Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on November 16, 2011
I read both good and bad reviews before getting this book thinking that all the good reviews definitely outweighed the bad. But after reading it, I suggest you heed the negative ones carefully, including this.

I've been a creative writer and editor for nearly 20 years and this book is a "headthrobber." I appreciate the theme and the whole passion for thanksgiving and living life fully for Christ, but the way it is written is agonizing. Too many adjectives clumped together, too many dangling clauses, too many useless words, and a trail of thought that has no structure... The whole gift is just lost on me by the time I get to the end of the paragraph. Rather than be blessed by the beauty of what it wishes to impart, I ended up annoyed and disturbed that I am reading a journal of sorts of a very messy mind. I couldn't finish a paragraph without heaving a sigh and rubbing my wrinkled forehead. I am surprised that so many people are rating this with 5 stars. I wish someone edited this in a way that would have preserved the thought without sacrificing style, but with a clear trail of thought, well-structured paragraphs, beautifully constructed sentences, and wise use of adjectives.

I feel the author tried too hard to translate a painting into words, making this book a canvass of her own abstractions. It felt as if she had a thesaurus beside her and used every polysyllabic word without hesitation. It seemed like she had many resources (especially on constellations and the cosmos) and just wanted to pour everything she knows in one book. What a mess.

I am NOT recommending this to any one at all.
2525 comments|550 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
I really wanted to like this book. But the author's addiction to torturing the English language was more than I could bear. I kept hoping we would move over to the "practical guide" the book jacket promised. That was a very empty promise - there is nothing practical about this book. Worst writing I've ever encountered.
on October 23, 2011
Seems many people are really into this book.
Let me say that though I am a sincere Christian and I do read a lot of Christian books) I really did not like this book
Here's why....

Weird back hills talk.....
Ex: "I will embrace the skin of a boy child that my body grew from a seed". P. 31
( that is just weird in a creepy way)

I am from the east coast. Moms from this area say something like "I gave my kid a hug today".
I have lived in various parts of the country and I have never heard such a description of a hug.
To be blunt this is self indulgent literary rubbish.

She likes to repeat things at least two times, even three..... p. 22
They eat the mystery
They eat the mystery
And the mystery.......

This literary technique (if you can call it that) is not effective. Say it well once and move on!! The subtle grace of literary Parallelism would have been a better choice.

There is a lot of emotional angst peppered with overly and oddly described scene after scene with no room for you to rest in a sentence of normalcy. In a way, this is like "jumping the shark" albeit in a book that never had been read the first time around. She is trying too hard.

If I am not in the least bit vaguely interested or slightly curious --then I have to pass.
This author could not hold my interest. I gave up on page 41.

If you would like to read a book about gratitude that is well written and makes the point clearly without overworking the verbiage and hence your nerves then try Sarah BanBreathnach's "Simple Abundance".

I suppose I will take a lot of heat for this review because it is not in agreement with most reviews.
That's okay. But no, don't ask me to read the entire book. I am done.
2424 comments|233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2012
I have read this book and found quite a few things about Ann Voskamp's book that we should be cautious of:

1. She quotes Henri Nouwen (as do a lot of people who sell books & DVDs in Christian bookstores) who said, "Today I personally believe that while Jesus came to open the door to God's house, all human beings can walk through that door, whether they know about Jesus or not. Today I see it as my call to help every person claim his or her own way to God." (Universalism, Universal Salvation - heretical)

2. She quotes Brennan Manning (as do a lot of people who sell books & DVDs in Christian bookstores) who has said, "I develop a nasty rash around people who speak as if mere scrutiny of its pages (the Bible) will reveal precisely how God thinks and precisely what God wants." (Low view of Scripture)

3. She quotes Julian of Norwich (a Catholic mystic) who has said, "And I saw no difference between God and our Substance: but as it were all God." (Seriously? Reminds me of what the enemy said in the garden.)

4. She quotes Annie Dillard who has said, "I have no religion, or many religions." (Ridiculous statement!)

5. I found this statement written in the book very offensive: "I fly to Paris and discover how to make love to God." The whole of her book is about living the simple life, and yet she has to fly off to Paris to have the ultimate experience with God? (not to mention offensive sexual reference!)

That's just a few examples. I know this book is very popular in Christian women's circles. But unfortunately, we live in a time where we need to scrutinize even things that come out of Christian bookstores.

