4.0 out of 5 stars See It In Action . . .
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:47 Mins
Published on January 9, 2011 by A Gamer at Heart

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some not so good
The good:

I really like having an electric can opener that doesn't take up a lot of counter space or under-the-cabinet space. And since I make a lot of meals that require a lot of cans (broth, beans, tomatoes, etc.), using a hand-crank opener isn't a lot of fun.

It's opened every can I've given it without any trouble.

The not so...
Published on November 3, 2010 by Patrick Traynor

4.0 out of 5 stars See It In Action . . ., January 9, 2011
Length:: 0:47 Mins

I laughed when my sister told me she had one, but when I watched her use the One Touch Can Opener to open can after can as she performed other tasks while cooking I knew I had to have one. I like that you put it on top of the can, and most of the time it starts on its own, allowing me to perform other tasks while it opens the can. When it doesn't start on it's own, you push the big black button on top. My kids love to watch it work - cheap entertainment I guess. I would recommend getting some rechargeable batteries because it does tend to go through them pretty fast. It won't change your life or improve your cooking, but it's worth the under $20 I paid for it. See the video to see it in action. UPDATE 9/11: My One Touch Can Opener bit the dust. The lid gets stuck in the cutting mechanism. It first did it a few days ago and I had to take apart the top half of the opener to get the can top out from between the cutting gears. It did it again a few days later and is still stuck so I have now discarded it. I am kinda used to opening cans while I attend to other tasks so I will probably buy another one when it's on sale, but the durability wasn't exactly what I was expecting; but I have used it quite a bit and I can't complain given the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some not so good, November 3, 2010
The good:

It's opened every can I've given it without any trouble.

The not so good:

I've probably opened 50 cans with it so far, and it hasn't completely taken the top of of one yet. There's always about 1/4" of uncut metal, so I have to twist it back and forth till it breaks off. It's not terribly fast. If you're only opening one can, it's no big deal, but if you're making my world-famous black bean soup, you're looking at about a dozen cans. Unlike normal electric can openers that turn off when the sense the top is off, this one is simply based on a timer, and I think they've chosen a worst case scenario (one of those #10 6 lb cans), and you have to wait while it goes around the can twice.

I'm also not completely thrilled with taking the top rim off the can. For one thing, if you're planning on using up half a can of dog food, there's no rim to hold on those plastic tops that we use. Also, when I open a can of tuna fish, I generally push the top of the can down inside on top of the tuna to help drain it into the sink. Same for a few other canned goods like mushrooms. These lids still have the rim attached and won't fit into the can.

I also like to put the top of the can inside the empty can when I crush it and throw it away. Can't do that with these.

None of these complaints are enormous on their own, but all together, I don't think I'd recommend one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids help in the Kitchen more with this product, January 9, 2010
This review is from: One Touch Can Opener (Kitchen)
I ordered this item as a hope to find a solution for my kids who want to help in the kitchen but have difficulty operating the can openers, electric or manual. It took a couple trys to learn how to position it so it will start and grab the can to start the opening process but, now I have to tell them we have enough opened and it's time to put their new 'toy' away.

Be sure to get the newer version. MANY, MANY, reports of the origonal version getting stuck on cans when the batteries went dead. This newer design offers access to the battery compartment even if they go dead while in the process of openeing a can (just make sure you always have fresh batteries in the house).

Used daily, we have opened countless cans since Christmas and no signs of battery wear yet. And YES it really does open the can with NO SHARP EDGES!! A major plus since my 5 year old uses it the most.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must be a reproduction!!, July 19, 2010
This review is from: One Touch Can Opener (Kitchen)
I owned the Original as seen on TV One Touch Can Opener when they first came out and it was amazing,it was also bigger and better made, this one is smaller and cheaply made and does not work very well it stops all the time and you have to keep pushing the button to get it to go around the can, must be a reproduction or????? not worth it.

Oh! it doesn't come with batteries either.

St.Louis, Mo

1.0 out of 5 stars Just threw mine away, September 6, 2010
This review is from: One Touch Can Opener (Kitchen)
I bought mine a couple of months ago. It worked fine on small cans, but not regular size cans. Even when it works, it's hard to get the lid off the opener (although if you wait long enough, it will work itself off), and you have to watch that the little shreds of paper from the can label don't get into the food.

Today I tried opening a larger can. I was pleased that I eventually got it started, but then it stopped. I tried for about 10 minutes to pry it off the can. Finally I got it off, but the can was almost ruined. I bought a manual can opener a couple of weeks ago. I guess I'll stick with that.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 out of 3 worked, February 6, 2011
This review is from: One Touch Can Opener (Kitchen)
#1) Given to me as a gift and it worked beautifully for several years. Loved it.

#2) Replaced with the exact same model. It barely worked and within a week it completely stopped. Unfortunately, I didn't have the receipt and so I just threw it away.

#3) Replaced it with the same model and kept the receipt. Same results. Took it back and got my money back.

Don't have time to try for #4.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Opener is absolutely the greatest, April 9, 2010
David L. Wegman (Swansboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Touch Can Opener (Kitchen)
My wife has a terrible time opening cans with a standard electric can opener so I thought I'd try one of these just for the heck of it. She loves it, I love it and it is NOT a gimmick.... it really works great. The batteries seem to last forever. It makes smooth, clean cuts, and shuts itself off after it makes the cut. Everyone ought to have one of these.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, October 26, 2009
This review is from: One Touch Can Opener (Kitchen)
I just threw this into the garbage along with the can it was stuck on. Couldn't make it back up, couldn't make it go forward and it was locked on like a vise. The batteries were not a problem because you can buy rechargeable ones and they aren't that big a deal to change. If you buy the non rechargeable, they don't last a long time. Especially if you open a lot of cans. There were also a lot of cans it didn't work on and I had to use the manual opener anyway.

I wouldn't have given it even one star, but there doesn't seem to be a way to rate it lower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Let It Stop on Its Own, December 7, 2009
This review is from: One Touch Can Opener (Kitchen)
I love this gadget. I, too, got it stuck at first when I did not let it stop on its own. It revolves around the entire can and then goes just a bit farther around before it stops. Then you just lift it off and throw away the lid. Due to some hand weakness, I cannot use the manual ones. This one is great in my opinion for anyone with strength problems in their hands but make sure you let it stop on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, January 24, 2011
I finally got a one touch can opener of my own after my manual can opener recently broke. It is very simple, just place it on the can and press down on the button until you hear the motor turn on, and it will turn off when it has the can completely opened. I never want another can opener again!! It's a little pricey considering you can buy a manual one for 5 bucks but I think it's worth it.

One Touch Can Opener