you have the opportunity to respond with your own list of one thousand gifts.

About the Author:

Ann Voskamp is wife of one good farmer, the home-educating mama to a half-dozen exuberant kids, and author of the New York Times Bestseller, The Greatest Gift, and One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, a New York Times 60 week bestseller that has sold more than one million copies, the royalties of which the Voskamp family has given all away, the joy always in giving the gift back.

My Review:

Ann Voskamp has been a favorite of mine. She is very simple but she also can cut right through you to get to the heart of the matter. She shows us in the devotional that is meant to be the companion to her best selling book, One Thousand Gifts that God is in all things and His grace extends over into all areas of your life. Whatever it is, big or small, if you let Him, He is there. In One Thousand Gifts Devotional: Reflections on Finding Everyday Grace, there are 60 devotions and plenty of places throughout the book to journal but the author invites you to take the everyday things and see Gods grace in them.

Once you start looking it really is too hard to stop looking because His grace is something that shows itself almost immediately. My favorite devotional out of the entire book if I could only pick one would have to be Dark Grace. The words are so touching that they seem like light melting through you. She writes about her experiences and those of others in very touching ways. I love reading her work because her words speak to me heart in the most immeasurable ways!

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the Z Blog Squad and Zondervan.