Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Oneida 31161 Digital Thermometer & Timer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 3, 2011
I have used my Oneida digital thermometer for serveral years and was about to head back to Bed, Bath and Beyond to replace it when I read the review by Mel (copied below) giving the phone number for Robinson. I called, explained the problem (Thermo Temp always reads HI or LO) and the customer service rep immediately said "Yeah, that's the probe. We'll send you a new one." Fanstastic response!

I have used this thermometer to be able to get medium-rare roasts and steaks, for bread and for candy. I highly recommend it. If you have a problem, call the excellent customer service.

My thermometer conked out too. I just spoke with a Robinson Home Products customer service rep. She could not have been nicer. She is sending a couple of probes to me today at no charge. Call 800-245-2433, press 3 for customer service.
Published 2 months ago by Mel Byrnes
1313 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2010
88 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2010
Pros: Loud alarm, easy to read display, strong magnets to stick to refrigerator
Cons: Cannot set seconds for use as timer

I like having a device I can use regularly as a kitchen timer and as an alarmed meat thermometer when I need to. The thermometer part can be plugged and unplugged, so when the thermometer is unplugged, it is just like a single-function timer.

The back has 2 strong magnets that hold well to my refrigerator. It also works well on a counter top with the hinged display.

My calibration check was within 1 degree F for both boiling water and ice water. Has C/F switch on back.

For use as a timer, there are buttons to set the hours and minutes, but there is no way to set the seconds. The seconds are displayed as it counts down, but you can only time whole minutes. So you can cook a 2-minute egg or a 3-minute egg, but if you like 2-1/2 minute eggs, you should look for a different timer.

All buttons are easy to use.
on May 26, 2015
WOW! I saw the comments regarding getting replacement probes, and a 2 minute phone call is all it took, new probe in the mail to me at no charge. Amazing customer service. We had this thermometer for a long time before the probe stopped working. We tried another meat thermometer and we were not pleased with it at all. So happy to get to go back to our old trusty Oneida!
on June 22, 2015
Yes, you can't use the probe that comes with it for grilling. BUT you can get high temperature probes that will work with it from another company. I have bought probes with high temperature cables from AcuRite (http://www.acurite.com/accessories-parts/acurite-cooking-replacement-parts.html) and simply plugged them into my Oneida unit. The temperature readings are ~65 deg F high with these probes though. So you just have to remember to subtract 65 from the readings and set the alarm temperature 65 deg high.

Eventually, these probes always get fried and die, so the last time I bought some I just got a dozen. These are only $5 each. Shipping is a few dollars extra so buying at least 3-4 makes sense. Having multiple probes is a real convenience. If I'm grilling more than one lamb rack, I can simple put a probe into each rack. If I'm smoking ribs or a pork butt (on my Weber gas grill), I can lay one probe down on top of the meat to get the actual temp under the hood at the meat, and put another in the meat to check for doneness.
on February 21, 2016
Just bought it. Two major problems. 1. Plastic cover over the probe wire degrades if heated over 392 degrees Fahrenheit. WHAT! D they think n one makes bread r uses higher temps for anything? Talk about a design failure. 2. The probe wire is covered in plastic so it can't be used with a grill. If I can't get my money back I'll use it till the probe wire dies then replace it with something designed for use by real people.
on April 30, 2014
Bought from Bed, Bath and Beyond because I wanted a unit that would last past the first use. Well it certainly has, it's been over 2 years! I love the features. Magnetic unit sticks to my fridge right next to the oven. Timer feature is convenient though I rarely use it. Separate On/off switches for power and alarm. Adjust between C and F with switch on back. Detachable probe has been used on poultry, pork and beef and meats have always cooked perfectly. Well, until Easter. Took the ham out of the fridge and plugged in the probe... 119°??? Then went back and forth between "low", "high" and completely impossible temperature readings. I called the number just like Mel said and how sweet could the rep be? 2 new probes on there way from NY! THANKS Mel, Oneida and Robinson! 5 stars for a great digital thermometer and customer service that has exceeded my expectations!
on May 7, 2015
I'm surprised at how long the probe lasted with the use it gets at my house so it's failure was expected, free replacements was not.
A good product made excellent by customer support. probe gave out and as others have said I called Robinson Home Products at 1-800-245-2433, listen to menu, press 3, tell them why you're calling, they'll ask for your name and address, nice lady will say they'll be out today.

***UPDATE*** May 9th, 2 probes arrived.
on May 2, 2016
This probe thermometer is working out great so far; it's lasted a few years, which is a lot longer than any of my previous ones (Sur La Table, Polder, and a few others that forced you to select FDA approved temps - ridiculous). This one is simple - you can use as a kitchen timer (never tried) or temp probe; you can turn off the alarm if someone is sleeping (it's loud!); you can turn the unit off when not using, which is great for saving battery life (some others were always on, which meant changing batteries often). Not sure what metal my stove is covered in, but magnets don't stick; I rotate the screen and place on counter.

Thanks for all the comments regarding probe wire problems. I suspected the plastic-wrapped probe would be trouble, so instead I reused a mesh-wrapped probe from an earlier thermometer which fit perfectly. It's gone up to 500 F without any issues. Anyway, love the simplicity of this unit; when it dies, I will buy again. Original was purchased at Bed Bath Beyond, glad I can also find it here.
on November 18, 2011
I have owned this nifty little product for one and a half years. It is one of the items I use most in my kitchen. It is simple to use and makes roasting meat easy and safe. I have found the thermometer to be accurate (on occasion I have cross checked readings with another thermometer). Just recently the probe stopped working. I called Oneida for a replacement probe and they quickly connected me with Robinson Home Products. Robinson sent me two replacement probes. Happy ending. I would not hesitate to purchase this product again.