on September 19, 2011
The Deluxe Dust Deputy version comes with two plastic buckets and one plastic lid that the cyclone device mounts on. All the parts were there and the delivery was on-time. When putting the Dust Deputy together (mounting the cyclone to the lid) I noticed that the lid was made of very thin plastic and does not support the cyclone well. The lid bends and flexes a lot when the hoses are attached. Also, where the bolts that hold the cyclone to the lid are attached is another very weak point and needs to be supported better. I cut a circle of 1/4" plywood to go on the inside where the bolts come through to strengthen this area. I had to buy longer bolts, but I think it will last longer with this additional support. A support of metal would work well also.
If I had it to do over again, I think I would buy just the cyclone part and build the rest myself. The instructions even show other ways to mount the cyclone. I believe the cyclone works as stated, but it is top-heavy and needs a good support base. The hose that comes with the Deluxe Dust Deputy is high quality, well designed, and has fittings on both ends that match to many different forms of 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 connections.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2011
I don't usually write to dispute other reviews, but I will make an exception here.

I have used the Dust Deputy (bought the $99 kit), for about a month now, mostly for dust collection on my Jet 16-32 drum sander, and the thing is freakin' amazing.

I have a 6HP Sears shop vac. Nothing fancy for sure. I use it for shop cleanup and to collect dust from the sander, which puts out a very fine dust. Without the Dust Deputy the filter would clog up in less than 30 minutes of use. With the Dust Deputy in use, I have yet to have to clean the filter! Unbelievable time saver, not to mention the hassle of having to "suit up" every time I clean out the filter.

So, not sure what other users were doing with their dust deputy that they say did not work, but mine works perfectly, even when sanding at #220 grit.

The only other complaint I have seen around the Interwebs is that the plastic cyclone is fragile and does not stand up to dropping/falling. (duh) So do anchor the Dust Deputy to your shop vac, or buy the very expensive metal cyclone. It's quite easy to do, especially if you get the whole kit. I had mine on in less than 30 minutes. If you don't get the kit, definitely use the two bucket system so you can easily remove the inner bucket to dump the dust. And don't let too much dust accumulate or eventually it will bypass the cyclone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2010
It's not often that a product works and does what it is advertised to do right out of the box. This is one of those products. I have tested it with dust from the vacuum, sawdust from my old separator and even ashes from my charcoal bbq. Little to no dust from any of these made it into either my central vac or my shop vac. I can't begin to tell you enough how well this little marvel works.

After a minor hiccup with customer service it is nice to see they have a new customer service manager. She has handled the issue beautifully and should help Oneida maintain their reputation. Thank you.
on June 8, 2012
This is an amazing particle separator. I mounted it to my large shop vac per instructions, customized a bit with a few strategically placed bungee cords to provide strain relief on the hoses and to protect the input connection and put it to work in my "summmer" wood shop (the garage). This works exactly as described and even better than I was expecting. This is a small but very capable device. I'm feeding it a large volume of chips and dust from a surface planer, jointer, table mounted router and my table saw. It digests everything with no clogs or reduction in vacuum power. The paper filter in the shop vac is practically untouched with only some dust in the shop vac bucket itself. I figure this will pay for itself in a few months considering the cost filters or the even higher cost of disposable filter bags, not to mention reduced wear and tear on the motor and far less particulates spewed back into the shop's air. I plan to build a custom rolling cart with hose hangars and attachment storage. This is a great product and worth every penny.
on July 18, 2012
If you are a woodworker, you need a cyclone separator. The "Dust Deputy" does a pretty good job of separating but it has several shortcomings. If I had it to do over, I'd try something else. In fact, I may just try something else with an eye towards chucking this one out. The problems are:

*this particular design is *very* unstable, i.e. prone to tipping over. The "DD" proposed solution is to bolt the DD to your shop vac. This is nuts, because to empty the DD, you now have to horse the whole DD/vac assembly around to empty it.

