Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The One Year Bible NLT (One Year Bible: New Living Translation-2)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on August 26, 2009
It seems that most of the other reviews for this Bible were written by people who are already Christians and who have many years of experience reading the Bible, so I thought I would write one from my perspective also. I am not a Christian (at this point anyway) and I recently ordered this Bible because I decided it was time I actually made an effort to read it to decide for myself once and for all.

I have spent much of my life wondering whether any of Christianity's teachings were true or just wishful thinking, and perhaps also a good sales job perpetuated by ancient people with an agenda. But it's quite easy to have an uneducated opinion about something you vaguely know about but haven't actually read! So, I decided to actually start putting forth an effort to read the actual Bible, the whole thing, from beginning to end. I hoped that this exercise would put the issue to rest in my life and I would be able to decide once and for all what I thought about Christianity.

I ordered this Bible because the concept intrigued me - read the whole Bible in one year! A good friend of mine told me about the NLT translation and how great it was, so I ordered that version. I also ordered a "regular" NLT Study Bible that has a lot more notes and explanations about everything - introductions to the different parts and things like that.

I received this One Year Bible in August, and when I opened it up, I randomly flipped through and saw that there was a scheduled reading for each day. So I turned to the page for that date in August and started reading. I read the entry for that day. Then I skipped a few days, and finally got around to getting caught up on my reading. I had forgotten what that first day's reading was about, so I reviewed it a little, and then read the several days' worth of passages to get caught up to the present day. That's when I realized that the story continued from day to day!

This may sound silly to someone who knows the Bible well, but maybe it will make sense to someone like me who doesn't. I had thought that the people who developed this particular Bible reading method maybe had chopped the Bible up into various "pieces" which took up the right amount of time to read, but I hadn't realized that if you start reading this Bible on January 1 of a given year, you will start everything at the natural beginning. And if you happen to start reading it in August, you will be picking the book up in the very middle and it won't make much sense. It will be like picking up any other book and starting to read it in the middle.

Like others have said in their reviews, each day's scheduled reading includes some passages from the Old Testament, some from the New Testament, and then a few Psalms and Proverbs too. If you look at the January 1st entry, you'll see that the Old Testament reading starts with Genesis 1:1 (the beginning of the Old Testament), and the New Testament reading starts with Matthew 1:1 (the beginning of the New Testament). So if you start on January 1st, you'll start reading the beginning of the Old and the beginning of the New simultaneously, a little each day.

Well, by getting the book in August and starting to read the August entries, I was plopped down in the middle of the book of Job for the Old Testament and Corinthians for the New. So when I started reading, it all seemed very random in nature. I began to wonder if a bunch of random "pieces" of the Bible put together in some unknown sequence would have enough of an overall thread to teach me anything. But when I read several days' worth at one sitting, it dawned on me that yesterday's Job readings continued with today's Job readings and the same with Corinthians. I had an aha moment!

So I turned to the January 1st entry and saw that it began with Genesis as you might expect. Like I said, this may sound silly to someone who knows the Bible well (they might have immediately thought "what am I doing deep in the book of Job on the first day of reading?"), but I didn't know any better so I just kept reading.

So I have a suggestion for people like me who want to read the Bible for the first time ever and who don't happen to get it in their eager little hands until well after January 1 of a given year. The day you start reading it, just start at the beginning of the book as though it were January 1. That way, your readings will be in their proper sequence. I suppose the developers of this book could have titled the daily scheduled readings "Day 1" and "Day 2", etc., instead of "January 1" and "January 2" so people could start reading on any day of the year, but since they didn't do that, I think it would be helpful to just pretend they are titled that way and start reading on January 1 regardless of what date you actually start reading it. Another idea is to get this or give it as a Christmas present! That would make starting on January 1 very easy.

I also ordered a regular NLT Study Bible because I figured I should have one of those too. The One Year Bible is not a Study Bible, so there is a minimal amount of footnotes and no study explanations or background information (at least as far as I can see so far). It is strictly a Bible meant for daily reading (no disappointment there - it doesn't claim to be a Study Bible). If someone really wants to read the Bible for the first time, I would suggest they also get a Study Bible version for more in-depth understanding of what they are reading about.