Is the thankfulness message in the book good? Yes. But I would recommend reading this review to have a fuller understanding of why we must be cautious reading and recommending her book: [...]

I once heard someone say they were putting on their Ann Voskamp "Thankfulness" list that they were thankful for paper clips. This is an example of spiritualizing something - giving it a spiritual context where there isn't one. Yes, we can appreciate that paper clips keep our papers in order, but we don't want to think that God is sitting around thinking of ways to make life more convenient for us ;) Ann Voskamp's list has things like that on it - for example: being thankful for 3 things that are white.

Ann Voskamp's list keep us thinking in a positive and appreciative manner. I like that. But I think we can go much deeper in our thankfulness when we think on God and His character and His direct involvement in our lives. I think as we read the Bible and areas where thankfulness was offered, it is so directed at God - not paper clips. C'mon!!!

I would love to see us all keep a different kind of thankfulness list that includes things like:
1. What are we thankful for in the Scripture that we read today?
2. Has God answered a prayer for us today?
3. List a character trait of the Lord that we love and have seen manifested in our lives.
4. How did someone reflect God's love to us today?

This is the kind of list that will give us something of substance to share.
3030 comments|387 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2012
It is good to have gratitude, but the book overdoes it, and the author's words start to sound fake and forced after the first 30 pages or less. Some wording is just downright awkward and difficult to read.

Overlooking many of the smaller theological problems I found in this book, I found two major issues: Panentheism and carnality. Although the author denies she is a pantheist (God is all), she seems to not understand that panentheism (God is in all) is just as wrong. In fact, it's worse because it's more subtle. I have written poetry since a young age and I majored in literature, so I appreciate poetry. But the panentheistic statements in this book are not just poetic language. There are so many panentheistic statements that it was difficult keeping track of them. She states, "True Beauty worship, worship of Creator Beauty Himself," and explains that this is not pantheism. However, this statement by itself is consistent with panentheism.

She then asks if theology is the study of books about God, then is not the study of nature also "the deep study of the Spirit of God?" Well, no, it isn't. The study of nature is the contemplation of the handiwork of God, not of his Spirit.

Voskamp also sees God in "all faces." She asks, "Isn't He the face of all faces?" and continues on that the "face" of the moon, the deer, even "the derelict" are "His countenance that seeps up through the world." She questions, "Do I have eyes to see His face in all things?" Here again, this is equating nature and the faces of people with the face of God. Faith, she asserts, is "a seeking for God in everything" (114). God's word, however, tells us that faith is "the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" (Heb. 11:1; see also 2 Cor. 4:18, 5:7).

The second troubling area is the eroticization of God's love for us and our love for God. This seems to be an extension of panentheism. If God is present in creation itself, if we can see or feel God in nature, he is reduced, philosophically speaking, to the vulnerability of material and/or carnal concepts and interpretations.

The final chapter opens with the statement, "I fly to Paris and discover how to make love to God." Even if we know the author does not mean this literally, the term "make love" has almost exclusively a sexual implication throughout our culture. She ties this love to being God's bride and to God as Lover. But individually, we are not brides of God or Christ. The church is the bride of Christ and "bride" is spoken of in the singular, not the plural (Rev. 19:7, 21:9, 22:17; see also Eph. 5:23).

She continues with phrases like "the long embrace," "the entering in," "God as Husband in sacred wedlock, bound together, body and soul, fed by His body," and "mystical love union." I do not want these images in my head. This is not how scripture leads me to think of the Lord or of what it means to be "one in Christ," which biblically is without carnal or erotic implications.

Believe me, what I have quoted above is only a taste of the erotic language. And no, it is not the same as the Song of Solomon, which is inspired scripture. Voskamp is not writing scripture and the Song of Solomon does not bring up the revolting images nor use the words that Voskamp does. The reader may feel like taking a shower at the end of the lurid references to God and Jesus.