* the DD bucket capacity is 5 gal., so it needs to be emptied frequently. So, once you bolt the DD to your vac (mine is 16 gal), you are horsing the DD/vac assembly around very frequently.

Other reviewers have commented about the flimsy lid, etc. Frankly, I don't find that such a big deal, and for $80, I wasn't expecting a Cadillac. But for me the combination of the thing falling over and being only 5 gal make the whole proposition pretty marginal. My word to the wise is to look for something at least 10 gal capacity, and which is stable when standing by itself.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2014
This may be ok for very small vac systems, but it is not for a vac with even moderate CFM. My Rigid 16 Gallon High Performance Wet/Dry Vac WD1851 with a rated CFM of 203 is too much for the small and restrictive Dust Deputy with 2" inlet and outlet. I was very much let down by this. I was actually very excited about this system after watching video reviews and such.

I ordered my unit direct from Oneida. I called and explained my situation, but they were unable to assist me. I had thrown the box away and therefore they would not let me return / exchange the unit for their Super Dust Deputy® Cyclone Separator.

According to Oneida's phone support, the Dust Deputy has no CFM rating applied to it. However, after my experience it is obvious now that even something as little as 203 CFM would need the Super Dust Deputy® Cyclone Separator. From Oneida's phone support, I was told the Super Dust Deputy® Cyclone Separator is rated for 200+ CFM.

I do wish I would have originally purchased the Super Dust Deputy® Cyclone Separator over the standard Dust Deputy®. I was very much willing to exchange the unit. Now I have a system that is not useable. Maybe I can sell it used.

If I had to guess, the Dust Deputy is only good for about 100 CFM. When attaching the Dust Deputy to my vac (even without any additional hose thereafter) at least half, if not more, of the air flow is gone.

One month update: I called Oneida again and expressed to them my frustration with my first call. I am getting a completely different response and they are being very helpful. I have agreed to help them as much as I can with illustrating the loss in performance. Therefore, I have created a video on my experience with the product. I will add it to my review. You may also see it in HD on YouTube via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuTz2zm_vh8

The bottom line is this: The Dust Deputy was designed to accommodate both 2" and 2½" vacs. The flaw in this design has become very obvious to me ESPECIALLY if you have a 2½" vac. The inlet and outlet of the Dust Deputy is tapered to fit these two size hoses. Understand this: on a 2½" vac, the inner diameter of the vac inlet is 2½ inches. The hose then plugs into (that is inside of the vac's inlet). The hose inner diameter on a 2½" vac is 2 inches. Oneida's design of the dust deputy further reduces the inner diameter as the hoses connect on the outside of the inlet and outlet. And since the inlet and outlet are tapered to accommodate both 2½ inch and 2 inch vacs (2" inner diameter and 1.75" inner diameter hoses), the inlet and outlet chokes the high CFM 2½" vac systems with its restrictive 1.7 inch inner diameter.

The Dust Deputy should not be designed in a manner that restricts flow on 2½" vacs simply to make it more compatible with vac brands and types. Instead, the design would be better if by default the dust deputy had female 2½" inlets and outlets. This would prevent the system from further restricting vacs as it does today. To retain the compatibility aspect, a simple bushing or even a rubber reducer fitting with band clamps could accommodate the 2 inch vacs.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2013
I have seen dust collection systems over the years but they were always out of my budget until I saw the "Dust Deputy" from Oneida.The price was right and the reviews convinced me to go ahead and get one. It seems like it only took a few minutes to plug up the filter on the shop vac and I'm sure the neighbors didn't appreciate the sawdust seasoning on there Barbecue pit when I blew the dust off the filter. You see I have an older shop vac that works great but wasn't designed to use a vacuum bag so the first thing I did was to modify my shop vac so I could use a bag and that worked out great. I still didn't want to fill it with sawdust as those bags are not cheap so I got the Dust Deputy. Instead of using a 5 gallon bucket I used a plastic box meant for Christmas lights with a plywood lid and it worked out great. I have posted some pictures here at Amazon showing how everything is mounted right above the shop vac so I wouldn't have to take up anymore floor space. I'm real happy with how this product works and would definitely recommend it. I'm kidding about blowing sawdust on the neighbors BBQ. That would not be too cool. Just a bit of levity. It seems that I am reviewing one of the deluxe Dust Deputy kits when in fact all I purchased was the cyclone without the buckets and hoses etc.
on May 23, 2012
Pros:

I've used this in several different ways and it works perfectly:
In the garage for general cleanup of bugs, leaves, dirt, and sand.
Directly connected to my sanders, table saw and jigsaw for sawdust/chips.
In the fireplace to pickup ashes.
My wife used it to clean out a dual charcoal/gas grill when I wasn't looking, and other than having to clean the greasy residue out of the cyclone and bucket it still worked perfectly.
Heck, I even used it on my dog and it's crate to pickup a ton of hair.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is drywall dust, but if it can separate ashes, I think it can handle it.

It comes with 2 5-gallon buckets, a length of heavy duty hose (mine was grey), right angle adapter, a small roll of copper tape, caster wheels and hardware to attach to the bottom of one of the buckets (you will need to drill the mounting holes yourself). It also came with a block of foam and some hardware to secure one of the buckets to the side of your vacuum (which I didn't use).

The lid doesn't fit on tightly like a normal bucket lid which makes it a breeze to empty, but when you turn the vacuum on it seals up nicely.

The woodwhisperer did a very nice shoot out of cyclone separators and the Dust Deputy came out on top. [...]

Cons:

The top where the cyclone connects to the lid does flex, but in my case it is the weight of the hose hanging down that is putting pressure on it. I could see this eventually leading to failure if not addressed. This could probably be negated if I built a mobile shop vacuum station as seen in ShopNotes Magazine Issue #109 to give support.

No surprise here, but the cyclone will build up a static charge sometimes. The copper tape it comes with is enough to put around the connections and on the cyclone itself. You'll hear the static when you pull one bucket out of the other to dump it's contents.

Summary:

I've had the Dust Deputy almost 6 months now and I have yet to replace the bag in my shopvac. I use the shopvac more now than I ever did because I'm not worried about changing bags out. In fact, in instances where I would normally sweep, I find myself just using the vac instead. There just isn't enough collected in the bag to justify replacing it. It basically paid for itself. I don't normally rate many things with 5 stars, but I can't recommend this one highly enough.
on February 21, 2013
Yes it works. It looks cool. It works pretty well as long as you don't feed it dust too quickly, and yes, it is pretty much the standard in small cyclone separators. So why did I take off 2 stars (I considered only giving it 2 stars, I'm that disappointed, it works but just about nothing is right with it)?
- This is supposed to be one of their more complete kits, just slap it together and use it. Instead you have to drill holes, figure out where you want to locate casters, mounting weirdness… It leads to flexibility in how you set things up, but I’m sure that it will lead to some people having some pretty hokey installs. I kind of believe that if it’s a fairly complete kit you should be able to finish it off with a screwdriver. You need wrenches, sockets, drill, drill bits, something to measure with, cut with… at a minimum.
- If you really wanted to use the casters they probably should have supplied 4, rather than 3, and they should have considered predrilling holes, yea, not really a big deal unless you’re a bit anal retentive and want them evenly spaced. With 3 casters it’s tippy if you don’t strap it to something, and if you do strap it to something I don’t know that you would use the 3 casters.
- The hardware is somewhat lacking- like there is only one washer per bolt, but they are being used to hold 2 plastic parts together, that need as much support as possible from both sides.
- Plastic… arrgg… its soft and it does exactly what you expect it to do, the flange and the lid that you’re supposed to bolt it to are too flat/don’t have enough shape to them. They distort some no matter how careful you are bolting them together. Worse, set the thing up, connect a couple of hoses to it and it flexes over a few degrees under it’s own weight… the plastic construction is just not rigid enough on it’s own. This thing is not built like a durable piece of shop equipment.
- The Hose/fittings- they supply a _really_ nice, thick hose with the kit, nicer than in the pics, and the fittings are decent quality, but why are all the fittings and all the hose ends (even the ones that are actually part of the hose) all significantly smaller than the hose ID? For that matter, all the fittings and hose ends are significantly smaller than my standard, craftsman shop vac. Without making an adaptor bushing of sorts, I don’t see any good way to use their hose with my shop vac, and all the step up and down are just restrictions hurting flow. I wouldn’t be surprised if ¼-1/3 of a larger vacuum’s power is wasted in the fitting size changes. It looks like the best solution is to use a second, generic shop vac hose from one of the hardware stores and ditch the one that they supply (or cut their ends off and use the ends tat come with the generic shop vac hose). Of course, that will cost you half the price of one of these things and I don’t understand why nothing is just sized to work with a standard size shop vac (my specific model is even shown in the instruction manual, again, not using the hose supplied with the kit.). Nice hose, but there’s no good way for me to use it.
- Using a second bucket to hold the first seems like a decent idea till you really mess with it, it adds about 3” of unnecessary height, and it’s just awkward to use
Would I buy it again? Definitely not the whole kit, I got a box full of parts that I can’t use half of, some of which I had to modify (drill…) to assemble and find out that they won’t work, so I don’t think I can realistically even try to return it if I wanted to. I think it’s weirder that just the cyclone, hose, lid and bucket cost $5 more. If I was going to get it I’d probably save $50 and get just the cyclone, assembling it to my own parts and buying a hose would be cheaper and less work than using the parts in the kit, even if I had to go out and buy a Homer or lowes bucket. For that matter, I wouldn’t use the bucket lid, I’d probably cut one out out of plywood or MDF which would be more rigid. I don’t know what to do with the hose fittings… they’re just the wrong size, the tapered fittings on this thing that is supposed to work with most ends just doesn’t work well, and I don’t understand why they didn’t just make it match the fittings on standard full size (2.5”) shop vac fittings/accessories. They’re standard enough that I can go to any hardware store, Sears… and buy accessories for a wet/dry or shop vac style vacuum and they all work. Why is this sized differently?

Honestly, by the time I turn this into something that I'll consider acceptable for use in my shop (probably build a wooden frame to support it, some wort of mount for the vacuum, decide the right way to deal with the fittings, either reenforce the plastic lid and flange or just make a wood one, and if i do that I might just make a container to mount it to the top of rather than use the 5 gallon bucket...) I'll have replaced almost all the parts in the kit and have spent as much time as it would have taken to build my own.
on August 5, 2013
I think this is probably the best product for containing dust that has ever been invented. I saw all the demos and reviews, but I was still skeptical. I finally decided to order one and when I tried it for the first time I emptied my shop VAC cleaned the filter and attached the dust deputy, Then I did my own test. I picked up dust from the shop and sucked sawdust out of a can bucket I had some in and then I said to myself (I like talking to myself. I actually understand me). Now i would really see if this thing works.

I opened up the dust, deputy and lo and behold, there was about a gallon of dust in the bottom. Then I opened my shop VAC and I was astonished to see - nothing, there wasn't a speck of dust in the VAC a little bit on the filter, but not bad. I've used this on my table saw, my miter saw even my bandsaw. I've got to say again this thing is one great invention. Now the bad part!

The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because the plastic that it's made from is pretty flimsy, You have to do something to weight it down . As a mabtter of fact, mine develop a crack on the top. I emailed the seller through Amazon, which is woodcraft. The very next morning I got an email back from them.: It said, they would replace it and in two days (Saturday no less!) it arrived -- I was floored!

All I can say is thank you woodcraft. I would not hesitate to buy from woodcraft again, and you shouldn't either.