Having said all that, I really like this Bible very much. I would have given it 5 stars but for some reason, the Amazon screen won't let me give more than 4 stars. But really, I have no complaint with it at all. I love the NLT translation. I vaguely remember the King James version from my youth with all the thee's and thou's and this is a HUGE improvement. It makes the Bible actually readable and comprehensible, and at the same time, it is my understanding that there is a ton of scholarly research behind it. So it's easy to read but not at the expense of being an accurate translation. I realize there are all sorts of other readable translations that were made prior to the NLT, but since I'm reading the Bible now for the first time, I decided to use this very recent translation that also had a good reputation for seriousness and accuracy.

And I really like the read-it-in-one-year concept with scheduled daily passages. Just start reading as though today is January 1, and things will make more sense. And if you can, it will be helpful to also refer to a Study Bible to occasionally get more background and explanation. But I really think having this One Year Bible will encourage me to keep up with it, since the passages aren't very long each day, and you think "surely I can read this for 10 or 15 minutes every day". So whoever thought of the concept had a really great idea, it seems to me. Definitely worth the money so far.
3535 comments|538 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2005
I use this book in order to make it easy for myself to read the bible in a systematic way from cover to cover. I would suggest using it side by side with a standard bible of your choice. Overall I say that this is a very helpful and well conceived work. The authors seem very careful in providing an accurate interpretation in modern language.
on June 28, 2008
For my regular Bible reading I love the NLT. Since this was the only kindle NLT Bible I decided I'd have to make do with this 1 year version. Now don't get me wrong, I love a daily Bible reading plan and have used various plans for many years. In addition to the daily format you'd expect, the toc has links to each Old and New Testament book but also links to the books by alpha order. What this enables the user to do is to turn easily to a specific passage without having to know what day that passage is on. I am very pleased with this purchase.
on January 15, 2006
The One Year Bible is a great way to study the Bible in a year. I prefer the NLT text when I study at home. The small size of the Bible is nice, too. It would only be better if they put cross-references in there. Other than that, I'd say it's a great choice and a good value for the price.
on March 15, 2006
It's a good Bible. I just wish I had known how small the print is.
on December 27, 2006
Picked up this item for my best friend who is always running to her next stop. The cover is beautiful and the size is perfect for keeping in you purse or car. She will be reading it on her "down time" which is rare so it needs to be handy. Only reason for 4 stars is the tiny size of the print which comes with the handy size.

GIFT SUGGESTION: You may want to think about getting one each for a group of friends. I got this one for her and a larger version for me and it's nice to know we will be studying "together" no matter where we are!
on January 1, 2016
The One Year Bible is such a great way to read God's word for me. The NLT is not my preferred choice,but it was one I hadn't read before. The readings are doable ,and having it in my Kindle made it easy to take everywhere.
on January 18, 2015
I've read this version all the way through once. I've tried again and it's not such an easy thing to stick to. This is for me a very good version, easy to understand without feeling silly or simple. I recommend this version for anyone who wants to actually read their Bible rather than just have one in the home to prevent vampires and such. I hope to read it again, mean to but yes, it ain't an easy thing to do, at least not for me.
on June 26, 2014
If you have determined that you want to read the Bible clear through this is a great way to do it. I have found that the daily readings are short enough that it is not difficult to stay on track. Reading from the NLT is like reading a novel. There is an Old Testament portion and then a New Testament passage, then Psalms and Proverbs. It keeps you on your toes to remember the story line as you switch back and forth.
on February 6, 2014
I say "secondary" because I really believe any "through the Bible in a year" approach minimizes good study of the Word...but this would be better than nothing. Personally, I use it as an additional Bible read later in the day. I like that you are in the Old and New Testament, as well as Psalms and Proverbs every day. I am very happy with it, just personally would not recommend it (or anything comparable) as someone's primary daily Bible reading/study.