Any good in this book is overshadowed by the panentheism and the erotic language about God. I do not recommend it to anyone. Its popularity only reveals the ignorance or disregard of the biblical view of God and nature.
2222 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2011
I spent a lot of time picking out what I thought would be an inspiring book. I saw all the rave reviews and thought this had to be special. I consider myself pretty intuned spiritually and I'm no brain surgeon but I am missing something in her words. I kept reading thinking I was going to get it eventually but it was more of the same weird babble that went on page after page. I have not dealt much with this type of poetry so maybe that is what I am lacking but it all just seems so strange to me. I will not be able finish this one. I feel I wasted my money. It might as well have been in Chinese. Get mad if you will but this book isn't for everyone. I love the cover and title and the thought behind it but it definitely fell short for me.
22 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2012
In "One Thousand Gifts" I appreciated Mrs. Voskamp's focus on the glory of God and recognizing how everything in this world points to Him but there were some concepts in Mrs. Voskamp's book that concerned me. I've no doubt that Mrs. Voskamp is a sister in Christ but for example, her spiritual insights frequently reflect the New Age authors she quotes throughout the book, leading her to value experience over Scripture.

Here are the areas where I'm concerned:

PANENTHEISM
A pan-theist believes nature is divine; a pan-en-theist believes the divine is IN NATURE, that somehow, God is in the moon, in the bubble. Both find their roots in New Age philosophy. God created nature, nature points to its creator but God is not "in" those things, they do not share his essence. Mrs. Voskamp is dead-on when she says that we must have "Scripture glasses, Biblical lens" to interpret nature but then she goes on to uphold what we experience as more important than God's word. She has it backwards. She uses the Bible as a way to see God's "heart" in nature rather than seeing nature as something that points us back to scripture where we see God's heart in the living Word.

ECCLESIOLOGY, (the doctrine of the church.)
Though again, I've no doubt that Mrs. Voskamp is a devoted and beloved church member her ideas are potentially harmful to the local church. In the "empty to fill" chapter she talks about the "cycle of grace", we receive, therefore we give. This would be a great time to talk about how we are now adopted into the family of God and how we serve through the context of the home AND the local church.

But that's not what Mrs. Voskamp does. She describes a gathering of women partaking in "holy communion" but she does not identify this meeting as a local CHURCH meeting (one of the women was her pastor's wife, but that does not make it a church meeting). And if we can have complete union with Christ in an art museum why would we need to be in church with people who get on my nerves? Why would I need the church if I can have complete union with Christ every day on my own? (1 John 2:10-11) Mrs. Voskamp even seems to contradict her "beauty of everyday home-life" philosophy by emphasizing Para-church ministries at the end of her journey, failing to make any reference to her local church.

The local church is vital to our union with Christ and communion with Christ cannot be experienced apart from His body. Though all Christians are members of the greater, universal church, the universal church finds its expression in local bodies. (I highly recommend Pastor Thabiti Anyabwile's book "What is a Healthy Church Member). Para-church ministries have their place but they should not substitute for involvement in the local church.

SERVING GOD WHERE YOU ARE
In the book "God at Work", Gene Edward Veith Jr. talks about the doctrine of vocation. God IS hidden in the sink filled with dirty dishes but not because he is somehow IN those dishes but because THROUGH those dirty dishes God fed His children and He did it through OUR hands-isn't that amazing? There is great meaning and purpose in the everyday things that we do but not in the way Mrs. Voskamp explains it.

ALREADY BUT NOT YET
Where we have a problem is that Mrs. Voskamp acts like this perfect union with Christ is actually attainable here on earth if you just go to the right place, stand by the right painting and have the right feelings. I take my stand beside historic Christianity and all the Minor Prophets and say that the use of sexual imagery to metaphorically describe union with Christ is profoundly biblical.

But Mrs. Voskamp seems to confuse the "already...and not yet" truth of the Christian life. Yes, we are unified with Christ the day our hearts are regenerated but we are not yet glorified. That union is incomplete. Though Mrs. Voskamp has said on her website that she's not saying there are two types of Christians (the average Christians and the Super-Christians who have had this great, unifying experience) that is essentially what she is conveying, intentionally or not. On her flight to Paris, Mrs. Voskamp remarks on feeling incomplete. Something was still missing from her spiritual journey. An encounter with God in Paris gave her the missing piece, implying that the GOSPEL was insufficient, that she needed an experience to proceed.

"EUCHARISTEO ALWAYS PRECEDES THE MIRACLE"
I read an article on gratitude that uses the same parable of the 10 lepers as Mrs. Voskamp but there is a subtle difference in their interpretations.
Gratitude, "Eucharisteo" is evidence of a changed heart not the condition required for one. Yes, Christ gave thanks before performing miracles but that's not a one-for-one correlation with us because WE are not Christ, displaying our divinity through miracles. All ten lepers received physical healing but only one received a new heart. Eucharisteo always FOLLOWS the miracle when it comes to sinful human beings.

