5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and thought-provoking

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Published 13 months ago by Misty Rios

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and thought-provoking, April 18, 2013
Stuart A. Albright (Durham, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ONE YEAR LIVED (Kindle Edition)
With his new book, Adam Shepard does an excellent job of pushing us to live our lives in bold, daring ways through his journey around the world. I learned a lot in this book, and I was also highly entertained. Shepard has a witty, self-deprecating sense of humor that endears him to the reader. I found myself laughing out loud again and again - particularly during the bull-fighting scene. I highly recommend A Year Lived.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Live a Life!, April 18, 2013
Roberto Mattos (Morganville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
This book describes a journey of a young man trying to find himself and figure out how to really live his life in full. He has a very good writing style of describing events and situations during his travels that makes the reading of his book very pleasant.
It is very impressive how much he was able to travel with limited financial resources. All situations are described in detail and some flashbacks are also brought into context, like his relation with his first basketball coach (Jack) and how that affect his future life. If he wants he has enough experience to write a very useful travel guide for most of the places he visited, with recommendations like "get the chicken bus" or variants on this line. His description on the passion for soccer in Guatemala is very precise and applies to all South America. He is a good character's observer and definitely an excellent story teller. All his stories are told with great passion, like something coming directly from his soul.

Excellent reading, I recommend this book to the permanent library of all readers who enjoy adventures, travels and a good entertainment for some hours. You definitely will be inspired to travel like never before. It took me around 10 hours to read the whole book.

This book was written by Adam Shepard and published by Scratch Beginnings Press on April 2013. I received a copy from the author for reviewing and I was not requested to give a positive review. Opinions expressed here are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, May 11, 2013
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining, but also made contemplate my own life and perspective. People like Adam should be emulated in our society. Those who embrace spontaneity, risk, and adventure are people who are truly living the dream. I only wish I was as bold and this made me re-evaluate my current life and ambitions. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and thoughtful, May 22, 2014
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
ONE YEAR LIVED is a very well-written memoir/inspirational book that will make you want to ask: what risks am I taking? How am I living my life? What am I waiting for? Even if your dream isn't to travel around the world, Shepard's stories should encourage you to volunteer and make a difference in your community--he did in Latin America under some harsh conditions. There's lots of great description to include the senses of taste, touch and sight. The food descriptions are worthy of a cook book. Besides being a travel memoir, ONE YEAR LIVED is also a commentary on Latin American and Australian/Maorian culture to include food, the economy, sanitation, poverty, and sports. I finished the book a whole lot smarter than when I first picked it up. Most of all, I felt emotionally connected to the places and people Shepard encountered. Bravo! I loved hearing Ivana's (his girlfriend's) voice and getting to know her strengths and weaknesses too. She made the book come alive for me. This book has something for everyone
who cares about making a positive impact on the world around them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, May 2, 2013
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
Really quick and enjoyable read. Doesn't take long and he's got a lot of good stories and things to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and thought-provoking, May 1, 2013
This review is from: ONE YEAR LIVED (Kindle Edition)
This is a series of essays that give us the story of his trip, musings from his life that relate to his travels, lessons he learned, and some history of the places he visited. He is quick to point out his own shortcomings and poke fun at himself. It is all done with humor, in a style that is very readable. I very much enjoyed this. Had me contemplating my own travels and making me want to plan more. Made me think. I highly recommend this book, even if you're normally a fiction reader.
*I received a copy for my honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and motivating, April 30, 2013
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
One Year lived is an inspiring book about Adam's own personal journey visiting various countries over the course of a year. I really admire him for doing this and felt an immediate connection (I had done a similar thing back in 2001 when I left the UK to travel through Europe. I got as far as Rome in Italy and ended up staying but the intention had been to visit as many places as possible). Anyway this book starts with a list. A bit like a bucket list of things to do before you die but with the emphasis on living. What things would you like to do? Where would you like to visit?

The book then takes you through personal accounts of his trips to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Australia, the Philippines and Europe. His casual style takes you there with him and you really feel like you get to know him and the places he visits.

An excellent read for all but especially for those of you that have ever written a list of your own or thought about exploring different countries. Warning though, this book might just be the push you need to make it reality!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, April 14, 2013
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
Yeah like this is really what anyone wants to hear right before they bungee jump off of a bridge. "Just in case line break and you not stop before ground, we really enjoy know you." This is exactly what Adam heard right before he jumped. As you can tell he survived and the line did not break. Otherwise if it had then I would not have been contacted by the author himself (well I am pretty sure it is the author.) Can't really say as I have not met him in the flesh. Well anyways if the line had broke then I would not have been made aware of this book and would not be sharing it with my readers.

Mr. Shepard has dreamed of traveling. So he saved so that he could travel for a year. A year to live. His journey starts in Guatemala City. The way Mr. Shepard writes and describes everything in detail, it was like I was with him as he went from place to place. I could hear the roar of the crowd at the soccer game, worked with poor children in Honduras, ran with the bulls in Spain and not just 1 bull but 3 bulls. Yes, as Mr. Shepard states himself he is a risk taker. I call him more of an extreme risk taker. However this is not a bad thing. It means that you will have more exciting stories.

Mr. Shepard encourages people especially young people to get off their butts and travel the world. As Mr. Shepard's friend, Scott states "The world has one hundred and ninety-seven millionish square miles." So you need to get out there and cover lots of those miles. I am more then inspired after reading about Adam's experiences and journey to get my passport and start filling it up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, July 26, 2013
Misty Rios (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
When I first saw Adam W. Shepard's One Year Lived I thought it was probably a story about some poor ill-stricken guy who was given a year to live and made the most of it. I guess that's why they tell you not to judge a book by its cover! So yeah, I was wrong. Its actually about a young man who saves his money to travel to various destinations around the world and through his experiences he develops a new perspective of his country and of others.

Adam Shepard's writing style is basically as if he were recalling all of these events to his best friend. He has a great sense of humor which he adds to the majority of the situations he describes. I really enjoyed this style at first, and I remember thinking of how clever and entertaining it was because it made you feel like he was sitting there next to you telling you everything he went through.

About halfway through the book I got tired of it. I started to feel like Adam was that one annoying friend that goes on and on about his amazing trip around the world and how he went bungee jumping in Slovakia, mustered cattle in Australia, and fought with 3 bulls in Nicaragua. I wanted to tell him to just shut up already! Regardless, since I cannot leave a book unfinished, I managed to read it to the end but it took 2 weeks and much procrastination.

I will admit that I did learn a lot from it. It was interesting to read about the different cultures and how they survived. Yes, it did make me want to travel as well....but then I just ended up depressed because I am not able to. I would only recommend this book if you are thinking about traveling and need that extra boost to get you going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, April 10, 2014
This review is from: One Year Lived (Paperback)
I bought this for the inspiration, and it's done just that. I have a desire to travel the work - to find myself, to volunteer, to meet new people, to have new experiences. I love hearing what and how Adam did this. He also writes so well, that the book is an easy and enjoyable read.

One Year Lived
One Year Lived by Augustus D. Shepard (Paperback - April 11, 2013)
$15.95 $13.85