The biggest miracle is that through Christ, we BECOME a grateful people--more every day, growing in grace. God both commands us to "be thankful always" and opens our eyes, changes our hearts so that we may say with the Psalmist "Your mercies are new every morning", giving us the desires themselves. It's not either/or--it's ALL grace. Always "further up and further in", gaining a greater love and appreciation for God's character as we discover our own ingratitude, our own self-reliance. The command is not "work hard to be more grateful" but "meditate on Christ and God's goodness" and then and only then will true gratitude follow.

GOD IS IN THE PRESENT
We usually think of "do this in remembrance of me" as a remembrance of a past event only (atonement) but it's not only that, but a remembrance of Christ Past, Present AND Future. I am reminded of Mrs. Voskamp's emphasis on "God is in the present".

I have a New Age relative who told me about a study that was eerily similar to what Mrs. Voskamp said. According to this study a person is closest to God when they are living entirely in the present-when they're so consumed with their present activities that they don't have a thought for the future. This is a New Age concept.
The Bible tells us to engage the world around us and not to fret about the future but nowhere does the Bible tell us to "live" only in the present. We are to live with the ever-present reality of a savior who has not yet returned, of a kingdom that has not yet been fully established. Our eyes should be firmly set on the "glory that is to come"; it is only then that we can see clearly the meaning and purpose behind the things around us.

Raising children is significant not because God's essence is somehow the essence of those present-focused moments but because God is working through the labors of a mother to accomplish something greater...in the future. In the kingdom that is to come.

We remember Christ. Past. Present. And Future. To Him be the glory.

FEELINGS AND TRUTH
The other point of contention with Mrs. Voskamp's book is its high emotional appeal and experience-driven outlook. We are called to love and obey God with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength, that is with our whole person, with both our minds and emotions. Throughout "One Thousand Gifts", Mrs. Voskamp wrestles with this, even the very type of writing she chooses reflects this, for "poetry is the language of experience".

Theology is not meant to be only an intellectual exercise. What we believe should effect not only how we think but how we feel; joy is the fruit of loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. If anything, that's what would I say "One Thousand Gifts" is about.

This was probably the most striking paragraph in the book for me:

"I know all our days are struggle and warfare (Job 14:14) and that the spirit combat to spirit combat I endlessly wage with Satan in this ferocious thrash for joy. He sneers at all the things that have gone mad in this sin-drunk world, and I gasp to say God is good. The liar defiantly scrawls his graffiti across God's glory, and I heave to enjoy God...and Satan strangles, and I whiten knuckles to grasp real truth and fix that beast to the floor." [p.90]

This is the essence of the Christian walk: believing the truth about God even when what we see and what we feel contradicts that truth.

However, in another chapter Mrs. Voskamp tells her son that the only way to fight feelings is with feelings and the book is filled with her own attempts at fighting feelings with feelings as she chases the moon, revels in soap bubbles and flies off to Paris in the final, climatic chapter. I can't help but find her inconsistent. Our hearts will follow our minds, what we believe with our minds we will come to believe and love with our hearts. We don't have to seek "mountain-top" experiences--we seek the truth that's found in God's Word.

For further study on the relationship of the mind and the emotions, I highly recommend "Feelings and Faith" by Brian Borgman.

If you have read this book, been given this book or have had someone ask you about this book I would really encourage you to read the following article. It is worth your time. It's written by a reformed pastor (who actually READ the book), he goes line by line through some of the things Mrs. Voskamp says and explains its implications. Though I think he was too hard on Mrs. Voskamp's romanticism his article helped clarify the book's theological implications that I was concerned about.

[...]
55 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2013
Many other reviews mention the people who Ann Voskamp quotes in her book, liberal theologians and Catholic and Orthodox mystics who seem to be Mrs. Voskamp's influences in her life. Also in many reviews are the references to a sexual union with God, which is how she intends to find communion with Him. These, and much more of her terminology, line up with ancient mystical thoughts.

These are enough to stay away from the book, but the bottom line is that Ann Voskamp preaches another gospel.

On page 28, she asks these questions, "What is all most important? How to live the fullest life here that delivers into the full life ever after?"
And on page 29, she says, "How does one live ready and always? Yes, ultimately, only Jesus. Yes, this premature dying to self, birthing into the cross life, the grace cocoon before emerging into the life unending. Without this Jesus, no, no one can be ready. But, someone, please give me - who is born again but still so much in need of being born anew - give me the details of how to live in the waiting cocoon before the forever begins?"
And she comes up with her own answer, the main idea of the book.

I quote an online reviewer here who sums it up nicely:

"Voskamp goes astray early in the book by redefining original sin as that of ingratitude (p. 15) rather than willful rebelliousness against the will of God as taught in Scripture. As a result salvation is obtained not by faith alone, as the Bible states (Eph 2:8-9), but by faith plus thanksgiving. "Jesus," we are assured, "counts thanksgiving as integral in a faith that saves" (p. 39). The book virtually ends on this note. The author writes, "What that first and catastrophic sin of ingratitude ruptured...union...can be repaired by exact inverse of the Garden: lifestyle gratitude ..." (p. 220). In the last quote Voskamp is not only speaking of salvation but mystical union as well...The tragedy is that by missing the biblical truth concerning both original sin and personal sin Voskamp is askew on much of her approach to the Christian life. She sees the Christian life as chasing after joy through the means of thanksgiving. But the Christian life is that of following Christ, joy and thanksgiving are both by-products and steps of obedience. Whenever and whatever we center our lives around besides Christ leads us astray. Thanksgiving and joy are not big enough to sustain us. In addition, when they become ultimate in our lives they actually become idols in our hearts. Only Christ is to have that central place. Because Voskamp does not understand this she wraps her life around thanksgiving instead of Christ. Not only does she misunderstand the fall of man and salvation but she also sees thanksgiving as having the power to raise the dead (p. 35), as the key to unlocking the mystery of life (p. 47), as giving the ability to shut the mouth of lions (pp. 60-61), as the means of overcoming sin (pp. 126, 136), as the way we "enter into God" (p. 134), as the core of the faith (p. 153), and as the producer of trust (p. 153). She goes so far as to say several times that "eucharisteo [or thanksgiving] always, always precedes the miracle" (pp. 72-73). Biblically all of these gifts flow from Christ or the Holy Spirit, not from an act of gratefulness. Thanksgiving is a response to what Christ has done, not a means to the 'Christ-life.'"

(The rest of the review is also worth reading.[...]
In addition, on page 32, Mrs. Voskamp explains this to her readers: "Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis. But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word chara, meaning 'joy.'" And then she makes the statement that, "Deep chara joy is found only at the table of the euCHARisteo - the table of thanksgiving." Nowhere do the Scriptures say that. What the Word of God does say, in Galatians 5:22, is that joy is a fruit of the Spirit. It is also fed by the Word of God, according to Jeremiah 15:16, "Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." Consider this quote from D.L. Moody on two kinds of joy:

"Now people should look for joy in the Word, and not in the world; they should look for joy which the Scriptures furnish, and then go work in the vineyard; because a joy that [doesn't] send me out to someone else, a joy that [doesn't] impel me to go and help the poor drunkard, a joy that [doesn't] prompt me to visit the widow and the fatherless, a joy that [doesn't] cause me to go into the Mission Sunday school or other Christian work, is not worth having, and is not from above; a joy that does not constrain me to go and work for the Master, is purely sentiment and not real joy."

The latter is the kind that Mrs. Voskamp, and the thousands of people who read her book, are trying to drum up in their own flesh.

The Church in the West today has lost her power because we do not stand on the truth of Scripture - many of our pulpits no longer teach about the power of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer, and Christians no longer study the Word as they should for themselves. This has then left the door open to false doctrine, as people become foolish, trying to perfect in the flesh what was begun in the Spirit (Gal. 3:3), like Mrs. Voskamp. This also allows what Paul warned Timothy about in 2 Tim 3:1-6, as the people who have the appearance of godliness, but deny its power, "who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth."

Christians who don't understand what it means to be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18) look for other ways to "live their lives fully", as Ann Voskamp does. And the tragedy is that Satan is more than willing to come and give us an answer that leads us astray. Our enemy is overjoyed to have us making endless lists of random things we are thankful for, rather than us picking up the Sword of the Spirit, going into battle, and fulfilling the command of Jesus to "go make disciples of all nations" through the power of the Holy Spirit.
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2012
In light of the numerous 5 star reviews I feel that it is necessary to speak out against this book and all that it purports. Where to start? I read large portions of the book, but refused to read all of it as it was clear from the beginning that something was off. I read a review or comment on here from a very wise person, but can't seem to find it to give them credit. He mentioned that,"God gives, we rejoice. We don't rejoice, and then demand that God is beholden to us to give." He went on to say, "Faith doesn't find us by choosing gratitude, as Ann asserts in the book, any more than we can will ourselves to do good works and earn God's favor." How true and right are his words as they expose Ann and her false take on "eucharisteo" (and why the use of Greek words lately in many Christian circles?? -- the Christian ministries that are using these words, i.e., Kyria, Bethel Church w/their Sozo ministry-- they are false ministries and churches that smack of mysticism).

But to get to the point about what is offensive about this book and Ann's theology and approach to God and life is that it is contingent upon her performance -- whether she is thankful at any given moment or not; in order to "prove" her thankfulness she must find in all things material something to be thankful for, e.g., bare toes in early light? And suns reflection on soap bubbles? Really?? I mean, talk about taking the focus off of Christ and putting it on the created. What about being thankful for God's true gifts? The one's that are not contingent upon our feelings and experiences? Like His grace that is not contingent upon my always being thankful? The fact that I am a temple of His Spirit? That He saved a wretch like me? That He forgave my sin? And provides for me? Being thankful for these things and exalting the Lord will in turn bring about an appreciation for His creation. This book also promotes Panentheism which is found in her words of, "Do I have eyes to see it's Him and not the thing?" And her obsession with finding "joy in the moment" goes too far when she fails to see joy in her sons fighting and one throwing something in the face of the other. I mean, first of all, as a mother, I wouldn't tolerate that behavior from my kids and I most certainly wouldn't look for the "joy in the moment!" Why would you? That is not where our joy comes from. And then, when she fails to find "joy in the moment" she berates herself and calls herself a blasphemer! When in fact she blasphemes God on and off throughout the book with her false doctrine!! Talk about truth-twisting! This is classic false doctrine and puts the focus on the believer and not on Christ. Apparently, she will never measure up. And that's the point -- we never can and that is where God's grace comes in. We rely on His strength and not our own. If you go along with her idea of finding joy and fulfillment you will burn out.

Another problem I see in the book is when she mentions that naming things makes you happy and to name a thing is to manifest the meaning, and that naming these moments (head spinning) may change the ugly names she calls herself. Yikes?! Again, who needs Christ when you can maneuver and bring about your own salvation? And maybe she needs to explore why she calls herself ugly names. I also have problems with her idea, and I'm paraphrasing here, that we really can't know God in this lifetime. It's the classic notion seen in the Emergent Church -- that God is still a mystery and we can't possibly know His nature, His standards, His revealed will. In other words, the Bible just isn't clear enough about who God is and what He stands for. And I have to say, I don't think she does know Him as He should be known. In her attempt to reconcile the death of her sister with her concept of God she has devised a way to circumvent the pain and the sadness into a vortex of false thankfulness. In doing so she has invented a God to fit her idea of what He should be. The danger in that is that it creates a subtle but strong anger at the true God and His allowing this to happen. You can see it in her writing in the way she brings God down to a human level, worships the created and speaks of communing with Him in sexual terms. Christians...we are living in a time of great spiritual confusion and this book is a prime example of the darkness that is spreading into Evangelical Christianity! We need to wake up!

I haven't even really covered the error in her book, but I think others here have done an excellent job in describing the false doctrine and mystical beliefs. I applaud them for standing up for the true, pure Gospel! May Christ be praised!

Finally, I must quote a sentence from her blog. Read it and see if you aren't as troubled as I am about her writing...In this particular entry she is referring to those times when we don't feel appreciated. "....when a mother lays down bits of her singular life to wash the bowls and the underwear of the teenager calling her a whore....." Such starkness and such evil! Apparently this mother must accept what is and find joy in the moment, because, after all, God is in it. Does anyone else have a problem with this?
1717 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
Tedious. Tedious. Tedious. T.E.D.I.O.U.S. I can't believe the positive reviews on this book. Complete waste of time and money! All the reviews on overwrought language, fake and forced language and just plain difficult to read are absolute truth! UGH!